Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Quintana Roo X-PR not compatible with old Computrainer- any workaround??
Quote | Reply
I'm making the trek to the bike shop this weekend where they are going to see if there is a workaround for getting my new QR tri bike onto my old (2014) CompuTrainer. Hoping maybe a trainer axel will work but the bike might be too wide for the CompuTrainer. I have disc brakes so that is a factor to consider.

Has anyone been able to find a workaround to get a new QR onto their CompuTrainer?

Yes, I know I need to upgrade to something like a Wahoo Kickr but trying to wait until later in the winter for another big purchase. Yet I might not have much of a choice unless I continue to ride my old tri bike on the CompuTrainer.

Am I out of luck?

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quintana Roo X-PR not compatible with old Computrainer- any workaround?? [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
I'm making the trek to the bike shop this weekend where they are going to see if there is a workaround for getting my new QR tri bike onto my old (2014) CompuTrainer. Hoping maybe a trainer axel will work but the bike might be too wide for the CompuTrainer. I have disc brakes so that is a factor to consider.

Has anyone been able to find a workaround to get a new QR onto their CompuTrainer?

Yes, I know I need to upgrade to something like a Wahoo Kickr but trying to wait until later in the winter for another big purchase. Yet I might not have much of a choice unless I continue to ride my old tri bike on the CompuTrainer.

Am I out of luck?

if you have an old bike that is good enough for the trainer, use that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New Quintana Roo X-PR not compatible with old Computrainer- any workaround?? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My old bike never fit me that well and I'm trying to get used to the new bike and spend more time on it. So would rather not have people convince me to ride old bike. No offense, I get your point but there is just a lot more going on with new bike vs old bike that doesn't need to be disclosed for this thread.

Only looking for a clever solution to getting new bike on old trainer.

Quote Reply
Re: New Quintana Roo X-PR not compatible with old Computrainer- any workaround?? [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the only thing I would say is that on the trainer, the only thing that matters is that the seat and bars are in the correct positions relative to the bottom bracket. So if your new bike fits you well, there is a pretty good chance that you can bodge something together to give you the exact same position on your old bike with an adjustable stem, maybe a new seatpost, etc.

Now, it might handle like shit out on the road, but that doesn't matter indoors.

with that out of the way, do you have a thru-axle adapter for your frame and you've confirmed its too wide?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont see any way to mount a newer wider bike into a narrow trainer without risking the frame.

Jason has a point about the contact points need to be replicated. I set up my very cheap trainer bike to match the coordinates I needed, but with the 'wrong' frame size there is 0% chance I could make it out of my driveway safely as the handling would be way too twitchy. FF post+MTB stub stem to accommodate my tiny torso. It does not matter though as that bike will never see the road again and there's no turning in Zwift :)

If there is no other alternative to setting up the older bike, sell and buy the cheapest bike you can find that would work.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quintana Roo X-PR not compatible with old Computrainer- any workaround?? [Fishhawk21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishhawk21 wrote:
I dont see any way to mount a newer wider bike into a narrow trainer without risking the frame.

Jason has a point about the contact points need to be replicated. I set up my very cheap trainer bike to match the coordinates I needed, but with the 'wrong' frame size there is 0% chance I could make it out of my driveway safely as the handling would be way too twitchy. FF post+MTB stub stem to accommodate my tiny torso. It does not matter though as that bike will never see the road again and there's no turning in Zwift :)

If there is no other alternative to setting up the older bike, sell and buy the cheapest bike you can find that would work.

There is probably not a good workaround but the bike shop is willing to take a look. And if they can't find a way to make it work then I'll put my money towards a new smart trainer. Wouldn't make any sense for me to buy a third bike.

Was hoping someone had already figured this out. (I realize it's a tiny chance)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total long shot here, and I don't actually know if it would even work. But I bought a computrainer back in 2005 or '06 and when I bought it I got "slocum stand" with it, instead of the standard foldout frame. You attached the load generator onto this frame, and your bike also attached to it. Even had a front fork mount so didn't need a front wheel. I don't know if any of these things still exist out in the wild, but I think it had a little more width to it than the regular computrainer. Kind of a pain to set up and take down, but if you're bike has a permanent place to be set up, maybe it's worth trying to find something like this? It was a pretty simple setup for locking in the rear wheel (with quick releases), so maybe adapting it to work with through axles wouldn't be all that tough.

Now that I read what I just wrote, it seems like a total long shot. Probably not any help. Good luck.

Here's a link to the stand (it appears maybe it's still being made)
https://www.hscycle.com/Pages/slocumtrainers.html

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Computrainer as my fit stand for existing bikes. We have put many XPRs on there. You just need a medium thread trainer axle adapter. The one we use is the Robert Axle Project model TRA212. We get them from QBP, a bike shop distributor.

Brian Hughes
http://www.fastsplits.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Quintana Roo X-PR not compatible with old Computrainer- any workaround?? [Brian Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian Hughes wrote:
I have a Computrainer as my fit stand for existing bikes. We have put many XPRs on there. You just need a medium thread trainer axle adapter. The one we use is the Robert Axle Project model TRA212. We get them from QBP, a bike shop distributor.

Wow, thanks! I sent this info to the bike shop to see if they have this.

Do you know which size you have? Looking on Nasbar (And Performance) there are size options:

Robert Axle Project Resistance Trainer 12mm Thru Axle (159/165mm) (1.5mm) - Nashbar

Length | Thread Pitch:
  • 152/167mm | 1.0mm
  • 159/165mm | 1.5mm
  • 160/167/172mm | 1.0mm
  • 167mm | 1.75mm
  • 172mm | 1.5mm
  • 174mm | 1.75mm
  • 178mm | 1.5mm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Quintana Roo X-PR not compatible with old Computrainer- any workaround?? [Brian Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:

I can confirm that this through axle will work with Computrainers—we saw them in our CT studio, pre-Covid
Quote Reply
Re: New Quintana Roo X-PR not compatible with old Computrainer- any workaround?? [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DonV wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

I can confirm that this through axle will work with Computrainers—we saw them in our CT studio, pre-Covid

Thank you! My bike shop is checking to see if they have them in stock and if not, they can order them.

Appreciate the confirmation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sell the old bike and the computrainer, as long as there's a market for them, and buy a direct drive trainer. the new zwift hub, at $450, looks like a no brainer
Quote Reply
Re: New Quintana Roo X-PR not compatible with old Computrainer- any workaround?? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not bad advice, but the CTs are pretty bullet proof and can last a long, long time. And with PerfPro's Ant+ bridge application, CTs can talk to lots of applications. When we closed our indoor cycling studio, I had enough CT parts (generators, frames, etc.) to carry me through the apocalypse. At the beginning of the pandemic, I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a Tacx Neo 2T, which simplified the use of various training platforms, such as Zwift, and minimized the use of consumables (such as trainer tires). As I ride a LOT indoors, I wanted something simple and quiet. About six months later, I bought a Stages bike and have never looked back. I gave away our CTs to friends of the business so that they could train inside, too.

But all of this said, if I couldn't afford a new trainer, or if I wanted to stay with what I had, the CT would have been perfectly serviceable for many, many years. I'm pretty confident in the durability of my Stages bike (over 30K miles in a few months less than two years) and I suspect the Neo would last for at least a few years. The CT will keep chugging far longer than either, though software access could, as some point, become a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quintana Roo X-PR not compatible with old Computrainer- any workaround?? [DonV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DonV wrote:
Not bad advice, but the CTs are pretty bullet proof and can last a long, long time. And with PerfPro's Ant+ bridge application, CTs can talk to lots of applications. When we closed our indoor cycling studio, I had enough CT parts (generators, frames, etc.) to carry me through the apocalypse. At the beginning of the pandemic, I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a Tacx Neo 2T, which simplified the use of various training platforms, such as Zwift, and minimized the use of consumables (such as trainer tires). As I ride a LOT indoors, I wanted something simple and quiet. About six months later, I bought a Stages bike and have never looked back. I gave away our CTs to friends of the business so that they could train inside, too.

But all of this said, if I couldn't afford a new trainer, or if I wanted to stay with what I had, the CT would have been perfectly serviceable for many, many years. I'm pretty confident in the durability of my Stages bike (over 30K miles in a few months less than two years) and I suspect the Neo would last for at least a few years. The CT will keep chugging far longer than either, though software access could, as some point, become a problem.

I don't plan on selling the old bike or CT. Once I get my new bike set up on the CT I'll be a happy camper. But when I need to take the new bike in for service (even if it's not often), I can put the old bike back on the CT and continue to train w/o interruption while waiting for new bike. Both new and old bike have been set up to fit me by a reputable bike fitter/shop owner (same guy who is checking to see if the thru axle is in stock.) Old bike doesn't fit as well as new bike but for a few days or a week, I can live.

The funny thing is that we have two CTs. My husband used to do IMs with me but is retired from triathlon at the moment. His CT is collecting dust. Trying to get him to do a little riding this winter to maintain some fitness.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
DonV wrote:

I don't plan on selling the old bike or CT. Once I get my new bike set up on the CT I'll be a happy camper. But when I need to take the new bike in for service (even if it's not often), I can put the old bike back on the CT and continue to train w/o interruption while waiting for new bike. Both new and old bike have been set up to fit me by a reputable bike fitter/shop owner (same guy who is checking to see if the thru axle is in stock.) Old bike doesn't fit as well as new bike but for a few days or a week, I can live.

The funny thing is that we have two CTs. My husband used to do IMs with me but is retired from triathlon at the moment. His CT is collecting dust. Trying to get him to do a little riding this winter to maintain some fitness.

An eminently reasonable plan! And there's some nice software that would allow you to ride together via a single PC, such as Erg Video. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DonV wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
DonV wrote:

Nice! I may come back later this winter and hit you up with some questions regarding riding together on the CT. But my husband is computer savvy so maybe we'll figure it out :-)

An eminently reasonable plan! And there's some nice software that would allow you to ride together via a single PC, such as Erg Video. Good luck!

Quote Reply