Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Resting HR?
Quote | Reply
Whats the average Resting Heart Rate of you triathletes??

National average in UK is 76bpm I think - but thats for public, not athletes.

Mine is 45bpm, I was wondering how good that is compared to proper athletes - the Ironmen amongst you (and women!)
Quote Reply
Re: Resting HR? [swift_sam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pros probably average between 35-40 while age groupers probably tend to be in the 40's, the better ones in the low 40's and the slower ones in the high 40's.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Resting HR? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slow age groupers in high 40s?????

Whats a slow age grouper then?? Thats almost half the resting hr of the 'average'??

And what constitutes a good performance in Sprint/Olymp/Half and Full Ironman??

I would have thought - 60 mins, 2hrs, 4.5hrs?, 10hrs?? - I dont want to begrudge any good athletes - good times - anyone who can do all 3 sports in a row is awesome in my opinion!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Resting heart rate is simply a measure of aerobic fitness in most people. People don't finish an IM without a pretty good degree of aerobic fitness. Of course, there will be exceptions. It doesn't take a lot of aerobic fitness to get down into the 50's for most healthy young people. 70's is normal for sedentary people./ weekend warriors.

That is not the case with sprint triathlons etc because you do not need to have exceptional aerobic fitness to do one of these.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I measured mine a couple of times last week and it was 34bpm and I'm certainly no pro - I just hope to qualify for Hawaii sometime in the next couple of years. I don't know how much a function of fitness resting heart rate is though. I think there are possibly other factors involved such as your age, physiology, and genetics but I'm not sure. Maybe someone in the know will chime in here...
Quote Reply
Re: Resting HR? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, resting HR is a function of fitness. To be precisely accurate, it is a measure of an individual's fitness level, of course with the exceptions of disease and/or drug interactions. Genetically, there are people with exceptionally low rates that aren't necessarily in good shape, and vice versa. But, if you know your resting HR (that is when you wake up calmly in the AM without an alarm, and take it before you move around), you will see it drop as you get more fit.

I knew a fellow years ago that, although he was only in decent aerobic condition, had a very low resting HR in the mid-30's. He studied to be a Marine biologist. Unfortunately, he was found to have an abnormally pronounced mammalian diving reflex...so that when he tried to get SCUBA certified, he failed. As he submerged, his HR would drop into the 20's. NOT GOOD. At rates approach 30, the incidence of dysrhythmias increases exponentially, and this can result in ventricular fibrillation, which will kill you if you don't convert to another rhythm soon.

When I get into top shape, my HR gets as low as 40 (it was as low as 36 in college). At this point, I have to be careful to avoid caffeine, because I will start to have arrhythmias at this low rate...these arrhythmias are generally benign, just PAC's (premature atrial contractions) but it lets me know to lay off the stimulants.

Take care of your tickers! They aren't indestructable. Pay attention to anything that is not normal for you as you go through all of these training and racing stresses. It could save your life to pay attention.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Resting HR? [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well thanks. I'm substantially freaked out. I should know better than to start looking at posts about hearts. I was the only kid I knew who "had a Cardiologist". I've always had some interesting arrhythmias and some sort of fibrillation which was never fully diagnosed. When I'm in shape and wake up (without and alarm) my HR is usually in the mid 30s, but I'm no elite athlete. I haven't been to a Cardiologist in quite a while, guess it's time to go.

BTW, I can always "feel" when I've had caffiene. It definitely has an immediate effect on the heart.
Quote Reply
Re: Resting HR? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to frighten anyone. BUT, if you are lucky enough to have certain arrhythmias, they can be treated ways other than drugs. For instance, Catheter ablation is relatively new (and it sure beats open heart conduction pathway ablation), and can remove the offending tissue/conduction pathways so that you never have the problem again. I'm not an expert, by any means, it's just that you might be able to be treated in a way that prevents you from having other related problems. And the treatment may be so new, that it wasn't available back when you were a kid...or the diagnosis wasn't as good back then.

I'd suggest going to someone that works with athletes, though. Some people just don't understand athlete's problems as well as others.

Quote Reply
30 is kind of high [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check this...
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~mnballab/training.htm

the top free divers can use relaxation techniques to
reduce their heart rate to as low as 4bpm!!!

basically, only the brain still receives O2....

don't try this at home ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 30 is kind of high [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

the top free divers can use relaxation techniques to
reduce their heart rate to as low as 4bpm!!!

Quote Reply
I had RF (catheter) ablation in July 2001 for [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PSVT, surgery was 5-6 hours (45 minutes burning the bad pathway and 4-5 hours testing to ensure it was done correctly)

While there are wonders of modern medicine dont F**k around with your heart it is simply not worth it.

I was not allowed to do anything for 10 days afterwards so that the entry wounds healed but 14 days afterwards I did Mrs T's and a month after that I ran Columbus Half and set a PR and within 12 months I finished 2 IM's so thank god for the marvels of modern medicine.

To answer the question though, resting HR is high 30's / low 40's as seen on Holter Monitors. Max HR is 210-215 the last time I checked but have not been there for a while.

Could always go for another stress test I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: I had RF (catheter) ablation in July 2001 for [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was in the best shape of my life, my resting HR only got down to ~52. I was trying to break 30:00 in the 10k at that time so I was in decent shape. However, among my college team, I did tend to have one of the higher resting HRs, especially of the runners below 32 in the 10k. This has always troubled me to some extent. I'm trying to get back to this level of aerobic fitness, albeit at an older age, so I'm interested to see where the old HR ends up.
Quote Reply
Re: I had RF (catheter) ablation in July 2001 for [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twenty years ago, just out of college, when I was running my best (high 29 10km, low 14 5km) my resting heart rate when I woke up in the mornings was 28 - 29. Now, even when in my best shape, morning heart rate is 36 - 37.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Too many studs [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You studs get me depressed sometimes. When I was a kid in sub three hour marathon shape the lowest my HR ever got was the high 50s. Now on a good day it gets into the low 60s. My max these days is somewhere in the 190s. When I am a coach potato it gets up in the mid to high 70s.
Quote Reply
Re: I had RF (catheter) ablation in July 2001 for [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My resting heartrate when I get up is usually 28. By the time I get to the gym and move around a bit, when I stop to check it during the day it sits around 32. When it gets to 40 I know something is wrong

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: I had RF (catheter) ablation in July 2001 for [Tommy Nelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tommy, when your heart rate gets up to 40, you must feel like you need a Valium to calm down! That's low! Actually, sometimes when I am at work I'll take my HR, and it occasionally is 48-49...usually it is more along the 56-58 range when I'm working. I can also tell if I have a fever by my HR...higher than 60? Fever. If I ever wonder if I'm overtrained, I watch it closely in the am. If it isn't in the lower 40's when I wake up, I take the day off.

Quote Reply
Re: I had RF (catheter) ablation in July 2001 for [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes... max is 207, so there's quite a range. I've never actually thought to check it when I've had a fever, but then I don't actually remember the last time I had a fever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My resting heart rate has been as low as 32 BPM but is about 47 right now since I'm not in great shape. Although I'm 41 I can get my monitor to say 200 with a really hard effort.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
How about women and smaller people? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Id be interested to hear from smaller folk (women and folks under 150lbs)

I believe it is generally acknowledged that bigger athletes have bigger hearts, and thus, a predisposition towards a lower RHR. How big are you folks with the extremely low RHRs?

I am female, 5'3", 130, RHR 40 (+/-5bpm). Max 180-190 (depending on activity).
Quote Reply
Re: I had RF (catheter) ablation in July 2001 for [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Lord. Max HR of 210-215. Mine is, well, quite a bit lower.
Quote Reply
Re: How about women and smaller people? [Ziva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I weigh 150 soaking wet. Smaller people tend to have faster heartrates accross the spectrum, resting, max, or while active. RHR is not an indicator of aerobic fitness, rather it is a piece of the puzzle that describes an individual's fitness level.

tommy
Quote Reply
I guess I just suck [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with ajfranke on this one. I trained for an IM last year up to 20 hrs a week with a full time job and my resting heart rate was NEVER lower than 55, even out of bed. I knew there was something wrong with me =)

I am definitely not gifted by any sense of the word.
Quote Reply
Maybe MOP for a reason [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe these high heartrates have something to do with why we are likely to be MOP forever. Kona is a lovely place to watch a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe MOP for a reason [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that some of the people here may be taking their heart rate and using the same math women use to describe their age and weight...."Just subtract a few digits, who will ever know?"

Please...Not that I doubt every one, just that I dont really beleive that everyone here but Art and I are not sitting in the 30bpm range while we eat Fritos with gobs of fat free sour cream on them watching TV.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply

Prev Next