Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

choosing an ironman
Quote | Reply
i'm looking at doing my first IM in 2004 (IMLP, IMWI, or IMFLA). i made the trip to ironman wisconsin to watch and check out the course last year. this year i plan on doing the same at IMLP. after doing a lot of reading and talking to people in my area who have raced ironman distance events, i planned on signing up for that race on site the day after the race when it opens. that is, however, until i checked out the new interactive course comparison tool on the ironmanlive website. now i'm not so sure IMLP would be the right race for me. i live in southwestern ontario (near detroit, MI) and it is VERY FLAT. we have a few inclines in the road, but that is absolutely it (and i can't afford a computrainer). i've been racing olympic distance (on moderately hilly courses) for 3 years now and am a middle of the pack finisher (below average swim, above average bike, about average run). i've heard IMFLA is difficult because you don't change positions much, but coming from a flat area where i'm down in my aerobars almost all the time, maybe that would be better for me? the hilly runs at IMLP and IMWI also make me worry. also, about the salt water ocean swim at FLA...any thoughts for someone used to swimming in the great lakes and man-made lakes? any thought, comments or considerations would be greatly appreciated. this may be the only iron distance event i get a chance to do due to the time investment involved in the training), so i want to be sure i make the right choice. thanks!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: choosing an ironman [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can speak on the IM Florida thing. I've done IMFL 1x and Gulf Coast 1/2IM 2X which is just 1/2 of the IM course. It's so flat it's eerie. Yeah, it's boring being in the aero position for 6hrs but it's also alot easier than facing the hills of IMLP. The run is also pancake flat and really fast. The gulf can get whipped into frenzy but wetsuits are almost always legal and the buoyancy in the water is excellent. It really makes for a great first IM. Just my opinion. Oh yeah., the temps in November are usually perfect. Highs in the 70's or low 80's, lows in the 60s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a fellow Canadian I would recommend none of the above and choose our own Ironman Canada (one of the best races in the world). You can likely qualify at the Peterborough half ironman if you have trouble getting in and it is definitely worth the trip out west.
Quote Reply
Re: choosing an ironman [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just wondering, how in the world could you be at MOO and decide to NOT do it ?? unbelievable. . . . . .:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first Ironman was IMFLA. I also live 20 minutes south of detroit, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Whoever says that IMFLA is flat doesn't come from this area. Granted, it probably has significantly less, and smaller, hills than the other IM's, but it definitely had significantly more, and larger, hills than I'm used too. There are sections where it seems like it is non stop rolling. As far as swimming in the ocean goes, I threw up a bunch of times due to the salt water, but I am a below average swimmer, and never swam in waves as big as were at florida. Another thing to consider is weather. It was great race day, but if the race would have been one day later, the humidity would have killed me. I'm not sure if humidity has been a problem in other years.

As far as IMFLA goes, you don't have to worry about it being too flat and boring coming from your area, and the ocean swim is a consideration, it took a lot out of me. Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
I did Utah (joke) and WI last year and my biggest [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
regret is not signing up for WI again, that said I am doing CDA so I am ok with that.

I trained in Chicago, you want to talk about flat? Moo was a trip, that said the bike is very doable, it just depends what you want to get out of it.

Are you concerned about qualifying? if not then there is no difference in which ever IM you choose. FL might be flat, it just means that it is that much faster and places a huge emphasis on a smaller range of muscles.

Moooo is rolling and turny and places a lesser strain of a wider range of muscles.

USA and Can have brutal climbs by all accounts.

Unless you are thinking about qualifying the differences in the courses are truly minimal.
Quote Reply
Re: I did Utah (joke) and WI last year and my biggest [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best thing about IM Wisconsin wasn't the course, although that was nice too. It was the people. Coming from the D.C. area, I'm used to pretty salty people. The people in Wisconsin were so nice it made the entire trip worthwhile.

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: choosing an ironman [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops ... bad wording on my with respect to the "none of the above". I'm actually thinking of doing one of those 3 this year if I can get an entry at Muskoka. What I meant was that Ironman Canada is such an awesome race with great community support that it would be at the top of my list for my first ironman (it was mine in 1999 and I loved it and there is a reason it sells out in under a day). Also, as a Canadian, our crummy dollar goes a lot further in Penticton than south of the border. I'm considering Wisconsin and Florida for the potential to get a Kona slot a year in advance. I didn't race in Wisconsin this year and from all accounts, it was a great race (Graham and the IM North America crew can be counted on to hold good races) and the crowds sounded unbelievable for a North American race (I did Roth in 2001 and can relate to huge crowds and how much fun they can be).
Quote Reply
IMCANADA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allan,

yeah, canada has come highly recommended by a number of people i've talked to about this. unfortunately, it's not an option for me because i'll be bringing along my wife (who fortunately also does triathlons and is very supportive of this project), a less than 2 year old baby, and my parents (to help said wife watch said baby). so i need somewhere i can actually reach by car versus by plane. thanks for the help and advice though, it's much appreciated!

- The Who
Last edited by: sydnrusty: Feb 2, 03 16:55
Quote Reply
Re: IMCANADA [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say to go to Wisconsin if you're planning on driving and live in southwestern Ontario. I drove, with my wife kids and inlaws too, to Penticton in '99 and the long drive can mess you up a bit for the race (I actually think that I tapered too much and had so much energy that sleeping wasn't going on much the week before!).
Quote Reply
Re: IMCANADA [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still ove IMLP the best...(but IMWI is kinda local for me, and I hate most of the people here ;-) )

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: IMCANADA [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the '99 Ironman Florida and I'm from Detroit. I didn't have any issues with the water and hadn't trained in open-water besides what I did the week before the race. I found the bike to be very flat and boring. By mile 70 I just wanted to get it over with. I saw significant cheating (pace lines, a peloton of about 50 riders) and very little enforcement, which made the bike leg frustrating. (Hopefully that's improved.) The run was non-descript except for running past a bar of rowdy patrons. IMHO, the race highlights were the volunteers, weather and ocean swim. Also, I'm a strong swimmer and above average biker and runner.
Quote Reply