Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: GP 5000 TT [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To some folks on warmup flats........for TT I take my roadie or cross bike with me and do the warmup on that. I also see folks on fluid trainers. I tend to ride the TT bike in "race day setup" in a mock low intensity ride to verify all good a day or two before race day so I have time to rectify issues and that if a tire is losing air slow, I'll see it before raceday and be good to go. I've ridden the TT bike a pile, no need to warmup on it.

Sure, shit still happens. But you just reduced the possible shit by a few miles of possible warmup road hazards.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately for road nationals this year I didn’t have the opportunity to a trainer or rollers. The family packed into my Honda Civic with a few bikes ranging from my TT bike to a strider and wheels to match. But yeah I’ve seen way too many flats in pre-race warm up, usually in a beat up parking lot, or turning around in a dirty place on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hypothetically speaking if you consider BRR the CRR experts and Aerocoach the CDA experts and add them together you get this assuming latex tubes (BRR test results -1.7w) in the non tubeless tires:
Record clincher aero is an estimation as it’s more narrow but has a glueed on tread like the CS so I gave it a 319w educated guess.

25mm tires CRR + CDA
CS 2.0 7.5w + 320.1w = 327.6
SchwalbePro1 8.1w + 317.2w = 325.3
PowerTT latex 7.5w + 319.2w = 326.7
Record 23mm 8.1w + 319w = 327.1

So maybe the Schwalbe is actually the fastest tire to run? I know you can poke holes in the above. Tire to rim interface and such things. Aerocoach says you can run a tubeless tire with a latex tube with no penalty? It’s hypothetically interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [TheWhiteCarrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheWhiteCarrot wrote:
Hypothetically speaking if you consider BRR the CRR experts and Aerocoach the CDA experts and add them together you get this assuming latex tubes (BRR test results -1.7w) in the non tubeless tires:
Record clincher aero is an estimation as it’s more narrow but has a glueed on tread like the CS so I gave it a 319w educated guess.

25mm tires CRR + CDA
CS 2.0 7.5w + 320.1w = 327.6
SchwalbePro1 8.1w + 317.2w = 325.3
PowerTT latex 7.5w + 319.2w = 326.7
Record 23mm 8.1w + 319w = 327.1

So maybe the Schwalbe is actually the fastest tire to run? I know you can poke holes in the above. Tire to rim interface and such things. Aerocoach says you can run a tubeless tire with a latex tube with no penalty? It’s hypothetically interesting.

Thus it is a tie, considering the measurement errors no protagonists is quoting.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'll tell you what I want -

GP5000TT's EXACTLY like the ones Bigham just broke the One Hour Record with! Ha!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:

GP5000TT's EXACTLY like the ones Bigham just broke the One Hour Record with! Ha!!!!!!!!!!!

What probably is very different is the Princeton Carbon wheels. I bet the tire pressure is sky high ,to get the Crr down to something similar to a Vittoria Pista track tire. Your garden variety carbon clincher would/could blow apart at 200psi. I wouldn’t be surprised if they used a wire bead.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine will be here in three days.........here we go!
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Hanginon wrote:

What probably is very different is the Princeton Carbon wheels. I bet the tire pressure is sky high ,to get the Crr down to something similar to a Vittoria Pista track tire. Your garden variety carbon clincher would/could blow apart at 200psi. I wouldn’t be surprised if they used a wire bead.

I read somewhere that he was running 130 psi but maybe he would be kind enough to grace us with his presence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Hanginon wrote:

I read somewhere that he was running 130 psi but maybe he would be kind enough to grace us with his presence.

Good stuff going on with this thread. Happy new data was brought forward to clear things up for everyone.

It is unlikely a special wheel and/or tire was made for Dan. A big part of me hopes we can get confirmation stock parts were used and get the details on actual pressure. I'm expecting it to be quite a bit above max pressure. 130 being the floor of my expectations. I would expect Dan to pump to failure and run the numbers backwards to figure out what he can get away with, then test aero to do the final optimization.

Oh and as a side note to some comments regarding race recon and warmup rumpophobia; why not just bring training wheels? I don't see anyting simpler and more efficient than this. That's what I do and I can tell you it's not on my "things to improve" list.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone got a mounted width on these?

As per Rony Kuba:

25mm GP5000 TT measures 27mm on a HED Vanquish with 21mm internal width rim.

Not sure how accurate his measurement is but if accurate this would mean they run on the narrow side of the spectrum.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BRR results are in and they tested at 0.2W slower than the Corsa Speed. May be faster when combining aero.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
BRR results are in and they tested at 0.2W slower than the Corsa Speed. May be faster when combining aero.

We kinda already “know” from the combined aero crr charts from aerocoach. Could take the newer crr and pair with aero of a gp5000.

If it is only .2 slower on crr, the combined is “hellllzzzz yeah”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:

This link is to a TdF branded tire, any reason to believe that's different than the 5000 S TR?
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-5000-s-tr
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the 5000 S TR and 5000 TT TdF are two completely different tires, which is why BRR has distinct test results for each. This thread is specifically focused on the TT tire, not the S TR.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Yes, the 5000 S TR and 5000 TT TdF are two completely different tires, which is why BRR has distinct test results for each. This thread is specifically focused on the TT tire, not the S TR.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...toria-corsa-speed-g2
And the Corsas effectively equal at 80psi (and one mm wider) - As upthread "considering the measurement errors no protagonists is quoting"
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Sep 15, 22 5:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerocoach tire aero:
CS = 320.1w
GP5000 = 318.7w

1.4w aero savings. So if CRR according to BRR is equal then the 5000TT (assuming equal aero to GP5000) should be at least 1.4w faster not even taking into account it measures slightly narrower which is an added bonus.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [TheWhiteCarrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is is really narrower? GP5000 is already pretty narrow.

The thinner tread will not help aero. Plus it's good to note that the 5000 TT was found to be as fragile and thin as the CS, per BRR. No magic happening.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s not narrower than a GP5000.
Thinner Tread and feels more supple.
Twice as hard to mount.
26.8 width on a Lightbicycle Trispoke which is the same as the GP5000 it replaced.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Plus it's good to note that the 5000 TT was found to be as fragile and thin as the CS, per BRR. No magic happening.

Thought as much. I guess the clue is in the "TT" - fit for short time trials not long distance triathlon on average roads which most of us ride on.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they'd be fine for any race on pavement. Just don't expect a robust training tire that is also very fast.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Essentially it’s a tie at the top if you run with latex tubes. CS, GP TT, Veloflex Record, Power TT, Schwalbe Pro 1 TT. Pick one. Splitting hairs or less.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:
It’s not narrower than a GP5000.
Thinner Tread and feels more supple.
Twice as hard to mount.
26.8 width on a Lightbicycle Trispoke which is the same as the GP5000 it replaced.

Twice as hard to mount in comparison to GP5000 TR? Those damn things are brutal to mount in my hed jet blacks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next