Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlete hit in race Sunday...
Quote | Reply
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1150815.html

Tony Rigdon, the Logistics/Timing Coordinator of UltraMax Events (National Halfmax Championships), was hit while racing in the Steamboat Classic Triathlon in Cape Girardeau, MO this Sunday sustaining severe injuries and rendering his newly updated P3 unrecognizable. Another competitor was struck by a different driver during the same race.

When will this carnage end? This pattern is becoming ridiculous...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete hit in race Sunday... [AmericanFlyers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How come is always the 1979 vans that hit people? Thats wild that two people got struck in what was probably a relatively small race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S*&%! He's one of our sponsored athletes! Anyone have an update?

Alicia

http://www.trisports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great...now it is unsafe to even ride on the roads during races...(if there were 2 hits, that obviously raises questions on the event saftey)...seems that Ernest was a top competitor, with a good chance of being the lead biker in that race....hope it is not too serious and he fully recovers quickly
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete hit in race Sunday... [alarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard he got back to Columbia yesterday. His jaw/teeth are in bad shape, broken bones around his eye, collarbone, among other things.

Good news is no brain injuries, I'm told.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very sorry to hear about this as well as disgusted to hear about this.. My heart goes out to he and his family especially after what I am going through. Any more word on his injuries? You just don't expect these things to happen, especially during a race. My prayers go out to he and his family. Please keep us updated on his condition.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Post deleted by gwaveswims [ In reply to ]
Re: Triathlete hit in race Sunday... [gwaveswims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Head on?

I'd like to know the specifics of how he came to hit a van head on.

Crazy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the update. I will look forward to hearing from Tony. I'm very sorry to hear about the extent of his injuries, and the loss of his bike. My advice for that is to collect every receipt he has and submit it to the insurance company of the driver who hit him (who I assume was caught, cited, and is currently sweating balls hoping not to be sued). And, as has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, barring that submit it to your homeowner's insurance. If he doesn't have receipts, have him contact the bike shops where he's purchased the gear. Bike shops are usually very accommodating in helping people who've been hit by cars.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Alicia

www.trisports.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by gwaveswims [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please give Tony our best wishes for a speedy and more importantly complete recovery! Some of us StL folks know Tony only in passing at U-max events but respect and appreciate everything he does and does for the local triathlon scene!

Get Well Tony!!

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete hit in race Sunday... [Tri-Wog StL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes! I forget how small and close knit this community is, i've been brought to tears so many times since Sunday! As some of you know, I'm really fortunate to be alive... I don't really remember the accident, apparantley I was talking about it when I was first brought in, but I don't remember it anymore. The weather had been wet and rainy all morning, but I didn't leave until the 5th wave, I was helping out the eventual winner, Delbert Marriott with timing the event, the plan was I would leave after he got finished... So by the time I left the course had dried up nicely. My swim went great! I've been stuck with an average swim, typically for 500 yards I would expect to average 1:40 per hundred, but I've been swimming 10k + yards a week trying to improve. My official time is 15th overall, but I came in on 500 yards and thought I had another 50 yards left... So I flipped and went an extra 5 or 10 yards before I looked back and saw the counter waving her arms at me... so my time would have been faster than the 7:35 I got credited with...

Once out on the bike I was cruising. I had worked out a trade, my 87 Saab 900 for a set of white carbon Bontrager handlebars, the floyd landis edition. They were a $700+ set of handle bars and they looked totally sweet with the red and white cervelo! Plus I was using a new to me Hed 3 trispoke on the front as well... all told I probably had about 1,000 worth of uprades on my bike that I was checking out for the first time... I was really going fast and with the dry pavement I fully expected to place second on the day, but thought Delbert's first place finish was probably out of my reach... I remember the first few miles, but I don't know when I hit the car or how it happened... I've been told I was doing around 26 mph and the car tried to cut a corner in front of me, like maybe they were trying to get in a driveway... Someone said it looked like they were doing 50...

That's my p3, notice the crack in the downtube. And that's a hed 3 carbon disc that is almost bent in half. And those new bontrager carbon handle bars are in 4 pieces...

Here's another image:

Maybe I shouldn't be posting any pictures of my injuries, hopefully nobody has really weak stomachs... I guess I looked worse than this initially, these are all taken on Tuesday after I had been in the hospital since sunday:

Hopefully I haven't ruined anyone's dinner! Remember to wear those helmets! I gaurentee you if I hadn't had mine on I wouldn't be here today... Thanks for all the support and well wishes! Especially thanks to all my friends in Columbia Multisport Club and the TriSPorts.com racing team! I was really looking forward to going to my award ceremony with the TriSports.com logo on... Hope to see everyone in a race soon!

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Last edited by: tonythetriguy: Feb 20, 08 19:52
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete hit in race Sunday... [tonythetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my goodness.

Tony, I am glad you are alive. Those pictures are simultaneously terrible and incredible. I'm amazing you weren't hurt worse -- you must be one tough triathlete.

Please get well soon. Hopefully, people here can help you out with all the things you are going to need in the coming weeks/months. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Best wishes,

Mike Mullins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony

Glad to hear you survived. I would not recommend you post any further discriptions or accounts of the accident. In the event this matter ends up in litigation, your above comments are discoverable and perhaps admissable.

Good luck with your recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank God you survived that. And hey ... it's almost hard to tell, but that looks like a smile in those photos. What a spirit! You're an inspiration!

A couple of things:

From your girlfriend's post, I know you're really concerned about your bike. I assume you know who did this to you and they've been cited or charged? Also, do they have insurance? If so, you should be able to get a property settlement very quickly. I was hit in exactly the same manner 3 1/2 years ago ... teenage driver made an unsignaled left turn directly into my path and hit me head-on. I had a check for over $5,000 to replace my bike within 3 weeks. My LBS prepared the estimate for replacement and my wife got it to the insurance people.

My injuries were extensive and I got a very nice settlement that was roughly 4-times the actual medical charges. Three times is customary and it can go up from there depending on severity of the injuries and the amount of pain and suffering. Unfortunately, I never lost consciousness. I was wide awake for all that I endured. But I was told repeatedly that I'd have gotten more had I lost consciousness. So ... good on you. ;-)

I've also read that you're anxious and eager to get back. Good for you! I've had a couple of bad wrecks over the years and my docs are always really conservative. They're used to treating little old ladies and doing hip and knee replacements in old men. Be careful and heed what the doctor says, but push that envelope, too.

I loved your pictures ... not of your broken bike, but of your unbroken spirit. Way to go, man!

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh my god dude, i really hope you can recover from that accident and hop back onto that horse. get well soon dude.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy Effin' Moly Tony; you literally look happy to be alive!

The inability of non-cycling drivers to correctly discern bike speed is one of the biggest risks we face as riders and racers. I'm at the point in my life now where I assume every car approaching me on a residential or business roadway is going to turn in front of me.

Glad you survived and will live to race again. Great pics BTW.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is absolutely amazing that you are in such good spirits! After seeing what's left of that bike, it's pretty damn miraculous that you are still alive and that you seem to be on your way to a full recovery. Best wishes on a speedy return to doing what you obviously love to do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dear Sir,

Congratulations on your successful demo of our 1979 Vandura Tradesman. We hope that you found its solid construction superior to that of our competitors, and clearly built for the long haul.

At this time, we believe you may also be interested in these fine products!:

The highly fashionable Vertebreak(tm) carbon fiber spine.

SuperFlyweight "Road grill" dentures. Now available with "gold teefus" insert to improve your street cred.

New for 2006!: Pearl Izumi Defecator 2000 Sport pants with spacious "dookie pouch", perfect for those "oh shit!" moments without upsetting your cadence.

Magic Legs. (Gump division)

"Guide to north american road signs", surplus driver education handbook, 1972.

Stubborn Mule-brand wheelchair handcrank. Since 1871, our motto remains: "power is the devil, lord give me upper body strength, and devil these dead limbs"

Powerbar Enermax Plus bars. Simply the best. Combine with our...

TurboBlendinator Blender/Juicer. Now featuring a 5hp motor and titanium blades, you can drink anything! Our racers agree... "intestines optional!"

National Forestry Service guide to "recreational bicycle trails". 2004 edition.

Pearl Izumi "AeroColo" Colostomy bag, with optional wind fairing.

And, last but not least, our limited edition "Steelman beats Ironman" T-shirt. A vandura exclusive! The perfect souvenir! available in black, blue, red, or "lance" yellow.

Wishing you happy trails in 2006!

Chet Strongbumper
Regional Sales Rep, Eastern US
TriEagle Products
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am definitely not showing Mrs. Last Tri those pics!

God speed on your recovery Tony.

Quote | Reply
Tony,

Keep your spirits up and take one day at a time. I was struck by an unknown motorist on the morning of April 15th and suffered multiple injuries (fractured left acetabulum/left hip-pelvis requiring extensive surgery, lumbar spine compression fracture, left ankle fracture, and right shoulder separation). I can relate more than most what you are going through right now. It is amazing that you, like me, weren't killed. I have an amazing support system and it sounds like you do too. Good luck with your surgery Friday. I am now post-op day #11. Each day gets a little better physically but it's the emotional toll that is hard to deal with. I hope your recovery goes well and quickly. I am looking at a year to year and a half of recovery and rehab. I, like you, can't wait to race again. Funny how we both ride Cervelo P3s (mine was a P3SL). The pics of your's look absolutely horrifying. I still haven't seen mine yet as it's at the police station in the property division as evidence since mine was a hit and run driver. I do know that the carbon seatpost was completely snapped off at the top of the seat tube. Other than that I have no clue what it looks like but I am just happy to be alive. Stay positive and remember that your bike is replaceable but your life is not. I will include you in my prayers.

Robert

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony, you are one tough mother! hit head on, walked out of the hospital and have plenty of smiles. Hey, it's great to be alive! you'll be kicking arse again before you know it, patience is the hardest thing.

speedy recovery to you!

Kitty
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete hit in race Sunday... [bikelanehog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
omfg, good stuff! :)

Best of luck in your recovery Tony.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, man. I hate to see this.
I am another of the (probably many) athletes in the STL tri community whom has benefitted from your involvement.
I'll be hoping for a speedy recovery, but from your attitude, that seems assured.
Good luck with your surgery later this week, and let me/us know if there is anything you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh. My. God. Tony, you are one bad bad mofo. A lucky mofo. I will definitely be keeping you in my thoughts. Much good karma headed your way, my friend.

_______
t
Quote Reply

Prev Next