Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mtomchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtomchan wrote:
Hi Ian,

I am interested in a Speedmax CF SLX and I appear to be between a medium/large and would like to know if I could get away with the medium? I am currently riding a medium speed concept.

Height: 185 cm
Arm pad reach BB: 442
Arm pad stack BB: 639
Saddle height: 790
Saddle Setback: -5
Crank length: 170

Thank you

Curious why you'd want to go M over L if you are between both. I'm in a similar boat and trying to figure out the pro/con of selecting one over the other if you fit on both.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian ,

I am looking for a speedmax SLX.
I actually ride a 2014 BMC TM02 size SM.
My position on the bike ( bike fit 7 years ago) is not bad but probably need to be refresh.

Height : 181
Seat : 76,5
pad X : 410
pad Y : 650

The canyon website tells me size M.
I recently realized a new bike fitting for my road bike using the shimano bikefiting and they also give me the theorical position on a tri bike. ( picture attached)
Big thanks in advance for your advice :)

toniog,
We've got 3 elements from which to work..
1) 650/410 from your fit a while back
2) 635/465 from my mathematical presumption
3) and some numbers from a road fit that tried to guess a tri position. There's no Pad Y/X in there, in fact I can only see a Stack number and no Reach - but that's a frame measurement anyway so... also, I see that that prescription recomends 172.5 cranks so I'm not sure it'd trust a Pad Y/X from that anyway.

So, yes, a Medium is the call and, here's the great news, the medium will work with either numbers. If you're Pad Y is 650 or 635 - no problem, both those work and below and above them for some movement if you need it. Also, the Pad X differential of 410 to 465 is sizeable and those can both happen on the meidum: 405 is the shortest, and 485 the longest so you're probably somewhere nicely in between.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Good news i ve just ordered the SLX Medium !

But there are personalisation option :
between "short stem" 65 mm and long stem 85 mm
aerobars : short ( 305 - 365 ) medium (325 - 405 ) long ( 360-440 )

The pad X 410 et pad Y 650 was measured by me following your video on my old TT bike.
My forearm measurement is 400mm

Thanks again for tou help !!
Last edited by: toniog: Oct 26, 22 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
I am looking at getting a Speedmax CF 8 Disc.

My fit measurements are as follows:

Saddle height (BB to top of saddle): 76.5cm (on an ISM PL 1.1)
Setback: 5.7cm
Saddle to Pad height difference: 8.5cm
Tip of saddle to centre of pad: 50.5cm
Centre of pad to end of aero extension: 30cm

Those are the measurements I got from my bike fit. The Stack was a starting point and I would likely look to come down from there.

E1ghtball,
These are all good and help me get an idea of how you comport yourself on the bike. I really want Pad Y and Pad X (and maybe that's on your fit sheet - could be labled as Pad Stack and Pad Reach). If not, then I want to know your height and inseam length and I can combie those with the numbers above to give you a confident answer on not only the size of Speedmax CF but also the front end configuration that you'll need.

Wait, hold on, I forgot.... EVEN BETTER would be this: measure your bike like this and let me know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

Ian

My inseam is 85.5 and I am 180cm tall. I dont have the pad x/y measurements on my bikefit sheet. I'm also having a look at some second hand rim brake speedmax's. Would the size on them be drastically different?

Doug
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear Ian
Awesome thread. Super useful!

Hope it's my turn this winter to switch to a disc brakes Canyon CF SLX.

From my last Retul bike fit - that is giving me a good confort/aero combination in mantis position - I have:
Saddle height: 749mm
Arm pad stack from BB (pad Y): 651mm
Arm pad reach from BB (pad X): 425mm
Arm pad drop (from saddle middle point): -84mm
Saddle (ISM PN 3.1) setback: -16mm
Arm pad width: 160mm
Cranks: 165mm

I am also 174cm short :)

Interested in which frame size and customization options you'd recommend. Thanks a lot in advance!
Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I hope you don't mind lending me your expert opinion on this.

Currently in the market for a Canyon Speedmax CFR.. I'm moving over from specialized where I currently ride an S-Works Shiv and train on a base Shiv. Both are medium frames.

That said - coming from the medium Shivs - measured in the morning I am 5'10.375" tall but late in the day that shrinks to 70 inches even - if I use the larger measurement combined with my leg length of 34.5" the algorithm suggests a Medium - using an even 70" it suggests a small.

Taking some measurements off of my shiv yields the following:
Saddle Height: 750 mm
Stack Height: 654 mm
Reach (back of elbow pad to center of bottom bracket): 420 mm

Thank you so much and I appreciate what you are doing for the sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Thanks for you help here.
Looking to purchase my first tri bike, will likely be the Speedmax CF 7
I am 184cm tall, inseam is 88cm.

I currently have a pretty relaxed frame road bike with tri bars and limited adjustment so my pad y and pad x are a bit off.
Pad y is 69cm
Pad x is 53cm

Can you please confirm Medium is the right choice and confirm other fit metrics? Keen to ensure that there will be flexibility to adjust as I progress

Thanks
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [triathlete93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Looking for a speedmax SLX 8 Di2 or eTap.
Had a pre fit on a fitting bike, here are my measurements:

• Height: 174cm
  • Inseam: 75-76cm
  • Reach:44.5cm
  • Stack: 62.5cm
  • Aerobars Tilt degrees: 18.5
  • Saddle (ISM PN3.1) middle setback: 10.9cm
  • Saddle height (vertical from BB/angled from BB): 70cm/70.8cm
  • Crank length: 165mm

triathlete93,
Super quick PSA.... Stack and Reach are terms of art that speak to a place on the frame - not a place where a rider's body touches the bike. I can tell by these numbers that you mean Pad Y is 625 and Pad X is 445 and while you could refer to them as Pad Stack and Pad Reach I urge you not to because it leads to confusion like the one I'm overcoming here, now. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Now, on with the prescribing!!! For a Canyon Speedmax SLX you should be on a size Small. You'll need the long stem/bar and the mid spacer.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mtomchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I am interested in a Speedmax CF SLX and I appear to be between a medium/large and would like to know if I could get away with the medium? I am currently riding a medium speed concept.

Height: 185 cm
Arm pad reach BB: 442
Arm pad stack BB: 639
Saddle height: 790
Saddle Setback: -5
Crank length: 170

mtomchan,
Yeah, you can fit on both the M & the L but get the Meidum, it's a better fit. You can use the short stem that comes stock in the U.S.A and a mid spacer and you'll be in the heart of your numbers.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [toniog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Hi Ian ,

I am looking for a speedmax SLX.
I actually ride a 2014 BMC TM02 size SM.
My position on the bike ( bike fit 7 years ago) is not bad but probably need to be refresh.

Height : 181
Seat : 76,5
pad X : 410
pad Y : 650

The canyon website tells me size M.
I recently realized a new bike fitting for my road bike using the shimano bikefiting and they also give me the theorical position on a tri bike. ( picture attached)
Big thanks in advance for your advice :)

toniog,
We've got 3 elements from which to work..
1) 650/410 from your fit a while back
2) 635/465 from my mathematical presumption
3) and some numbers from a road fit that tried to guess a tri position. There's no Pad Y/X in there, in fact I can only see a Stack number and no Reach - but that's a frame measurement anyway so... also, I see that that prescription recomends 172.5 cranks so I'm not sure it'd trust a Pad Y/X from that anyway.

So, yes, a Medium is the call and, here's the great news, the medium will work with either numbers. If you're Pad Y is 650 or 635 - no problem, both those work and below and above them for some movement if you need it. Also, the Pad X differential of 410 to 465 is sizeable and those can both happen on the meidum: 405 is the shortest, and 485 the longest so you're probably somewhere nicely in between.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Good news i ve just ordered the SLX Medium !

But there are personalisation option :
between "short stem" 65 mm and long stem 85 mm
aerobars : short ( 305 - 365 ) medium (325 - 405 ) long ( 360-440 )

The pad X 410 et pad Y 650 was measured by me following your video on my old TT bike.
My forearm measurement is 400mm

Thanks again for tou help !!

toniog,
Based on what we have here on this thread get the short stem and the medium aerobars.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [E1ghtball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am looking at getting a Speedmax CF 8 Disc.

My fit measurements are as follows:

Saddle height (BB to top of saddle): 76.5cm (on an ISM PL 1.1)
Setback: 5.7cm
Saddle to Pad height difference: 8.5cm
Tip of saddle to centre of pad: 50.5cm
Centre of pad to end of aero extension: 30cm

Those are the measurements I got from my bike fit. The Stack was a starting point and I would likely look to come down from there.

E1ghtball,
These are all good and help me get an idea of how you comport yourself on the bike. I really want Pad Y and Pad X (and maybe that's on your fit sheet - could be labled as Pad Stack and Pad Reach). If not, then I want to know your height and inseam length and I can combie those with the numbers above to give you a confident answer on not only the size of Speedmax CF but also the front end configuration that you'll need.

Wait, hold on, I forgot.... EVEN BETTER would be this: measure your bike like this and let me know:
Ian

My inseam is 85.5 and I am 180cm tall. I dont have the pad x/y measurements on my bikefit sheet. I'm also having a look at some second hand rim brake speedmax's. Would the size on them be drastically different?

Doug,
Yes, good that you brought up the option of the rim brake Speedmax vs the disc brake bikes. There are essentially 4 different sizes of bikes: rim brake CF, disc brake CF, rim brake SLX (super long and low) and disc brake SLX (the SLX and CFR bikes are... geometrically speaking, the same).

I think, based on what you've given me here... you've got long legs for your height.... I think your Pad Y is roughly 645 and your Pad X is probably near to 460.
  • Disc Brake SLX - size Medium, short stem, mid spacer
  • Disc Brake CF - size Medium, 80mm stem, lowest spacer, nearly slammed (this is a GREAT position for you BTW)
  • Rim Brake SLX - size Meidum, with the 65mm stem + the TSP (Team Switch Plate) to pull the pads back to an extreme, and then you gotta jack up the front end to the max: 45mm pedestal, plus somthing called the High Stack Flat Spring to eek out another 5mm. Pretty extreme position but not a problem. PS. I have some of that stuff in my possession so if you get this bike and need extra bits DM me.
  • Rim Brake CF - size Medium, you're in a nice place interms of the Y so that's easy. This bike came stock with an 80mm stem and you'll have to push the pads out 100% to get to 447 (remember, I'm guessing 445 for you). If you want to go longer you can get a 90mm stem (agian, I think I have one laying around here somewhere).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [alemarvaldi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dear Ian
Awesome thread. Super useful!

Hope it's my turn this winter to switch to a disc brakes Canyon CF SLX.

From my last Retul bike fit - that is giving me a good confort/aero combination in mantis position - I have:
Saddle height: 749mm
Arm pad stack from BB (pad Y): 651mm
Arm pad reach from BB (pad X): 425mm
Arm pad drop (from saddle middle point): -84mm
Saddle (ISM PN 3.1) setback: -16mm
Arm pad width: 160mm
Cranks: 165mm

I am also 174cm short :)

Interested in which frame size and customization options you'd recommend. Thanks a lot in advance!

Alex,
You'll fit on both a small and a medium but I want to suggest the medium because it will require only a mid arm pad pedestal (the small will need the large) and I feel that the bike handles better in all tri and tt positions when the weight of the rider is lower on the bike. So... SLX size medium, short stem, mid spacer.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [taubea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I hope you don't mind lending me your expert opinion on this.

Currently in the market for a Canyon Speedmax CFR.. I'm moving over from specialized where I currently ride an S-Works Shiv and train on a base Shiv. Both are medium frames.

That said - coming from the medium Shivs - measured in the morning I am 5'10.375" tall but late in the day that shrinks to 70 inches even - if I use the larger measurement combined with my leg length of 34.5" the algorithm suggests a Medium - using an even 70" it suggests a small.

Taking some measurements off of my shiv yields the following:
Saddle Height: 750 mm
Stack Height: 654 mm
Reach (back of elbow pad to center of bottom bracket): 420 mm

Thank you so much and I appreciate what you are doing for the sport

taubea,
I can take your height, your seat height, any other detials you provided and make some assumptions about what the Pad Y and Pad X might be for you. It's good, it works. However, a better assessment of those prescribing numbers would be to get the Pad Y and Pad X off your existing bikes... if you are comfortable on those bikes, if you feel powerful on those bikes, if you think you're pretty aero on those bikes. If you think your current position is close then please use this video as a guide and get back to me here with your Pad Y and Pad X and I can prescribe a CFR.

this link it's magically becoming a video like I wanted, if you go back a page on this thread and scoll down to post #1631 or #1633 you can watch it directly here on ST.

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all, not a Speedmax specific question but I was wondering if anyone had any information on when Aeroads will become available? They seem to have been out of stock for the best part 9 months. This isnt for me, its for my other half who wants a road bike to do it all and has set her sights on an Aeroad.
Last edited by: Boston: Nov 10, 22 5:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Got to taking the measurements.

Pad X = 15.25”
Pad Y = 26.25”
Seat Height = 29.75”

Thank you for the help.

Ethan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should have measured twice and posted once. Sorry about that. Brought the bike inside under better light and had my assistant (wife) help me measure and hold the bike. She’s the best.

Pad X = 15.75” (400.5 mm)
Pad Y = 26.25” (667 mm)
Seat = 29.75” (756 mm)

Thanks again,

Ethan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [taubea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, Ian, I’m interested in a CF SLX 8 Disc Di2.

Height : 177 cm
Inseam: 81.3 cm
Arm length (measured wrist to shoulder as shown on BMC website): 62 cm

Current tri bike measurements:
Saddle height: 715mm
Effective seat angle: 78 degrees
Pad X (to center of pad): 483mm
Pad Y: 610mm
Crankarm length: 172.5mm

I had no problems maintaining aero position for the entire Ironman bike leg last month, but I’d like to be able to reduce the Pad Y and slightly increase Pad X (one of my main motivations for getting a new bike). Many times I felt like I was sliding back and scrunching down trying to get lower, but then that hurt power production and increased saddle pressure on the perineum.

I’ve heard that Canyon bikes are long and low, so hoping it’ll work for me. Thanks.
Last edited by: AEIOUsometimesY: Nov 13, 22 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Crohwer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian

Thanks for you help here.
Looking to purchase my first tri bike, will likely be the Speedmax CF 7
I am 184cm tall, inseam is 88cm.

I currently have a pretty relaxed frame road bike with tri bars and limited adjustment so my pad y and pad x are a bit off.
Pad y is 69cm
Pad x is 53cm

Can you please confirm Medium is the right choice and confirm other fit metrics? Keen to ensure that there will be flexibility to adjust as I progress

Thanks

Charlie,
Because of the geometry of a road bike it's not a good idea to use the Pad X/Y from that bike with clip-ons to prescribe a tri bike position or purchase. Based on your morphology (read: leggy for your height) I think your Pad Y is ~655 and your Pad X around 485. The right Canyon Speedmax CF for you is a size Medium. That bike comes with an 80mm stem and that'll be perfect for you. You'll only need ~10-15mm of aerobar pedestal to get the pad height right. It's a good fit for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Pad X = 400mm
Pad Y = 667mm
Seat = 756mm

Thanks

Ethan,
Now we're talkin'!
This paragraph is specific to a Canyon Speedmax CFR based off your numbers: Pad Y 667, Pad X 400, Seat Height 756. The right CFR for you is a size Small with the short stem (that's the one that comes stock on the bike here in the USA), with the high spacer. If your Shivs are set perfectly for you and those numbers are your optimal position.. .then that is the prescription.

This second paragraph is just me expanding on my thinking so you have more info upon which to contemplate other possibilities...

Let's say you didn't own a tri bike and all you had to give me were some basics: overall height and inseam and also what you didn't say. You didn't say "I have 4 fused vertebrae from an incident in high school where I was making out while parked across some rail road tracks", you didn't say "I'm so tight I not only can't touch my toes, I can't see my toes", you didn't say "the only saddle I can ride a leather Brooks saddle and I have to sit so far off the back of it that you can't see any part of the rear of the seat". And by not saying anything that extreme my take-away is that you're pretty normal - other than having rather long legs for a guy your height. If that's all I had to go on I would have predicted your Pad Y at 640ish and your Pad X at 460.

I don't think your optimal position is 667/400. Look at how much of an outlier you are on the graph on this chart: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ld_Example_6852.html Also, the Shiv is one of the shortest, tallest tri bikes out there (in some instances, like the guys who parked on the RR tracks, thank god the Shiv offers that geometry) so it kind of allows for a short tall position like 667/400 easier than any other bike.

So, here's the great news.... if you really do ride at 667/400 then the Small CFR with short stem and high spacer is right for you. If you really do ride at 640/440 - that's a small, short stem, mid spacer. If you ride at 640/460 that's a small, long stem, mid spacer. It's still a CFR size small but the front end changes.

PS. all of the above numbers, prescription, etc are the same for a Canyon Speedmax SLX.. but not the same for a Speedmax CF.

Get back to me here if I can help further.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [AEIOUsometimesY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I had no problems maintaining aero position for the entire Ironman bike leg last month, but I’d like to be able to reduce the Pad Y and slightly increase Pad X (one of my main motivations for getting a new bike). Many times I felt like I was sliding back and scrunching down trying to get lower, but then that hurt power production and increased saddle pressure on the perineum.

I’ve heard that Canyon bikes are long and low, so hoping it’ll work for me. Thanks.

AEIOUsometimesY,
I'm going to take your Pad Y of 610 and Pad X center 483 and tweak that to 610/443 (most pads are ~80mm across so this gives an approximation to a "pad rear" number that Canyon uses to prescribe), and then I'm gonna tweak that again to a lower, longer position that you are seeking... so... Pad Y 600 and Pad X 453.
For a Canyon Speedmax SLX (this is true for a CFR as well) you should be on a size Small, long stem, low spacer.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Ian, thank you for the quick reply and the recommendation.

Would a medium fit me, too? Canyon’s site shows that the medium has a minimum arm pad stack of 581 mm which I think will be low enough. With a longer reach, I’ll be able to ride a little steeper, raising my saddle a bit and increasing the drop to the bars.

I ask because the medium has a longer wheelbase than the small - hopefully that would make it more stable on steep curvy descents (such as Escape from Alcatraz)?

Thank you for your thoughts.

-Ted

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

AEIOUsometimesY,
I'm going to take your Pad Y of 610 and Pad X center 483 and tweak that to 610/443 (most pads are ~80mm across so this gives an approximation to a "pad rear" number that Canyon uses to prescribe), and then I'm gonna tweak that again to a lower, longer position that you are seeking... so... Pad Y 600 and Pad X 453.
For a Canyon Speedmax SLX (this is true for a CFR as well) you should be on a size Small, long stem, low spacer.

Ian
Last edited by: AEIOUsometimesY: Nov 15, 22 1:18
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [AEIOUsometimesY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Would a medium fit me, too? Canyon’s site shows that the medium has a minimum arm pad stack of 581 mm which I think will be low enough. With a longer reach, I’ll be able to ride a little steeper, raising my saddle a bit and increasing the drop to the bars.

I ask because the medium has a longer wheelbase than the small - hopefully that would make it more stable on steep curvy descents (such as Escape from Alcatraz)?

-Ted

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

AEIOUsometimesY,

Ian

Ted,
The front end of the medium fits you nicely but 715 seat height is so close to rock bottom that I don't think it'll make it. But... there's a thing you gotta do that will help that whole situation. You're 5'10" and riding tri with 172.5mm cranks. That has to change. I think you should probably be on 155 but 160 might be acceptable. 155 cranks changes your seat height to 732 - then the bike prescription is size Medium, short stem, low spacer and pads pretty much dead center.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

As with most bikes I am almost always in between sizes. It's infuriating! Right now I'm on a Medium Trek Speed Concept Disc but I am looking at a Canyon CFR Disc Di2. My current dimensions are below. This is from a current fit and a somewhat conservative setup for Ironman. Pad Y is probably a bit high but I chose comfort over aero and although I could likely go a bit lower in the front I didn't bother.

Height 178 cm
Seat Height 730mm
Pad X = 480 mm
Pad Y = 625 mm

The folks at Canyon are telling me I'm a small, that makes sense based on just looking a the dimensions of the bike but I'm still a bit concerned. I don't want a bike with a bunch of spacers to bring up the pads, not a lot of them anyway. I'd also be concerned that on the medium I'd have very little seatpost showing and the bike would just feel big to me, very little standover, minimal seatpost etc. IAny thoughts?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

-Ted

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

AEIOUsometimesY,

Ian

Ted,
The front end of the medium fits you nicely but 715 seat height is so close to rock bottom that I don't think it'll make it. But... there's a thing you gotta do that will help that whole situation. You're 5'10" and riding tri with 172.5mm cranks. That has to change. I think you should probably be on 155 but 160 might be acceptable. 155 cranks changes your seat height to 732 - then the bike prescription is size Medium, short stem, low spacer and pads pretty much dead center.

Ian

Ian,

I checked the Canyon geometry diagram and re-measured the seat height at 29 inches which is 736mm (I had previously measured from the low point of the saddle, several inches further forward).

Very intrigued by your suggestion of a shorter crank. My current bike is a 2008 Specialized Transition and 172.5mm is what it came with. BTW, Canyon’s customer support told me that the Small comes with a 165mm crank and the Medium comes with 170mm. Either way, looks like I’m swapping cranks.

For reference, my son’s 24” wheel Redline Conquest has 152mm cranks and he’s 4’8”. The thinking on crankarm length has really changed.

Thanks for your advice - I really appreciate it!

-Ted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Ian,

I'm going to my second Speedmax CF 8.0, but now I'll upgrad to a disc version. The first one I bought XL, and it was fitting well to me, even with all of my back "problems" (you will see in the pictures attached). I'm 1,91m and my inseam is 91cm.

Checking the Canyon website, the recommmended size to my is L, considering the "Geometry and Dimensions" table and also adding the height and inseam in the "Find you size".

I've check from my last fit the sit height (845mm) and also arm fit dimensions and all of them suits to the large size.

Just discussed with my fitter and he believes the L is also suitable to me.

I've attached my last fit with the XL dimensions.

What would be your recommendation? Keep on XL or move to L.

PS: Since I started to use the Ramus saddle my live in the TTbike has changed completely, with no pains during the rides, independetly of the distance, so I believe I can be a bit more agreessive.

Thank you for your assistance
Last edited by: ThiagoP: Nov 17, 22 4:06
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ThiagoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dear Ian,

I'm going to my second Speedmax CF 8.0, but now I'll upgrad to a disc version. The first one I bought XL, and it was fitting well to me, even with all of my back "problems" (you will see in the pictures attached). I'm 1,91m and my inseam is 91cm.

Checking the Canyon website, the recommmended size to my is L, considering the "Geometry and Dimensions" table and also adding the height and inseam in the "Find you size".

I've check from my last fit the sit height (845mm) and also arm fit dimensions and all of them suits to the large size.

Just discussed with my fitter and he believes the L is also suitable to me.

I've attached my last fit with the XL dimensions.

What would be your recommendation? Keep on XL or move to L.

PS: Since I started to use the Ramus saddle my live in the TTbike has changed completely, with no pains during the rides, independetly of the distance, so I believe I can be a bit more agreessive.

Thank you for your assistance

ThiagoP,

Large for sure. It's perfect for you!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next