Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
I think what made me most excited about that swim relay was Lezak. I didn't give a crap about the press obsession with the Phelps medal count. But for pure sporting effort... wow. The term "finding another gear" gets thrown around a lot but Lezak absolutely crushed that anchor leg. 46.06 lcm is ridiculous, even in a swim skin.
Yeah, there are a lot of other memorable moments for me but, having not been alive for 1980 US Hockey, this is my answer as well. I watch most of the OLY swimming events religiously so definitely caught this one live and I was out of my seat screaming when Lezak out-touched Bernard. I still watch the replay at least a few times every year, those final ten seconds give me chills every time.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
Nick Faldo beating Greg Norman at the Masters

Faldo broke my heart. I grew up idolizing Greg and wanted that jacket for him so badly.

Faldo didn't beat Norman; Norman beat Norman ... or maybe "Augusta on Sunday" beat Norman?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
Britisher here:

2012 Olympics. We did and amazing job

Daley Thompson wining gold in LA
Andy Murray winning Wimbledon (and the Olympic gold, twice)
Steve Redgrave in rowing.

The investment in your athletes for those games really paid off. We could not keep up with you.

Faldo broke my heart. I grew up idolising Greg and wanted that jacket for him so badly.

I remember Daley in 84. I also remember a game on I think the C64 called Daley Thomson’s Decathlon.

Murray has been perhaps one of the most unfortunate of players. If he had just come along 5 years earlier.

Omg. I had that C64 game too. A lot of button smashing and joystick wiggling. Cue the “that’s what she said” comments. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
triguy101 wrote:

Faldo broke my heart. I grew up idolizing Greg and wanted that jacket for him so badly.

Faldo didn't beat Norman; Norman beat Norman ... or maybe "Augusta on Sunday" beat Norman?

Fair. However, Look at Faldos score that day and he played the perfect round. 67 which was the lowest round of the day and keeping his composure.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True as well

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
I just watched the Netflix Untold episode Race of the Century with the folks. It told the story of when Australia II became the first challenger in 132 years to win the old mug from the New York Yacht Club. I distinctly recall my mother waking my just turned 9 yo self, at something like 4:30-5am, to come to their room as we were going to win it (of course she waited until the start of the final leg). I sat in their bed with my older sister and together we watched that cannon fire and then all hell break loose on the water.

So many things about that moment in history bring on powerful emotions to this day. The song 'Land Down Under', the boxing kangaroo flag, our PM's famous warning to bosses, raising the boat from the water. Nearly 40 years later and all three of us were a little teary watching that episode.

There are (for me) perhaps two sporting moments that united us in pride. The America's Cup victory and 400m sprinter Cathy Freeman winning gold at the Sydney Olympics; hosting the event closely linked. However I feel that it was the Cup that stands above all other moments, not just because of the pure joy it brought us, but because I think it put Australia on the map globally. The celebrations that followed seemed to go on forever. Perhaps that's biased as it was also my home city where the Cup came back to.

So it got me thinking about what others feel was their country's proudest sporting moment? Does the moment that grabs you the most differ from what you think the country would vote for? For countries like the USA (with such a rich history of sporting success) I wonder whether it's easy to single out moments that people still talk fondly about years later, where you recall exactly where you were at the time?

Note I'm referring to publicly proud moments as opposed to when your child etc did something great.

We had just moved to Australia (from the USA) when the Americas cup was going on. I was 11 and had never heard of the Americas cup.
The Australians at my new school (and everywhere) expected me to have an opinion and to support the Americans.
The Americans did seem like classic bad guys. The technical fighting over the winged keel did seem like bad sportsmanship.
That said I had never even known anyone who had been on a yacht.

I couldn't comprehend why everyone seemed to care.

I think I ventured to say in my newest Australian slang:
"Who cares about a bunch of puf.....s on a boats."
(My apologies it was the 80s and I was 11).

But the Australians thought I was talking about their team and took offense.

This was a first of a thousand times that Australians expected me to defend American stuff.
I never figured out how to navigate this situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
I just watched the Netflix Untold episode Race of the Century with the folks. It told the story of when Australia II became the first challenger in 132 years to win the old mug from the New York Yacht Club. I distinctly recall my mother waking my just turned 9 yo self, at something like 4:30-5am, to come to their room as we were going to win it (of course she waited until the start of the final leg). I sat in their bed with my older sister and together we watched that cannon fire and then all hell break loose on the water.

So many things about that moment in history bring on powerful emotions to this day. The song 'Land Down Under', the boxing kangaroo flag, our PM's famous warning to bosses, raising the boat from the water. Nearly 40 years later and all three of us were a little teary watching that episode.

There are (for me) perhaps two sporting moments that united us in pride. The America's Cup victory and 400m sprinter Cathy Freeman winning gold at the Sydney Olympics; hosting the event closely linked. However I feel that it was the Cup that stands above all other moments, not just because of the pure joy it brought us, but because I think it put Australia on the map globally. The celebrations that followed seemed to go on forever. Perhaps that's biased as it was also my home city where the Cup came back to.

So it got me thinking about what others feel was their country's proudest sporting moment? Does the moment that grabs you the most differ from what you think the country would vote for? For countries like the USA (with such a rich history of sporting success) I wonder whether it's easy to single out moments that people still talk fondly about years later, where you recall exactly where you were at the time?

Note I'm referring to publicly proud moments as opposed to when your child etc did something great.

We had just moved to Australia (from the USA) when the Americas cup was going on. I was 11 and had never heard of the Americas cup.
The Australians at my new school (and everywhere) expected me to have an opinion and to support the Americans.
The Americans did seem like classic bad guys. The technical fighting over the winged keel did seem like bad sportsmanship.
That said I had never even known anyone who had been on a yacht.

I couldn't comprehend why everyone seemed to care.

I think I ventured to say in my newest Australian slang:
"Who cares about a bunch of puf.....s on a boats."
(My apologies it was the 80s and I was 11).

But the Australians thought I was talking about their team and took offense.

This was a first of a thousand times that Australians expected me to defend American stuff.
I never figured out how to navigate this situation.

‘Yeah take that ya seppo’

I knew nothing about yachts either. But damn was I able to draw racing 12m boats, especially ones with KA-6, after that.

Never realised we had two mechanicals to start the best of 7. The NYYC committee cam across as a bunch of …’s.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
triguy101 wrote:

It really was his to lose. When that short approach sucked back down on the 9th(?) I got a really horrible feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m exceptionally proud of all the streakers, on one hand to put ‘sports’ in its proper place as silly fun, plus any protest elements, and the how streakers run typically ends in an act of violence, especially during NFL games
Quote Reply

Prev Next