Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads
Quote | Reply
This appears to be a favorite trick of scammers. As you know, there is a waiting period in order to post. Scammers don't have that patience. They simply wait until you post a Want To Buy ad. There's no waiting period needed for them to answer you.

One good defense against scammers is to only buy from and sell to those who've been here for awhile, and have a history of posting.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll get the ball rolling.

User FFDZX, still with only 0 post as of now and registered on June 7, sent a PM about a part im looking for.

The very canned message follows a general format.

Quote:

I have the (ed. an item you are looking for) in a perfect condition, hit me up at johnlinton267@gmail.com for quick response if you're still interested in buying

Buyers beware
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I’ll get the ball rolling.

User FFDZX, still with only 0 post as of now and registered on June 7, sent a PM about a part im looking for.

The very canned message follows a general format.

Quote:

I have the (ed. an item you are looking for) in a perfect condition, hit me up at johnlinton267@gmail.com for quick response if you're still interested in buying

Buyers beware

Same user messaged me as well for disc wheel I was looking for. They found an old pic of one from 2019 posted on another forum...
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup me too. Same format. Felt fishy so asked what kind of riding they originally bought the wheels for and they went silent.

Chop Nutrition http://www.chopnutrition.com (UK only)
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [StanMcKenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JFRTZ sent same canned message to me earlier

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
JFRTZ sent same canned message to me earlier

SAME Here. Same user.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garagebos57 just tried to scam me on a shifter., be careful!
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [tweickelberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tweickelberg wrote:

Ugh. Wish I had read this sooner. Garagebos57 responded to my WTB post for a helmet, the back and forth seemed fine and they had some previous posts but shame on me for not being more suspicious. I sent $150 and they had a few messages but have now gone silent. Been about a week and I never got any tracking info and even emailed the PayPal account but no reply. Guessing I got scammed at this point. Can we get this person/IP banned?
Last edited by: Crentist: Jul 23, 22 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put Miller04 on the list too. These dummies just post what they think are obscure photos from a google image search, so just ask for some specific images/angles.
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [dan.g.cooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was about to post about this guy as well @Miller04

He ping me via mail using:Clifton Cali <caliclifton129@gmail.com>
He just sent me the first pic that shows up in a google search for the item I was looking for; in perfect condition, low price, no PayPal account and zero feedback,postst, etc.

Beware fellow buyers!
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [dan.g.cooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miller04 also tried to scam me with some Shimano shifters. Looked at their profile, saw they had registered on July 17th of this year and have zero posts.
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [tweickelberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tweickelberg wrote:

Tried to scam me back in March. Would be nice if these scammers could be banned.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Aug 4, 22 13:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tweickelberg wrote:

Garagebos57 is still up to his old tricks. Trying to scam me now on a frame. You can tell its a scam because his responses are odd and he is trying to sell me things I did not post in my WTB ad.
Last edited by: khanlon: Aug 13, 22 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got scammed by Garageboss57, wish I had seen sooner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beware of username "Ayah". They are also a brand new user up to no good.

Ayah
Aug 21, 22 15:17
I have the Bike Box Alan Easyfit Bike Box in a very good condition. If you're interested, kindly shoot me a mail via Oalkaj9@gmail.com for more details.

Best wishes.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. “Ayah” is trying to sell me a PRSix2 disc frame for $300. Too good to be true. Definitely a scammer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad I checked before paying this POS

USAC, Health and Nutrition Coach
http://www.echelonhealthcoaching.com
use code SLOWTWITCH for %15 off
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just go an Ayah PM as well. Glad I checked this thread!

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got me on a seat post also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add user Yayeeh to this. Trying to scam me right now

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yaheeh is trying me too.....wish there was a way to retaliate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would it be possible to put the same restrictions on private messages that there are for the Classified forum? A brand new, post-less account doesn't seem like it'd need private messaging capabilities in general.
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
Would it be possible to put the same restrictions on private messages that there are for the Classified forum? A brand new, post-less account doesn't seem like it'd need private messaging capabilities in general.

thanks for the note on this. let me noodle that. anybody who had pluses or minuses to this suggestion please post so that i can consider all sides to this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bite since I posted it :)

Pros
- Might raise the bar on scammers high enough that they move elsewhere (or at least generate enough weird post history that it's also apparent they're not legitimate)
- Doesn't seem like an actual issue, but would generally make comeback accounts for banned users less attractive

Cons
- Could keep people who are new from being able to buy posted items (that said, as a seller, I'd be a little more hesitant with any brand new account)
Quote Reply
Re: Beware of those who answer your Want To Buy ads [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New scammer out there. Username is ccelin. Tried to sell me a frame. Cant provide any details on it, and wants to try to only correspond via text.
Quote Reply

Prev Next