Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hurricane Ian [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something like 20-30 percent of homeowner policies in Florida are from the gov't run insurer of last resort. When that many policies are from insurer of last resort you have a big problem. National companies like State farm are avoiding Florida. Yes you can get insurance but it's price may become unaffordable.

https://www.flchamber.com/...-million-policies/#:~:text=Citizens%20Property%20Insurance%20is%20the,insurance%20market%20is%20in%20crisis.

The Florida chamber of commerce describes their insurance market at being in crisis. Before Ian.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
My SIL was able to get a call out today from South Ft Myers area. She lives off Gladiolus Drive for those familiar with area. They had flooding during storm. but it has receded. Only damage was a few shingles are missingj. They are about 7 miles from FT Myers Beach which looks to be hit hard. The pier on Ft Myers beach is gone.

Sounds like your sister was very fortunate. We have friends off of Gladiolus that had flooded garages and flooded cars.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [Mightygator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got off the phone with my sister. They never got their notification to evacuate, even though all their neighbors did, but they called it when the winds hit 60 mph and the storm surge forecast jumped up. Instead of heading north like most other were, they haded east about 3 hours and found a hotel to stay in and returned the next day.

Somehow their house remained relatively unscathed, some minor roof damage and lost all the screening from the pool seems to be it. No flood damage, the water only made it as high as the top of the driveway, which is weird because houses on their street sustained massive if not complete loss in damage and/or flooding.

Sounds like she may be done with Florida. Can't say as I blame her.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [Mightygator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mightygator wrote:
patf wrote:
My SIL was able to get a call out today from South Ft Myers area. She lives off Gladiolus Drive for those familiar with area. They had flooding during storm. but it has receded. Only damage was a few shingles are missingj. They are about 7 miles from FT Myers Beach which looks to be hit hard. The pier on Ft Myers beach is gone.

Sounds like your sister was very fortunate. We have friends off of Gladiolus that had flooded garages and flooded cars.

Yes very fortunate. There was flooding in their street. The entrance was flooded for sometime on Gladiolus. There house is about 4 ft higher than the street so that was enough to keep them dry. Everything was built after Andrew so that may have affected elevations. Also, I understand insurance is affected by how high above sea level your house is so perhaps builders elevated the houses for that reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63120717

This report says nearly 100 deaths so far but I'd read another on CNN that it was 101 with more expected.

It completely missed us in Jacksonville, thankfully. As far as hurricanes go, I try to keep it all in perspective and recognize that we (northeast Florida) have it pretty good, with the exception of Hurricane Matthew and Irma. That said, I don't know how much longer I want to put up with finding an insurance company that will cover us every other year or so. We already got dropped in 2018 and now I'm hearing State Farm is going to stop ensuring homes in Florida built before 2010. I live 12 miles from the beach, but I'm now paying what someone actually living on the beach would have paid 13 years ago when we moved here.

Might be time to drop some not-so-subtle hints about moving to Oregon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next