Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Dad Update
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I have to admit that I was a little freaked out when I posted the other day. Two weeks without sleep does strange things to you. I've actually gotten more sleep the last two nights, as well as a swim and a run and I feel somewhat normal today. I've also eaten better and I think that helped too. Tonight I'm hitting the pool for another swim on the way home and then I'm going to "babysit" my son while I ride on the trainer for 30-45 minutes. I've realized that if I miss the Ironman this year it wont be the end of the world. I know I can train enough to do a couple of sprint races if I want.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Update [Jerry in PA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jerry, It's nice to hear things seem a little better. You strike me as a capable, thoughtful guy so I think you will surprise yourself as a father and an athlete. I've never had children but I can picture it must be very, very challenging. I envy what you have though. I've lost my girlfriend probably having a lot to do with my focus on things. Of course, in retrospect, I realize how much I loved her and how important she was to me. You are wiser than that, and as a result, more fortunate. I'm a slow learner. You, my friend, are in the advanced class. Good luck and continued happiness to you.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jerry, it sounds like you've made a good decision. There will be lots of other IM's. I know what you're going thru. Being a first time dad is a little dumbfounding especially during the first few months when all they do is suckle, sleep, poop and cry. Enjoy them when they're young because before you can blink an eye they'll be (ugghhh) teenagers!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jerry, congrats on the new dad thing. I'm a year into my fourth. Here's a hint on maintaining training while maintaining the more important stuff like wife and son...

Train early even on the weekends before the family rises, go to bed early every night to facilitate the early training even if it means missing the news or your favorite sitcom (wife and I hit the sack 8:30 most nights), make sure you're at least taking your 50% of kid-watch while you're home, and take your wife on a fancy date once a week. The last one is critical. It keeps you two connected, gets you away from the child, and allows her to allow you the time you need to train. The $$ and time invested there will pay big dividends when you want to go for those 3-4 hour rides on the weekend when you've been gone all week.

It works for me. Just my $.02.

You're right, though. IM is probably too much investment in the first year as new parents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jerry, I read with interst as I'm having (or my wife is having) our first child in JUne. Curious as how all my training stuff will fit in, if at all. Done 7 IM's, one or 2 a year the last few years, not planning on one this year though, going to try to get all the racing out of my system before JUne, then we'll see. Good luck and keep everyone posted.

Would love to hear some secret training tips from some new parents out there.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Update [schumacher 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey jerry. i knew with my keen nursing virtual eye that you were just talking from lack of sleep. :) i will stand by my previous notation that you could ride minimally and roll around the MOO course in 6 hrs from your sandbagging roadie career. :) :) throw a 90 min beginner's swim in there, and a steady 4.5 hr run/walk and presto, you are a 12 hour ironman. since you said 12-14 hr you have plenty of time to kiss the baby up at the capitol square every time you go past. the wife will love madison in sept, and can stroll around and watch at the best spectator swim IM ever - take a nap - and catch you like 8 - 10 times on the run while she has coffee.

just kiddin, bud. do what you need to do. i have faith in ya either way. tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not babysitting when it is your own child .... the term is "parenting". I used to ride all the time on the trainer with my little ones next to me as I was "parenting". In fact, as they got older (12-18 month range), I'd sit them in the high chair next to the rollers and the sound put them to sleep within minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Update [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
and take your wife on a fancy date once a week. The last one is critical. It keeps you two connected, gets you away from the child, and allows her to allow you the time you need to train. The $$ and time invested there will pay big dividends when you want to go for those 3-4 hour rides on the weekend when you've been gone all week.
Great advice! My wife and I have had a pertetual Saturday night date ever since our 1 st child was born. Best thing we do! I wine her, dine her, romance her, treat her like a lady, and rekindle our relationship every Saturday night. Of course, like TriBriGuy, we go to bed very early, so babysitters love us!

Good luck, and keep us updated!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jan 24, 03 4:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am going through the same issues as you are Jerry. We had our first child November 27th 2002. It has been the most challenging yet rewarding thing in my life. I put all training on hold for the first two weeks of my daughters life but then slowly worked my way back into some sort of a training schedule. I will not be attempting any IM this year but have one planned for 2004. This year I will have to stick to 2 half IM's which will fill the bill along with some shorter local races.

I agree with the other people who responded in that get up early to get the training in. It has been the best thing for me thus far. And since I live in MI most of my training has been done indoors on my treadmill and trainer. This will have to do. I do have a buddy however that did complete an IM while having a child in the same year and he did very well. You just have to find a balance between training time, family time and work.

Good Luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kids are now getting to the age of self sufficiency which is nice. I do remember those early days though . . . the most important advice I can give you is to keep a schedule with sleep and feeding. After playing the new parent with the first child (up all the time on his schedule), we learned what not to do and with the second child were able to have him sleeping through the night after a few months. This is crucial as with better rest you can utilize your more limited time by training harder instead of plodding through workouts because you were up all night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jerry, Congrats, you are embarking on one of the most challenging yet rewarding races out there. I have two beautiful girls, 2 years 9 months and 9 months. Never lose focus of what is important, your family. Also do not forget to take time for your self, as well as your marriage.

I practice a lot of what TRIGUY has suggested. There was post about a month ago I believe Called "Does anyone have a job?. There were lots of responses regarding getting your training in as well as maintaining your family life.

Go to bed early (when possible / feedings and diapers), Train early. Make your training invisible to your family. I have read it takes 2 weeks to form a habit, I firmly believe that is true. Stick with the the early AM routine it works. Unfortunatly working out in the AM usually means doing most of your training indoors. I bought a Computrainer and I heavily depend on it, its great. I do get a little bit of cabin fever from time to time.

Good luck and with those long nights, it will get better.
Quote Reply