Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The soleus - is there a worse muscle to rehabilitate [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker suggested seated calf raises as a way to sort out the soleus. This works. Seated calf raise targets the soleus and standing calf raises target the gastroc. I used to experience serial soleus calf injuries and I hear your frustration. Once I started to do seated calf raises at the gym on the machine (40lb weights), the next season...problem gone and has never come back. I kept doing seated calf raises and I believe that was the key to resolving my issue. Good luck with it. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: The soleus - is there a worse muscle to rehabilitate [Runout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runout wrote:
TriBiker suggested seated calf raises as a way to sort out the soleus. This works. Seated calf raise targets the soleus and standing calf raises target the gastroc. I used to experience serial soleus calf injuries and I hear your frustration. Once I started to do seated calf raises at the gym on the machine (40lb weights), the next season...problem gone and has never come back. I kept doing seated calf raises and I believe that was the key to resolving my issue. Good luck with it. Cheers.

I can say with a high level of confidence this is the correct answer Spartacus is looking for.

Been there done that plenty of times. Essentially the peak force production of the soleus is too low and it can’t take the impact like when you/we were younger, lighter and had better elasticity.

Only thing I’d say is that you don’t need to stop at a single 45lb plate.

My recommendation start with one set, controlled movement full range of motion, lightweight! Then add a bit with each workout.

When I take a break from running (happens often due to stress fractures) my soleus is alllllways the weak link when I come back. Always. But if i use the seated (only the seated) calf machine for about 2-3 weeks I’m good to go and then something else will be my weak link 🤣

When i come back to that machine i start with one 45lb plate and within 6 weeks I’m using about 5-6 45lb plates. Then at that point i just maintain by doing a few sets twice a week. Within six weeks peak force production is probably at least 2-3x as high as the untrained state.

10 weeks is plenty of time, you got this!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The soleus - is there a worse muscle to rehabilitate [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been smashing the seated calf raise a fair bit.
Hope ur right Re: 10 weeks !
Quote Reply
Re: The soleus - is there a worse muscle to rehabilitate [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
I have been smashing the seated calf raise a fair bit.
Hope ur right Re: 10 weeks !

Seated calf raises and a looong run/walk program worked for me. I had soleus issues for about 2 years.

6x5min run/walk 3x's a week
1st week 4:30 walk/30 sec run.
Add 30 sec to the run each week.

It forced me to slow down and not go too hard, too soon.
It sucks, but it works. It takes a long time to build strength back

Good luck.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Have heard rest isn’t actually supposed to improve it ? As in total rest ? It needs movement and exercise and even some return to running ? I have a feeling a half Ironman in 10 weeks isn’t gonna look great if I don’t get healing though.

Also have heard the piriformis is nasty. Another one of those ‘hanger-on’ injuries

Rest as in no real running. Stretching and strengthening helps a lot but running, especially speed work, will aggravate it more. Compression sleeves/socks help a lot too. For a lack of better words compression "keep the muscle in place" while you run. I have had this problem before a compression sped up the healing processes a lot.

Piriformis really sucks because it effects you entire butt/hip are. Not just a calf. The worst, although not a muscle, is an Achilles injury. Those can take year or longer to get over.
Last edited by: Rideon77: Sep 29, 22 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: The soleus - is there a worse muscle to rehabilitate [Runout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runout wrote:
x2 for the seated calf raises. My PT added them to my achilles treatment and it made a big difference. I didn't realize what I was missing by only doing standing calf raises. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: The soleus - is there a worse muscle to rehabilitate [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I got to 30 mins run today very easy and slow and it started to ‘clamp down’ and tighten so I stopped. Did some more seated calf raises this morn so could feel em. Will build on the 30 slowly I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whereabouts in these parts IamSpartacus? I can recommend an excellent phys who sorted out my repeat calf issues
IamSpartacus wrote:
I’m in aus, I have a 70.3 in 10 weeks 😩

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Well I got to 30 mins run today very easy and slow and it started to ‘clamp down’ and tighten so I stopped. Did some more seated calf raises this morn so could feel em. Will build on the 30 slowly I guess.

Something else I noticed with injuries in general: We tend to tighten up in those areas a bit to protect it from further trauma, but by taking away it's ability to relax-fire-relax normally it becomes more susceptible to an issue.

Point being, if you pay attention you'll prob notice you are a little tense around the affected area. When you breathe out do your best to make that area "breathe out" too in terms of letting go of unnecessary peripheral tension. Otherwise I've noticed the tension can gradually build until you hit that breaking point where it starts to "clamp down" and let you know you've entered the pre-tear/strain realm.

It's not pretty in my book, but can be extremely effective in this situation. If you are a typically a forefoot-midfoot runner (as i am), you may find that adopting an exaggerated heel landing may help save your soleus for a bit longer. Although your tibialis anterior might not be too amused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention. Today I made sure to relax all over and not run ‘tight’. Relaxed the breathing etc. I was running 5 min flat pace and my HR wasn’t passing 150 and was more low 140’s. As for the foot strike, yep I’m mid foot and to exaggerate a heel strike was one of the things that the physio mentioned. I have noticed shorter strides and adopting a heel strike slightly more does save it a little.

To the poster above I’m in Western Australia (hour south of perth).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bugger, I'm in Melbourne. But good luck with the rehab.
IamSpartacus wrote:
Funny you mention. Today I made sure to relax all over and not run ‘tight’. Relaxed the breathing etc. I was running 5 min flat pace and my HR wasn’t passing 150 and was more low 140’s. As for the foot strike, yep I’m mid foot and to exaggerate a heel strike was one of the things that the physio mentioned. I have noticed shorter strides and adopting a heel strike slightly more does save it a little.

To the poster above I’m in Western Australia (hour south of perth).

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Quote Reply
Re: The soleus - is there a worse muscle to rehabilitate [teaandstuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a general reply, but thanks for asking though, good physios and professionals in this area are worth their weight in gold.

Got again to 30 mins before it starts to twinge and get a little angry. That’s seems to be my limit, 30 mins easy road running. I’m supplementing with water running atm

As a general query, one poster said road running would help strengthen it…. Anyone use the treadmill to get back to fitness here ? Wouldn’t the extra five of the deck be more assistance at first?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for seated calf raises and doing hip, ankle mobility. Also stretch calves on slant board straight legged and bent knees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup this is me too. It sucks and just keeps dragging on. I’m almost 3 months out.
Last edited by: jeremyebrock: Oct 2, 22 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: The soleus - is there a worse muscle to rehabilitate [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for seat calf raises. I use a 60lbs dumbbell and for one leg and do 4x25. As the soleus gets stronger, I do a walk/jog routine. Walk for 3 min and jog slowly for 1min, gradually increasing the jog time every few days. Doing nothing does not help but don't overdo it either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m on day 2 of rehab exercises. Admittedly I let things slide for a long time, thinking if it wasn’t ruptured (It’s not) that eventually I’d get by with it. Meh, not so much. And my strength is SAD.

That said, I’ve got a very good physio who does virtual appointments if you’re interested. Let me know, or PM me.

And when I say very good, I mean very good as in professional sports background (Vegas hockey), Cirque du Soleil and similar acrobatic shows, he’s exceptional.
Last edited by: jeremyebrock: Oct 2, 22 15:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 1-2 soleus issues for the past 5+ years. Absolutely no rhyme or reason as to when/how mine flares up. I've been on a pretty good streak of late not having issues. All I can attest that to is 2x a week strength work (predominately legs) and lots of stretching/rolling every time I got to the gym.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next