Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hilaree Nelson, Ski Mountaineer, found dead [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:
Just to be clear, I am not admonishing her because she is a woman. I feel the same whether it is a man or woman. You've chosen to have kids, you need to do your best to be there for them.

At the risk of bringing the other forum into this, how about pro triathletes with kids. Should they stop? It's risky - 3 threads just this week, one about an age grouper triathlete killed on the bike before going to Kona, one of a swim deaths at a 70.3, and another about Kat Matthews being taken out by a car in a crash that could have had much worse consequences. Then Rappstar, Tim Don, etc etc all being hit by cars / trucks that could have killed them. For what ? A poorly paid job of swimming, riding a bike and them running a long way on the trot.
It's not like they are firefighters or rescue workers doing some greater good for society. Should tri be limited to single people with no dependents only.

I think most people would say they aren't the same (or at least don't feel to be the same) because the risk from cycling is largely about someone making a mistake and therefore doesn't really seem inherent to the activity, whereas with "extreme" athletes they are often enough engaging in something where it's "extreme" precisely because the risk is so high, maybe the cycling equivalent would be something like descending a mountain while dodging in and out of traffic.

Now whether this perception is accurate or not is a different question. We'd need some sort of data on serious injuries/mortality per hour to determine that.
Quote Reply
Re: Hilaree Nelson, Ski Mountaineer, found dead [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
question -- she and her partner were on same expedition --

is he the father of her kids? Maybe not . . .

but if he is i have a lot less room for two parents taking same risky trip than one mother . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Hilaree Nelson, Ski Mountaineer, found dead [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

but if he is i have a lot less room for two parents taking same risky trip than one mother . . .

Certainly if he was doing the dangerous bit as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is not the biological father. Not sure if he had adopted them. Obviously I imagine he was some sort of father figure either way.
Last edited by: TimeIsUp: Sep 30, 22 3:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

I’m not sure if he is the father or not. But I agree, that would be way too risky for both parents to be on an expedition of this risk magnitude
Quote Reply
Re: Hilaree Nelson, Ski Mountaineer, found dead [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
kiki wrote:

I’m not sure if he is the father or not. But I agree, that would be way too risky for both parents to be on an expedition of this risk magnitude

No, she was divorced from the father of her kids.
Quote Reply
Re: Hilaree Nelson, Ski Mountaineer, found dead [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There would be an awful lot of jobs that went away or were dramatically different if people adhered to this concept. Tons of sports, military, law enforcement, etc
---

I'd think that the benefits package for these high risk professions (health and life insurance included) helps mitigate that risk. At least in terms of providing finances to the family in case of tragedy. Do mountaineers have similar benefit packages?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next