Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trek SC 2022 Front Hydration Options [onder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I think I found a good solution for the front between arms hydration. I bought one of the Profile Design HC800 front hydration system. The bottle cage is attached to a piece which you can attach to your handlebars. I placed this piece upside down, between arm pads, such that the sharp tip goes towards front. I used one of the screws of this base piece (front one) and use the screw where you would normally attach the bike computer on to the metal bar between arms on the handle bar. So using one screw for the hydration base and one for the metal bar, hence the bottle cage holder not only sturdy in place on the handle bar, also base piece secured with arms pad bases.

Let me know if anyone is interested in this solution. Attaching some pictures. Open to feedback.
Last edited by: onder: May 25, 22 21:47
Quote Reply
Re: Power meters [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I'm still sorting out options but it looks like I can get a DFour with new rings, arms, and BB for a reasonable price from Quarq so I might be going that route as the easiest.
Quote Reply
Re: Gen2 base bar and stem [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
I bought a newer used Gen2 so I'm guessing it's BB90 but haven't pulled the crank yet to measure. I thought my Gen1 SC9 was BB90 as well? Regardless, I should be able to swap over my Quarq with Rotor cranks but may need to change the bearings depending on whether the width matches up, right? The Gen2 currently has an Ultegra crank on it.

Also - thanks for the suggestion to check with Cyclologic on the mono-plug adapter - they had one in stock and it's on the way to me now.

Mitch@Trek wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:
Are Gen1 and Gen 2 the same bottom bracket standard? I should be able to directly swap my Quarq over?

They were both BB86 press fit to start, but then the Gen2 started using BB90 in its later years.

You should be able to move it over, worse case with a new bearing set (which never hurts to freshen up anyways).

Glad you were able to get the extension from them!

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Gen2 base bar and stem [JPFischer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JPFischer wrote:
Hi!

Desperately looking for info about the SC Gen2 stems. Could anyone tell me the height of a low-near stem? All I've found is the length and angles of these stems...
I'm trying to see if I could get a better fit with a lower stem and higher mono-riser.

Thanks!

The drawing shows 26.6mm for the height of the low-near stem. This is taken at the front only - where the base bar attaches to the bottom of the stem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like that solution Onder. Looks almost like the trek piece. And solves the computer mount issue.

Another hydration question I have. Has anyone tested a standard bottle cage on the seat tube to see what kind of aero penalty if any exists? I have an IM coming up soon and want to be able to use on course bottles if possible. Thanks!
Last edited by: TheFever: May 26, 22 17:59
Quote Reply
Re: Gen2 base bar and stem [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome ! That's exactly what I needed.

Thank you very much !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch - any update on the ETA for the BTA bottle on the new SC? I have one ordered through my LBS and I checked with them yesterday but they weren't able to figure out when it will arrive looking through their system.

Also, do you have an ETA on the BTA cage bracket (W5284485)?

Thanks

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Power meters [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MXGimp wrote:
I’ve got an extra gxp side bearing 22mm if you need it for bb90. It’s a ceramicspeed I pulled from my road bike to switch over to full shimano

Just grabbed a used Quarq DZero GXP from eBay. So with Ultegra cranks currently on the bike, all I should need is to swap out the one side with this GXP bearing and the Quarq should drop right in?
Quote Reply
Re: Power meters [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is correct
Quote Reply
mono spacer [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a 15mm mono spacer they don't need (W3265000)?
Quote Reply
Re: Gen2 base bar and stem [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know production got kicked back on these for some reason at manufacturing, but they are shipping July!

The BTA bracket is shipping early June - first batch next week!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend Matt fabricated some killer bottle mounts with 1/8" thick carbon that mounts prefect and lots adjustability. I'm pretty sure he has something posted in the classifieds for anyone who wants to order one. they look great and you just mount your own bottle carrier which is what I prefer over a fixed mounted system.

TonyCapp
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 wheelset questions [sbear55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sbear55 wrote:
PM'd Mitch but I'll take any advice I can get.

I picked up a really really nice 2017 Speed Concept 7.5 for my kid. Couldn't watch him do sprints on his Salsa Journeyman anymore. I got a screaming good deal. Starting to get everything dialed for a season of races.

The Trek has the stock alloy wheelset and being that it's tax season I am considering a wheel upgrade for him contingent upon continued classroom success and hard work in athletics. Maybe it's not the smartest money to spend but man would it be proper.

I've used lightbicycle in the past with great success on my mountain bikes and was looking at a 65/88 wheelset for the speed concept.

Rear rim is 26.5 external/18.8 internal and front is 25.5 external / 18.5 internal. I'd be running 25mm GP 5000's with tubes.

Are those rim/tire dimensions a good fit for the 2017? I certainly don't want to start shopping without confirming fit.

Turns out the service manual makes wider rims really easy. Just swap a couple washers around and 26.5 is a great fit.

Before and after photo. Huge aesthetic improvement…..speed, we shall see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch I have a bit of a strange question -
While I have a kikr, I won’t lie, as odd as it sounds I actually prefer my wheel on fluid trainer. It may sound backwards but I really like my kurt kinetic road machine.
As a result I need an axle adaptor and they have 4 options here https://www.kurtkinetic.com/thru-axles
. My trek is one month away and Kurt isn’t helpful at all and has said just wait till I get the bike. I was wondering if you or anyone else would know what adaptor I need for the new speed concept ? Thanks 🙏
Quote Reply
Re: Gen2 base bar and stem [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It uses the exact same axles as a Madone slr….so you can look it up from that. Appears when you select Trek on the site that it will be correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Gen2 base bar and stem [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers for that - I wasn’t sure by selecting trek it meant one of their mountain bikes or whatnot. Thanks again !
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom bracket bearing drag [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Building up a new to me Gen2 and having an issue with the crank install. The bike came with a Shimano Ultegra crank and I'm replacing with a Quarq GXP. I got a replacement non-drive side bearing and pressed it in no problem. The issue is that I can't seem to tighten the crank arm down enough to remove all of the side to side spindle play without creating some drag. I'm pretty sure it's not the actual bearings but something with the dust caps on one or both sides. It's not enough to be a major concern right now but it's definitely not right. Any suggestions? Am I supposed to maybe have a spacer on the drive side?
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom bracket bearing drag [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Bottom bracket bearing drag [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! So I need a spacer or wave washer on the drive side.

Although, now that I'm thinking about it - the drive side is still the original Trek bearing with the plastic bearing spacer/seal. So I made a mistake by keeping the dust cap that came on the crank spindle. My bad but thanks for making me think it through.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Jun 13, 22 8:53
Quote Reply
Split cable housings [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed that the service manual for the Gen2 has you run split sections of cable housing through the frame and through the bars and then use a double ferrule to connect them in the stem. Is this simply to make it easier by not having the bars essentially tethered to the frame with housing? So you can pull the actual cable out and remove the entire bar assembly if necessary without removing any housing? I'll be running eTap so just a single cable for the rear brake through the frame. Any other reason NOT to run a single section of housing?
Quote Reply
Re: Split cable housings [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
I noticed that the service manual for the Gen2 has you run split sections of cable housing through the frame and through the bars and then use a double ferrule to connect them in the stem. Is this simply to make it easier by not having the bars essentially tethered to the frame with housing? So you can pull the actual cable out and remove the entire bar assembly if necessary without removing any housing? I'll be running eTap so just a single cable for the rear brake through the frame. Any other reason NOT to run a single section of housing?

That is correct! This allows the bike to be easier to disassemble when traveling, otherwise you couldn't move the cockpit out of the way when putting the bike into a travel case.

Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Speed Concept Fit Question - Can I fit on a medium? [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch,

Can you please help with my 2022 SC fit conundrum ?

My LBS is getting an SLR frameset in Large early August and they have reserved it for me and will build it up to my spec. They believe it will fit based on my basic dimensions (I am 188cm tall) however my friendly Retul bike fitter isn't so sure as he hasn't had a lot of experience with the 2022 SC yet but found the last gen SC came up a bit small.

I ride a 60cm Emonda SLR on the road and my tri bike is currently a 58cm P5.

The pad stack on the P5 is 700mm and the pad reach is 450mm. The BB to saddle rails is 770mm and 820mm to the top of the saddle centre if that helps.

Looking at the fit data spreadsheet from an earlier post (Trek Speed Concept 2022 Fit Data - Google Sheets) it looks to me like a mid topper and a mid rise base bar on the large should just about fit.

It also looks like the long seat mast will give me the saddle height.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by: GrahamMackie7: Jun 19, 22 9:31
Quote Reply
Aerobar p-bracket [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone happen to have a spare set of the p-brackets from a Gen1? Or, is there a part number to order them seperately?
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Speed Concept Fit Question - Can I fit on a medium? [GrahamMackie7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrahamMackie7 wrote:
Hi Mitch,

Can you please help with my 2022 SC fit conundrum ?

My LBS is getting an SLR frameset in Large early August and they have reserved it for me and will build it up to my spec. They believe it will fit based on my basic dimensions (I am 188cm tall) however my friendly Retul bike fitter isn't so sure as he hasn't had a lot of experience with the 2022 SC yet but found the last gen SC came up a bit small.

I ride a 60cm Emonda SLR on the road and my tri bike is currently a 58cm P5.

The pad stack on the P5 is 700mm and the pad reach is 450mm. The BB to saddle rails is 770mm and 820mm to the top of the saddle centre if that helps.

Looking at the fit data spreadsheet from an earlier post (Trek Speed Concept 2022 Fit Data - Google Sheets) it looks to me like a mid topper and a mid rise base bar on the large should just about fit.

It also looks like the long seat mast will give me the saddle height.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hello! With a stack and reach like that, a large 2022 Speed Concept can fit, though an XL would let you sit in the middle of the adjustment range better. The large frame has you set at the end of the reach capabilities. For example, this is how I'd build your bike:
  • Mid tower topper
  • High rise base bar
  • 60mm tower base
  • 10mm adjustment spacer
  • Long seatpost

This would line up the reach, but your stack is pretty close to the end as long as you don't need to exceed a reach measurement of 714mm, this setup would be on point for your needs!

Quote Reply
Re: eTap Blip Box mounting [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gen2 owners running eTap - where and how do you have your Blip Box mounted? Bonus points if you happen to be running the low/far stem and mono-plug - there is limited real estate on the stem cover.
Quote Reply

Prev Next