Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
AXS wireless blips question
Quote | Reply
I know the following:

1. Sram Axs wireless blips can be paired to a derailleur so that the blipbox is then no longer required

2. Recent backwards compatibilty inprovements mean Sram AXS shifters and Axs blipbox support 11 speed sram red etap derailleurs provided the AXS controller has the most recent firmware.

My question: If i pair the axs blipbox, 11 speed etap derailleur and axs wireless blips, are the wireless blips still going to work with the 11 speed derailleur?
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [ryinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea but as a user with eTap 11s on my road and TT.... insterested in the answer as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM support have confirmed this will NOT work. It apparently relied on a firmware update to the derailleurs themselves and is 11 speed derailleurs did not get that update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But for a 1x setup... one would only need the new Blips and an AXS derailleur... no need for the blip box?

If so, that sounds pretty awesome... I'll go to 12 gears, lose the blip box and have new blips.
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
But for a 1x setup... one would only need the new Blips and an AXS derailleur... no need for the blip box?

If so, that sounds pretty awesome... I'll go to 12 gears, lose the blip box and have new blips.

I read the following as yes, have blip box still. The controllers listed are all road bike shifters, and the blip box.

"Up to 4 pairs of Wireless Blips can be paired into a system. A system controller must be present for Wireless Blips to function."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, watch this video to get a good feel of it.

Don't forget you will have to change your wheels freehub to accommodate sram 12 speed + the casette...

It's really annoying and my view short sighted that sram has not really provided proper support for 11 speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryinc wrote:
Yes, watch this video to get a good feel of it.

Don't forget you will have to change your wheels freehub to accommodate sram 12 speed + the casette...

It's really annoying and my view short sighted that sram has not really provided proper support for 11 speed.
Looks like I need an AXS blipbox or shifter to do the initial pairing. After that I guess the controller isn't necessary unless it somehow got unpaired?

Already checked my Flo wheel and they have a cassette body for SRAM 12s. So looks like I'd need that, the cassette, AXS rear derailleur, new blips and a the blip box or shifter.

Agree, I feel like they never really did anything with the original eTap 11s... what was the USB dongle for? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A blip box or road shifters are required for initial set up, but after that the blips can stand on their own.
Fun fact, ST has a front page and slowman covered the process there.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...less_Blips_8220.html

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
A blip box or road shifters are required for initial set up, but after that the blips can stand on their own.

that's a nasty rumor. slowtwitch is only a forum.

i have used a blip box, a road shifter, and zipp's aerobar extension that has the shifter built into it. you could take your bike to a bike shop and use any shifter of any time they have. or go to a friend's house who has a sram bike. you only need to go through it once, it takes less than a minute, and it doesn't disrupt the shifter's own paired functions.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:

Awesome... I may do just that and thanks to Dan as well for backing this up in a follow up post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And just to provide a little more detail, once the shifts or blip box establish the pairing they are wholly unnecessary. Any trimming or adjustment can be done on the SRAM app on a phone or tablet.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the write up and the context. Super helpful. Reviving this as I am about to upgrade 11s mech shimano to 1x 12s SRAM AXS. Seems like it is very doable to operate with just rear derailleur and 4 wireless blips by 'borrowing' a blip box at the bike shop. Is there any reason the wireless blips would become disconnected and need to be re-paired? Assuming they are not going any distance away from the rear mech at any point. Asking as I do not own any other SRAM powered bikes and will not own any of the controllers should I need to re-pair.
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [Hingus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had my setup for about 6 months with just a Rival AXS RD and 2 wireless blips on my TT bike. No problems with disconnecting yet.
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [Hingus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hingus wrote:
Thank you for the write up and the context. Super helpful. Reviving this as I am about to upgrade 11s mech shimano to 1x 12s SRAM AXS. Seems like it is very doable to operate with just rear derailleur and 4 wireless blips by 'borrowing' a blip box at the bike shop. Is there any reason the wireless blips would become disconnected and need to be re-paired? Assuming they are not going any distance away from the rear mech at any point. Asking as I do not own any other SRAM powered bikes and will not own any of the controllers should I need to re-pair.

even after changing batteries the pairing is sticky.

think about getting an XPLR system if you haven't gotten it already. derailleur cage is longer for wider range cassettes, up to 10-44. the only real difference is the XPLR RD and the cassette. i think everything else you'd use - crank, shifters, chain, brakes - is probably the same.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

think about getting an XPLR system if you haven't gotten it already. derailleur cage is longer for wider range cassettes, up to 10-44

I just measured the cage length on both my Red 33T max and my Red XPLR rear derailleurs, and it's exactly the same at 70mm. The XPLR has a longer B knuckle, but I really wish the cage were longer as well. The picture below shows the cage length on my XPLR rear derailleur:

Last edited by: RichardL: Feb 17, 23 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Slowman wrote:

think about getting an XPLR system if you haven't gotten it already. derailleur cage is longer for wider range cassettes, up to 10-44

I just measured the cage length on both my Red 33T max and my Red XPLR rear derailleurs, and it's exactly the same at 70mm. The XPLR has a longer B knuckle, but I really wish the cage were longer as well. The picture below shows the cage length on my XPLR rear derailleur:

interesting. i wonder what accounts for the greater range of the XPLR? here they are:

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
[
interesting. i wonder what accounts for the greater range of the XPLR?

As you can see from the picture you posted, the geometry and length of the B-knuckle on the XPLR are different, with the B-knuckle being longer. I would prefer the B-knuckle being the same length and the cage being longer instead to better take up chain slack. What were they thinking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Slowman wrote:
[
interesting. i wonder what accounts for the greater range of the XPLR?

As you can see from the picture you posted, the geometry and length of the B-knuckle on the XPLR are different, with the B-knuckle being longer. I would prefer the B-knuckle being the same length and the cage being longer instead to better take up chain slack. What were they thinking?

well, they're not idiots. so, there's a method to their process. but it's not what i would have assumed, obviously, as i assumed that the cages were different lengths. i'm riding their eagle AXS RD on my gravel bikes and there's a ton of range there. i'm riding 10-50 12sp cassettes. what i do find interesting is that they don't really care of the cage runs past vertical. historically, that was a no-no. but heck they shift so whatever.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would prefer the B-knuckle being the same length and the cage being longer instead to better take up chain slack. What were they thinking?

They were thinking there wouldn't be a front derailleur, so they could hit the chain capacity requirement just fine with a mid cage, and not get the chain slap and increased leverage on the clutch that comes with a longer cage.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Everyone
without opening a new thread,I take advantage of this already open.
I've bought in July a new cervelo tt bike with SRAM AXS 12speed and 4 blips were mounted from the dealer the day I bought it.
I haven't many changes to ride the bike in this 3 months, total just about 200km in 3 rides.
Today (3rd ride) Garmin Edge warned that a device has a critical battery and that sounded me strange.
AT home I checked the SRAM App and it shows that 3 (on a total of 4) blips are with a critical red battery.
When I bought the bike I paired and updated all of them and battery was quite full.

I've wrote email to SRAM support in order to understand if they can provide some help

Any of you had same issues?
Accordingly to Forum knowledge, is there any kind of warranty with Blips and their batteries?

For the record
bike always stored covered in a closed garage with temperature in the range 15-25
rode with mild temperature (12-25)

thank you for any help provided
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [scottim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a two year warranty on the battery life...

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/articles/6224820053275-Are-dead-batteries-covered-within-the-two-year-warranty-for-SRAM-eTap-AXS-Wireless-Blips-

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you very much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sram updated the AXS software today, now you can pair wireless blips directly with a derailleur, no main controller needed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4ij7BNslpi/
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now that you can pair blips through the app I'm tempted to switch over from my 11 speed "acoustic" Shimano Ultegra 2X to SRAM electronic 1X. However all my freehubs are 11speed Shimano. Am I going to have to replace with XD freehubs or can I just use a 12 speed cassette that will fit on the existing HG freehub? I know I need the XD to run the 10 tooth sprocket but if I'm ok running 11 tooth as my smallest cog it should be fine right?

Changeover would be

Remove mechanical FD

Swap the front chainring to a 1x that will fit on my Shimano cranks

Swap RD to SRAM Etap

Install 12 Speed Chain and Cassette

Mount and Pair Blips using app

Am I missing anything?
Quote Reply
Re: AXS wireless blips question [laseranimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another option if you're okay with bigger gear jumps is the PG-1231 11-44t 12 speed cassette, which will fit on an HG driver body. It requires an XPLR rear derailleur.
Quote Reply

Prev Next