Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: GP 5000 TT [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom's handling skills are amazing. It seems impossible for a guy that light to drop down a mountain like he does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
Apparently, Tom Pidcock's unbelievable 62mph Stage 12 descent yesterday was done on GP 5000S TR tires.
Gotta love the new tech - Life is good!

Not so good when you gotta pay $100 for a $40 tire.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Not so good when you gotta pay $100 for a $40 tire.
On yesterday's training ride, I got passed by a $250K V12 Ferrari that sounded like canvas ripping. I can't afford the Ferrari, but I can afford the TT bike I was on.

A sad fact of life is that across almost all sports, speed costs money. Sure, I'd prefer $40 racing tires. However, when compared to the Clement Silk tubular's we raced in the 70's, IMHO these newest racing tubeless tires, that give this kind of performance, are a good value - simply use your $40 tires w/butyl inners for training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GP5000 TR is no Ferrari... (wouldn't that be the Clemet silk... exotic, fast, fragile?) maybe an overpriced Lexus sedan. It's no faster than the TL, and slower than several other tires you can buy for far less money.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...grand-prix-5000-s-tr
https://www.bikeradar.com/...rix-5000s-tr-review/

Pros are using tires with this label... but I doubt they are the same. Conti typically supplies pro tires (going back many years) without the vectran belt and with thinner tread... and tubulars with latex tubes. I have no proof they are doing that here, but it would make sense.

Continental has been making excellent tires for many years now... they win the durability/reliability/speed contest nearly every time, and they aren't too expensive (except for this tire). So I use the GP5000 clincher on a daily basis... but if speed is your priority there are faster tires, like Corsa Speed, Pista (no longer made), VF Record, and Michelin TT. And I don't think I've paid over $40/tire for racing or training yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
So I use the GP5000 clincher on a daily basis... but if speed is your priority there are faster tires, like Corsa Speed, Pista (no longer made), VF Record, and Michelin TT. And I don't think I've paid over $40/tire for racing or training yet.

Do you have any links for where these faster racing tires are in stock for less than $40?
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At Bike24 you can get the VF Record for $36, but there is a flat $20 shipping charge (seems to not matter how much you buy), so you should load up on bike stuff. GP5000 is $33 from there. Michelin TT is $42. The Pistas and Corsa Speeds I bought awhile ago. The Michelin TT currently is $50 shipped from ebay.

Lots of tires are faster than the TR... like the GP5000 with a latex tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
At Bike24 you can get the VF Record for $36, but there is a flat $20 shipping charge (seems to not matter how much you buy), so you should load up on bike stuff. GP5000 is $33 from there. Michelin TT is $42.

I'm in the US and have previously ordered from Wiggle in the UK. I was unaware of Bike24 - their prices seem excellent - Thank you!

rruff wrote:
Lots of tires are faster than the TR... like the GP5000 with a latex tube.

I know - this was really my opinion of the TR's grip and cornering capabilities during Pidcock's truly unbelievable descent in Stage 12 of the TDF.

My switch to 25mm tubeless tires w/sealant on my racing wheels was two-fold. #1 - it seems like all the newest tire tech is being released this way and #2 - I race relatively short TT's. You get a flat, you're screwed. Should I re-think this?
Last edited by: Hanginon: Jul 18, 22 4:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
My switch to 25mm tubeless tires w/sealant on my racing wheels was two-fold. #1 - it seems like all the newest tire tech is being released this way and #2 - I race relatively short TT's. You get a flat, you're screwed. Should I re-think this?

You are screwed in a TT if you flat, but IME the stuff that damages bike tires is on the shoulder. So if you can avoid riding on the shoulder, fragile tires without sealant are ok. I'm mostly worried about flats during warmup. Definitely a risk/reward tradeoff.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AeroCoach has posted data on this tire and it's just behind the Corsa Speed, Power TT, and Supersonic. So second fastest TL tire
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Aug 12, 22 21:55
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And correct me if I’m wrong, fastest hookless compatible TL tire correct?

Quote | Reply
Looks like Aerocoach also corrected their (flawed?) test result on the Veloflex Record. It's now a more reasonable 21.3w as opposed to the previously posted 16.5w, which raised a lot of eyebrows.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
I do wish they’d make it in something other than 23mm. I have a lot of the first gen/sick tread Records but 23mm is too skinny to run on Hed Vanquish.

Smaller tires are usually more aero than larger ones on any rim, so long as you don't get silly. So if you are getting better Crr, and your roads are good, then there is no downside.

BTW... I flatted a VFR at Masters Nats recently... only a minute after leaving the ramp! I don't know that I can really blame the tire though, as I suspect I actually damaged it (tiny cut in the casing right where the tread meets the sidewall) at a road race last fall and didn't realize it, because it didn't flat at that time. Anyway the latex tube eventually extruded through that tiny cut and popped.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/...ling-resistance-data

Would like to get some clarification on that... 21.3 W is more than their corrected data used to be. Maybe just a newer test. Same as the 25mm Corsa Speed now.

GP5000 TT TL is 23.1 W, so decent for a tire that is surely more durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:
I do wish they’d make it in something other than 23mm. I have a lot of the first gen/sick tread Records but 23mm is too skinny to run on Hed Vanquish.

Smaller tires are usually more aero than larger ones on any rim, so long as you don't get silly. So if you are getting better Crr, and your roads are good, then there is no downside.

BTW... I flatted a VFR at Masters Nats recently... only a minute after leaving the ramp! I don't know that I can really blame the tire though, as I suspect I actually damaged it (tiny cut in the casing right where the tread meets the sidewall) at a road race last fall and didn't realize it, because it didn't flat at that time. Anyway the latex tube eventually extruded through that tiny cut and popped.

I flatted my VFR at elite nationals just before the turn around too. There was a 5mm cut just off center on the tread. The course was shaped like and L. I came out of the right hand corner heading up to the turn around and psssssss. The tire went down so fast I almost crashed as the front end got loose.

I’ll keep them for my track racing adventures. Interestingly enough they also measure around 25mm on my LB 3spoke wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd still use VFRs for TTs. Used Vittoria Pistas for a few years with no issues. Obviously you ran over something sharp, and it's hard to tell if it would have punctured a slightly more durable tire.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Looks like Aerocoach also corrected their (flawed?) test result on the Veloflex Record. It's now a more reasonable 21.3w as opposed to the previously posted 16.5w, which raised a lot of eyebrows.

I don't think they "corrected" a "flawed" test. Their post says they updated it because the tire has been updated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerocoach restested the VFR with new tread and got only 7.5% increase vs the original slick and slippery models, putting it at ~17.7W vs the earlier 16.5W. Now it has jumped to 21.3W and I wonder when that happened? I didn't think the tire had been changed lately.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ds_P7339645/?page=-1
Xavier
Jul 2, 21 8:59
Post #113 of 114 (938 views)
Also, we've just retested the latest batch of Veloflex Records that we've been sent, and there's a ~7.5% increase in Crr compared to previous ones. The tread is a bit different on these. We contacted Veloflex and they confirmed that the tread is now done differently, but the difference is only 1.2w for a pair of wheels at 45kph (0.6w per tyre), meaning that they're still faster than Corsa Speeds.
Last edited by: rruff: Aug 13, 22 12:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what we can see, there appear to have been some changes in the VF Records and I'm discussing it with Veloflex at the moment. We absolutely had in our possession a number of tyres which had the super low Crr, there's no question about that. Since then there have been some changes, perhaps small construction wise but significant Crr wise, and the post referenced where I tested the slick vs non slick appears to be after a general jump up in Crr (in that post I just did a quick 1 to 1 comparison between the two tyres to see the differences but not absolute values).

It makes sense now because the data we have on the most current tyres is much more inline with everyone else who's tested them, which must have been the non super version/a more recent version. Still a good tyre IMO - we've now finally managed to get hold of stock of 23mm Corsa Speeds but until they came back in the 23mm Records were by far the best 23mm option.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
And correct me if I’m wrong, fastest hookless compatible TL tire correct?

I believe you are correct. One of the real weaknesses of hookless was the lack of fast tires. The new GP5000 TT is competitive with the Corsa Speed on Crr and is probably more aero. Now that the new VFR is no longer stupidly fast, hooked rims are losing one of their last big advantages.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fact that the gp5000 TT doesn’t come in 23mm eliminates them from my consideration
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should care about real size, not nominal size. 25mm GP5k is similar to GP4k in 23mm, if you were previously using that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am comparing it to gp5000 and corsa speeds. Was thinking about putting this on the front wheel of my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I am sticking with corsa speeds then. Even if the Conti is more durable, I’d be worried about the increase in crr with wear like the regular tires have. I’ve never had a corsa speed I’d want to ride past 250 miles haha, not a problem

I always kept a spare but stopped a couple years ago, waiting for the TT to come out in case it was better. Unfortunately the supply chain caught me out but now they are back in stock.
Quote Reply
Re: GP 5000 TT [bob tobin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bob tobin wrote:
Xavier wrote:
Hanginon wrote:
Just for clarity - The Continental Grand Prix TT and the Continental Grand Prix 5000TT TDF are not the same tire.
The latter is the newest, lighter version of the tubeless GP5000S TR, and I believe neither BRR nor Aerocoach has tested it. It was on a number of this year's TDF Stage 1 TT bikes. However, underdog Lampaert won (in very wet conditions) riding Specialized's newest also-not-yet-available tires.

We're on it but haven't got hold of them yet, UK distributor is being slow!

What are you playing at Xav! :-p

I dont think it is as good as a Veloflex or Vittoria but it isnt very far away and as a TT specific tyre it could be more aero (rim dependant). Be interesting to see if you get the same results.

What is the internal rim width and the mounted width of the 5000TT on that rim? The Power TTs I am running tend to be on the larger side of a 25mm. I’m thinking the Conti may measure on the lower side of a 25 like the rest of the GP 5000s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 23mm VFR on my LightBicycle 3spoke and it measures a hair over 25mm at 90 psi.
Quote Reply

Prev Next