Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
Was just up that way this weekend (I have a place in Bethlehem).

Never thought of hunting in the WMNF; that's gotta be some big woods and tough hunting. Presume you have a spot you know pretty well? What have been able to get outta there?
- Jeff

Yup, it is 100% not the place to go if you want high percentage chances of seeing/bagging deer.

I’ve done 7 or 8 seasons up there over the years, only taken 2 bucks out, couple years where I just saw does from way off, and several years where I didn’t see a thing. The ones I got, one was a small 4 pointer, one was a bigger 8 point that was the most gamey-tasting venison I’ve ever had. Definitely not grazing on apples and corn.

It’s big and empty, for sure. It reminds me of where I first started hunting in northern Wisconsin, in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. There weren’t many deer there either, at least compared to southern WI where we went as I got older.

But I like the solitude and room to roam, and I’ve found a couple spots in WMNF that I like.

When I want to actually get deer, I hunt on Martha’s Vineyard with some of my wife’s family. Can’t throw a stick without hitting a deer down there.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flathead county is investigating it. I was hoping it was a lie to own the libs.
https://twitter.com/...zd4EO5_X_dps2XagfXaw
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...nking-baby-wolf.html

It’s important to know what you’re shooting.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a horrifically unsuccessful duck opener, not much flying, whatever was around got blown out by a cold front a couple days before hand and nothing fresh was blown in. Whatever ducks were around were very call shy, and pretty decoy shy as well.

Probably won't chase ducks for a while now, maybe get after some pheasants, would really like to get some good dog work, only shoot to reward the dogs for working hard.

Finally pulled a doe tag for deer season, will be good to restock on some deer sausage.

As far as CWD, there is no known record of transmission from a cervid to a human, it is an entirely different prion than what is seen in BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis/Mad cow) or Scrapie the version found in sheep.

As of right now the CDC's only recommendation is to not eat the organs that harbor the prions (brain, eyes, spleen etc) of animals that have CWD.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I am super excited. I bow hunted as a kid but haven't had a chance for a long time. Seen some decent looking dear on the land I'm going to be hunting on. Luckily we don't have any documented CWD in this part of the state, fingers crossed it stays that way for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11253145/amp/Grinning-Montana-woman-kills-skins-HUSKY-thinking-baby-wolf.html

It’s important to know what you’re shooting.

She seems like a real winner.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
I had a horrifically unsuccessful duck opener, not much flying, whatever was around got blown out by a cold front a couple days before hand and nothing fresh was blown in. Whatever ducks were around were very call shy, and pretty decoy shy as well.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone here hunting (or fishing):
1) not too far from home.
2) And getting more dollars worth of food- than you are spending on gear, gas and permits?

What are you going for?

When I lived in Northern California- shell fish, mushrooms and berries where great deals on a cost + time + calories basis.

I know that moose are a great thing for those who live near the boreal forest.

But what else?
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
2) And getting more dollars worth of food- than you are spending on gear, gas and permits?

What are you going for?

When I lived in Northern California- shell fish, mushrooms and berries where great deals on a cost + time + calories basis.

But what else?

They make a big deal out of the Moose hunt here in Maine. I think it costs a small fortune for most people to get one though.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

What are you going for?

But what else?

They make a big deal out of the Moose hunt here in Maine. I think it costs a small fortune for most people to get one though.

Where there are a lot of moose and only a few hunters (like Alaska and Canada)- hunting probably make sense.

The number of hunter's versus moose in ME is probably not conducive to affordability. There are probably 50 million people within a 7 hour drive of ME. Some of them will pay big money for permits guides and gear.

AZ has the stupidest hunters on Earth. But there is a sh#t ton of them.

In general - I am not sure that my time and money is well spent pursuing obvious fish and game.

But less obvious stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

What are you going for?

But what else?

Where there are a lot of moose and only a few hunters (like Alaska and Canada)- hunting probably make sense.

The number of hunter's versus moose in ME is probably not conducive to affordability. There are probably 50 million people within a 7 hour drive of ME. Some of them will pay big money for permits guides and gear.

AZ has the stupidest hunters on Earth. But there is a sh#t ton of them.

In general - I am not sure that my time and money is well spent pursuing obvious fish and game.

But less obvious stuff?

I considered getting into fishing at one point, until I found out that most of the desirable fish you aren't suppose to eat any more than 1 a month or so because of the pollutants in the lakes and streams up here. Mainly mercury, IIRC.
Quote Reply

Prev Next