Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

In the name of planetary defense
Quote | Reply
NASA slams spacecraft into asteroid. If this technology was available a gazillion years ago we wouldn't be dependent on oil today.

Quote Reply
Re: In the name of planetary defense [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched the recap of the hit yesterday. I am continually floored by the level of accuracy these missions show is possible. Launching a 24,000 mph vending machine at a rock in space and hitting your target is a phenomenal feat. I look forward to the results to see if and how much that rock got moved.

And, if we had this tech a gazillion years ago, it's likely we wouldn't be here either.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of planetary defense [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I watched the recap of the hit yesterday. I am continually floored by the level of accuracy these missions show is possible. Launching a 24,000 mph vending machine at a rock in space and hitting your target is a phenomenal feat. I look forward to the results to see if and how much that rock got moved.

And, if we had this tech a gazillion years ago, it's likely we wouldn't be here either.

I have this feeling that I can't shake that we've moved it such that it will now be on a collision course with earth.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of planetary defense [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

I have this feeling that I can't shake that we've moved it such that it will now be on a collision course with earth.

Don't worry. That will be possible someday too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

An interesting take.
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of planetary defense [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Wherever it going, it's very possible that it will run into something, someday

Maybe 65 million years ago [give or take a million] someone someplace steered an asteroid away from their planet, and it ended up crashing into ours? Could we have just done the same to someone else?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of planetary defense [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this fall into the " don't mess with mother nature" theme?
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of planetary defense [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DART was a cocky little bitch

https://twitter.com/dartprobe

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
takes her time with the payback, but when she does . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

An interesting take.

Not only from a mass extinction POV, but also that the current thinking is that all of the water on Earth came from icy comets & asteroids; shove them out of the way and Earth is waterless [unless, maybe you can create H2O from hydrogen + oxygen + lightning? I'm not sure about that one]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 [/url]
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of planetary defense [sdbanker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's amazing what our brains can remember. I wouldn't have seen that game for an incredibly long period of time, but those game sounds (in particular the UFO) and it was like 'yes'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now we won't have to send Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck into outer space to save earth.

I guess the "Don't Look Up" movie storyline just became obsolete as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't know why these guys are all excited. I've been doing this for 50 years.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of planetary defense [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe 65 million years ago [give or take a million] someone someplace steered an asteroid away from their planet, and it ended up crashing into ours? Could we have just done the same to someone else?
---
It's highly unlikely that changing an asteroids path by 1-2% will cause it to be flung out of our solar system, through interstellar space, into another solar system, and collide with an inner planet. It would more likely continue to orbit the sun, just on a slightly different path. Our Voyager missions showed that leaving the solar system is possible but takes a lot of planning and angles/ velocities to exit the solar sphere.

And if they actually did that, humans should be sending them flowers or a shiny golden CD. The destruction of the climate and removal of the large lizard/ bird thingies with big teeths paved the way for small, warm-blooded rats to take over the planet.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's highly unlikely that a bunch of clever monkeys using sophisticated tools could do anything like that on purpose, but we're just stupid enough to do it by accident/dumb luck

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---
It's highly unlikely that changing an asteroids path by 1-2% will cause it to be flung out of our solar system, through interstellar space, into another solar system, and collide with an inner planet. It would more likely continue to orbit the sun, just on a slightly different path. Our Voyager missions showed that leaving the solar system is possible but takes a lot of planning and angles/ velocities to exit the solar sphere.

And if they actually did that, humans should be sending them flowers or a shiny golden CD. The destruction of the climate and removal of the large lizard/ bird thingies with big teeths paved the way for small, warm-blooded rats to take over the planet.

I think they prefer the term "Republican."

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of planetary defense [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:

Actually no. In the movie they plan a mission like that, but then abort it because they think they can make a profit from mining the asteroid instead (which goes wrong). That's kind of the point of the movie.
Quote Reply
Re: In the name of planetary defense [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
SDG wrote:

Actually no. In the movie they plan a mission like that, but then abort it because they think they can make a profit from mining the asteroid instead (which goes wrong). That's kind of the point of the movie.

It was an allegory. SDG knows this. The somewhat mixed critical reception of the movie and lack of understanding of the layered meanings is a higher level abstraction of the same allegory IMO. Very meta, the responses to the movie could have been in the actual movie itself, which was also the point.

Don’t Look Up is playing out in real time right now… replace “asteroid” with “fascism” and “mining” with “cashing in” and you’ve got a good movie. Throw in the “are we the baddies?” meme and the “I’m not a Nazi or fascist, I’m just conservative” meme and you’ve got an Oscar winner. Bonus for a Cassandra reference.

At any rate, JPL gets shit done once again. Culture of winning. Mission Control and their culture manage to keep mucking up the Artemis mission.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NASA astronauts: also good at MineSweeper

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply