Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with hours
Quote | Reply
It will be 13 years since my last ironman, 12 since my last tri. Ironman Canada is fast approaching. I'm a back of the packer for sure but I was wondering how many hours you are training right now? I have zero plan still. Why? Because I'm trying to fit it all in. Kids, life, work, training , bmx, roller derby and kids activities.
I would just love an idea of what you all are doing. Please.
Lana
Quote Reply
Re: Help with hours [LanaK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Lana,
I am training only about 12-14 hours per week. I swim 2X per week, bike 3-4, run (taking a short break due to a niggle) so I do elliptical or stairmill 2X per week, weights 2x per week and stretch a bit every day. I think the key is to focus on quality or quantity. Hope that helps. I love IM Canada (by the way) and did that race many times. So much fun and amazing support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate.

I think you need a goal for the race. Time goal, finish upright and smiling? Then work backwards to make a plan that gets you there.

I'm sure you already know this - but it's likely that something is going to have to give. And to keep that from being your sanity, it might be time to make a priority list and figure out what can get dropped and when (and also how to delegate/say no).
Quote Reply
Re: Help with hours [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theres is lots. Kind of why derby needs to go. Bmx is a fmaily sport so can't pass that up (and it is so much fun).
I really want to finish upright and smiling. If i could do less then 16 hours then I'm golden. Ideally 15 would be amazing but not sure if I'm setting myself up for disappointment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a solid goal.

I wish you luck in figuring out your training and getting to start line healthy and ready to race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train 15-20 hours a week at my peak training months before ironman. I don't have kids, but do have a demanding job and dogs and do a lot of balancing. I think you need to do what others said and take a look at your days and see if you can prioritize. Is your family supportive? Can you fit your needed long bike rides in on a Saturday? For me the bulk of ironman training and balancing is the weekend stuff and carving THAT time out.

Things to think about:
  • ALWAYS exercise by time and not distance (well maybe except swimming because that's weird). That helps you plan your day.
  • can you swing early morning workouts so that you have the time you need for family after work (not everyone is a morning person, but I do know a friend who gets up and does their morning workouts from 4am -6am daily!)

• My weekday workouts are usually 90 min or less (minus my long runs which i like to do on Thursdays, but they top off for me at 2 hours).
    • Personally I prefer to do the "one shower" plan - meaning I do my best to combine workouts into one session if possible and only shower once versus splitting AM/PM.
    • NOTE The one-shower thing doesn't work great for when I swim on weekdays because I prefer to shower immediately after swimming and it seems like a waste of time to shower and then go run or something. So on those days I do split AM/PM.

• on weekend days, you can really capitalize on the long ride time by being willing to do a chunk of it on the trainer (see morning person comment above though). If you can swing it, you can manage to be done with your bike ride before noon on most of the weekend days EXCEPT your month leading up to the race where you might need one or two longer rides than 6 hours. If you live somewhere that you can get safely get out the door at 6am, that's great too. But sometimes being inside makes things easier.

• you might be able to combine some family time creatively. maybe alternate doing BMX - ride one day with the family and then the other day do laps around the course running?
  • if you are experienced, you might not need to do a true long run. For me I'm injury prone and top off at 2 hours - but the run is my strength.

Quote Reply
Re: Help with hours [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for tips.
I don't think i could manage 20 hournweeks this go around, that would be amazing..
Appreciate your help
Quote Reply