Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you handle business travel?
Quote | Reply
I travel for business quite a bit and find it quite frustrating to keep honest with my training schedule. For example, I am headed to Colorado Springs this week. The altitude is always a swift kick in the pants, but I'm happy to take advantage of it. My hotel does not have a useful pool. (Unless an 8 meter length is useful.) They do have a treadmill that I use and a recumbent :-( trainer. I like to travel with my bike and resistance trainer when possible, but it can get costly. Unfortunately, my customer would rather waste money on bureaucrats and $2000 toilets than on accommodating contractors on travel. Anybody know of a way to get a stack of bicycle flight vouchers? I'm not positive that using the USAT travel agency and getting the free shipping will go over due to their service charge. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How do you handle business travel? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't say that I know any traveling secrets other than to tell a fib that you are with the USOC ( U.S. Olympic Committee) and hope that the immitated prestige will result baggage fee cooperation.

Try to pack some resistance bands (ie surgical tubing). These are great for hotel room door knobs. These are great for strength training.

Daniel
Quote Reply
Re: How do you handle business travel? [textrirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I travel a bit and have several tricks. I only bring my running shoes and then I run 2x a day. 30-45min in the morning and 45-1hr in the evening throwing in some harder efforts in the evening. I also don't sleep well so I tend to bring Ambien and either take a half one which gives me about 6hrs. Otherwise it's like the last 2 nights w/out Ambien. 8 hrs total. I do catch up on watching tv. I try not to travel with my bike unless continuing on to a race as it is just a pain in my ass to lug it all around. I'll ride the trainer extra mornings during the week or switch the workouts around to get my cycling in. 12m pools are good for 2 things, sculling and drinking beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: How do you handle business travel? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are travelling every week and for several days or more, this can be a challenge. However, if it is less than that, two suggestions:

1) Forget about cycling and running - too complicated and time consuming from my experience when travelling for business. Just take the running gear. Great thing about running is you can run literally anywhere any time with a minimal amount of gear and planning. Sometimes it can be a real adventure, running in a strange place, but that's part of the fun of it all.

2) Use the travel time as active rest , yea right, rest - you know when you recover from harder training and actually get fitter. This has to be planned out a bit more so that going into a travel stint you are wrapping up a few hard days.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually wrote an article on this, check out my site (below) and look at the articles link. In a nutshell though, here it is:

1. I am a member of an IHRSA health club and a local YMCA, both of which give me reciprocal privileges (weights, pools, traeadmill, spinning) at a boatload of IHRSA clubs all over the country. I've yet to find a city where I can't find a place to swim, bike and run. Getting up early is the hard part. :)

2. I always take: Old bike shoes w/SPD cleats (the most popular cleat on spinning bikes), running shoes, and tri top & shorts (can be used for both bike and run) and either hit a treadmill or spin class. A good hint - if you explain you are in from out of town, a lot of health clubs can wiggle you into a "full" spin class.

3. Swim gear - swim suit, goggles and Zoomers all fit easily into a carry-on (along with trainers and bike shoes for that matter.)

Would taking a bike be better - yeah, probably but also a huge pain in the butt. I've found the above to work for me very well in maintaining 100% completion of my scheduled workouts. Even one of those lame-o Lifecycles is better than nothing (IMHO anyway). Good luck!

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: How do you handle business travel? [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming: Check http://www.swimmersguide.com/default.htm for usable pools wherever you are going.

Biking: I suck it up and use the trainer, level 12, hardest program I can find.

Running: I run like a fiend as well. Perfect opportunity to see the city and get outside. I usually ask at a running shop or ask my clients if any of them are sporty types. I usually have no problem finding routes or people to run with.

Jet Lag & Food: These are my nemeses as I travel to the UK a lot. Jet Lag I just deal with, and I do my best to avoid pasties, fried pub food and greasy curries. I usually offset this by drinking too much dark, warm beer, but what the hell.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you handle business travel? [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traveling to NYC this month from Cali where I use the YMCA. NY YMCA on 72nd won't let me train there before 730am (even though they open at 530am-very uncool since I'm a member). I did some homework and picked up a room at the Melrose on 63rd which is attached to a very nice new gym with a 25m pool (and got a good nightly rate no less). No biking while I'm there. Adjusting my schedule to accomodate. There were plenty of other options (masters swim groups with visitor privs). This is the best way to go....even in Colorado. Gyms are easy to come by and so are swim groups. Even in Boise Idaho I work out at a 24hr attached to the Grove Hotel that has a pool. Plan in advance and you'll get what you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been training on the road for the last 3 months. Fortunatnly I'm travelling to San Francisco, many quality gyms. I worked a month-to-month deal. Here's how I've been training:

- spinning class, at least 2 a week. sometime I'll pull a spin bike out of the class and set it up elsewhere in the gym, put in 45 min to an hour. I use an old pair of cycling shoes with SPD cleats

- lots of running during lunch. when the weather is good I run outside, and at least once a week doing a treadmill hill workout

- swimming, 3 sessions a week

It's been working great for me. Both my running and swimming have improved significantly, my cycling has started to level off a bit. I also make sure to get a really long tough ride in on the weekend (~100 miles /w hills), a long run (11+ miles), a group swim workout.. and sometimes I brick the long ride with a short run.

mike
Quote Reply
Re: How do you handle business travel? [mpanoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marlin,

If your going to be over in london march 14-17 and want to run let me know. I'm right across from Hyde park when in london. I usually run w/ the Serpies on Sat morning but by myself the rest of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several of the replies you've gotten are great, but most of them aren't practical for me. I may be in 3 cities in a week and can't imagine even looking up facilities in each, much less carrying a bike. I always have running shoes with me. I can run anywhere and even if the weather is bad most hotels have a treadmill. Usually, the fitness room also has a life cycle as well. I try to do bricks between the two. It's also a good time to do your weight lifting if they have a crappy weight machine or two. My biggest problem is exhaustion from the travel and speaking all day, but if I can get my rear end out of my room I can usually find a way to do something healthy.
Quote Reply