Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
Beautiful facility. It would be a pleasure to workout daily in that gym. Not sure I’m buying the “I only breath to one side” theory. I do agree however with the biomechanic foot strike placement theory.

Ya, I find that kind of hard to believe myself. If this were really an issue, then lots of swimmers turned triathletes would have her same issue but AFAIK that is not the case per se. The whole reason I even bothered watching this video was b/c I wanted to see if they were actually talking about swimming breathing affecting running, which seems like a really big stretch IMO. :)

It’s interesting as I pretty much had the same injury as her a few years ago. I swam in college and typically breathe to one side. Occasionally I breathe to the other but it’s probably an 80/20 or 70/30 split. I don’t think this caused my injury but it definitely affects my run form and muscle activation. I’ve always felt my one side is asymmetric while running and it’s something I am constantly thinking about during my runs.

Did your injury occur on the same side that you breathe on or on the other side??? And which side do you breath on???

I think the point of breathing one side only is it is a red flag to asymmetry. Why would you breath to one side if you had proper body symmetry and balance. Every one side breather I have watched and/or worked with does not complete the needed rotation which allows breathing to both sides. So it is not about breathing to one size causing the body imbalance, it is about breathing to one side demonstrating an imbalance that could result in numerous kinetic chain problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bryan! wrote:
Beautiful facility. It would be a pleasure to workout daily in that gym. Not sure I’m buying the “I only breath to one side” theory. I do agree however with the biomechanic foot strike placement theory.

Ya, I find that kind of hard to believe myself. If this were really an issue, then lots of swimmers turned triathletes would have her same issue but AFAIK that is not the case per se. The whole reason I even bothered watching this video was b/c I wanted to see if they were actually talking about swimming breathing affecting running, which seems like a really big stretch IMO. :)

It’s interesting as I pretty much had the same injury as her a few years ago. I swam in college and typically breathe to one side. Occasionally I breathe to the other but it’s probably an 80/20 or 70/30 split. I don’t think this caused my injury but it definitely affects my run form and muscle activation. I’ve always felt my one side is asymmetric while running and it’s something I am constantly thinking about during my runs.

Did your injury occur on the same side that you breathe on or on the other side??? And which side do you breath on???

I breathe to the left primarily and my stress fracture was in my right hip/femur. I had a minor bike crash and landed on my right hip. I was in the middle of IM training and continued to train and about a week or so later, I started feeling something in my hip. So that was obviously the cause of my stress fracture but the conversation around breathing to one side and asymmetry got me thinking more about little niggles I always tend to get particularly on my right side. My right side feels somewhat disconnected when I run and sometimes when I bike. I tend to over stride when fatigued and I'm not always using the correct muscle groups while running or biking. I don't think swimming or breathing to one side is the root of the issue but I think they are somewhat related. I've started to really focus on my catch in the water and ensure I'm not slipping or using one side more than the other. Essentially, I'm trying to be more symmetrical in the water but I'm still primarily breathing to the left side.... I'm just not "loping" or having any hand slippage.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bryan! wrote:

I think the point of breathing one side only is it is a red flag to asymmetry. Why would you breath to one side if you had proper body symmetry and balance. Every one side breather I have watched and/or worked with does not complete the needed rotation which allows breathing to both sides. So it is not about breathing to one size causing the body imbalance, it is about breathing to one side demonstrating an imbalance that could result in numerous kinetic chain problems.

Well, I haven't done a detailed study but the vast majority of the top swimmers breath to one side; from Phelps and Ledecky on down to top local swimmers, I'd guess at least 80 % are one side breathers.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bryan! wrote:

Well, I haven't done a detailed study but the vast majority of the top swimmers breath to one side; from Phelps and Ledecky on down to top local swimmers, I'd guess at least 80 % are one side breathers.

Exactly ^^^^^ This is beyond reason. Too much Red Bull.....

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bryan! wrote:

I breathe to the left primarily and my stress fracture was in my right hip/femur. I had a minor bike crash and landed on my right hip. I was in the middle of IM training and continued to train and about a week or so later, I started feeling something in my hip. So that was obviously the cause of my stress fracture but the conversation around breathing to one side and asymmetry got me thinking more about little niggles I always tend to get particularly on my right side. My right side feels somewhat disconnected when I run and sometimes when I bike. I tend to over stride when fatigued and I'm not always using the correct muscle groups while running or biking. I don't think swimming or breathing to one side is the root of the issue but I think they are somewhat related. I've started to really focus on my catch in the water and ensure I'm not slipping or using one side more than the other. Essentially, I'm trying to be more symmetrical in the water but I'm still primarily breathing to the left side.... I'm just not "loping" or having any hand slippage.

Hmmm, interesting info. I too swam at the D3 level but I also played tennis as well so I was always doing a good bit of running every year. I never was good enough at either sport to just focus on one. I also breath on my left side most of the time but I've never felt "disconnected" on my right side per se. Aside from one summer of plantar fasciitis, I haven't had any running injuries per se but rather just injuries from various bike crashes. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bryan! wrote:

Is that for racing or for all swimming they do? Probably not a big deal if you breath to one side for race scenarios. A bigger deal if you breath to one side for thousands of k of training.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bryan! wrote:

ST is following the bouncy ball here. The "breathing to one side" comment was the smallest portion of the video (and LCB acknowledged that). The majority of the video talked about stabilizing running muscles and the inward rolling of her ankle.

Still, because I can't help myself, I will point out that Phelps and Ledecky aren't putting hundreds of running miles on their body so they're probably not the best comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [JFHJR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, you don't remember Phelps and Ledecky winning all those medals on the track too?
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
Wait, you don't remember Phelps and Ledecky winning all those medals on the track too?

Yeah, I think I missed those races. However, I'm also sure (and saddened) that they can probably both run faster than me, too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
ST is following the bouncy ball here. The "breathing to one side" comment was the smallest portion of the video (and LCB acknowledged that). The majority of the video talked about stabilizing running muscles and the inward rolling of her ankle.

Still, because I can't help myself, I will point out that Phelps and Ledecky aren't putting hundreds of running miles on their body so they're probably not the best comparison.

Agree ref small (I'd say tentative) possible partial cause, and I think I said that on Page 1 of this thread.
I don't know whether Phelps and Ledecky enjoyed a reasonably varied sporting curriculum in their teens: if they did then maybe that would mitigate the risk of a swimming 'monoculture' that some young athletes are forced or guided into (until they 'win' or quit. It may be that without that lazer focus all through their teens they'd not have turned out so supremely dominant.
The problem ahead is that once 'one' has had a stress fracture, a recurrence is more likely. So LCB (and others in the same boat) will need to make judgements about whether to run hard and fast on asphalt (eg for standard or sprint distances) and whether to carry on trying to train for full distance (ie marathons) in the future. I'd like to see her back to her best in the autumn, in time for maybe the PTO Tour race in Dallas and then to retain her 70.3 world champs title.

Very little said about any dietary changes or particular dietary aspects which might maximise her recovery and rehabilitation. Maybe the satisfactory blood, vitamin levels, bone density and other tests means that that has been considered and has been discarded as an actual contributory cause.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jun 6, 22 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bryan! wrote:

Is that for racing or for all swimming they do? Probably not a big deal if you breath to one side for race scenarios. A bigger deal if you breath to one side for thousands of k of training.

They train as they race, so yes, one-sided for literally tens of millions of yards/meters.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFHJR wrote:
playguy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Bryan! wrote:

True Phelps and Ledecky don't run very much but note I said "from Phelps and Ledecky down to top local swimmers" so I'm covering literally 10s of 1000s of swimmers, a sig portion of whom will give triathlon a try at some point.

Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
Well said.
Another good video on rehab exs, bit of 'head stuff' and a bit of nuitrition. Again Salzburg looks top drawer.

Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jun 8, 22 1:40
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
oprfcc wrote:
Well said.
Another good video on rehab exs, bit of 'head stuff' and a bit of nuitrition. Again Salzburg looks top drawer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFk0IyVTrA

And no mention of the breathing to one side. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the video was great. I’m rehabbing the same injury now. I shared it with my PT and we are now adding in lots of ankle exercises.

-----------------------------------
team website: http://snappletriteam.com/

team blog: http://snappletriteam.com/?page_id=10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off topic, but is it ever not time to remember David Foster Wallace? On tennis players:

"With few exceptions, all the [pro tour tennis] players have similar builds–big muscular legs, shallow chests, skinny necks, and one normal-size arm and one monstrously huge and hypertrophic arm."

See https://www.esquire.com/...avid-foster-wallace/.

:-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next