Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

(SOLVED! )Stuck Felt IA seatpost...
Quote | Reply
Hello

I've been searching for answer on the web for a week and Now I give up and came here to get some advice...

My Felt is 2020 IA disc advanced model and it came with a post which is really hard to adjust...

Last month I got my saddle swapped so I had to change the saddle height.. but it is completely stuck!

(the silicon cover is completely removed before. So there's no need to worry about that silicon noodle being stuck)

I did

1. spraying WD40

2. utilising thermal expansion (I heated seat tube with a hairdryer. This worked last time)

3. using my powerful quad and lateral dorsal muscles to pull it out

and nothing worked.

Does anybody have similar problem and any possible solutions?

UPDATE: I did it! 2022. 7. 26.

Thank you guys I finally made it. I was in hurry so I could no get PB thingy some users recommended but I implemented "the bottom up strategy".

1. I put off the wheels, crankset and R derailleur and flipped the bike upside down.

2. I opened the small port (this is for the access to the di2 battery) and squirted plenty of WD40 and I could see some liquid flowing through the minute space between the post and seat tube.

3. I removed my saddle and clamping appratus then I put a monkey spanner (covered with thick fabric to protect the post) into a hole for saddle clamps to use it as a "stepper"

4. I laid on the floor and held chain stays and down tube with my hands and put my feet on the spanner.

5. Pulling with my rigorously trained lats and Pushing with my THICC quad altogether and Voila! the post is now free.

6. Thank you all the twitchers who gave me priceless tips and wisdom. I do love you guys...

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter Ghimme: Jul 6, 22 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck Felt IA seatpost... [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...Work out your quads and lats more;)

Seriously though... I'm guessing that the seat post is stuck because of an excess of sweat build up. Try a penetrant, like PB Blaster, that is designed to break through rust and corrosion (and hopefully sweat). Worked for me to unstuck a carbon post from an aluminum frame. WD40 is not really in the same category of product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flip the bike upside down, stand on the saddle, and pull very hard. But carefully. Prob best if wheels are off.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck Felt IA seatpost... [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - in the UK at least we have a penetrating oil 'PlusGas' that works a lot better than WD40 - at least on rusty bolts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...57028575&sr=8-10

If necessary can you squirt any inside from the bottom too ? (Eg via a straw through any bolt or cable holes ? Or the aero box mount holes ? (Do the pass through?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wuh I did not know that. Thanks a lot, I will try that product.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck Felt IA seatpost... [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Flip the bike upside down, stand on the saddle, and pull very hard. But carefully. Prob best if wheels are off.

Sounds very reasonable and doable! thank you!!!

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck Felt IA seatpost... [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Yeah - in the UK at least we have a penetrating oil 'PlusGas' that works a lot better than WD40 - at least on rusty bolts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...57028575&sr=8-10

If necessary can you squirt any inside from the bottom too ? (Eg via a straw through any bolt or cable holes ? Or the aero box mount holes ? (Do the pass through?)

Oh I squirted the magical US patented oil for ICBM maintenance (AKA WD40) in to that hole but it seemed it's blocked. However, I will blast some from the bottom for there's maintenance door for front derailleur cable and Di2 battery.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peter Ghimme wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Sounds very reasonable and doable! thank you!!!

...and take the crank off. Jabbing yourself with a chainring is never pleasant (I know from plenty of experience)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For penetrating oil work, Aero Kroil is far superior to WD-40 or PB Blaster products you get at stores. I've used Aero Kroil on restoring old bike projects, old farm equipment, etc. It works. Not sure if you'd want it contacting carbon fiber though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is to take a rubber mallet and hammer the seat down to break the seatpost free.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I removed it and safely pulled the post out. Thanks a lot.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you!!

I have IA and I can't remove hex bolts on the bento box. I want to replace old bento box, but bolts are rusted and like welded on. I was able to most of them except two. It's very frustrating.
Quote Reply