Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Preparing for st george heat in the cold
Quote | Reply
I live in the northeast, temps here have dropped quickly this year and our highs are consistently 60s now with many days being 50s.

I am training for st George in 4 weeks abd don't want to loose all of my heat adaptation.
I don't have anywhere to train indoors that is climate controlled, basement and garage are the only options.

What is the best strategy to employ these last 4 weeks to keep me comfortable and somewhat adapted to heat?
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for st george heat in the cold [TriMeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat for St. George. I think there's some decent studies floating around about getting in a sauna or warm bath after training sessions. You can also overdress for sessions but should be careful about fueling/recovering since you'll be working harder if you go that route. I think St. George will still be ok for those traveling from cooler places. It's at least a dry heat & should be cool enough on race morning. The swim + bike should be plenty comfortable. It might get a little warm on the run. If you can be there a few days early knock out your sessions midday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMeToo wrote:
I live in the northeast, temps here have dropped quickly this year and our highs are consistently 60s now with many days being 50s.

I am training for st George in 4 weeks abd don't want to loose all of my heat adaptation.
I don't have anywhere to train indoors that is climate controlled, basement and garage are the only options.

What is the best strategy to employ these last 4 weeks to keep me comfortable and somewhat adapted to heat?

Well, average temps up there at that time of year is low 50's/mid 70's. So not hot. I'm more concerned it could get very cold if a front moves in. High desert weather in the fall can be very mecurial.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for st george heat in the cold [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, cold is not an issue in my book because on one hand it's easily solveable with clothing and gear. On the other hand it has performance benefits and on the third side its just mental.

Heat onthe other hand is none of those things inmy book.
Especially come from a climate that will likely be in the 30-40s by then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lot's of heat acclimation strategies such as hot baths or saunas after working out.
Search pubmed and you'll find some stuff

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMeToo wrote:

As has been pointed out, the temps won't be that high in late Oct, certainly not high enough to warrant concerns about heat acclimation. That said, if you're hoping to maintain whatever heat acclimation you may have, just overdress for your workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for st george heat in the cold [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
TriMeToo wrote:

Well, average temps up there at that time of year is low 50's/mid 70's. So not hot. I'm more concerned it could get very cold if a front moves in. High desert weather in the fall can be very mecurial.

Yeah, highly doubtful it will be "hot". Anyone who trained in North East heat through the summer will be fine "if" it is even remotely warm. Bigger worry is a big cold front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on arm warmers, neoprene toe covers and gardening gloves for the morning cold. Looking at the long term forecast, 4 weeks out, the high on the day is around 70. Unless there is some unusual weather (there certainly was last year), heat shouldn't be the thing to be concerned about.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for st george heat in the cold [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good option for disposable arm warmers is to use a pair of long socks like soccer sock, cut off the toe/foot part and pull them up like arm warmers. They’re really snug but if you need to toss them at an aid station if it heats up at least they were cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMeToo wrote:

One of the simplest ways would just be to turn off the fan for your zone 2 rides on the indoor trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMeToo wrote:

As others have mentioned, heat probably won't be an issue. That being said, I can offer some advice. I faced something similar when I trained for IMTX, which is in April, while living in Chicago. My warmest outdoor ride before the race had a starting temp of 32 and on the day of IMTX it was in the upper 80s.

I did heat acclimation training 2-3 times a week for the last 3-4 weeks before the race. I would run indoors in winter gear and then immediately take a very hot, long shower; about as hot as I could handle. A couple times I overdid it on the shower and got nauseous. I'd usually sweat profusely for 10-15 minutes after getting out of the shower.

I'd also did some of the my rides on the trainer with the temperature a little warmer than usual. I didn't do anything crazy on the rides-- I kept the fan on. Also, I did not turn up the temperature for long rides. The heat acclimation was mostly stuff from 90 minutes down. I figure that, unless you have a lot of fans running and windows open, you are always dealing with heat on the trainer so there was no need to overdo it there.

I was also able to get one run and one ride in while I was in TX in the days before the race.

All in all, it seemed to work well. I was definitely hot, but I didn't struggle with the heat any more than I expected.
Quote Reply