Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
Absolutely sucks.

She'll be back for the 2nd half of the season

A hip fracture is no joke no matter how small. I would be surprised if she is back this season at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Atrial Fibrillation Is what eliminated Richard Murray from Tokyo. Less than a year after his diagnosis he’s good to go, and back racing. Hopefully Reece’s will be treatable as well.

Never heard of the other thing.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
Like I said; in my opinion the two current reasons they wouldn’t talk about heart issues are because of the usual medical reasons but also because every heart case now in sport draws conversations on vaccine side effects.

No conspiracies, just some speculation why he’d keep it quiet based on why I would.

I don't consume much "news". So take this with a grain of salt.
I assumed he thought they got covid, and his (Reece's) Heart stuff was a form of long covid. Which is significantly more likely than Heart issues from Vaccines.

Whatever it is, I hope they both recover quickly and are able to be themselves again.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. We will see how she recovers!

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:
Like I said; in my opinion the two current reasons they wouldn’t talk about heart issues are because of the usual medical reasons but also because every heart case now in sport draws conversations on vaccine side effects.

No conspiracies, just some speculation why he’d keep it quiet based on why I would.

I don't consume much "news". So take this with a grain of salt.
I assumed he thought they got covid, and his (Reece's) Heart stuff was a form of long covid. Which is significantly more likely than Heart issues from Vaccines.

Whatever it is, I hope they both recover quickly and are able to be themselves again.

Makes much more sense than a reaction to the vaccine. It's actually plausible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the same thing. I wonder if her diet played a part? I don't think she eats dairy which is a pretty big source of calcium. For women this can be a big deal in terms of osteoporosis.

In addition, I watched some of her videos and thought she was really under fueling on the bike. They were eating tiny homeade energy bites. It's not like a pizza needs to be consumed, but it just seemed like they were picking at food rather than enjoying it in her video of what they eat in a day. Not trying to be critical, just an observation.

Maybe she was getting enough calories, but not all calories are created equal. Hard to say if she was getting the right balance of macros for the training load and recovery. A lot of factors could come into play. Hopefully she heals quick and they figure out how to remedy this issue going forward. Definitely don't want any future stress fractures.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Vegan Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vegan Tri wrote:
I thought the same thing. I wonder if her diet played a part? I don't think she eats dairy which is a pretty big source of calcium. For women this can be a big deal in terms of osteoporosis.

In addition, I watched some of her videos and thought she was really under fueling on the bike. They were eating tiny homeade energy bites. It's not like a pizza needs to be consumed, but it just seemed like they were picking at food rather than enjoying it in her video of what they eat in a day. Not trying to be critical, just an observation.

Maybe she was getting enough calories, but not all calories are created equal. Hard to say if she was getting the right balance of macros for the training load and recovery. A lot of factors could come into play. Hopefully she heals quick and they figure out how to remedy this issue going forward. Definitely don't want any future stress fractures.

i have a feeling it is this too. she did some gut test, then soon after removed dairy from her diet and she did enjoy pizza before... dont remember what other things she probably removed, but likely made it harder for her to find enough nutrition
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would think annual blood work would yield results of calcium levels. I keep a close eye on all my vitals every year. With athletes walking around with glucometers on their arms and lactate threshold meters hanging from their ear lobes, would this really go undetected?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vegan Tri wrote:
You would think annual blood work would yield results of calcium levels. I keep a close eye on all my vitals every year. With athletes walking around with glucometers on their arms and lactate threshold meters hanging from their ear lobes, would this really go undetected?

what fad item they sell to the rich AG people is only seen on their social-media gram do we know they use it to the full extent - or did they forget what previous tool they were using for monitoring this stuff because they are over focused on some new fad?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It says in the video her bone density is good, so it seems osteoporosis is not a factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
It says in the video her bone density is good, so it seems osteoporosis is not a factor.

Overtraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cardiac issues from covid>>>>>>vaccine.

I’ve seen both in those in their late teens to 20s.

Vaccine related resolved relatively quick (few weeks) and back to baseline activity. Medical workup, once resolved, are back to normal.

COVID related, some with on going/lingering symptoms. Most with inconclusive, unusual, etc. workup from cardiology. There are interesting papers on this, I’ll defer further to dtoce. One I was asked to review is a pro athlete (friend of a friend, so not an official visit).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vegan Tri wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:

Overtraining
Does the 'bone density is ok' assessment mean that identified diet intolerances (and all the food groups therefore avoided) are unlikely to be a factor, then? I earnestly hope she recovers well from what seems a very serious boney injury (same hip as before?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4dX7zxYFqQ
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Vegan Tri wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:

Overtraining
Does the 'bone density is ok' assessment mean that identified diet intolerances (and all the food groups therefore avoided) are unlikely to be a factor, then? I earnestly hope she recovers well from what seems a very serious boney injury (same hip as before?)

I have no idea, I was half watching the vlog and only remember snippets. Haven’t done any in depth follow up.

From memory she only mentioned recovery shouldn’t be a major issue because of the e bone density, nothing on causation.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Vegan Tri wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:

Overtraining

I'd say bone density being okay doesn't mean nutrition imbalance would be written off as a contributor. Proper nutrition is still important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read in one article that she has an edema on the femoral head. That's the ball that goes into the hip socket that moves and torques all the time. That seems problematic for a fast recovery but best wishes to her. I assume she will come out of this with even better swim fitness.

On that note I wonder how much having the massive engine of a water based athlete transitioning to land factored in. Because of her engine she can sustain a pretty high pace on land (particularly running) all the time and here 5-7 short years on land with pro volumes may not be what here body has adapted to. It would be different if she grew up playing soccer or tennis and swimming but from what I know she was mainly a swimmer only and not really doing much in land sports. So all of this maybe new . Also note that she started doing a lot more shorter races (super league, ITU) requiring more intensity than her previous long course years. She has the engine to support it but maybe the wheels did not have enough time to adapt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Vegan Tri wrote:

i have a feeling it is this too. she did some gut test, then soon after removed dairy from her diet and she did enjoy pizza before... dont remember what other things she probably removed, but likely made it harder for her to find enough nutrition

Jan also vegan also hip stress fracture.. Triathlon Tarren went vegan and his health fell apart, Joe Gambles also.. Seems a common thread of people drastically changing and restricting their diets and bad things happening. In b4 causation correlation blah blah..

"Non-meat eaters, especially vegans, had higher risks of either total or some site-specific fractures, particularly hip fractures."

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/...6/s12916-020-01815-3
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Vegan Tri wrote:

Jan also vegan also hip stress fracture.. Triathlon Tarren went vegan and his health fell apart, Joe Gambles also.. Seems a common thread of people drastically changing and restricting their diets and bad things happening. In b4 causation correlation blah blah..

"Non-meat eaters, especially vegans, had higher risks of either total or some site-specific fractures, particularly hip fractures."

"Some" additional risk. I'd say no dairy is a bigger factor than no meat (as the study referenced).

I just noticed her crazy small portions and picking at her food rather than actual eating. Based on the increased intensity with Super League, ITU, and Sub 8, you have to fuel those efforts. There is no way around it and not doing so is the biggest risk factor of all imo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All injuries and recoveries are different, but I had hip stress fracture in late October. Just back to walking a few weeks ago. Running is definitely gonna be longer away and ramp up will have to be slow. If her injury is remotely like mine, her season is definitely shot.

-----------------------------------
team website: http://snappletriteam.com/

team blog: http://snappletriteam.com/?page_id=10
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [zdesmond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zdesmond wrote:
All injuries and recoveries are different, but I had hip stress fracture in late October. Just back to walking a few weeks ago. Running is definitely gonna be longer away and ramp up will have to be slow. If her injury is remotely like mine, her season is definitely shot.

Wow, where was your stress fracture? I have a 14mm in my sacrum preventing me from running atm. At 2 weeks I could walk and put my pants on with no pain (first 2 weeks sucked). Took it easy the first week but have been cycling and swimming mostly like usual. On week 5 now, hoping to start running again soon.

I thought at first hers was going to be the sacrum too as it seems common in triathlon. Hers seems smaller but in a worse location. Hopefully she can get connected with some more opinions and at least gets a gameplan. If she is feeling no pain I bet she is swimming soon. Curious if dr will think cycling is ok in that fracture location, but I bet she’s riding easy on the trainer soon too.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [zdesmond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zdesmond wrote:

Yeah... of all of the stress fractures you can get, I wouldn't have thought that the hip would be a great one
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was in the femoral neck. I hobbled around for a couple weeks on it before getting to doc and receiving diagnosis. Happened in a race, but even with the hobbling around running would have been impossible on it. I could run on it now, but doc says that is misguided until I build my strength back up and then slow build up after that. Cause was ramping up miles too quickly in marathon training plan.

-----------------------------------
team website: http://snappletriteam.com/

team blog: http://snappletriteam.com/?page_id=10
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

You're looking for a strong trend where there is a weak one.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Lucy Charles Hip Stress Fracture [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
[On 12 March said on other thread] She is at home training hard....No secrets or conspiracy theories to excite the social media masses
Didn't age well. If you establish a reputation for feeding the SM masses, and then starve them, do not be surprised if there are 'withdrawal symptoms'.
21 Jan: (her vid) Intending to do the volcano tri on Lanzarote at the end of Feb....
End Feb: on Lanzarote (17 Mar) start list.
31 Mar: Only decided the hip was a problem a week ago.
Why not race Volcano Tri? Why not race Lanza? If not a problem till (say) 20 March.
Fair to assume that this has been troubling since mid Feb (latest). Finally "reached out to Red Bull" etc in mid March.
Thought this latest video was high on supplements and low on diet limitations and intolerances stuff.
Hope, with all the help and advice she mends as well as can be expected and gets back to fitness prudently.
Glad husband has all clear (assumed).
Quote Reply

Prev Next