Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [onder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onder wrote:
Hi Mitch,

Could you help please? Here is a snapshot of the fit file. I know i am a Medium, however, when i went to Trek dealer, there were key items that i could choose to give me flexibility for readjustment for future modification to fitting. Given this snapshot what would i choose? All medium range? or any of my fitting parameters asks for specific one being different in selection of the bike in the dealer configuration site?

PS: I am going from my 2016 Cervelo P3 with a drastic change in my fit, hence this is the first order fitting, which may get tweaks later when i get the bike.

Thanks in advance,
Onder

Hey Onder, I let this one slip - didn't see it till now when catching up on notifications from the 26th. Details below!

For a medium frame, you'll want the following:
  • Far tower topper
  • Mid rise base bar

Also, you would likely want a 60mm tower base and a 10mm adjustment spacer which would get you spot on for your stack/reach. I also see you have some tilt to the cockpit, so this was taken with a 7 degree pad angle. With 0 pad angle, you'll still use the the same tower topper and base bar, you'd just run a 45mm tower base and 5mm adjustment spacer (which are all included).

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horchata wrote:
Hi Mitch:

I'm looking at a new disc brake speed concept. Currently on a Large Gen1 Speed Concept, so I think a Large in the new disc brake is what I need. Coordinates are below. Can you help me identify which base bar, tower topper, and seat post I would need? And can you confirm that Large is the way to go with these coordinates?

Pad stack (from BB): 613mm
Pad reach (from BB): 502mm
Drop from pads to basebar handholds: 19mm
Saddle height: 809 mm (with 155mm cranks)

thanks!

Large seems to be the way to go, but there are a few different configurations here that we can explore because your stack and reach numbers are pretty spread out on the charts.

Question. Do you want any tilt in your pad setup? 0, 7, and 14 degrees are what you can accomplish on the new SC for reference.

Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwmott wrote:
Mitch (or anyone else),

I'm looking at getting a Gen2 Speed Concept and trying to figure out size, stem and spacers.

I have the size chart from https://www.trekbikes.com/...eed-concept/p/22054/.

My pad stack and reach measurements:
Pad stack (BB to top of pad): 630 mm
Pad reach (BB to center of pad): 450 mm

Solutions according to the size chart (avoiding "full range" for reach, but accepting "pad range"):
  • Extra Small, high far stem, 45 mm spacer (reach falls into "pad range")
  • Small, high far stem, 15+5 mm spacer (reach falls into "mid-pad")
  • Medium, medium near stem, 15+5 mm spacer (reach falls into "pad range")
  • Medium, low near stem, 45+5 mm spacer (reach falls into "mid-pad") Would have to decrease my stack by 5mm
  • Large, low near stem, 25+5 mm spacer (reach falls into "pad range", 1mm outside of "mid-pad")

I've read to try to avoid either of the high stems, so I'm pretty much ruling the Extra Small and Small size out, even though the Small is the only one where the reach fits into the "mid-pad" category. I think it is between the Medium and Large for the best option.

Onto basebar considerations...on my current bike my basebar stack and reach are:

Basebar Stack: 570 mm
Basebar Reach: 640 mm

I'm used to this basebar stack and reach, but I don't think it would be a huge deal to change it (I'll have to somewhat no matter what I choose).

• Medium, medium near stem has a 580 mm basebar stack and 615-625 mm basebar reach
  • Medium, low near stem has a 545 mm basebar stack and 625-635 mm basebar reach
  • Large, low near stem has a 569 mm basebar stack and 643-653 mm basebar reach

Medium (medium near stem) brings my hands in on the basebar and raises them slightly, Large stretches them out further. Medium (low near stem) lowers my hands significantly and brings them in slightly. Anyone have thoughts on which change would be better or easier to adjust to?

I'm leaning towards the Medium because I currently have a Medium 2011 Speed Concept 7.0 that fits well and I'm used to the feel of that size bike. I also am able to obtain a Medium Gen2 right now whereas I'd have to keep searching for a Large. With the Medium I just need to decide on stem, though I understand I can change this later (but involves re-cabling).

Is it okay to be in the "pad range" for reach? Am I right to avoid the high stems? Anything else to consider?

Nice work diving into the sizing chart!

I'd recommend focusing on your pad reach/stack over the base bar by the way, the base bar is less important for this bike. So in this case, the Medium w/ med-near stem and 15+5 spacers would be what I'd choose. Then you are not loosing your stack. Also, it is fine to go into the "pad range" if you can't get into the "mid pad" range - but you always want to try to get into the "mid pad' first, then work to "pad range" if needed.

Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mitch. The numbers I provided to you To answer your questions so that you can advise more specifically:

1) are to the top of the pads (for stack from BB), and to the back of the pads (for reach from BB)
2) I do currently have tilt in my cockpit. I believe it is 10 degrees. I would play around with 7 or 14 degrees to see which is more comfortable. I could definitely see myself using either, but I am not quite sure which yet.

Please let me know what you recommend. I was speaking with my LBS and it didnā€™t sound like the toppers were terribly expensive, so even if we donā€™t get it right the first time, I wonā€™t be in a hole, but would be great to try to start in a good spot.

By the way, Iā€™ll be ordering the SLR7 Ultegra.
Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horchata wrote:
Thanks Mitch. The numbers I provided to you To answer your questions so that you can advise more specifically:

1) are to the top of the pads (for stack from BB), and to the back of the pads (for reach from BB)
2) I do currently have tilt in my cockpit. I believe it is 10 degrees. I would play around with 7 or 14 degrees to see which is more comfortable. I could definitely see myself using either, but I am not quite sure which yet.

Please let me know what you recommend. I was speaking with my LBS and it didnā€™t sound like the toppers were terribly expensive, so even if we donā€™t get it right the first time, I wonā€™t be in a hole, but would be great to try to start in a good spot.

By the way, Iā€™ll be ordering the SLR7 Ultegra.

Perfect! Let's build it out for both a 7 degree and 14 degree angle so you can get an idea of what you can work with for the large frame.

7 degree setup:
  • Far tower topper (spot on for a 502mm reach)
  • Low rise base bar
  • 0mm tower base
  • 5mm adjustment spacer (this will give you 611mm of stack - going to a 10mm would give you 616mm, so the 5mm would get you the closest)

14 degree setup:
  • Far tower topper
  • Low rise base bar
  • 0mm tower base
  • 0mm adjustment spacer (gives you 611mm of stack - 5mm spacer will give you 616mm)

So basically, you will only need to buy one tower topper and base bar - the adjustment spacers are included so you'd have the ability to play around with those depending on your tilt of choice!

Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thatā€™s amazing info. Thank you so much Mitch! Stoked to get this set up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome! Share the new bike pics once you get it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch,

I am looking to order the new Speed Concept through Project One. Can you please confirm frame size as large and other parts needed such as stem, spacer, etc. for:

Arm Pad Reach BB: 432mm
Arm Pad Stack BB: 655mm
Saddle Height BB to center of saddle: 783mm
Frame Stack: 547mm
Frame Reach: 410mm

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [razor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
razor wrote:
Hi Mitch,

I am looking to order the new Speed Concept through Project One. Can you please confirm frame size as large and other parts needed such as stem, spacer, etc. for:

Arm Pad Reach BB: 432mm
Arm Pad Stack BB: 655mm
Saddle Height BB to center of saddle: 783mm
Frame Stack: 547mm
Frame Reach: 410mm

Thank you

You're fitting a large frame really well! So building that out, I'd recommend ordering the following with your Project One order:
  • Mid tower topper
  • Mid ride base bar
  • 45mm tower base (his would put you at a 657mm stack, pretty close to the original stack measurement you gave)
  • 0mm/no adjustment spacer
  • Long seat post (has a max of 810mm of adjustment to the saddle rails)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That helps tremendously. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:

Nice work diving into the sizing chart!

I'd recommend focusing on your pad reach/stack over the base bar by the way, the base bar is less important for this bike. So in this case, the Medium w/ med-near stem and 15+5 spacers would be what I'd choose. Then you are not loosing your stack. Also, it is fine to go into the "pad range" if you can't get into the "mid pad" range - but you always want to try to get into the "mid pad' first, then work to "pad range" if needed.

Thanks, Mitch. I now own a size Medium Gen 2 Speed Concept!

However, it came with a medium far stem. I assumed I would purchase a medium near stem and have it switched out, but looking at what I have, it seems like I should easily be able to hit a 450 mm reach with the medium far stem, even though this is outside of both the mid-pad and pad range reach ranges.

In fact, it appears I could have down to a ~435 mm reach with a fairly neutral configuration of the hardware:
  • Monobar slider in the middle of the monobar track
  • Pad wing holder on the second set of holes on the monobar (calling the set of holes closest to the saddle the first set)
  • Arm pad cradles attached to the pad wing holder on the third set of holes on the arm pad cradles (calling the set of holes closest to the addle the first set)

What is the basis of the mid-pad and pad range reach ranges? Is there a reason the 435 mm reach setup I described above would be a problem or non-ideal?

More realistically, it looks like I'm going to have something like:
  • Pad wing holder on the third set of holes on the monobar
  • Arm pad cradles attached to the pad wing holder on the third set of holes on the arm pad cradles
  • Monobar slider somewhere in the middle, maybe a little further forward towards the front, of the monobar track

Any reason this would be an issue? Why does this configuration fall outside of the recommended reach ranges?
Last edited by: jwmott: Feb 22, 22 23:07
Quote Reply
2017 wheelset questions [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM'd Mitch but I'll take any advice I can get.

I picked up a really really nice 2017 Speed Concept 7.5 for my kid. Couldn't watch him do sprints on his Salsa Journeyman anymore. I got a screaming good deal. Starting to get everything dialed for a season of races.

The Trek has the stock alloy wheelset and being that it's tax season I am considering a wheel upgrade for him contingent upon continued classroom success and hard work in athletics. Maybe it's not the smartest money to spend but man would it be proper.

I've used lightbicycle in the past with great success on my mountain bikes and was looking at a 65/88 wheelset for the speed concept.

Rear rim is 26.5 external/18.8 internal and front is 25.5 external / 18.5 internal. I'd be running 25mm GP 5000's with tubes.

Are those rim/tire dimensions a good fit for the 2017? I certainly don't want to start shopping without confirming fit.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 wheelset questions [sbear55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That likely would work. I have same bike with HED Jet wheels which are 21 internal and I think 25 external. I use 25 gp5000 tires. No issues.

I'm too lazy right now, but if you go to hed's site it will give you the specs.

Hope that helps.

By the way, I can't imagine a better gift (other than a good car) than a sweet bike and race wheels! Dad of the year!
Quote Reply
2022 Speed Concept Fit Question - Can I fit on a medium? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch, just wondering if it would be possible to squeeze on a medium speed concept disc? I have an older P5 now and it is somewhat of a tank. šŸ˜Š Thinking a medium might be a bit lighter. Anyway, my pad stack is 660mm, and reach is 510mm on a 56 P5. I'm 6'0" with a 33.5 inseam for reference. Just wondering if there is a way to fit on a medium. I was looking for the fit calculator mentioned online but did not find it on the trek site, and the stack and reach graph has no numbers on it. I've found going lower on stack for me is slower, and this bike will be for full and half ironman races. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the small rubber bumper that sits underneath where the head tube and down tube meet fell off my Gen 2. It looks like clear silicone or something like Shoe Goo was used to hold it on there, does that sound right?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 wheelset questions [sbear55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adding this in here as well, but the max rim width for gen 2 Speed Concepts would be 26mm due to the brake being the limiting factor.

Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Speed Concept Fit Question - Can I fit on a medium? [TheFever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheFever wrote:
Hi Mitch, just wondering if it would be possible to squeeze on a medium speed concept disc? I have an older P5 now and it is somewhat of a tank. šŸ˜Š Thinking a medium might be a bit lighter. Anyway, my pad stack is 660mm, and reach is 510mm on a 56 P5. I'm 6'0" with a 33.5 inseam for reference. Just wondering if there is a way to fit on a medium. I was looking for the fit calculator mentioned online but did not find it on the trek site, and the stack and reach graph has no numbers on it. I've found going lower on stack for me is slower, and this bike will be for full and half ironman races. Thanks!

Is this reach to the back of the pad? If so, a medium Gen 3 Speed Concept is off the table. You're better suited for an XL with that reach it seems!

Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Speed Concept Fit Question - Can I fit on a medium? [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, the reach I quoted was the middle of the pad as that is what cervelo uses it seems. Measuring just now with a level and tape itā€™s roughly 45cm to the back.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Speed Concept Fit Question - Can I fit on a medium? [TheFever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheFever wrote:
Sorry, the reach I quoted was the middle of the pad as that is what cervelo uses it seems. Measuring just now with a level and tape itā€™s roughly 45cm to the back.

Perfect, that is more manageable! So with a reach of 450mm and a stack of 660mm, you could fit a medium Speed Concept for sure. You have two configurations available, but the high rise option for option B would provide you with more room for adjustment without having to change the base bar.

Option A:
  • Far tower topper
  • Mid rise base bar
  • 60mm tower base
  • 5mm adjustment spacer

OR option B:
  • Far tower topper
  • High rise base bar
  • 45mm tower base
  • 5mm adjustment spacer

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch,

I could use some help. I have a medium Speed Concept and am wondering if I should have a large. I am 5'10", inseam 32-33.

From my bike fit:
Pad reach (back of pad): 397 mm
Pad stack (top of pad): 682 mm

But, I was set up very high in the front and with a lot of set back on the seat. from this fit, I feel that I need a bigger bike as I have the high near stem and the highest riser and the seat post with all of the set back.

Thank you.

Rob

ā€œItā€™s good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.ā€ - Ernest Hemingway
Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [multisportPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about the numbers but your similar to me. 5 10 and 31 to 32 inseam.

I ride on a medium SC and am very happy with the size.
Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [multisportPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
multisportPT wrote:
Mitch,

I could use some help. I have a medium Speed Concept and am wondering if I should have a large. I am 5'10", inseam 32-33.

From my bike fit:
Pad reach (back of pad): 397 mm
Pad stack (top of pad): 682 mm

But, I was set up very high in the front and with a lot of set back on the seat. from this fit, I feel that I need a bigger bike as I have the high near stem and the highest riser and the seat post with all of the set back.

Thank you.

Rob

You definitely have a high stack. Your reach is fine, but that stack measurement puts you on the end of the adjustment scale for the medium. It makes me wonder if you're due for a fit evaluation if you haven't had one recently. Your overall height and inseam suggest a medium frame as littlefoot mentioned.

On a medium frame:
  • Mid tower topper
  • High rise base bar
  • 75mm tower base (the largest possible)
  • 5mm adjustment spacer (room for 5mm more of adjustment to a max of 686.7mm of stack)

If you did a large frame:
  • Near tower topper
  • High rise base bar
  • 60mm tower base
  • 0 adjustment spacers

The stack is pretty far out on both configurations, so you'll be stuck with a high rise bar in either frame. If your stack measurement changes to a lower value, the medium frame is going to be more versatile for adjustments since you are sort of in the middle of the fit chart (minus that stack).

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Apr 5, 22 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch,

The little rubber bumper at the top of the downtube of my Gen 2 fell off and I'm looking for the part number for a replacement part number as well as what is suggested as an adhesive to put it on with.
Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny. Mine just did too!!

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: \\\\\\\\\\\\ New Speed Concept Fit Data \\\\\\\\\\\\ [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Mitch,

The little rubber bumper at the top of the downtube of my Gen 2 fell off and I'm looking for the part number for a replacement part number as well as what is suggested as an adhesive to put it on with.

We sell that bumper in a kit listed as part number 437032. I'd recommend a 3M adhesive such as their 9472LE transfer tape for reinstalling these bumpers!

Quote Reply

Prev Next