Condor
Gray Man
Terminal List
Top Gun Maverick

Probably missing a few but I'm tired
Quote Reply
Re: A new golden age of dude movies? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed Reacher movies and Grey Man and will look into the others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
A Renaissance if you will

Reacher
Condor
Gray Man
Terminal List
Top Gun Maverick

Well, Reacher, Condor, and Terminal list are series (I’m assuming you don’t mean the Tom Cruise movies) not movies, and Condor started 4 years ago.

Gray Man was good fun, but nothing new. Maverick was a really good movie, but I’m not sure there’s anything distinctive about right now that makes it a renaissance of dude movies.

Maybe you’ve just been out of the loop on movies and streaming series for the past 10 years.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: A new golden age of dude movies? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Reacher
Condor
Gray Man
Terminal List
Top Gun Maverick

Well, Reacher, Condor, and Terminal list are series (I’m assuming you don’t mean the Tom Cruise movies) not movies, and Condor started 4 years ago.

Gray Man was good fun, but nothing new. Maverick was a really good movie, but I’m not sure there’s anything distinctive about right now that makes it a renaissance of dude movies.

Maybe you’ve just been out of the loop on movies and streaming series for the past 10 years.

It's more I just am enjoying these movies and shows in a way that harkens back it seems.

Just blow a ton of shit up, cool chases, mediocre story, limited FX, hand to hand combat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Reacher
Condor
Gray Man
Terminal List
Top Gun Maverick

It's more I just am enjoying these movies and shows in a way that harkens back it seems.

Just blow a ton of shit up, cool chases, mediocre story, limited FX, hand to hand combat.

Sure. Just saying there's lots of this available from the past few years. If you're liking what you see, I'm sure the combined forum can provide a lot of similar stuff available to stream.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Reacher
Condor
Gray Man
Terminal List
Top Gun Maverick

Sure. Just saying there's lots of this available from the past few years. If you're liking what you see, I'm sure the combined forum can provide a lot of similar stuff available to stream.

I'm having a problem explaining

So Grayman and Bourne are at a high level the same concept (broken man becomes government assassin).

I like both book series, neither of which resemble the movie.

I SIGNIFICANTLY liked Grayman movie better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its your bromance with Ryan Gosling. :)

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm having a problem explaining

So Grayman and Bourne are at a high level the same concept (broken man becomes government assassin).

I like both book series, neither of which resemble the movie.

I SIGNIFICANTLY liked Grayman movie better.

Grayman had many more casualties. For instance, scores of innocent police in Prague, just doing their job, massacred.

I enjoyed Grayman myself, but I find myself wondering if we have a society (and me as a member of it) that finds pleasure in entertainment especially where hundreds of innocents are killed in the name of the story. If so, should the same society be surprised when a kid shoots up a school.

Death is entertainment. We are getting close to:

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

John Wick

"I once saw him kill three men with a pencil"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to add my two cents about The Gray Man. I enjoyed it. If you like John Wick or Jason Bourne type main characters, this is your movie.
As for Maverick, I think it is a good sequel. I was happy when I found it in the library of this addon, but when I watched it, I regretted that I didn't go to the cinema. I guess I'd enjoy it even more.
Last edited by: BessYa: Sep 9, 22 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Don't forget to include the absolute suspension of reality.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: A new golden age of dude movies? [BessYa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: A new golden age of dude movies? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

John Wick

"I once saw him kill three men with a pencil"

Just as an aside on the John Wick movies. My sons and I tried to track the body count of the movies, but gave up after we hit 100. It's nice of Mr. Wick to ensure he double taps or triple taps all of his kills so we were not left wondering if anyone survived and should not have been counted.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: A new golden age of dude movies? [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.visu.info/john-wick-kill-count = 77
https://www.visu.info/john-wick-2-kill-count = 128
https://www.visu.info/john-wick-3-kill-count = 85

290 Total aligns to
https://listofdeaths.fandom.com/wiki/John_Wick

But I've also seen 299 and 306 as a total [maybe, as trieatalot posted "wait? was that the same guy?" especially when people are all dressed alike] so double- and triple-taps got added

Quote Reply
Re: A new golden age of dude movies? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
windywave wrote:

Don't forget to include the absolute suspension of reality.

Bullet Train was fun, though a little claustrophobic

Quote Reply