Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking Gearing Opinions.
Quote | Reply
I'm changing from 700c to 650c wheels this season and trying to figure out my new gearing. For my riding style and terrain, I was very happy with my 53/39, 12-23 setup for 700c wheels. The only change I am making is that I want to have a slightly higher top gear. Using a gear calculator to determine gear inches I've found that a 42 front chainring with a 11-23 rear cassette will give me nearly the same gearing I had on the 700c with the small ring. Now I'm trying to pick between a 54t or 55t large chainring. The 54 matched with the 11 tooth rear yields 120 gear inches and the 55/11 yields 122.3. My old setup 53/12 yielded 116.1 gear inches. So do I go with the 54 or 55? How big of difference is there going to be with a 1 tooth difference on the front chainring? I'm tempted to go with the 54 for cadence, but worried about gearing out on big descents (but how much pedalling do you do above 40mph anyway). Any thoughts?

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Gearing Opinions. [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run 56-44 or 56-43, 12/23, 8-speed.

Just give 'er. The 56 is a dream on the flats and into a headwind.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Gearing Opinions. [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm back to 700s and a 53/39 combo, but when I rode 650s I used a 55/42 combo. I would chose a combination that allows you to stay as close to the middle of the rear cluster as possible. While the savings are small, you will save some energy by doing so. I also prefer a 12-23 over an 11-23 since I get the 16 tooth cog. It is a really good 23-24 mph combo for either a 55 with 650s or a 53 with 700s. It's nice to say that you pushed a 56x11 going with the wind or downhill, but if you crunch the numbers pedaling a couple of rpms faster or tucking a little tighter will get you the same thing.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply