Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Jungle Bob is heading to Bora!

Jagsamesh!

Great success?!

And now Cav to Bora! I hope he takes the Cannibal's record next year!
He shouldn't go to Bora if he wants to shoot for a TdF stage win. They'll be looking at GC at the TdF with Higuita and/or Hindley. If Bennett can return to form, Cavendish might not even be their fastest sprinter.

Another storyline to follow, though.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
He shouldn't go to Bora if he wants to shoot for a TdF stage win. They'll be looking at GC at the TdF with Higuita and/or Hindley. If Bennett can return to form, Cavendish might not even be their fastest sprinter.

And after the excitement of the GBR national road race, Cav really didn't look great in Poland without Quick Step's top leadout train. I'm not sure he's a great freelancer against good competition anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sad to say it but Sammy Ben had a terrible year and this youngster Mark van Cavendish is going to just attack off the front and mop up stages. ;)

In all seriousness, Sam did have a bad year and if he isn't a sure thing they will take Mark for a stage regardless of GC ambitions. Mark got that deal for one reason. TdF win(s) and all of the eyeballs he brings from a marketing standpoint.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Aug 10, 22 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luke "Lit" Lamperti at L'Avenir.

No longer off Broadway. It's showtime.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought he was some hack and that the Williams bros could eat the WT?

The Commonwealth Games shows the divide between continental teams and the real hitters. The United States represents on the WT, but with an entirely different type and level of talent i.e., Kuss, Sheffield, Powless, etc.. The TT and road race were a bit embarrassing for Legion (however it is spelled).

Lamperti fought some awfully hard races this year in Europe. His power, positioning and nose for the front show the level he is at and why he could win a nats title mostly without anyone working for him.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Aug 11, 22 17:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
The TT and road race were a bit embarrassing for Legion (however it is spelled).

Who among U.S. crit bangers has achieved international success at high levels? Not talking about U.S. stars that show up at a crit now and then, but crit regulars. No one recently I don't think. Some guys in the 80's? I believe Davis Phinney and Thurlow Rogers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember riding with that kid when he was 14. No surprise he’s on the steps of big show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
The TT and road race were a bit embarrassing for Legion (however it is spelled).

Who among U.S. crit bangers has achieved international success at high levels? Not talking about U.S. stars that show up at a crit now and then, but crit regulars. No one recently I don't think. Some guys in the 80's? I believe Davis Phinney and Thurlow Rogers?

Coryn is the only modern name that comes to mind. No one I can think of in the men's peloton. That said, I really know nothing about your crit scene, I was just shocked by how bad results were at the Commonwealth games for Williams.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Aug 12, 22 3:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/tyler-farrar

Helluva career. Best remembered for whining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Coryn is the only modern name that comes to mind. No one I can think of in the men's peloton. That said, I really know nothing about your crit scene, I was just shocked by how bad results were at the Commonwealth games for Williams.

Oh, I was confused by your last post, and thought you must be talking about the Williams' at the USPro TT/RR. I had forgotten about the dual citizenship.

Yeah, doesn't surprise me. Those guys are almost never on a TT bike, and they're not climbers. I've always thought the William' best shot at international success would be on the track, and I think Justin did one track nationals. But neither take the track seriously.

Even Sam Boardman, one of Legion's best TT/RR guys looked overmatched the year he did the Tour of California. There is a big gap.

Agreed on Coryn, and also now Megan Jastrab who recently finished second to Vos. But I didn't quite include them because they're no longer crit regulars. Americans seem to abandon the crit scene to become World Tour pros, at least since the "Cash Register" Phinney days. Which makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should have been more clear and mentioned I am discussing the Commonwealth Games participation. The TT result doesn't surprise me, but the fact that it was done at only a bit above 4 w/kg does. The road race here typically is a shitshow, but I think he was somewhere around 40th to 50th. He would have really needed to attach himself to another strong team somehow to have any shot.

So I'm familiar with the Phinney lineage though not the specifics about crits and have to ask; Was crit racing ever a popular thing here until recently? I guess I was under the impression that is something new. Davis was racing in 80s, correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Oh, I was confused by your last post, and thought you must be talking about the Williams' at the USPro TT/RR. I had forgotten about the dual citizenship.

Yeah, doesn't surprise me. Those guys are almost never on a TT bike, and they're not climbers. I've always thought the William' best shot at international success would be on the track, and I think Justin did one track nationals. But neither take the track seriously.

Even Sam Boardman, one of Legion's best TT/RR guys looked overmatched the year he did the Tour of California. There is a big gap.

Agreed on Coryn, and also now Megan Jastrab who recently finished second to Vos. But I didn't quite include them because they're no longer crit regulars. Americans seem to abandon the crit scene to become World Tour pros, at least since the "Cash Register" Phinney days. Which makes sense.

Jastrab was very impressive in that sprint. DSM rode well for her though she was boxed in a bit yet still had the power and composure to sprint in to second. What is she 20 or something?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One week out from the start of the Vuelta. Not the first time the Vuelta has opened with a TTT, but (without Google) I cant remember the last time there was a TTT in one of the GT's. TTT's seem a bit unfair to a GC hopeful who is on a "weak" team, but I do enjoy the spectacle.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish every Tour had an individual 40-100km ITT and a 100km TTT.

I'll settle for this little jaunt across Utrecht though. 23.3km pan flat course should be a cracker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I wish every Tour had an individual 40-100km ITT and a 100km TTT.

I'll settle for this little jaunt across Utrecht though. 23.3km pan flat course should be a cracker.

Thanks for the reminder. Wonder how much of the course is cobbled.

Utrecht is a wonderful town. We visited in December 2019, right before shit hit the fan. Ended up staying for only half a day but wish we could have spent more time there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

C’mon, that’s a tad harsh, especially as Farrar is now a firefighter fulltime. I don’t see most of the peloton being that committed to public service
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny I don’t have cable or any of the online sports packages except the itu triathlon one. I watch cycling news “live updates” to get text updates and then the post stage highlights. So I look at YT a lot. I came across a 1983 Tour recap, well actually it was following the Aussie rider Phil Anderson (9th that year). “23 Days in July”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=93Cb5tfD_PY

It had an 100km TTT and first and second finished 17s apart. Amazing. Funny enough Anderson had an French teammate who “attacked” him to take the jersey and of course it was “he attacked his leader”…..French media in the doc were all saying no foul, no foul. Lol Also one guy caught for doping received a penalty of……only losing 10 mins. My how times have changed.

One of the interesting things the “queen” stage back then seemed to have essentially one or 2 max HC climbs in it. What the Tour puts riders through these days in the mountains is crazy.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 13, 22 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taco still hanging on out there for a chance at the stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where??

I have mostly lost track who is doing what, when.

Mostly...

Just hanging around town, riding with locals for past few weeks. Today is the annual Hill Climb (I am working, frown). Nice nice kid.
Last edited by: WannaB: Aug 13, 22 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

C’mon, that’s a tad harsh, especially as Farrar is now a firefighter fulltime. I don’t see most of the peloton being that committed to public service

Allow me to clean this up: big fan here. (What I meant was that he was ripped online for an ill timed tantrum back in the day.) I defended him several times (maybe here) as I recall. Great career, baller ride at Roubaix, 4 or 5 GT stage wins and other good one day rides. And my son is a paramedic firefighter as well so, respect yo there too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
ill timed tantrum back in the day.

And to be fair, the list World Tour sprinters who've had ill-timed tantrums isn't a short list. You want to run to Costco for extra toner before printing out that list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is part and parcel for the course for sprinters (though I don't recollect the Farrar issue personally).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

And to be fair, the list World Tour sprinters who've had ill-timed tantrums isn't a short list. You want to run to Costco for extra toner before printing out that list.
No need to print the list. I'll start.

Tom Steels - Throwing his water bottle at Frederic Moncassin at the finish of Stage 6 in the 1997 TdF.

https://twitter.com/...print-relegations%2F

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

No need to print the list. I'll start.

Tom Steels - Throwing his water bottle at Frederic Moncassin at the finish of Stage 6 in the 1997 TdF.

https://twitter.com/...print-relegations%2F

And apparently no crash resulted from all that?

On the other hand, I'll see your singular measly water bottle and up you one

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul cracks me up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next