Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [kaiserlondon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

looking at a Speedmax CF, but want to be really sure about the sizing.

Height: 177
Inseam: 830

Current bike

Bike (Model): Specialized Allez (54) with clip-ons and ISM saddle
Crank Length: 172.5
Seat Height: 745n / 758c

kaiserlondon,
If you really want to be sure about the sizing then I want you to find an experience tri fitter (one who does a lot of fits for triathletes), an educated fitter (I'm thinking F.I.S.T. school, Guru Academy, Retul), and one who has a dynamic fit bike (so you can select positions while you're pedaling). The result in that fit will be both your exact Pad Y and Pad X for purchase and all your fit coordinates for riding in comfort/power/aero.

Based on what you've given me here I'd say that your Pad Y is roughly 630 and your Pad X is around 460.

The right Canyon Speedmax CF for you is a size small. That bike comes with a 70mm stem (but Canyon makes an 80 and 90). 630 puts you right in the middle of the Pad Y range so you'll have a ton or room to move up and down and the Pad X I assumed of 460 means you'll push the pads forward about 85% of max with that 70mm stem. The Medium will work too but th Y of 630 is rock bottom of that bike and you can't go any lower.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MatthewMM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
HI Ian,

I have just ordered the Speedmax CFR size M. Post sale i've been asked to choose from a few options being; Flat Bar or Riser Bar - in either stem 85mm or 65mm
and Extension Bars of Short Medium Long

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My details are;

Height: 184cm
Inner leg length: 88mm
Forearm length: 36mm
Weight: 79kg (ie. not large)

First Tri Bike so not really sure what i'm doing. Plan is for middle to long distance.
I'm too close to age 50 for my liking but reasonably flexible (not sure if that is relevant). Don't really know/understand about the stack,reach, pad x/y. Let me know if you need me to do more measurements
Thinking of going with the Riser Bar to make it a bit more comfortable when cruising in traffic etc.
Very excited to get the bike as it's been a long wait. Once i get these details to them i should get the bike in 2-3weeks (by their estimate).

thanks again, Matthew

Mathew,
I got answer and I've got a question below so hang in for that too.

You've got slightly long legs for your height so I'm gonna put your Pad Y in the neighborhood of 650 and your Pad X around 480. Based on that, yes the Medium CFR is the way to go. I think you're gonna need the long stem (85mm), and you'll probably run either the mid or the high spacer (you're right on the cusp) and to that end I too think you should get the rise bar. The medium extensions should be fine.

Now, a quick comment... just for basics... Stack and Reach are terms to describe a place on the frame, a spot actually. That spot is located at the top of the center of the headtube. We arrive there by imagining a cartesian graph, an Y and X axis emminating from the center of the bottom bracket. Then we slide along the X axis and measure up the Y axis to top of the headtube to get the "rise" of the frame (the Stack). Then we slide up the Y axis and measure out the X axis to top of the headtube and "run" of the frame (the Reach). That works for all bike frames: tri, road, gravel, mtb, you name it. When we go to a tri bike (esepcialy a "super" tri bike with an OEM, Original Equipment Manufacturer, stem) then we need to keep on with the cartesian graph but we're gonna now measure to the back of the arm pad so rather than creating confusion with terms like Pad Stack and Pad Reach we just shift to Pad Y and Pad X. The guy behind this site (Dan Empfield, AKA Slowman on the Forum) has a rich history in bikes - he invented the triathlon bicycle and he invented the terms Stack and Reach and the concept of measuring a bicycle this very logical way. If you're curious you can learn more about Stack/Reach, PadY/X here https://www.slowtwitch.com/...s_Pad_Y/X__5859.html

My question for you.... in what country do you live that your purchase experience is picking the bike and then having parts added specifically for your build?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do you know if the pro armrest upgrade allows it to go wider than the 170 mm for the cf slx?

thx again

Kar-Ming,
I don't know for sure but I doubt it. When I look at the pics (without pads) the cups have the same two holes and what looks to be the same cup width.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I noticed many pros have a riser that angles forward to add reach. Is this angled unit available to public or pros-only?

BigBoyND,

Do you mean this "stem"?

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that one. For me, the issue with the SLX/CFR is the short reach
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [cstammschulte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian
I am also currenty looking at a Speedmax CFR and I am between sizes L and XL. I am 195.5cm (6.5) and 99cm (38.8 inches) inseam, arm length 64.4cm and sternum height of 160.3cm from last measurement. Current bike is Scott Plasma Premium in XL with Pad X 715 and Pad Y of 546 (measured correctly hopefully); would be prefer to have a bit less compact going forward however and bike is hardly comparable in terms of geometrics. Set up is with 15 degree angle extensions. Any view what’s best ? Much appreciated !

Christian,
With your morphology I would have put your Pad X at ~520 so when you say you're at 546 and "would prefer to have a bit less compact going forward"... I take that to mean you'd like you'd like to be more stretched out to get to the aerobars.. that surprises me...UNLESS.. you're measureing Pad X of 546 to the center of the pad??? Then I'd think your Pad X is ~505 (roughly 40mm less from center to rear of pad) and then, by all means, yes, more cockpit!

If.... and I'm proceeding with your coordinates at Pad Y of 715 (seems logical) and if you're Pad X to the rear of the pad is ~505 but you'd like it to be ~520 (or in that neighborhood) then the proper Canyon Speedmax CFR for you would be an XL with the long stem, and mid spacer. You'll have plenty of space to move pads higher or lower, and you could even move the pads out from 520 to 528ish.

So I want to ask 3 things just to be sure:
1) Do you like your current position?
2) Would you like your current position better if the cockpit (location of the arm pads) was a bit different in some direction?
3) Could you measure your current bike using the instructions in the video below and then apply some mm to where you'd like the future position to be based on your answer to #2 just above?

Get back to me here and let me know. Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a query submitted to "my guy" on the inside. I should have a response early in the week.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MURRAY48] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian I’m looking to buy my first tri bike I was wondering about sizing going by Canyons website it says a medium? For the CF 7
My height is 177 and inseam is about 84
I have a giant contend in a medium at the moment not sure how to upload the photos from that.
Many thanks

MURRAY48,
I'd like you to do an experiment with me here if you have the time. I want to make a prediction and then... if you like your current setup on your existing bike... I'd like you to measure it and we'll compare. It helps me keep tabs on my process here on this thread.

I think, based on what little info you've given me here, your Pad Y should be around 635mm and your Pad X near to 460mm. Based on that the right Canyon Speedmax CF would be a Medium with the 80mm stem that comes stock on that bike. You will not need any aerobar pedestal... that's a nice setup.

Now, let's test it. If you like your current position: if is comfortable, if you feel powerful... please follow the instructions in the video below and let me know what the Pad Y/Pad X is on your current bike (I'd also like to know how long the cranks are).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian
I am also currenty looking at a Speedmax CFR and I am between sizes L and XL. I am 195.5cm (6.5) and 99cm (38.8 inches) inseam, arm length 64.4cm and sternum height of 160.3cm from last measurement. Current bike is Scott Plasma Premium in XL with Pad X 715 and Pad Y of 546 (measured correctly hopefully); would be prefer to have a bit less compact going forward however and bike is hardly comparable in terms of geometrics. Set up is with 15 degree angle extensions. Any view what’s best ? Much appreciated !

Christian,
With your morphology I would have put your Pad X at ~520 so when you say you're at 546 and "would prefer to have a bit less compact going forward"... I take that to mean you'd like you'd like to be more stretched out to get to the aerobars.. that surprises me...UNLESS.. you're measureing Pad X of 546 to the center of the pad??? Then I'd think your Pad X is ~505 (roughly 40mm less from center to rear of pad) and then, by all means, yes, more cockpit!

If.... and I'm proceeding with your coordinates at Pad Y of 715 (seems logical) and if you're Pad X to the rear of the pad is ~505 but you'd like it to be ~520 (or in that neighborhood) then the proper Canyon Speedmax CFR for you would be an XL with the long stem, and mid spacer. You'll have plenty of space to move pads higher or lower, and you could even move the pads out from 520 to 528ish.

So I want to ask 3 things just to be sure:
1) Do you like your current position?
2) Would you like your current position better if the cockpit (location of the arm pads) was a bit different in some direction?
3) Could you measure your current bike using the instructions in the video below and then apply some mm to where you'd like the future position to be based on your answer to #2 just above?

Get back to me here and let me know. Ian

Thanks Ian

Just had a look in accordance to your video - which is very helpful.

Referring to the above 1) and 2) - yes, I would indeed like to have a more stretched position. I am sitting quite / too compact (cf. picture attached). I indeed did measure to Centre of the pad. Current pads (to avoid confusion - different from the ones on the picture attached) are a long version rather than 8cm you assumed, so applying to the rear of the pad as per your video even gives me 473mm for Pad X. For the Pad Y I get 715mm. Hope that makes sense.

Given that what would you recommend ? Also, if I was to keep my current position, would this change frame size or is XL always the best option ? I am first of all interested what to order in terms of frame size and then to get proper local bike fit to do the rest / order spare parts if needed.

Thanks again !
Christian
Last edited by: cstammschulte: Oct 16, 22 15:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
HI Ian,

My question for you.... in what country do you live that your purchase experience is picking the bike and then having parts added specifically for your build?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Ordered from Australia. Post order they send me an email that has option for customisation.

The choices for customisation were;

Base Bar with 80mm or 65mm stem OR
Riser Bar with 80mm or 65mm stem

Ceramic Speed bottom bracket

Many thanks for your help. Helps alleviate the anxiety of potentially ordering the wrong setup.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
I'm considering a Speedmax CF 8 Disc and would like to know your size recommendation.

Height: 193cm
Saddle Height: 838mm
Pad X (to back edge of pad): 432mm
Pad Y: 692mm

Thanks,
Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very curious on this as well. Radsport make a wedge that can give additional tilt as well as about 20mm of addition pad extension. Would be very interested though in finding something that offers significantly more extension like seen above. Seems like a lot pros are utilizing something similar on their CFRs. Thanks Ian!
Last edited by: Rfitz24: Oct 19, 22 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Rfitz24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also going to be interested in this possible stem.

Although last night I flattened out the handle portion of my bars and it greatly improved my comfort so I may be good it'd be at least nice to see what is possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, great info as always. Over the last couple years, I have been enjoying my Speedmax CF SLX that you helped size me for. Thinking of moving to the new CFR disc version but the geometry numbers have me baffled. I look to fit both in either a M or L. However, the reach on the new bikes is significantly reduced from the last gen. So much so, that my current reach numbers don't fit, and my reach isn't that aggressive. Any idea what this effect will have and why they moved that direction with the new bike?

Here are my fit numbers currently applied to my CF SLX. (let me know if you need any other fit numbers)

Seat Height 790
Pad X 520
Pad Y 660

Cheers, Ray
Last edited by: TX83: Oct 21, 22 5:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking through the recently bumped thread about full length extensions found these links:
https://shop.radsport-ibert.de/de/komponenten/spacer/123/winkel-spacer-fuer-canyon-speedmax-slx/cfr
https://shop.radsport-ibert.de/de/carbon-pads/canyon/116/armpads-longo-slx

could be a worthwhile alternative
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [grant73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
I'm considering a Speedmax CF 8 Disc and would like to know your size recommendation.

Height: 193cm
Saddle Height: 838mm
Pad X (to back edge of pad): 432mm
Pad Y: 692mm

Grant,
No doubt, a size medium and the 80mm stem that comes stock will work. It's nice.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I noticed many pros have a riser that angles forward to add reach. Is this angled unit available to public or pros-only?

BigBoyND,
I put a bunch of questions to an engineer at HQ in Koblenz and here's what I know today....
  • This is not a new stem or a new cockpit, it's just a new spacer.
  • There's no specific name or even a part number yet, they are calling it the "Pro Spacer".
  • It can be placed in all the disc brake SLX and CRF Speedmax bikes
  • It's not yet available to the public as it needs special length screws and it doesn't work well with all the existing spacers
  • There are two (2) of them; one adds 25mm of reach and one adds 30mm of reach

I also saw that link in post #1640 of this thread but can't speak to that in any way.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Rfitz24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Very curious on this as well. Radsport make a wedge that can give additional tilt as well as about 20mm of addition pad extension. Would be very interested though in finding something that offers significantly more extension like seen above. Seems like a lot pros are utilizing something similar on their CFRs. Thanks Ian!

Rfitz24,
I put a bunch of questions to an engineer at HQ in Koblenz and here's what I know today....
  • There's no specific name or even a part number yet, they are calling it the "Pro Spacer".
  • It's not yet available to the public as it needs special length screws and it doesn't work well with all the existing spacers

I also saw that link in post #1640 of this thread but can't speak to that in any way.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also going to be interested in this possible stem.
Although last night I flattened out the handle portion of my bars and it greatly improved my comfort so I may be good it'd be at least nice to see what is possible.

habbywall,

I also saw your link to the aftermarket item, thanks for sharing.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [cstammschulte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks Ian

Referring to the above 1) and 2) - yes, I would indeed like to have a more stretched position. I am sitting quite / too compact (cf. picture attached). I indeed did measure to Centre of the pad. Current pads (to avoid confusion - different from the ones on the picture attached) are a long version rather than 8cm you assumed, so applying to the rear of the pad as per your video even gives me 473mm for Pad X. For the Pad Y I get 715mm. Hope that makes sense.

Given that what would you recommend ? Also, if I was to keep my current position, would this change frame size or is XL always the best option ? I am first of all interested what to order in terms of frame size and then to get proper local bike fit to do the rest / order spare parts if needed.

Christian,
Thanks for taking the time to clearify. You should be on an XL Speedmax, it's always the best option for you. If your coordinates stay as they are now 715/473 or if you change to 715/500 or even 715/510 you're still on an XL with the short stem and mid spacer. It's really nice too because 715 is sort of mid range for the XL so you can up or down in pad range if you so choose.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian, great info as always. Over the last couple years, I have been enjoying my Speedmax CF SLX that you helped size me for. Thinking of moving to the new CFR disc version but the geometry numbers have me baffled. I look to fit both in either a M or L. However, the reach on the new bikes is significantly reduced from the last gen. So much so, that my current reach numbers don't fit, and my reach isn't that aggressive. Any idea what this effect will have and why they moved that direction with the new bike?
Here are my fit numbers currently applied to my CF SLX. (let me know if you need any other fit numbers)
Seat Height 790
Pad X 520
Pad Y 660

Ray,
For your numbers to work on a CFR you'd have to be on a XL with the long stem and the short spacer - and you already know why, it's because this new Speedmax is shorter in Pad X ability than the rim brake bike you're on now. There won't be a lot of seat post exposed for you on this bike, but it'll work and rather nicely with your center of mass rather low on the bike (read: stable). If you look up to post #1642 just above it'll address how to make a current CFR longer. The German translation indicates the block of chrome extends the reach 20mm. That item would let you ride a size Large CFR and you'd still need the long stem and low spacer.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian. Great advice as always. Thinking this through, maybe it's time to get a new fit done and also examine feel and power generation with a shorter pad X value. If Canyon is moving to that and it appears the pros and AG's alike are moving that direction, there must be some validity to it and worth looking into as I assume this direction is based on what Canyon is getting from the masses of bike fitters and what they are finding works best? I don't feel at all like I am stretched out that much on my pad X value especially compared to many of the fit's I have seen but willing to look at how a shorter reach will translate to comfort and power.

Appreciate all the help!

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Ian

Christian,
Thanks for taking the time to clearify. You should be on an XL Speedmax, it's always the best option for you. If your coordinates stay as they are now 715/473 or if you change to 715/500 or even 715/510 you're still on an XL with the short stem and mid spacer. It's really nice too because 715 is sort of mid range for the XL so you can up or down in pad range if you so choose.

Ian

Thanks Ian. This is highly appreciated and very helpful! Christian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Looking for a speedmax SLX 8 Di2 or eTap.
Had a pre fit on a fitting bike, here are my measurements:

• Height: 174cm
  • Inseam: 75-76cm
  • Reach:44.5cm
  • Stack: 62.5cm
  • Aerobars Tilt degrees: 18.5
  • Saddle (ISM PN3.1) middle setback: 10.9cm
  • Saddle height (vertical from BB/angled from BB): 70cm/70.8cm
  • Crank length: 165mm

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am interested in a Speedmax CF SLX and I appear to be between a medium/large and would like to know if I could get away with the medium? I am currently riding a medium speed concept.

Height: 185 cm
Arm pad reach BB: 442
Arm pad stack BB: 639
Saddle height: 790
Saddle Setback: -5
Crank length: 170

Thank you
Quote Reply

Prev Next