Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM
Quote | Reply
Any ideas what's going on with Lucy Charles Barclay? We haven't seen much of anything from her - and she isn't on any start lists that I could find which isn't really ideal ahead of the first world champs of the season. Rumor time for IMWC I guess. I just hope she's on the start line fit and healthy but this is off brand for her, isn't it?

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is IM 70.3 Lanzarote next week? Seems to be on that (well, was last time I looked).
Edit: no, she was listed but now not there. Haug #1 and Matthews #3 (and think Charles must have been #2).
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Mar 11, 22 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Is IM 70.3 Lanzarote next week? Seems to be on that (well, was last time I looked).
Edit: no, she was listed but now not there. Haug #1 and Matthews #3 (and think Charles must have been #2).

Lucy Buckingham...the other super swimmer from Britain named Lucy...is all I could find.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She posts pretty regularly on Instagram. Lately it’s mainly been workout posts, so she doesn’t appear to be injured and just preparing for the upcoming season.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
She posts pretty regularly on Instagram. Lately it’s mainly been workout posts, so she doesn’t appear to be injured and just preparing for the upcoming season.
Any running ones?
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
dktxracer wrote:
Any running ones?

She posted riding indoor 16 hours ago in Instagram. She’s well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think you can read too much into pros being added/removed from start lists, often they’ve been on a start list for months and then plans change for whatever reason as the race gets closer.

Kat Matthews was on Challenge Salou start lists up to a week or so ago, it looks like she’s now doing Lanzarote 70.3 instead. Interested to see how she goes against Anne Haug, I’m not sure they’ve ever raced before and both are great runners.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
I don’t think you can read too much into pros being added/removed from start lists, often they’ve been on a start list for months and then plans change for whatever reason as the race gets closer.
Kat Matthews was on Challenge Salou start lists up to a week or so ago, it looks like she’s now doing Lanzarote 70.3 instead. Interested to see how she goes against Anne Haug, I’m not sure they’ve ever raced before and both are great runners.
Looking at the PTO pages, Collins Cup is, I think, the only common race, and Haug was below par (though she ran faster off a slow bike, but then excelled for the year's standout long performance at Roth only 8 days later).
https://protriathletes.org/athlete/anne-haug
https://protriathletes.org/...ete/katrina-matthews
The Lanzarote bike course is a good tester for St George: 13m per km, though with the climb spread throughout:
https://ridewithgps.com/.../38735659?beta=false
StG IM is 12.5m per km - RwGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38499172
Anyway, off topic. Let's hope Charles is OK and she just hasn't make up her mind whether to race before St George (or not; or is not telling)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
dktxracer wrote:
Any running ones?

Not sure she is injury free would be an accurate position!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Theres plenty of recent posts and videos? She looks quite pleased in todays post biking with her dog in a back pack
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
Theres plenty of recent posts and videos? She looks quite pleased in todays post biking with her dog in a back pack

She hasn’t posted any running updates at all. Read into that what you want.

Normally over the winter she will do the park runs and occasionally X-Country but not seen any of that recently. She also normally posts a lot more about going to La Santa on training camps. Perhaps she is staying in UK to receive treatment, perhaps to avoid COVID, perhaps a new training regime.

You can read anyway you want to but there is a definite difference to last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Lacticturkey wrote:

She is at home training hard....No secrets or conspiracy theories to excite the social media masses
The Pain Cave | Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucy is among a small group of pros that derive good money from the sport. I suspect that means she can manage her schedule with no mind for hitting incentives based on winning second tier races, etc. If she doesn’t need to train by racing, she’ll be good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
. . . I suspect that means she can manage her schedule with no mind for hitting incentives based on winning second tier races, etc. If she doesn’t need to train by racing, she’ll be good to go.

Even the best athletes don't do a 'start the season' race to 'hit incentives'. They race one to see where they are, validate the winter months of training, check nutrition and eating regimes, and remind their bodies what 'full on' racing is like: a key part of preparation for the hard yards in the first 'A' race of the year. And because they enjoy racing: or is that a 'need' you think she hasn't got @Waingro ?
And to make some money, which means Miami was a bummer for Sala, Pallant and Sodaro.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Mar 13, 22 10:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you check? Easy to see on insta that she did the los santa camp Jan-Feb. Three or four A races this year is probably enough

SheridanTris wrote:
Lacticturkey wrote:

Normally over the winter she will do the park runs and occasionally X-Country but not seen any of that recently. She also normally posts a lot more about going to La Santa on training camps. Perhaps she is staying in UK to receive treatment, perhaps to avoid COVID, perhaps a new training regime.

You can read anyway you want to but there is a definite difference to last year.
Last edited by: Lacticturkey: Mar 13, 22 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She normally goes to La Santa at least 3/4 times but has only been the once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Waingro wrote:
. . . I suspect that means she can manage her schedule with no mind for hitting incentives based on winning second tier races, etc. If she doesn’t need to train by racing, she’ll be good to go.

Even the best athletes don't do a 'start the season' race to 'hit incentives'. They race one to see where they are, validate the winter months of training, check nutrition and eating regimes, and remind their bodies what 'full on' racing is like: a key part of preparation for the hard yards in the first 'A' race of the year. And because they enjoy racing: or is that a 'need' you think she hasn't got @Waingro ?
And to make some money, which means Miami was a bummer for Sala, Pallant and Sodaro.

I agree most athletes do some B races in preparation for the A races, but some of the highly compensated athletes race less. For years, Jan typically did a spring 70.3 like Oceanside, a mid-Summer full, 70.3 WC depending on the venue, and Kona. Lucy has three WCs, the breaking 8 thing, and I’m not sure what else. That matches Jan’s typical season right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I agree most athletes do some B races in preparation for the A races, but some of the highly compensated athletes race less. For years, Jan typically did a spring 70.3 like Oceanside, a mid-Summer full, 70.3 WC depending on the venue, and Kona. Lucy has three WCs, the breaking 8 thing, and I’m not sure what else. That matches Jan’s typical season right there.
Nope - no match: see Frodeno's first of the year results here:
https://protriathletes.org/athlete/jan-frodeno
Always a middle distance race first, presumably as advised by Lorang. Who else does he coach? Haug: racing next w/e.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think she had a year of fun last year, trying stuff - ITU, marathon, 1500m swim Olympic trial etc.

But very noticeable that she focussed and zeroed in on the 70.3 WC later in the year, and nailed it huge.

Perhaps a more focussed Lucy this year just chasing the big wins, no need to work hard building the brand - the brand is established and will look after itself if big wins keep coming.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
I think she had a year of fun last year, trying stuff - ITU, marathon, 1500m swim Olympic trial etc.

But very noticeable that she focussed and zeroed in on the 70.3 WC later in the year, and nailed it huge.

Perhaps a more focussed Lucy this year just chasing the big wins, no need to work hard building the brand - the brand is established and will look after itself if big wins keep coming.

i think lucy had more fun than anybody in pro triathlon last year. she was doing so much cool stuff.

of note is also that she switched coached to dan lorang, so it's possible that he wants her on a more frodo/haug pathway of less racing and more specialized prep.

also: i think lucy's win at 70.3 was criminally underrated - a staggering performance. she wasn't going to lose that race, not to a fit daniela, annie, laura, holly . . . hell, bring back michellie jones or karen smyers or whoever, lucy was untouchable that day.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

of note is also that she switched coached to dan lorang, so it's possible that he wants her on a more frodo/haug pathway of less racing and more specialized prep.

She posted on 1/21/22 "Warming up for my biggest race season yet".

I'm guessing she has an injury that is preventing her from running/racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the same IG post she said she was doing the volcano tri on Lanzarote at the end of Feb.......she isn't in the results.

They mentioned her potentially being injured on the pro tri news podcast this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's secretly training with Ben Simmons

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Lucy isn't showing up on start lists and is pretty quiet on SM [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
esuuv wrote:
On the same IG post she said she was doing the volcano tri on Lanzarote at the end of Feb.......she isn't in the results.
They mentioned her potentially being injured on the pro tri news podcast this week.
"mentioned her potentially being injured" - was complete conjecture. https://duckduckgo.com/...br&ia=definition
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I heard that too. She's been biking a lot on zwift... but that could mean injury too. I don't know what to make of it really...

Quote Reply

Prev Next