Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks Ian!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ThiagoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two questions on the Speedmax:

1. Did I hear a rumor that a new model will be out in 2023 ?

2. I want a top-end Speedmax with electronic shifting, either Rival or Ultegra and Zipp 808s and a Super-9 disc. What would be the "lowest" config I could go for, assuming I cannot just buy the frame, is that right?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,
I'm looking to get 2022 Speedmax CFR
What Size would make sense for me?? Would XL work (In Stock in US) or would a L be right?
Height=188cm
Inseam=86cm
Seat Height=781mm
PadY=673mm
PadX=475mm

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

As with most bikes I am almost always in between sizes. It's infuriating! Right now I'm on a Medium Trek Speed Concept Disc but I am looking at a Canyon CFR Disc Di2. My current dimensions are below. This is from a current fit and a somewhat conservative setup for Ironman. Pad Y is probably a bit high but I chose comfort over aero and although I could likely go a bit lower in the front I didn't bother.

Height 178 cm
Seat Height 730mm
Pad X = 480 mm
Pad Y = 625 mm

The folks at Canyon are telling me I'm a small, that makes sense based on just looking a the dimensions of the bike but I'm still a bit concerned. I don't want a bike with a bunch of spacers to bring up the pads, not a lot of them anyway. I'd also be concerned that on the medium I'd have very little seatpost showing and the bike would just feel big to me, very little standover, minimal seatpost etc. IAny thoughts?

sorelegs,
Well, if nothing else take comfort in the fact that (based on the Pad Y/X given) you are NOT between sizes here. I need to check on a couple of things before I prescribe.... This this Pad X (480mm) is that measured to the middle of the pad? Also, your morphology...would you say your 1780 is built of long legs and a short torso or longish torso and shorter legs, or just a typical, well balanced leg to body ratio?

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [AEIOUsometimesY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted,

There's been a lot of tweaking going on in our back and forth so I just want to confirm with you that your seat height was 715 and is now 736. Your Pad Y was 610 but you like to ride a bit lower. You Pad X was 483 to center of pad, I converted to 443 but you want to ride a bit longer so I pushed it out to 453.

Seat Height - 736mm
Pad Y - 600mm
Pad X - 453mm

Canyon Speedmax SLX (CFR as well)..
Size Medium, short stem, very little spacer. You can also ride a Small, long stem, low spacer.

I think you're writing from the USA and this factors into your decision...the bikes come stock with the short stem and if you want/need to go to a long stem you have to purchase that separately and I don't know the details on cost or availability. The spacer you don't have to worry about because they ship the bike with lots of front end pieces so that you can fine tune the fit.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Two questions on the Speedmax:

1. Did I hear a rumor that a new model will be out in 2023 ?

2. I want a top-end Speedmax with electronic shifting, either Rival or Ultegra and Zipp 808s and a Super-9 disc. What would be the "lowest" config I could go for, assuming I cannot just buy the frame, is that right?

Mulen,
1) I have not heard the rumor of a new Speedmax model for 2023.
2) I don't consider Rival or Ultegra top-end, I leave that term to Dura Ace and Red - but I'm not a snob either, all my bikes are Ultegra level Di2 so I fully support your decision to ride those group sets and consider them excellent. If you want the top end Speedmax it's the CFR model. If you want the incredibly-close to top end bike it's the SLX. If someone you know is interested in the lower end Speedmax it's the CF. Many of the Speedmax bikes are sold with DT Swiss wheels but some come with a Zipp wheel - there's a CFR up on the site right now a Zipp 858 NSW (which I always read as NSFW but that's just weird thing I'm workin' through). I've never seen a Speedmax sold with disc nor a frame set.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [smagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,
What Size would make sense for me?? Would XL work (In Stock in US) or would a L be right?
Height=188cm
Inseam=86cm
Seat Height=781mm
PadY=673mm
PadX=475mm

smagoon,
Based on these numbers the Large is the right size for you and it really looks good (and easy) for you: short stem, mid spacer (which is how the bike will come out of the box in the US). For sure!!

Just as a side note here... I'm guessing, but I'm guessing from LONG experience with these things... The proper saddle and where you sit on that saddle is critical to make a tri fit work. AND... short cranks are a real and legitimate benefit. So for you to ride the front half of a John Cobb Speed & Comfort saddle Delta 38 or 55 or an ISM Adamo saddle AND have... 165mm cranks would very likely have you able to ride a comfortable, power position at a seat height of 786, Pad Y of 655ish, Pad X of 480... and that position is also available on the Large with a short stem. Just in case you make some moves from your current coordinates into something lower and longer.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot mate. I meant a top-end spec bike/frameset with a mid-spec group set (as Rival or Ultegra)
I had hoped I could just get the frameset really and build myself as always 🤷
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hey Ian,
Height=188cm
Inseam=86cm
Seat Height=781mm
PadY=673mm
PadX=475mm

smagoon,
Based on these numbers the Large is the right size for you and it really looks good (and easy) for you: short stem, mid spacer (which is how the bike will come out of the box in the US). For sure!!

Just as a side note here... I'm guessing, but I'm guessing from LONG experience with these things... The proper saddle and where you sit on that saddle is critical to make a tri fit work. AND... short cranks are a real and legitimate benefit. So for you to ride the front half of a John Cobb Speed & Comfort saddle Delta 38 or 55 or an ISM Adamo saddle AND have... 165mm cranks would very likely have you able to ride a comfortable, power position at a seat height of 786, Pad Y of 655ish, Pad X of 480... and that position is also available on the Large with a short stem. Just in case you make some moves from your current coordinates into something lower and longer.

Ian

Ian,
Thanks for the info.
So it sounds like the XL would be to big for me based on my measurements...correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [smagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hey Ian,
Height=188cm
Inseam=86cm
Seat Height=781mm
PadY=673mm
PadX=475mm

smagoon,

Ian
Ian,
Thanks for the info.
So it sounds like the XL would be to big for me based on my measurements...correct?

smagoon,
The XL will not make your current* seat height.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok great thanks!

That’s measured to the back of the pad but I actually screwed it up! The actual measurement is 460mm. I ride with my elbows on the pads mostly and have a grip length of 310mm. Canyon asked me to provide that measurement to help decide which extension length I needed.

I think I’m evenly balanced but I don’t know for sure. I wear jeans with a 32” inseam if that helps.
Last edited by: sorelegs: Nov 22, 22 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
You helped me out on here a while back with fitting my Canyon, just before a race and the advice really helped me. I should have come back to say thanks straight away but looking through the old posts it seems I didnt do that.... So thanks for your help with everything on this forum, its really appreciated. If I see you at a race at some time then I certainly need to buy you a beer. However Im back with another question, this time about saddle fitting as I've been having problems with that. Is it something you can help advise on or should I use a different forum?
Thanks again,
JS86
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [JS86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
You helped me out on here a while back with fitting my Canyon, just before a race and the advice really helped me. I should have come back to say thanks straight away but looking through the old posts it seems I didnt do that.... So thanks for your help with everything on this forum, its really appreciated. If I see you at a race at some time then I certainly need to buy you a beer. However Im back with another question, this time about saddle fitting as I've been having problems with that. Is it something you can help advise on or should I use a different forum?
Thanks again,

JS86,
This is really kind of you. I am a bike fitter, but moreover I've been helping athletes as a coach for over twenty years. I just want to see athletes progress towards mastery. So your note means a great deal to me - thank you!

I'm absolutely game to disucss saddles so bring it on. I'm sure others on the Forum and this thread can benefit from any back-n-forth we might have.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thank you for this thread. I got a RETUL fitting done and I am still waiting for the fitter to send me the PDF of my measurements. Until then, I was curious about something. I am not sure if you can say for sure off limited info, but: the fitter said that he thinks I should get a Large of the CF 7 Etap but to use a 70mm stem. . I am wondering if cutting 20mm off the stem means I could also just fit into a M. I am worried about getting a bike that is too big because it's harder to make a big bike smaller but more forgiving to make a smaller bike bigger.

I am 6'2" 195lbs, with a 33.5" inseam.

I will try to get you the RETUL measurements asap.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey... were you able to look further into this?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

As with most bikes I am almost always in between sizes. It's infuriating! Right now I'm on a Medium Trek Speed Concept Disc but I am looking at a Canyon CFR Disc Di2. My current dimensions are below. This is from a current fit and a somewhat conservative setup for Ironman. Pad Y is probably a bit high but I chose comfort over aero and although I could likely go a bit lower in the front I didn't bother.

Height 178 cm
Seat Height 730mm
Pad X = 480 mm
Pad Y = 625 mm

The folks at Canyon are telling me I'm a small, that makes sense based on just looking a the dimensions of the bike but I'm still a bit concerned. I don't want a bike with a bunch of spacers to bring up the pads, not a lot of them anyway. I'd also be concerned that on the medium I'd have very little seatpost showing and the bike would just feel big to me, very little standover, minimal seatpost etc. IAny thoughts?
sorelegs,
Well, if nothing else take comfort in the fact that (based on the Pad Y/X given) you are NOT between sizes here. I need to check on a couple of things before I prescribe.... This this Pad X (480mm) is that measured to the middle of the pad? Also, your morphology...would you say your 1780 is built of long legs and a short torso or longish torso and shorter legs, or just a typical, well balanced leg to body ratio?

Ian

Ok great thanks!

That’s measured to the back of the pad but I actually screwed it up! The actual measurement is 460mm. I ride with my elbows on the pads mostly and have a grip length of 310mm. Canyon asked me to provide that measurement to help decide which extension length I needed.

I think I’m evenly balanced but I don’t know for sure. I wear jeans with a 32” inseam if that helps.

Ahhh Sorelegs, thanks for the bump reminder...
Okay, just reiterate.. SH is 730mm, Pad Y is 625mm, Pad X is 460mm, you're 5'10" with 32" inseam... not too many spacers between bar and head tube, and you might like to go a bit lower in the front end perhaps in the future.

You have two choices with the CFR (and SLX)...
Size small with the long stem, mid spacer, and medium extension.
--or--
Size medium with short stem, slow spacer, and medium extension.

Now you have decide so I'm gonna throw in a few more tidbits to gnaw on...
  • this bike (in the US) will come with a short stem, a long stem (for the small) would need to be order that. I don't know cost or availability.
  • this bike will come with a box of bits so that you can change now and in the future spacer height, tilt, etc and all the bolts needed for those changes.
  • Canyon makes a behind the seat-post cage holder that bolts into bosses on the post. If get the medium one of the bosses will be down in the frame so if you wanted behind-the-saddle hydration you'd need to do some other, saddle-rail mounted system like we've all been runnin' for years. If you get the small you those bolts will be exposed and available.

Finally, I'll end with my advice....
I would lean towards the medium because of two reasons: 1) you prefer fewer spacers under your front end, the medium will have that and 2) if you get the small you'll have to pony up for a new cockpit (stem) and that's $$ (I'm assuming you're in the USA). I would get the small if there are no mediums available but I'd be sure to order the long cockpit at the same time so that you can have this built up and ready to ride in your coordinates ASAP.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hey Ian,
Height=188cm
Inseam=86cm
Seat Height=781mm
PadY=673mm
PadX=475mm

smagoon,

Ian
Ian,
Thanks for the info.

smagoon,

Couple update questions: I played around a bit with my seat height as in the past I thought might be slightly low and it is raised slightly to 795mm.
I also was thinking about your comment about the 165mm cranks..if I were to put those on the CFR and with the slightly higher seat height, would a CFR XL work nicely??
Post #1646 is similar to myself other than the longer reach. Note: Seems like stack and reach would fall in ok on XL.
Just curious your thoughts.
Thanks so much for all your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [SpencerR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Thank you for this thread. I got a RETUL fitting done and I am still waiting for the fitter to send me the PDF of my measurements. Until then, I was curious about something. I am not sure if you can say for sure off limited info, but: the fitter said that he thinks I should get a Large of the CF 7 Etap but to use a 70mm stem. . I am wondering if cutting 20mm off the stem means I could also just fit into a M. I am worried about getting a bike that is too big because it's harder to make a big bike smaller but more forgiving to make a smaller bike bigger.

I am 6'2" 195lbs, with a 33.5" inseam.

I will try to get you the RETUL measurements asap.

Thank you!

SpencerR,
Here's my concern.... you seem normal. You're 6'2" and have a 33.5" inseam. You didn't mention any horrendous accident or extreme oddity that you'd would require you to have such a short Pad X in relation to your height. If you said... "I'm 6'2" and have a 36" inseam" well then, let's discuss a size Large with a shorter stem, maybe an 80mm, or even a 70mm if we have to. If you had said "I'm 6'2" with a 33.5" inseam but fell from a jumped out of a helicopter while filming a Warren Miller movie and I have 7 fused vertebrae." Okay, let's talk Large with an unusually short stem.

If you just came to me here on this thread and said - 6'2", 33.5" - whadayagot. I would have said your Pad Y should be 665-675 and your Pad X should be 480-595. Well, those coordinates fit on BOTH a large and a medium (it's common that a person will fit on two, even three size bikes).

Let's do this, when you get your fit sheet back drop in here and give me any and all numbers you can because I have my suspicions about how/why a result can be a Pad Y that requires a large size but a Pad X that needs a smaller size.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Let me first say thank you for administering and supporting this thread. Looking forward to hearing your feedback. I am looking at a CF 8 (once they are back in stock). Below are my measurements.

Height: 175 cm
Inseam: 78 cm
Saddle height: 706 mm
Pad Y: 640 (although I plan to get another fit for a more aggressive position)
Pad X: 461

Thanks in advance Ian!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up that there are a couple of size L (blue color) CFRs in stock (at least right now on their US website) if that is the size that Ian thinks would work best for you
Last edited by: ols: Dec 1, 22 4:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much Ian, really appreciate it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hey Ian,
Height=188cm
Inseam=86cm
Seat Height=781mm
PadY=673mm
PadX=475mm

smagoon,

Ian
Ian,
Thanks for the info.

smagoon,
Couple update questions: I played around a bit with my seat height as in the past I thought might be slightly low and it is raised slightly to 795mm.
I also was thinking about your comment about the 165mm cranks..if I were to put those on the CFR and with the slightly higher seat height, would a CFR XL work nicely??
Post #1646 is similar to myself other than the longer reach. Note: Seems like stack and reach would fall in ok on XL.
Just curious your thoughts.
Thanks so much for all your help.

smagoon,
Well, let's say for a second that your current seat height is 795mm... and it's 795 with ???? 172.5mm cranks. If you went to 165mm cranks then your seat height would be 802ish. Then if I prescribe a CFR with SH of 802, Pad Y of 673, Pad X of 475... Then, yes the XL would work.... short stem, the low spacer under the aerobars (+ a little wedge if you like some tilt). Now, here's a thing to note. The seat height will make it - based on these numbers but one of the bosses on the back of the seat post will be down in the frame so you won't be able to use the Canyon, OEM, behind-the-post bottle cage which is not a big deal since we've all gone decades with multiple saddle-rail mounted systems, and that's if you wanted stuff back there at all since you've got the frame bladder-straw-at-the-ready system.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

SpencerR,
Here's my concern.... you seem normal. You're 6'2" and have a 33.5" inseam. You didn't mention any horrendous accident or extreme oddity that you'd would require you to have such a short Pad X in relation to your height. If you said... "I'm 6'2" and have a 36" inseam" well then, let's discuss a size Large with a shorter stem, maybe an 80mm, or even a 70mm if we have to. If you had said "I'm 6'2" with a 33.5" inseam but fell from a jumped out of a helicopter while filming a Warren Miller movie and I have 7 fused vertebrae." Okay, let's talk Large with an unusually short stem.

If you just came to me here on this thread and said - 6'2", 33.5" - whadayagot. I would have said your Pad Y should be 665-675 and your Pad X should be 480-595. Well, those coordinates fit on BOTH a large and a medium (it's common that a person will fit on two, even three size bikes).

Let's do this, when you get your fit sheet back drop in here and give me any and all numbers you can because I have my suspicions about how/why a result can be a Pad Y that requires a large size but a Pad X that needs a smaller size.

Ian

Awesome response, thank you so much! My fitter is being flaky and is extremely late on emailing me. Will follow up with him again today because I'd love to see what you get from my measurements
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [KSwygert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

Let me first say thank you for administering and supporting this thread. Looking forward to hearing your feedback. I am looking at a CF 8 (once they are back in stock). Below are my measurements.
Height: 175 cm
Inseam: 78 cm
Saddle height: 706 mm
Pad Y: 640 (although I plan to get another fit for a more aggressive position)
Pad X: 461
Thanks in advance

KSwygert,
Based on where you are now (SH 706, Pad Y 641, Pad X 461) the right Canyon Speedmax CF is a size Small with the 70m stem that comes stock on that bike ~35mm of "lift" (that's nice because there's a 25mm spacer under the stem that puts the top of the stem flush with the top of the toptube storage box - then you can do another 10 or so mm in aerobar pedestal and you're there). And you're gonna push the pads out to one hole shy of the max.

That speaks to where you are now... Let's say you want to change your position in the future to something not only a bit lower but a bit longer too.... you can start by pulling some pedestal out front under the aerobars (this is a Profile-Design bar, the bike comes with lots of spacers and bolt lengths so you can tweak to perfection - super easy to do at home). And you can either.. push the pads out another mounting hole, or, if you want to go longer still just get an 80mm stem from Canyon and you'll have another 10mm to play with) PS. I think I have an 80 and 90mm stems here if availability is an issue.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a 2022 Medium Speedmax CFR and was on the phone today trying to get more details on stem options and availability. They were unable to tell me how much longer the “long” stem would be. Could anyone help clarify?

Additionally they said they have no spare parts available. Has anyone has any luck in the USA sourcing the long stem from Canyon?
Quote Reply

Prev Next