Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tegaderm/second skin question
Quote | Reply
I took a spill yesterday that resulted in some nasty scrapes on my legs. Bought some tegaderm to cover up the worst of it, but I have a question....

Both scrapes are "oozing" quite a bit. They have formed little pouches of liquid under the bandage. The directions say to leave it on for up to 7 days, but should I change it if the wound has produced that much liquid within like 5 hours?

Thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: Tegaderm/second skin question [SwimBikeRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.obra.org/wound_care.html
Generally, not the Tegaderm but the dressing that is absorbing the liquid, possibly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say wash with soap and water and then apply the tegaderm. Don't use peroxide or betadine. Recent studies have shown that using peroxide or iodine solutions actually kills forming skin cells and delays healing. Soap and water only and maybe some neosporin is all you really neeed to heal stuff like road rash.

Make sure to keep it covered to keep stuff like lint out.

And not to sound like your mother, but no open wounds in the pool.

Fighting gravity on a daily basis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best stuff out there for this type of wound is by Johnson & Johnson and is called Tielle - basically a super sticky outer stretchy latex layer that sticks well, but doesn't irritate or pull off skin and an inner layer that soaks up fluid and expands to about 5x its size. Amazing stuff really - flesh tone colored too.

Also, if it is oozing that much, a little compression and/or elevation at night will help with that. Too much "oozing" serous fluid will slow down healing some from the skin maceration.

Quote | Reply
I love Tegaderm. Duoderm is thicker, and THAT stuff traps the fluid underneath. Tegaderm never did that w/ me. I would leave it for a few days that way unless it really bubbles up. With the Duoderm, I peeled a corner back and let the fluid out a few times/day.

Good call using this stuff. AMAZING results.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are oozing re-apply the tegaderm, or wait to use it till you are done oozing. even if you don't, it will sack out and fall off anyway. either way, loose fluid under tegaderm is not the ticket.
Quote Reply
Re: Tegaderm/second skin question [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
if you are oozing re-apply the tegaderm, or wait to use it till you are done oozing. even if you don't, it will sack out and fall off anyway. either way, loose fluid under tegaderm is not the ticket.
But it most definitely is w/ Duoderm.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THanks for all the replies...I will look into the duderm and Tielle, but I don't remember seeing either of those at the drug store here.

I walked down the steps tonight and looked down at my scrapes and saw the big fluid bubbles about to burst out of the bottom of the bandage (gross, I know), so I decided to take it off and keep gauze on for a little longer. Hopefully this stuff works as well as you all say it does though, I hate having open wounds on my body!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can probably find Duoderm as it has been around forever. Tielle is much newer and a little harder to find. You can search for it online.

Quote | Reply
I did this in the fall.

I found the best bet was to clean everything out really well, put a little neosporin on it, then wait about an hour. Pat it all dry at that point (use a gauze pad) and then apply tegaderm.

Repeat the following day, if fluid accumulates. Do this each day until you have a fairly dry day, where there isn't a big accumulation. Leave that set on until healed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBR,

Hey there. Speaking from wound care experience...mine and others, maybe you shouldn't be using tegaderm? If the wounds are oozing and making a mess (I hope by now all the oozing has stopped), why not get an adaptic bandage (this won't stick to the wound), and use some gauze around it for awhile. Also, if the wound isn't oozing, keep using an antibiotic cream, such as neosporin and leave the abrasions open to air as much as possible. I know you are probably in the midst of training, but if you can don't go in the pool until the areas have scabbed up.

Another FYI is if the wound(s) start to smell funky or take too long in your opinion to heal have them looked at by a professional. I figure common sense, but.................

N~
Quote Reply
Re: Tegaderm/second skin question [rnrgrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again everyone... The only reason I was hesitant to change the tegaderm sooner was because that stuff is $15 for 4 sheets!!! I did end up just using gauze and neosporin for the rest of yesterday, and at night it produced a lot of fluid again. I would post pictures if I knew how...not that anyone would really want to look at it though.

The scrapes are not terribly deep, the one on my knee is the worst but no need for stitches or anything. I guess I will just see how the tegaderm goes now, but it is making a fluid bubble again and coming close to the edges again.

I would also just stick with neosporin and bandaids, but I have heard such great things about how much faster road rash heals with this sort of covering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you read the article I posted, you can get them in bulk. I got 100 sheets for $45 including shipping a couple of years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Tegaderm/second skin question [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should probably do that, this is the first time I have needed it but I am only 20. Many more years to do it again I guess!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a CVS pharmacy in your neighborhood? I ask because I found out after I hit a car on the TT bike last month (yes - I hit the car, the car did not hit me), Tegaderm is available in two varieties - the clear type which is what it sounds likeyou have, and what I beleive is a newer version that has a micro-thin sterile pad on the inside of the 'bandage' that absorbs a good deal of the fluid accumulation to allow a longer application. I found this newer version at CVS where it was sold in individual packages in sizes as large as 5x8. Also, buying the larger sizes individually came out to be less expensive than the 4 pack packages.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Tegaderm/second skin question [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I did buy all this at a CVS. And now that you mention it, I remember seeing those individual ones. I thought someone had ripped the box open and taken a few, so I just bought the unopened box of four! I will definitely pick some of those up tomorrow. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you're a college-age person, you may know a nursing student. Try them for stuff... they can get it from "work" when they have class at a hospital. I got some stuff that way.

When the goo under the tegaderm gets close to the edge, I've sort of peeled it back a tiny bit and squeezed it out before, then stuck it back down. It won't stick so well the second time but it helps with comfort and can help you get some extra life out of a patch when you're still draining a lot.

Remember, though, that you WILL have some fluid over the wound as it heals. It doesn't need to ALL come out, but if it's super poofy and working its way toward the edge, it probably needs to go. The goal isn't to have tegaderm on a dry scab for the whole healing process, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I think things are healing up well, but I have a quick question...is it supposed to itch underneath the tegaderm? I would think that it's okay, since it is healing, however I have been training as normal (minus swimming for a few days) and thus sweating underneath the tegaderm.

I think I'm going to change it tomorrow (it's on it's 3rd day) just to be safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer the burn gel pad dressings. I'm blanking on the names.

Or, Polysporin (double antibiotic ointment) and dress with gauze. Not infrequently, the neomycin in the Neosporin (triple antibiotic) causes local allergic reactions, resulting in redness and sometimes blistering and swelling. this can lead to confusion with infection, as well as discomfort.

change the dressing every few days, unless it gets dirty or wet sooner.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: if it's itchin, take it off! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same issues with some road rash. I used neosporin with tegaderm over it, then 4X4 gauze over that and a bandage to hold it all on. This handled the oozing for the first few days so it did not leak through my pants. I bought a ton of tegaderm and changed it almost every day at first. (When you take it off and it smells, you know you needed to change it a wee bit sooner next time.) The purpose of the teggie is to keep the wound wet while it heals. If I let it dry out, it would itch like a #$%% and I could not sleep at night. Within 1 week, I ditched the bandages over the tegaderm, and within 2 wks, I could leave the tegaderm on for a few days. This method worked great, no scars at all. There is also a product that you can put on after the skin is intact that will reduce scarring. It was somewhat of a hassle as they would roll off at night. The bandages were not cheap, but it healed well and never got infected. I think if you have itching, you should remove the tegaderm, clean it and reapply. It'll feel nice and fresh! Good luck!
Quote Reply