Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

looking for a swimming life jacket
Quote | Reply
I currently live in a very remote location and do most of my training on my own in the sea. Unfortunately I don't have access to a harbour or other sheltered open water. As a safety precaution, I carry a waterproof telephone and would also like to explore the possibility of some sort of inflatable life jacket. There used to be a product on the market called The swim it, which was an inflatable life jacket that strapped to the swimmers leg. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available anymore. Does anyone know of any similar products that I can buy?
Quote Reply
Re: looking for a swimming life jacket [tommydog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a swim it that I used for 3 or 4 swims, but never deployed... I'm happy to sell it if you're interested.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's this kind of thing https://us.zone3.com/...riant=39559495712919, buoy plus dry bag. It isn't a life jacket though.
Quote Reply
Re: looking for a swimming life jacket [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwmott wrote:
There's this kind of thing https://us.zone3.com/...riant=39559495712919, buoy plus dry bag. It isn't a life jacket though.

I have one of those, but want an actual life jacket. Those byoys are more for visibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A belt style "type v pfd" should fit the bill.
Essentially s belt you wear with a pull cord to inflate the pfd. Designed for paddleboarding but should work for swimming
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of these; never used but makes me feel safer:

https://swimsafe.com/product/swimsafe/

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: looking for a swimming life jacket [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've one of those (or essentially one of these) for paddleboarding. And it's fantastic for that.

But wouldn't really want to use for swimming. Is a weight that means you'd be pushed lower, and it's not designed to be submerged in water (as it would be as you rotate for swimming) which means that the zips and inflation parts would corrode unless you did regular maintenance.

I'll avoid going into the discussion on the safety of solo swimming. I'm sure you're aware and so whilst not something I'd do or encourage, I do loads of things other people wouldn't support.

But when I am swimming on my own, in this case meaning I'm out swimming parallel to a beach with my wife as a semi active watcher (glances every 5 mins or so), I use one of the pull buoys. So whilst they are great for visibility they are also going to be effective for the situations when any flotation device would assist you. Ie you are conscious but need to be able to float on your back without kicking until help arrives. Also have pockets in them for the phone/beacon etc. Indeed I used to have a flashing rear bike light in there for when I was swimming in early AM as the sun came up post covid lockdowns when the pools were closed.

In terms of other things, I've a vest I wear for kite-surfing that is more for impact protection, but is on teh bouyant side of neutral and wouldn't get in way of the swim stroke. That you could look at, but for me would be way worse than the swim bouy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you use a wetsuit? I'd think that would be more buoyant than any swimming flotation device that you could realistically wear without impairing your swim stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: looking for a swimming life jacket [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Do you use a wetsuit? I'd think that would be more buoyant than any swimming flotation device that you could realistically wear without impairing your swim stroke.

I don't wear a wetsuit and have no intention of buying one. I swim all year around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own this, but I wonder if you could just inflate one of these and then tie/clip it to your waist somehow while swimming so you tow it behind you the same as those inflatable buoys that you don't want. Shouldn't cause significantly more swim drag than the buoy once inflated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered one the many inflatable waist belts?

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is what you are looking for: https://restube.us/products/restube-active

We have to wear these during Odyssey SwimRun events as solo participants. I still have one of those swim-its unopened in a box, and these are probably a better solution.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking this through I can't see why the already inflated buoy pull bag is not a better option.

I am in the water and in distress,

do I want something already inflated and attached to me to grab

or

a cord I have to find, pull, and something I can grab once it is inflated.

YMMV, but I know which one I would pick under duress.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: looking for a swimming life jacket [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
Thinking this through I can't see why the already inflated buoy pull bag is not a better option.

Because it needs a certain amount of strength / coordination to keep hold of it for an extended period of time. Image if something went seriously wrong, either as a result of a medical issue / injury, or a change in weather conditions leaving you stranded a long way from the shore and in cold water for many hours. I would rather have a life jack than something I have to physically keep hold of. Again this is the worst case hypothetical scenario, but I would rather plan for the worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the loop at the top of the bag could be used as an arm hole and the bag held to the chest on your back which would maximize keeping the airway top side. the rest of the strap could likely be alter to help re-enforce connection to the bag with little/no effort.

But you're right a true jacket would be more secure than that once on and properly adjusted, I just think that would be hard to do presumably gassed and in the water already.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: looking for a swimming life jacket [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I don't own this, but I wonder if you could just inflate one of these and then tie/clip it to your waist somehow while swimming so you tow it behind you the same as those inflatable buoys that you don't want. Shouldn't cause significantly more swim drag than the buoy once inflated.

That may be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For that scenario, could you put an inflatable lifejacket inside of the dry bag part and pull it out if you ended up needing it? You might even be able to clip a traditional lifejacket onto the outside of those which might be better in a scenario where you'd be floating for a while. I've got one of those inflatable waist lifejackets for SUPing and I'd be a bit wary about having the CO2 piece be in regular contact with salt water. It would easily fit inside the dry bag part of the pull bag. I've also got a traditional NRS lifejacket that would probably fit around-ish the pull bag - no idea what it'd be like getting that on in the water though.
Quote Reply
Re: looking for a swimming life jacket [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
Have you considered one the many inflatable waist belts?

Do you have a link to ones that would not be too much of a drag when swimming? Which one would you recommend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply