Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Rfitz24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I just purchased a 2022 Medium Speedmax CFR and was on the phone today trying to get more details on stem options and availability. They were unable to tell me how much longer the “long” stem would be. Could anyone help clarify?

Rfitz24,
The long stem (85mm) is 20mm longer than the short stem (65mm).

Canyon makes a Short Flat and Short Rise as well as a Long Flat and Long Rise. The "rise" refers to the base bar climbing a bit in elevation from the stem area as it extends out towards the bull horns or brake grip area. They all have different part numbers specific to long, short, flat, rise, SRAM, Shimano.

Typically.... this isn't exactly how we go about the purchase process. These days with "super bikes" their OEM cockpits, internal brake lines, etc. etc. It's so, so, so much easier to know your fit coordinates before you buy (at least your Pad Y and Pad X) and then acquire the bike you want from that. This is true for super road bikes as well - hence the desire to know one's Web Y and Web X before purchase.

I could go on but it would be best if you could tell me your Pad Y and Pad X if you know it and if you don't tell me anything and everything you can about your body (overall height, inseam, any highly unusual oddities), your current tri bike coordinates, or bikes in the past and let me prescribe not only what size CFR would be right (if it is a medium) and what front end would be right on that.

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I got my measurements today. I decided to remeasure my body with help this time (shoutout wife) and I am 74" tall with an inseam just a hair under 35", which I had previously told you 33.5". Measured barefoot, legs straight using the book in the crotch method.

I've attached my retul measurements, hopefully it works. Again, this is for a CF 7
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Rfitz24 [ In reply to ]
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Rfitz24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think many of them are using an adapter that’s made by Radsport Ibert.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [SpencerR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I got my measurements today. I decided to remeasure my body with help this time (shoutout wife) and I am 74" tall with an inseam just a hair under 35", which I had previously told you 33.5". Measured barefoot, legs straight using the book in the crotch method.

I've attached my retul measurements, hopefully it works. Again, this is for a CF 7

SpencerR,
I really appreciate your staying open minded and working through this with me. You and I want the same thing - for you to have the right bike. I've looked at your fit sheet. I see a seat height of 810, a Pad Y of 711 and a Pad X of 421. I find this to be a bit suspect and here's why... Take a look at this article https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ld_Example_6852.html and plot your dot (711/421) on the graph. There's only one person who is more of an outlier than you. I have to wonder why and that leads me to some questions...

1) What saddle was under you for the fit and where were you sitting on it. Scroll thru the pics of the women at kona and the men at kona and take note of how they are all riding the front half of the saddle. Were you riding like that during the fit?
2) How long were the cranks used during your fit?
3) You said this was a Retul fit... was it done on a Muve dynamic fit bike?
4) How long was your ride in the final position, at what effort was that final position ride, and were you offered a chance to elongate your cockpit during that final position effort?

If you're answer to all this... "WTF does Ian know? He's only seen text, my fitter has seen ME!". I respect that answer, agree with in to some extent, and if you're good to go then here's your bike....

Canyon Speedmax CF size Medium with the 80mm stem that comes stock, pads back almost 100% and with 55mm of Profile-Design aerobar pedestal (those spacers and long bolts will be in the box). Here's what makes me super comfortable and confident prescribing this bike...
1) Your seat height can go up and down a ton and you'll still be perfect on this bike
2) Your pads can move forward 75mm, a direction I expect your fit to go, and that is the bike fit equivalent to the length of Nebraska
3) Your pads can move down 80mm, a direction I expect your fit to go, and that's a drop like the Mariana Trench.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

I really appreciate your staying open minded and working through this with me. You and I want the same thing - for you to have the right bike. I've looked at your fit sheet. I see a seat height of 810, a Pad Y of 711 and a Pad X of 421. I find this to be a bit suspect and here's why... Take a look at this article https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ld_Example_6852.html and plot your dot (711/421) on the graph. There's only one person who is more of an outlier than you. I have to wonder why and that leads me to some questions...

1) What saddle was under you for the fit and where were you sitting on it. Scroll thru the pics of the women at kona and the men at kona and take note of how they are all riding the front half of the saddle. Were you riding like that during the fit?
4) How long was your ride in the final position, at what effort was that final position ride, and were you offered a chance to elongate your cockpit during that final position effort?

If you're answer to all this... "WTF does Ian know? He's only seen text, my fitter has seen ME!". I respect that answer, agree with in to some extent, and if you're good to go then here's your bike....

Canyon Speedmax CF size Medium with the 80mm stem that comes stock, pads back almost 100% and with 55mm of Profile-Design aerobar pedestal (those spacers and long bolts will be in the box). Here's what makes me super comfortable and confident prescribing this bike...
1) Your seat height can go up and down a ton and you'll still be perfect on this bike
2) Your pads can move forward 75mm, a direction I expect your fit to go, and that is the bike fit equivalent to the length of Nebraska
3) Your pads can move down 80mm, a direction I expect your fit to go, and that's a drop like the Mariana Trench.

Ian

You're awesome for taking the amount of time to craft these responses. I dont know which saddle for certain, but have asked my fitter. In the meantime:

1) I can say with 99% certainty that I was back on the saddle as one would be on a road bike, and definitely not riding the nose like the kona photos.
2) I can also say with 99% certainty (and my fitter can correct me on this) that we set the crank length to that of the CF, which is 170, because he was fitting me knowing which bike I was in the market for.
3) It was no a Muve Dynamic. It was a fit bike from Exit, from my Google search It looked very much like the Exit MKii
4) I didn't really maintain the position longer than 2 minutes on the fit bike and certainly not under any remarkable effort, if any effort at all. Just kind of assumed the position with 50 watt pedal strokes briefly until told to stop by the fitter.

The only other anecdotal data I have is that an XL Canyon Endurace AL 7.0 was way too big for me and needed a 70mm stem to be tolerable. I currently have a Large Giant Propel that feels like it is just a hair too long but I'm still dialing in fit on it.

Tried to embed the links, failed.

Endurace: https://www.canyon.com/...l-disc-7.0/2394.html

Giant: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...advanced-disc-1-2021
Last edited by: SpencerR: Dec 1, 22 18:11
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [SpencerR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ian

You're awesome for taking the amount of time to craft these responses. I dont know which saddle for certain, but have asked my fitter. In the meantime:

1) I can say with 99% certainty that I was back on the saddle as one would be on a road bike, and definitely not riding the nose like the kona photos.
2) I can also say with 99% certainty (and my fitter can correct me on this) that we set the crank length to that of the CF, which is 170, because he was fitting me knowing which bike I was in the market for.
3) It was no a Muve Dynamic. It was a fit bike from Exit, from my Google search It looked very much like the Exit MKii
4) I didn't really maintain the position longer than 2 minutes on the fit bike and certainly not under any remarkable effort, if any effort at all. Just kind of assumed the position with 50 watt pedal strokes briefly until told to stop by the fitter.

The only other anecdotal data I have is that an XL Canyon Endurace AL 7.0 was way too big for me and needed a 70mm stem to be tolerable. I currently have a Large Giant Propel that feels like it is just a hair too long but I'm still dialing in fit on it.

Tried to embed the links, failed.

Endurace: https://www.canyon.com/...l-disc-7.0/2394.html

Giant: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...advanced-disc-1-2021

SpencerR,
The Exit MkII is a great fit bike, it's the one I use - It gives me confidence to hear that the proper tooling was utilized. There's a lot of logic behind using a crank (170mm) that will come on the bike. Bicycle manufacturers (and component manufacturers for that matter) are a bit behind the curve in learning about the value of short cranks. Innovators like John Cobb (Speed and Comfort) are quicker at following science, trends and can produce short cranks far faster than the big boys (Shiman, SRAM, Campy) and bike companies have to catch up spec'ing their builds with the stuff we need. I'm confident you'd be better off with a crank shorter than a 170 but who wants to buy a brand new bike, pull the cranks that came on it and buy shorter cranks for Speedandcomfort.com or Rotor and install. It's a bummer but for those chasing perfection it's a must. The cranks are one part of this story... the saddle and where you perch is another.

There are triathlon specific saddles: ISM Adamo, again Jcobb at SpeedAndComfort, and others that make saddles specifically for triathlon. And then you have to find the model that's comfy for you - and there's no other way to do it than to get in your position and have the saddle put under you. The Canyon Speedmax you order will very likely come with a Selle Italia Watt Superflow - you might perch out on that and love it. If you don't start trying other saddles.

Shorter cranks would be nice. The proper saddle is MANDATORY. Now, here's where it'll effect your fit. When you move to the nose of the saddle you're going to be more powerful.. To make that position work you're gonna want your front end (read: aerobars) to move forward for sure and probably down a bit. So, back to the prescription: it's still a Speedmax size Medium with the stock 80mm stem....but now the arm cups might be in the middle hole (you can adjust this yourself in 90seconds: velcro pads peel off, 4mm hex bolts come out and move to a new hole). And, maybe the aerobar pedestal might be 45 or 50mm instead of 55 (you can solve this yourself in ~3min: 5mm bolts come out, different size spacers go in with appropriate bolts to match - it's all in the box).

You should order the Medium with confidence. When it arrives put it in the position the fitter created and start riding. You'll likely make some tweaks after each of the first few rides: cockpit forward, cockpit down, aero extensions tilted up and grips turned in a hair, saddle nose down 1 degree, etc...... and long term changes: 160mm cranks, sexy wheels, some BTA (between the aerobars) hydration system, etc.

My mom came from super humble beginnings and she's done well. In her life she's owned 4 homes. She once told me "your never finished improving you house 'til the day you sell it". I feel that way about bicycles.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
ianpeace wrote:

SpencerR,
The Exit MkII is a great fit bike, it's the one I use - It gives me confidence to hear that the proper tooling was utilized. There's a lot of logic behind using a crank (170mm) that will come on the bike. Bicycle manufacturers (and component manufacturers for that matter) are a bit behind the curve in learning about the value of short cranks. Innovators like John Cobb (Speed and Comfort) are quicker at following science, trends and can produce short cranks far faster than the big boys (Shiman, SRAM, Campy) and bike companies have to catch up spec'ing their builds with the stuff we need. I'm confident you'd be better off with a crank shorter than a 170 but who wants to buy a brand new bike, pull the cranks that came on it and buy shorter cranks for Speedandcomfort.com or Rotor and install. It's a bummer but for those chasing perfection it's a must. The cranks are one part of this story... the saddle and where you perch is another.

There are triathlon specific saddles: ISM Adamo, again Jcobb at SpeedAndComfort, and others that make saddles specifically for triathlon. And then you have to find the model that's comfy for you - and there's no other way to do it than to get in your position and have the saddle put under you. The Canyon Speedmax you order will very likely come with a Selle Italia Watt Superflow - you might perch out on that and love it. If you don't start trying other saddles.

Shorter cranks would be nice. The proper saddle is MANDATORY. Now, here's where it'll effect your fit. When you move to the nose of the saddle you're going to be more powerful.. To make that position work you're gonna want your front end (read: aerobars) to move forward for sure and probably down a bit. So, back to the prescription: it's still a Speedmax size Medium with the stock 80mm stem....but now the arm cups might be in the middle hole (you can adjust this yourself in 90seconds: velcro pads peel off, 4mm hex bolts come out and move to a new hole). And, maybe the aerobar pedestal might be 45 or 50mm instead of 55 (you can solve this yourself in ~3min: 5mm bolts come out, different size spacers go in with appropriate bolts to match - it's all in the box).

You should order the Medium with confidence. When it arrives put it in the position the fitter created and start riding. You'll likely make some tweaks after each of the first few rides: cockpit forward, cockpit down, aero extensions tilted up and grips turned in a hair, saddle nose down 1 degree, etc...... and long term changes: 160mm cranks, sexy wheels, some BTA (between the aerobars) hydration system, etc.

My mom came from super humble beginnings and she's done well. In her life she's owned 4 homes. She once told me "your never finished improving you house 'til the day you sell it". I feel that way about bicycles.

Ian

Ian,

Thank you again for taking so much time to craft your responses. We all appreciate you.

I certainly have some work ahead of me (first of which is trying to secure a medium when they come back in stock in the USA). My gut feeling was a medium just from my experience with road bikes. I've always somehow found myself on road bikes that are too big. My background is mountain biking, and every mountain bike brand I have ever tried - - its an XL every time for me. I must just have a drastically different position on road bikes, hard to say.

I will certainly be in the market for shorter cranks eventually, but like you said it is hard to drop $6k on a bike and immediately start sinking more cash into it. I have 70.3 oceanside and 70.3 morro bay for 2023. I will ride the bike as is (component wise) for those, and then maybe start tweaking components over the summer.

I will check back in after I (hopefully) secure the medium when I get the email notification of it being back in stock.

Thanks again for your time!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

would you advise for me if my set up is right...

my specs are:
Canyon Speedmax CF disc etap 8.0

Hight: 182cm
Inseam: 87cm
Saddle hight: 770mm
PadY (stack): 705mm
PadX (reach): 490mm

I consider to reduce 1-2cm down of my cocpit.

thanks in advance for your reply.

PS. apology for that form of communication. Thanks for understanding

regards
Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ajezier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my speedmax bike fit today done by a proper fitter after having it 2 years and wondering why I was still uncomfortable.
I left with mixed emotion
- contrary to being recommend an S by canyon (and challenging it at the time) the front end does not fit me. It’s not long enough, and is not wide enough for an ideal fit.

The question I have is

- does anyone know anyone apart from rad sport (quite expensive) who make spacers which can create another 20mm on the reach
- has anyone seen any arm pads (non canyon) that are wider than the stock arm pads?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keepdrilling,

Just to make sure... you have the long stem (stem, base bar) on your bike currently and not the short stem that comes stock on Speedmax bikes in the USA?

As to pad width... a solution that might work would be to go to a local machine shop with the bike and have them create a plate that can be screwed to the existing arm pad mount and extend out 5 or 10mm to give you 10 to 20mm greater width in the pads.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think revolver makes a flat mount that shifts the pads forward
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the standard base bar and stem that came with the first version of the bike sold in Europe.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have the standard base bar and stem that came with the first version of the bike sold in Europe.
keepdrilling,
Okay, it's likely that there's 20mm of longer cockpit waiting for you in the long base bar. I suspect that "stem" on your bike is 65mm and the long won is 85. The question now becomes... how do we figure out what bar is on your bike currently. If this were a "mortal" stem we'd simply measure from the center of the steer tube to the center of the bar clamp but with these OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), proprietary from ends it's tough to know the points to measure between.

Let me ask my engineer contact at HQ and see if he has an answer for me.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

SpencerR,

Ian

Hey Ian, a follow up from my bike fitter, Philip Casanta out of Ventura at HyperCat:

"I know Ian very well and he knows me very well. Tell him you worked with me and that we used the Exit bike (we use the same bike) and only used retul for the measurements.

We used a an ISM PN 2.1 saddle.

My concern with the medium (which i said would fit) was that you would have a lot of pedastal under the aerobars, but if the numbers keep it under 50mm stack that is exceptable, but i do prefer the reach of the medium over the large. I still tend to skew toward the large and adjust the saddle choice and most likely run you in a more forward position that matches the longer reach.

Crank length is listed on the retul form.

Phil"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, thanks again for your time - just while I’m looking your looking into Hq.

I am wondering if the Tririg open scoops might provide additional width as opposed to the plates. I note the measurements in width are 3.9 inches approx whereas the canyon armrest pads are approx 3inches. I haven’t seen the tririg ones in the flesh and the .9inches could be taken up by curves in the arm rest. Have you seen these scoops personally and you think it might provide for some additional width without plates?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keepdrilling wrote:
Hi Ian, thanks again for your time - just while I’m looking your looking into Hq.

I am wondering if the Tririg open scoops might provide additional width as opposed to the plates. I note the measurements in width are 3.9 inches approx whereas the canyon armrest pads are approx 3inches. I haven’t seen the tririg ones in the flesh and the .9inches could be taken up by curves in the arm rest. Have you seen these scoops personally and you think it might provide for some additional width without plates?

I have the tririg closed back scoops and the pads that come stock on a speedmax. If you want any specific photos of them lined up side by side let me know and I'll get some for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian, a follow up from my bike fitter, Philip Casanta out of Ventura at HyperCat:

"I know Ian very well and he knows me very well. Tell him you worked with me and that we used the Exit bike (we use the same bike) and only used retul for the measurements.

We used a an ISM PN 2.1 saddle.

My concern with the medium (which i said would fit) was that you would have a lot of pedastal under the aerobars, but if the numbers keep it under 50mm stack that is exceptable, but i do prefer the reach of the medium over the large. I still tend to skew toward the large and adjust the saddle choice and most likely run you in a more forward position that matches the longer reach.

Crank length is listed on the retul form.

Phil"

SpencerR,
You are so fortunate to have someone like Phil as your fitter. That guy is super high quality. I now have nothing but confidence in your fit and the numbers at which you and Phil arrived.

So we left it at CF size M with 80mm stock stem and 55mm of pedestal.
If you went size Large.. .you'd have only 20mm of pedestal but a 70mm stem would get Pad X back to ~427 that might still be too long.

I still say the Medium is the best bet.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much that would be great. I’m trying to see if can gain a bit more width on my arm
Position so if you have a photo of them head on or even if you could advise if the elbow space is greater in terms of width by a few cms on the tririg that would be great? I believe the tririg open are larger than the tririg open sl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exceptable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

SpencerR,
You are so fortunate to have someone like Phil as your fitter. That guy is super high quality. I now have nothing but confidence in your fit and the numbers at which you and Phil arrived.

So we left it at CF size M with 80mm stock stem and 55mm of pedestal.
If you went size Large.. .you'd have only 20mm of pedestal but a 70mm stem would get Pad X back to ~427 that might still be too long.

I still say the Medium is the best bet.

Ian

Thanks for the great feedback. I will order the medium when it comes back in stock. Appreciate all your time, Ian!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
exceptable?

Yeah I think it's this thing called a "typo". /s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I see someone that can't spell, I question their authority.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds more like you’ve nothing better to be doing in your life other than spending time correcting people’s spelling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Whenever I see someone that can't spell, I question their authority.

Well, this is a thread about bike fitting, and the OP of the thread (Ian) vouched for the guy despite his typo, so I would say his authority is solid. It is an e-mail and an online forum, not a NEJM publication. So let's relax and get back to the regularly scheduled programming.
Quote Reply

Prev Next