Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Anyone know the Q factor VS the standard speed plays?

pardon my being pedantic, but it's stance width you're asking about. the Q factor on a bike is the same regardless of spindle length. as to your question, i suspect you'll have your answer pretty soon.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
m@tty wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
I am really hoping they start selling these with the aero pedal body. The price is also less than DC Rainmaker was predicting.

I doubt they will as have just picked up a set and the pedal body is much thicker maybe 2-3mm more stack so 4-6mm thicker in total.

That is a let down. The pods are already going to eat into any aero advantage and application specific bodies and maybe cleats are one more hassle to deal with over the long term. I really wish SRAM hadn't killed the PM hub when they bought PowerTap.

I so agree! I'm glad I have 3 going strong right now. Yes, I'm obsolete, but at least I have quality data and bulletproof product. Damn Saris for ever selling the product line to SRAM.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone actually try to buy from the link?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [ReasonableRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sort of.

If I selected ship to my nearest store it showed an estimated delivery date of March 2nd.

If I selected ship to my address it showed an estimated delivery date of February 28th.

I did not complete a transaction because I don't need a pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
54mm axle so 1mm wider than standard but haven’t read through the instructions as yet so they may require a spacer like Assiomas?
The 54mm was measured with a tape measure and my shitty eyesight so don’t quote me on it!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
54mm axle so 1mm wider than standard but haven’t read through the instructions as yet so they may require a spacer like Assiomas?
The 54mm was measured with a tape measure and my shitty eyesight so don’t quote me on it!

I’m guessing it will depend on cleat side to side position. When I look at mine I may have 5mm to the crank arm face. Seems like the pod offset is a lot more than that. Though maybe I’m missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly I don't recall what I wrote, but my stance on these pedals may have shifted some or did the projected price come way down? At 900, if I switched to Speedplay style pedals this is palatable.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

pardon my being pedantic, but it's stance width you're asking about. the Q factor on a bike is the same regardless of spindle length. as to your question, i suspect you'll have your answer pretty soon.

As always

Thank you Dan

Much appreciated. I always get those twisted around
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
m@tty wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
I am really hoping they start selling these with the aero pedal body. The price is also less than DC Rainmaker was predicting.

I doubt they will as have just picked up a set and the pedal body is much thicker maybe 2-3mm more stack so 4-6mm thicker in total.

That is a let down. The pods are already going to eat into any aero advantage and application specific bodies and maybe cleats are one more hassle to deal with over the long term. I really wish SRAM hadn't killed the PM hub when they bought PowerTap.

I so agree! I'm glad I have 3 going strong right now. Yes, I'm obsolete, but at least I have quality data and bulletproof product. Damn Saris for ever selling the product line to SRAM.

Maybe I am better with the HED disc with PowerTap in it VS the wahoo pedals with power meter

I just need to get a back wheel with G3 PowerTap for trainjng

I put a post up in the classifieds

No results yet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
playguy wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
m@tty wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Maybe I am better with the HED disc with PowerTap in it VS the wahoo pedals with power meter

I just need to get a back wheel with G3 PowerTap for trainjng

I put a post up in the classifieds

No results yet

Yea, I’ve been using the HED disc rear with G3 and really love it, plus it’s fast……. Glad I held on to my old PT wheels.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:

I’m guessing it will depend on cleat side to side position. When I look at mine I may have 5mm to the crank arm face. Seems like the pod offset is a lot more than that. Though maybe I’m missing something.

I have less, maybe 2mm. Just with standard Speedplay spindle length. So tight, that I have some scuff marks on the crankarm from when my heel goes in (I like a good amount of play).

There's *some* space underneath the carbon plate on my shoe and the spindle. Not enough for the pictured pod, though. With eyeball calipers. I think for the pod, to fit, for me, it'd take about 2mm more width and 2mm more stack. Which is why the 2-3mm more stack reference in the above post doesn't surprise me. But that'd be a a bummer if that ends up being true.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 21, 22 15:14
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
couple thoughts on these...are the pods going to get in the way of the low stack pedal or require one to move cleat in/shoe out to accommodate? and...while i love my speedplay pedals, no matter how closely i follow the maintenance schedule for lubing pedal body, i still kill off a pair in 3-4 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Stevej,
Here is one of the sentence of my report : "first configuration we obtained an average CdA over 3 tests of 0.1757 +0.0003/-0.0002 ; second configuration we obtained an average CdA over 4 tests of 0.1761 +0.0009/-0.0016".
I had one outlier with the Speedplay which drives me mad (but it actually helped the Speedplay so I did not remove it).

- Look / Bont Notio CdA average : 0.177
- Look / Bont Chung CdA average : 0.1757
- Speedplay / Bont Notio CdA average : 0.178
- Speedplay / Bont Chung CdA average : 0.1761

Thanks for sharing this. There is so little trustworthy aero data out there.

I suspect this will bust the myth that Speedplay is the fastest pedal system out there.

We need more data like this. Burnthesheep busted some helmet myths last week as well.

I am sure the people that prefer speedplay will be well served with a power meter from a reliable company like Wahoo. But at least the aero factor (or lack of) is well understood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just amending my eyeball figures as more accurate measurements took today the pedal bodies are 3mm thicker so 1.5mm more stack.
The spindles are 55mm so 2mm longer.
Struggling to upload pics on my iPhone
But they appear to have now been officially released and on the Wahoo webpage as is the Kickr Rollr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that they are officially released I can say that I’ve been riding with the pedals since late August 2021.

I’m sure DCR will have a detailed review up soon (maybe already) but after some initial concerns I’ve been impressed with them. I’m not a SpeedPlay fanboy (never used them until now), Look user since the late 80’s.

I’ve got a Powertap hub and for the first 2-3 months I would dual record my rides (1,600+ miles now). For the first few weeks the pedals were wildly erratic. One ride they’d be 25 watts low and the. The next ride 10-15 watts high. I never knew what I’d get but Wahoo was pushing beta software almost daily. After a few weeks things settled down and they became consistent with my Powertap (within 5 watts +/-). Eventually I stopped dual recording as they became reliable.

I did not do any fancy pictures, weighing, measuring, etc. I’ll leave that to DCR.

Btw, I also put them on my trainer bike a few times on the Neo2 and they were consistent. That was some much later though and not early on. Now they live on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting REI has the dual power for $900.00. Wahoo has the dual on their site for $999.99 and single for $649.99.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Now that they are officially released I can say that I’ve been riding with the pedals since late August 2021.

I’m sure DCR will have a detailed review up soon (maybe already) but after some initial concerns I’ve been impressed with them. I’m not a SpeedPlay fanboy (never used them until now), Look user since the late 80’s.

I’ve got a Powertap hub and for the first 2-3 months I would dual record my rides (1,600+ miles now). For the first few weeks the pedals were wildly erratic. One ride they’d be 25 watts low and the. The next ride 10-15 watts high. I never knew what I’d get but Wahoo was pushing beta software almost daily. After a few weeks things settled down and they became consistent with my Powertap (within 5 watts +/-). Eventually I stopped dual recording as they became reliable.

I did not do any fancy pictures, weighing, measuring, etc. I’ll leave that to DCR.

Btw, I also put them on my trainer bike a few times on the Neo2 and they were consistent. That was some much later though and not early on. Now they live on my road bike.

Wouldn't you know they'd come out just after I gave up and got the Faveros! May have to switch as I do love my Speedplays and the Lake Speedplay shoes I have that put me close to the pedal spindle.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Can you static torque test them ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:
Just amending my eyeball figures as more accurate measurements took today the pedal bodies are 3mm thicker so 1.5mm more stack. The spindles are 55mm so 2mm longer. Struggling to upload pics on my iPhone But they appear to have now been officially released and on the Wahoo webpage as is the Kickr Rollr.

here is the length of the spindle. i have it at 54.5mm, generously 55.0mm, somewhere between there, so does fredly in his article up on our site this morning.

as to the height of the pedal body, i have it at exactly 2.0mm "thicker". fredly has it at 2.7mm thicker. i can't find that extra .7mm, but i trust his calcs better than i trust my calcs. this means your seat height is shortened by something between 1.0mm and 1.3mm, which is in my experience very hard to sense when you're riding. yes, the pedal will be very slightly less aero i suspect because of the amount of the pedal sticking down from below the shoe.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of the devil ahem DC Rainmaker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcHg-LrFeYc

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems they are unavailable in Europe when I do a Google search. :(

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Discrepancy between DCR and fredly. fredly says calibration is automatic. DCR says to calibrate.

Though fredly fills in a great gap missed by DCR, shoe clearance/shimming issues. As a "big-shoed" person with several pairs of road shoes, this is where brick-and-mortar stores can justify themselves to me. I'd love to bring all my shoes in and spend 30 minutes on their fit bike hammering through all my shoes on a demo pair of these Speedplays. To save the hassle of shipping back a pair of power meter pedals with scuff marks on the pod in the event I can't find a shim setup that makes me happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Discrepancy between DCR and fredly. fredly says calibration is automatic. DCR says to calibrate.

Though fredly fills in a great gap missed by DCR, shoe clearance/shimming issues. As a "big-shoed" person with several pairs of road shoes, this is where brick-and-mortar stores can justify themselves to me. I'd love to bring all my shoes in and spend 30 minutes on their fit bike hammering through all my shoes on a demo pair of these Speedplays. To save the hassle of shipping back a pair of power meter pedals with scuff marks on the pod in the event I can't find a shim setup that makes me happy.

actually, the discrepancy is between ray and i. i added that as an edit to fredly's article (fredly here is Matthew Hill, who authored our review o this pedal). here is what wahoo says. officially:

POWRLINK ZERO automatically calibrates. With Automatic Calibration, POWRLINK ZERO automatically detects when no force is applied and triggers the zero offset calibration function. To ensure that the calibration is valid some other requirements have to be met, most importantly the bike has to be upright and stationary (which POWRLINK ZERO detects from the accelerometer and gyroscopes measurements.) If these requirements are not met POWRLINK ZERO will discard the result, and look for the next opportunity to calibrate.

now, i had some discussions with fredly about this, just yesterday, because he and i are independently producing comparative power file graphs with our various PMs and smart trainers. fredly pointed out to me that automatic calibration may be an issue when riding stationary. here is what he wrote me:

the "no force applied" part is the key there. That's coasting, which essentially never actually happens on a trainer, at least not sufficient to trigger calibration.

so, you all can take from this what you want. it seems to me that automatic calibration is a feature of the pedal, but with certain limitations.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 22, 22 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dumb ish question. When you wear out the pedals, you have to shell out the 'big bucks' for a whole new set right? Not just buy the pedal body part where it connects to the cleat? How long are pedals like this supposed to last?

<generally asking anyone in general, but this comment seemed to be a reasonable one to reply to>
Quote Reply

Prev Next