Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oh My Slipping Glasses
Quote | Reply
I have had glasses for the last few years, and slippage have always been a problem. This is annoying but acceptable while not working out, but when running the issue becomes quite unreasonable. I have had the fit adjusted several times without solving the issue.

I've been eyeing the Roka prescription glasses range, but as I am in Sweden, availability is an issue. Is there any other brand that does good looking lifestyle glasses (note that I am not looking for sunglasses) but with features to keep them in place while being active?

I have seen croakies as a recommendation here, but as I wish to have something that I can use the whole day without any fuss, this seems like an unpractical solution.

Contacts is an option, but I have never tried that and would prefer glasses.
Quote Reply
Re: Oh My Slipping Glasses [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’ve never tried contacts, give them a go, life changing for sport!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a. Give contacts a try if you haven't
b. Roka glasses are worth the hassle, they are excellent and don't slip. I'm also in Europe, last time I needed a pair I had a friend from the US order them on my behalf and ship them over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not a thing that one brand will solver over another. It is just a matter of choosing the right frame that fits you. I have a nice pair of daily wear glasses that will slide down my nose with any vigorous activity. I bought a crazy cheap pair of plastic frame Zenni Optical glasses that I use for running. They are fantastic, light, and stay put doing about anything. I bought a cool pair of Oakley cycling glasses that they made prescription. Those generally stay in place, but not as well as my cheap Zennis.

I do not wear contacts anymore because they irritate my eyes.

In a race I will wear a pair of prescription goggles for the swim and then wear the Oakley prescription glasses for the bike and run. For training runs I wear my Zenni glasses. For training rides I wear the Oakleys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a backwards hat when running outdoors or a headband indoors to fix this problem.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silicone ear hooks work well and are more discrete than croakies
Quote Reply
Re: Oh My Slipping Glasses [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies.

My unwillingness to try contacts comes from a wholly irrational fear of putting stuff into my eyes. But I do see the appeal, so maybe I just ned to get over it and try.

The pairs of glasses that I have had so far have all felt secure enough in the store, the issue is when I start to sweat and all friction is lost. What can I do in order to make a better purchase next time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
My unwillingness to try contacts comes from a wholly irrational fear of putting stuff into my eyes. But I do see the appeal, so maybe I just ned to get over it and try.

I was the same. I made myself try for my first ski season and I almost passed out when the optician put them in 😂 - but after a bit a practice it was fine and I’m still using them 20 years later!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I could offer a sure fire solution. I am wearing my regular glasses now, and if I shake my head around, they stay in place. Yet I know that they will slide when I run. These are a little heavier because they are light metal frames and the lenses are slightly larger (but not large by most measures).

If you have anything similar to a deep discount online glasses company like Zenni Optical in Sweden, I would recommend experimenting with glasses through them. You can get a good pair of glasses for well under $50 USD, so fit risk is very small.

IME, the key is getting the glasses as light as possible. So, my running glasses are simple plastic frames, and I spent extra to get a higher refractive index. The higher the refractive index, the thinner and lighter the lenses. And of course, smaller lenses are lighter too - there is an exponential relationship between size and weight, since the lenses get much thicker at the edges as the overall sizes increase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word, Oakleys. Ive had zero problem with slippage.
I have this model for sport.
Oakley CROSSLINK ZERO OX8076 | Eyeglasses: EZContacts.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, Oakley or Roka. The key is you need something grippy for the nose piece and ear stems. Standard plastic or acetate will slide when wet.

Rokas are pretty much all grippy (that's their main selling point). The some of the Oakley glasses are specifically made for non-athletic use and some are designed for active lifestyles. Make sure the nose piece and ear stems use the grippy compound (Oakley calls theirs "Unobtanium").

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plasti Dip on the nosepiece and earpieces can help.

The original Croakies will work, a bit bulky around the ears though. I like the Croakies Terra Spec better - easy to fit on any glasses, secure and quite comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
I have had glasses for the last few years, and slippage have always been a problem. This is annoying but acceptable while not working out, but when running the issue becomes quite unreasonable. I have had the fit adjusted several times without solving the issue.

I've been eyeing the Roka prescription glasses range, but as I am in Sweden, availability is an issue. Is there any other brand that does good looking lifestyle glasses (note that I am not looking for sunglasses) but with features to keep them in place while being active?

I have seen croakies as a recommendation here, but as I wish to have something that I can use the whole day without any fuss, this seems like an unpractical solution.

Contacts is an option, but I have never tried that and would prefer glasses.

I have a pair of Nike prescription glasses and a pair of Rokas. Both are transition lens with non slip and both work excellent. I use both for everyday including work and training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget contacts and glasses. Get LASIK.
I've saved more money on contacts and prescription glasses than the cost of the surgery already.
7 years later and I'm still 20/20.
Getting old though... probably going to need readers soon.

If you must, I wear Smith Pinpoint for running and they're pretty decent. I image the Rx version is the same.
https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/c/prescription/

Last edited by: NordicSkier: May 16, 22 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Oh My Slipping Glasses [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Forget contacts and glasses. Get LASIK.
I've saved more money on contacts and prescription glasses than the cost of the surgery already.
7 years later and I'm still 20/20.
Getting old though... probably going to need readers soon.

If you must, I wear Smith Pinpoint for running and they're pretty decent. I image the Rx version is the same.
https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/c/prescription/

Laser surgery is not suitable for all ages and prescriptions. Also not a chance anyone is clamping my eyeball 😱😱
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Croakies - If they're good enough for Milo, they're good enough for me

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply