Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [lcparlatto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lcparlatto,

I can't access that attachment at the moment. Might you be able to pull the Pad Y (might be called Pad Stack) and Pad X (could be refered to as Pad Reach) and saddle height off of that and post those here?

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [lcparlatto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I'm on holiday at 1mbs and the fit sheet finally came down. The medium CF will work but the Small is FAR better. Get the small - the 70mm stem that comes stock will be perfect, you're dead-center in the pad range, and the seat post will reveal both holes to mount the rear bottle cage holder if you like.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [matz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I am looking at buying a Speedmax CF 7.0. It’s a first for me so unfortunately no Pad Y and Pad X.
I am 176 cm tall with an inseam of 81cm.

Since I’m able to get a solid deal on a size S I was wondering if there’s a good way to get a size S fit to my body.

Thanks for your help,

matz,
I've got the sense that you might be eyeing a used bike so I want to preface this by saying that I'm spec'ing a disc brake Speedmax CF. If you're looking at a rim brake CF do let me know here as that bike has different geometry.

Based on your rather leggy morphology I'd guess your Pad Y to be in the neighborhood of 640mm and your Pad X ~440mm. Based on that the best CF for you is the small. That bike came with a 70mm stem and that will place you in a nice spot with lots of room to move pads fore/aft, up/down to find your perfect spot.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

thanks for the fast reply. It’s the current model cf 7.0 disc that I found in the Canyon Outlet so you’re assumptions were right.

Best,
Matz
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, for sure:

Arm pad stack BB: 640mm
Arm pad reach: 444mm
Arm Pad reach BB: 433mm

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
SpencerR,
The Exit MkII is a great fit bike, it's the one I use - It gives me confidence to hear that the proper tooling was utilized. There's a lot of logic behind using a crank (170mm) that will come on the bike. Bicycle manufacturers (and component manufacturers for that matter) are a bit behind the curve in learning about the value of short cranks. Innovators like John Cobb (Speed and Comfort) are quicker at following science, trends and can produce short cranks far faster than the big boys (Shiman, SRAM, Campy) and bike companies have to catch up spec'ing their builds with the stuff we need. I'm confident you'd be better off with a crank shorter than a 170 but who wants to buy a brand new bike, pull the cranks that came on it and buy shorter cranks for Speedandcomfort.com or Rotor and install. It's a bummer but for those chasing perfection it's a must. The cranks are one part of this story... the saddle and where you perch is another.

There are triathlon specific saddles: ISM Adamo, again Jcobb at SpeedAndComfort, and others that make saddles specifically for triathlon. And then you have to find the model that's comfy for you - and there's no other way to do it than to get in your position and have the saddle put under you. The Canyon Speedmax you order will very likely come with a Selle Italia Watt Superflow - you might perch out on that and love it. If you don't start trying other saddles.

Shorter cranks would be nice. The proper saddle is MANDATORY. Now, here's where it'll effect your fit. When you move to the nose of the saddle you're going to be more powerful.. To make that position work you're gonna want your front end (read: aerobars) to move forward for sure and probably down a bit. So, back to the prescription: it's still a Speedmax size Medium with the stock 80mm stem....but now the arm cups might be in the middle hole (you can adjust this yourself in 90seconds: velcro pads peel off, 4mm hex bolts come out and move to a new hole). And, maybe the aerobar pedestal might be 45 or 50mm instead of 55 (you can solve this yourself in ~3min: 5mm bolts come out, different size spacers go in with appropriate bolts to match - it's all in the box).

You should order the Medium with confidence. When it arrives put it in the position the fitter created and start riding. You'll likely make some tweaks after each of the first few rides: cockpit forward, cockpit down, aero extensions tilted up and grips turned in a hair, saddle nose down 1 degree, etc...... and long term changes: 160mm cranks, sexy wheels, some BTA (between the aerobars) hydration system, etc.

My mom came from super humble beginnings and she's done well. In her life she's owned 4 homes. She once told me "your never finished improving you house 'til the day you sell it". I feel that way about bicycles.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Following up to let you know I got the Medium Speedmax CF8 put together and ready to rock. I am taking it up to Pedro Dungo in San Fran on Thursday for a final fitting. Will get some pics/final thoughts posted by this weekend to see how the prescription of medium ends up!

Thanks again for your time
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [SpencerR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure that Pedro tests you with 155mm cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is that, Jim?

How would one put shorter crank arms on the Ultegra drive train that the CF 8 comes with?
Last edited by: SpencerR: Jan 23, 23 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [SpencerR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Pedro doesn't have a dynamic fit bike, you probably shouldn't be going to him.

In my experience, most people need 155mm cranks for the best fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He does have a dynamic fit bike. I don't have the coin right now to drop on a whole new crank/ring/bottom bracket set up for something like Rotor cranks. I will certainly have him dial in my fit on my current rig, and then make me recommendations for when I can eventually swap to shorter cranks. FWIW: He is SlowTwitch's highest rated fitter nationwide.
Last edited by: SpencerR: Jan 23, 23 17:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Following up to let you know I got the Medium Speedmax CF8 put together and ready to rock. I am taking it up to Pedro Dungo in San Fran on Thursday for a final fitting. Will get some pics/final thoughts posted by this weekend to see how the prescription of medium ends up!

Thanks again for your time

SpencerR,
Great news. I'll be eager to hear/see how it goes.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aiming to order a Speedmax CF SLX. The Canyon size calculator puts me on a size M, but not sure to if sizing up for a long reach.

Latest bike fit (on a Argon 18 E119):

Stack: 66.5 cm
Reach: 55 cm

Rider Height: 181 cm
Rider Inseam: 83 cm

Any help much appreciated! T
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen,

I know you mean Pad Y (for Stack) and Pad X for (Reach).. now my question is is that Pad X of 550mm to center of pad?

Also, what's your saddle height?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Thanks for swift reply.

Yes, it is reach to mid pad, see photo below.
Saddle height is 74 cm. Thanks again. T

Last edited by: Mulen: Feb 2, 23 0:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

Ian, really appreciate your help.

I went to the tririg site to see what wider arm pads they have available and found these "wingspan extenders". Do you think they would work on the CFR to extend the width? This would be a neat solution.

https://tririg.com/collections/scoops/products/wingspan-extenders

Dimm,
I don't know the answer to this but would demand a response from Tri Rig before I purchase. (and then jump back in here to let me know please).

Ian
Ian, I wrote to tririg and they said that they need the CFR's bolt pattern dimensions of the mounting plates to confirm that their extenders will fit. Asked Canyon and they refused to provide any data saying this may invalidate the warranty and they strongly advise against it. So unfortunately have nothing definitive to report back. Just wonder how Canyon were thinking about 195cm+ tall guys riding their XL bikes with 175mm max pad width...

Dimm

Dimm,
Thanks for keeping me in the loop. It helps me be better with what I do here. I'm so sorry this isn't happening as smoothly as you like. Ironically Jan Frodeno is your height and how he rides, what he needed has a lot to do with how this bike was designed. His pad width is super narrow - so it's not so much about height as it is about shoulder mobility. And yes, invalidating warranty is a legit thing and it has to be especially in the litigious society we've created here in the US . Bike makers have to draw a line to protect themselves from everything and everybody who might want to... say..3D print something at home, attach it to a bike, have that dissolve under them while riding and want recompense from an entity who really isn't responsible. I gave that a lot of thought when I drilled holes in the frame of my old Cervelo S2 so I could take it from mechanical to electronic shifting.

Ian

Dimm,

I purchased the wingspan extenders and the full open back carbon arm cups from Tririg, and installed them on my Speedmax CF SLX. They are awesome as I am now more comfortable with the wider fit and the arm cups provide some extra support for my forearms.
Last edited by: Markrob: Feb 2, 23 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw this Frodisimo version - believe it was launched today. Looks like stock available

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Aiming to order a Speedmax CF SLX. The Canyon size calculator puts me on a size M, but not sure to if sizing up for a long reach.

Latest bike fit (on a Argon 18 E119):

Stack: 66.5 cm
Reach: 55 cm

Rider Height: 181 cm
Rider Inseam: 83 cm

Mulen,
Based on the numbers you've giving me (Pad Y of 655mm, Seat Height of 740mm, and Pad X to rear of pad ~505), the answer is no. There is not a Canyon Speedmax that will fit you in SLX (same geo as CFR) or in the CF. To meet you pad height and length we have to go with an XL and then the seat height will not comply.

Based on the morphology you've given me (heigh 181cm, inseam 83cm) I would have put your Pad Y at ~630 and your Pad X ~475 - and then the right Canyon Speedmax SLX would be a Medium with long stem, low spacer + tilt wedge or long stem mid spacer.

Normally I'd want to try and understand how/why are you riding in something of an unorthodox postion - but you've got a bike that looks like it's been ridden and the presumption is thay you're comfortable at 655/505... so... if you've got more info to offer me or perhaps, if you are uncertain of your position, post a vdeo up and let me see where you're riding, crank length, info on how feel in aero after 45min, 2 hours.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Markrob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Markrob wrote:
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

Ian, really appreciate your help.

I went to the tririg site to see what wider arm pads they have available and found these "wingspan extenders". Do you think they would work on the CFR to extend the width? This would be a neat solution.

https://tririg.com/collections/scoops/products/wingspan-extenders

Dimm,
I don't know the answer to this but would demand a response from Tri Rig before I purchase. (and then jump back in here to let me know please).

Ian
Ian, I wrote to tririg and they said that they need the CFR's bolt pattern dimensions of the mounting plates to confirm that their extenders will fit. Asked Canyon and they refused to provide any data saying this may invalidate the warranty and they strongly advise against it. So unfortunately have nothing definitive to report back. Just wonder how Canyon were thinking about 195cm+ tall guys riding their XL bikes with 175mm max pad width...

Dimm

Dimm,
Thanks for keeping me in the loop. It helps me be better with what I do here. I'm so sorry this isn't happening as smoothly as you like. Ironically Jan Frodeno is your height and how he rides, what he needed has a lot to do with how this bike was designed. His pad width is super narrow - so it's not so much about height as it is about shoulder mobility. And yes, invalidating warranty is a legit thing and it has to be especially in the litigious society we've created here in the US . Bike makers have to draw a line to protect themselves from everything and everybody who might want to... say..3D print something at home, attach it to a bike, have that dissolve under them while riding and want recompense from an entity who really isn't responsible. I gave that a lot of thought when I drilled holes in the frame of my old Cervelo S2 so I could take it from mechanical to electronic shifting.

Ian

Dimm,

I purchased the wingspan extenders and the full open back carbon arm cups from Tririg, and installed them on my Speedmax CF SLX. They are awesome as I am now more comfortable with the wider fit and the arm cups provide some extra support for my forearms.

GREAT NEWS!!! Thanks for the follow up.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian! Thanks. I have PMed you. Thanks again, mate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much Ian! You sound confident I am a medium which gives makes me feel better about. I just wanted to make sure I was not a large, but wouldn't the pad y/x estimates you gave me put me close to a large? Thanks again for your time and expertise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T.

You look great in the video! The combination of a long torso and the comfort you've found from the extended arm position is was results in the long cockpit. That's the bit that will make the prescribing a bit more of a challenge. It has to be a medium SLX for the seat height to work and from there we've seen a few after market items that can help extend the cockpit. I haven't yet seen one in real life, just pics so I can't advise on that yet.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Markrob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Markrob wrote:
ianpeace wrote:

Thank you! What is the model of the cups?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Jdunnigan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Thank you so much Ian! You sound confident I am a medium which gives makes me feel better about. I just wanted to make sure I was not a large, but wouldn't the pad y/x estimates you gave me put me close to a large? Thanks again for your time and expertise.

Jdunnigan,
You're very close to a large and.. while most folks can fit on two sizes (and some three) if you get the large I fear that you won't be able to go as low as you might like in the front end. The Pad X can work on both but that Pad Y that I'm prescribing is 3mm below the limits of the Large but in a nice, sweet-spot on the Medium.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gracias Hermano! Appreciated feedback!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again Ian! That makes sense. I know you also work with QR do you think an XPR or the Canyon speedmax CF 7 disc etap would work better fit wise for me? Those were the two bikes I was between. Once again, greatly appreciate your insight and assistance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next