Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:
Sidney Crosby 2010 Vancouver in overtime.

I remember that being a big deal because I was married to a Canadian back then. I got caught up in cheering along.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NormM wrote:
1980 US Olympic Hockey team.

Took me a while to figure how that was possible given ‘the USA boycotted 1980’… Oh yeah
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

Edit: esp because France was talking so much trash.

Shades of 8 years earlier except then you guys were dishing it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Constantine wrote:
Jesse Owens 1936 Berlin , 4 Gold Medals

I understood the question to be "Things you remember happening, that made you and your country proud?"

I was only 7 when Tommy Smith & John Carlos made their Black Power salute, so I don't quite remember it happening in real-time

There’s not really any ‘wrong’ answers given part of the question asked about personal pride. As suspected though it’s harder for those from the USA to reach the same conclusion. Much easier when you’re the little guy who ended the longest winning streak in sporting history ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:

Likewise Cadel’s victory was quite a big deal here, at least for those who followed the sport. Then again even fewer follow yachting or track and field but we jumped on those wagons with steely determination.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Interesting. Where does the pride come from there; that you finally got to see all the aces in the one hand? The outcome was obviously never in doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For Canada, Simon Whitfield winning gold in Sydney 2000

Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
NormM wrote:
1980 US Olympic Hockey team.

There's basically no other legit answer if you're American.

I am proud and awed by many of the posts and individual American and team accomplishments. To me.... this is the ultimate story. Herb Brooks.
His ultimate knowledge and vision, dream and leadership and bucking the system, (think Patton ) to create a team of collage kids to take on a Soviet state driven machine that was unstoppable (and probably steroid enhanced ) and was undefeated for 20 years in the Olympics. It was a progression.... not a single event but a build up to accomplishment. There were trial and tribulations, no certainty... a series of unfolding events over time that went from impossible to unlikely to a miracle on ice. It's the ultimate American sports story to date.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe not an athletic sporting event, but in my lifetime Fischer beating Spassky was huge. The Soviets were utterly dominant in chess and Fischer crushed Spassky, as well as Petrosian, Larsen, and Taimanov en route to the finals. As a teenage chess player, that meant a lot to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [Guff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guff wrote:
I wasn't born yet but for Canada its gotta be Paul Henderson’s 1972 Winning Goal vs. the Soviets in the Summit Series.

Amen, I was in my Jr. High gym with 100's of other screaming teenagers and faculty, will never forget it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I was born in 1969:
  1. Miracle on Ice
  2. Everything else combined

The "everything else combined":

• Women's World Cup in '99: favored to win, but serious props for the excitement it brought to the sport
  • 4 x 100 mens freestyle Bejing: might have been the most exciting 4 minutes; also serious props for the excitement it brought to the sport here in the US
  • Dream Team: seriously? only there because we sent a team without any shooters to Seoul; great culturally
  • Not mentioned: also hockey the Flyers 4, Red Army 2, January 1976 (yeah not quite a USA team, but my god we hated the Soviets then and we not only won but physically dominated them)

To the Canadian who mentioned effing Sydney Crosby in 2010: @#&$@$%%&!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Canadians a couple not mentioned: Blue Jays world series wins 92/93, and for a few days Ben Johnson in the 88 Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That Netflix episode was really well done. I remember the last race well. I was in law school and working part time at a law firm. The day after the final race I was in the office, and I remember complete strangers talking and laughing with each other in the lifts, and the entire CBD having an upbeat buzz all day.

The next day I was in class, and we happened to be reviewing Bond v someoneorother. (Bond was the financial backer of Australia II, a corrupt commercial fraud and a professional litigant - a kind of mini-Trump). At the mention of Bond's name the class erupted in cheers, which disappointed our prof. I remember him saying "Bond is not a good person", and giving us a summary of the lowlights of his malfeasance, while we blew raspberries in his direction. It took another 14 years to get Bond into prison, after his bankruptcy in which creditors received 0.5 cents in the dollar. At least we didn't elevate him to the highest office in the land, so there's that.

I agree that Cathy Freeman's win is up there as well. I was lucky enough to have seats at the end of the finishing straight. There were a bunch of magic moments on that day alone - they referred to it later as Magic Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will add a series of multiple moments. The response of the NFL, MLB, college sports, and even at high school sporting events after 9/11 were collective great moment that helped pull a nation together at a time of lot of unknowns.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: spudone: Oct 4, 22 19:30
Quote | Reply
When Croatia made it to the FIFA world cup final in 2018
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:

+1

Also Simon Whitfild and Peter Reid winning his 3rd Hawaii Ironman
Last edited by: softrun: Oct 4, 22 21:24
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
slink wrote:

+1

Also Simon Whitfild and Peter Reid winning his 3rd Hawaii Ironman

Did Whitfield get much mainstream recognition at the time or was triathlon too niche to fire up the masses?

For example we’ve won gold in the past for things like skeet shooting (or equivalent) and though celebrated well at the time it probably doesn’t get brought up much years later, outside of close contacts or those in the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Britisher here:

2012 Olympics. We did and amazing job

Nick Faldo beating Greg Norman at the Masters
Daley Thompson wining gold in LA
Andy Murray winning Wimbledon (and the Olympic gold, twice)
Steve Redgrave in rowing.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just thought this was an apporpriate place to leave this. Jim Redmond (British sprinter Derek's Dad) passes away, and the news cycle reminded us all of this sweet moment.

Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Just thought this was an apporpriate place to leave this. Jim Redmond (British sprinter Derek's Dad) passes away, and the news cycle reminded us all of this sweet moment.

Jesus Christ I’m balling.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
Maybe not an athletic sporting event,

Hulk Hogan def The Iron Sheik in Madison Square Garden

Take it, Mean Gene!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

That picture always makes me chuckle. Magic said, "You can't get too close to Michael, or its a foul"

As for myself, Ben Johnson's 1988 win is the earliest event I can remember making me proud to be a Canuck. I remember listening to the race on the radio in the car coming home from celebrating my birthday at a recreation center. Don't think I had ever even heard of steroids at the time.

Never cared much about Canada's stacked hockey teams winning medals. As if they don't have enough trophies (wives, houses, cars, money) already.

Was a Jays fan though. Joe Carter's 1993 HR was quite memorable. I remember Alomar's HR off Eckersly in 1992 being a proud moment too. Even the Jays first win in 1992 was special. What I remember most about that night was celebrating at my friends house and his mom telling us all to shut up because the baby was sleeping. She did not give a shit about baseball.

Steve Nash winning MVP and Toronto winning the NBA championship have to be up there. Had been a Warriors fan though so bitter sweet. Actually surprised someone didn't bring up Leonard's shot vs 76ers. All that "True North" bs.
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
Was a Jays fan though. Joe Carter's 1993 HR was quite memorable.

Ouch!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Sporting moments that made you and your country proud [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Britisher here:

2012 Olympics. We did and amazing job

Nick Faldo beating Greg Norman at the Masters
Daley Thompson wining gold in LA
Andy Murray winning Wimbledon (and the Olympic gold, twice)
Steve Redgrave in rowing.

The investment in your athletes for those games really paid off. We could not keep up with you.

Faldo broke my heart. I grew up idolising Greg and wanted that jacket for him so badly.

I remember Daley in 84. I also remember a game on I think the C64 called Daley Thomson’s Decathlon.

Murray has been perhaps one of the most unfortunate of players. If he had just come along 5 years earlier.
Quote Reply

Prev Next