Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much Ian! Iā€™ve ordered the small and Iā€™m beyond excited.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi ian
Thanks for getting back to me but we are still at crossed wires here. My last post was questioning your recommendation for a large RIM brake CF. You have replied giving me sizing for the Disc brake CF. Im still looking for clarification about the RIM brake CF sizing that would be good for me
Many thanks
Neil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Any chance you'd be able to give a guide on canyon sizing but for grail (hover bar), grizl and endurace? I have had bike fit frame selection but my bike fitter is recommending size small on grizl and endurace.

Here's the report from retul frame:

Saddle height: 692mm
saddle setback: -42mm
saddle angle: - 4 degrees
effective seat tube: 75 degrees
grip angle: 19 degrees

frame stack: 567
frame reach: 378

handlebar reach: 511
handlebar drop: -8mm
handlebar stack: 646
handlebar reach: 469

Im 164cm, inseam of 76cm and I ride size small parlee with:
752 standover
frame stack 557
frame reach 364
165mm shorter cranks

with recommended sizing of small, the standover height is 789. would the sizing be too big? whats the reason by going this big?
I was also recommended size 49 or 52 on roubaix and comparing the size xs grizl and roubaix at 49, it looks similar but the stack is lower on canyon grizl.

Is there any chance i could make canyon work for me or just look at other brands instead?

medical history:
hip scope on L side and cam pincer on right hip.

I do strength regularly and I have done a few 70.3 and grand fondo events.

whats the pros and cons with people dealing with hip issues using 170mm crank? Do they need to opt for shorter cranks?

Any advice or guide would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Iā€™ve just re-measured and found my leg dimension is actually 85cm. Given my other dimensions already quoted do you still think the size small bike is the one for me? Thanks for your help Iā€™m going to be placing an order as soon as I get your reply.

Happy Christmas
Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Would appreciate your advice on a Speedmax size for the following:

Seat Height: 775mm
Pad X: 530mm
Pad Y: 650mm
Crank: 165mm

Setback: -35mm
Cockpit: 880mm
Aerobar drop: 120mm
Extension Length: 390mm

Thanks.

tricalculator.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Back again here and just finished up a bike fit and came back with the following coordinates:
Pad X: 500
Pad Y: 585(left)/635(right)--left humerus is shorter by 50mm
Saddle Height 767
Cranks: 165

Any chance I can fit on a Speedmax CF 8?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian. I have been told I am between S and M for the Speedmax CF SLX DISC KONA HAWAII. Any recommendations of S vs. M?

height: 5 10

saddle height: 750mm
Arm pad reach (canyon measurement 'N'): 400mm (this is back of the pad measurement, not mid-pad)
Armpad stack (canyon measurement 'M')/ BB vertical to top of arm pad: 634mm

also:
BB to front end of grip / grip reach: 776mm
handlebar reach: tip of saddle horizontal to bar top: 451mm
Handle bar drop / center of saddle profile to bar top grip: --155mm
165 crank arm length

Thanks!
Last edited by: mobilehank: Dec 30, 21 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [fhanusch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Wondering if you can help with a fit query - Iā€˜m 189cm, inseam 94.6cm, arm length 64.2cm, and currently riding a Felt B14 since 2015. Seat height 847mm, and roughly measured pad y 720mm and x 410mm (to back of pad). Iā€˜m looking at getting a CF SLX 8.0 Disc if/when it becomes available again. Canyon says I need a size L, would you agree?
The other thing Iā€˜m mostly concerned about is am I making too drastic a transition from a relatively comfortable position on the entry-level Felt (s/r ratio of 1.35) to a more aggressive Speedmax (s/r ratio of 1.15)? Or is this evened out with the adjustability of the Speedmax to still give me a comfortable enough fit? Iā€˜m willing to trade a bit of comfort for more speed, and have become a fair bit more competitive in recent years, albeit perhaps not necessarily more flexible (at 46 years of age). I recently did the bike at a local half ironman in 2:18, albeit on a flat course, if that helps in terms of bigger picture.
Thanks heaps in advance!

Folker,
Sorry for the slow response. I need to check with you about this Pad X of yours. 410 is SHORT. You're a tall guy with long legs.. I'd put your Pad X at 480..... 450 if I was being generous, but 410... is this a typo, is it 510? The Pad Y makes sense to me as does seat height so I want to check in on that.

If Pad X is 410 (to back of pad) then no, the Speedmax SLX in size large will not fit, the shortest the pads will go is ~428. The medium comes back to 410 (but just barely - min is 408), but then the medium's max Y is 690 so that won't work. The medium CF (not the SLX superbike but the CF mortal bike) would do it but even then you'd have to use a 70mm stem and the stock stem on the medium is an 80.

Take a look at the graph on this page and see how your 720/410 is an outlier. Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [CB77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks Ian,
Iā€™m looking at the SLX disc to upgrade from an SLX rim brake.
Would the advice be the same on the SLX based on its geometry?
Thanks in advance.

CB77,
What a blunder! Of course you were looking at the SLX, it's right there in your post. I'll be more careful in the future... Back to it: Pad Y of 610, Pad X of 440..perfect on the Medium SLX with stock bits of short stem and low spacer....too easy!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [SteveE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian, maybe you can help me with sizing a Canyon CF7 Disc.

Iā€™m currently riding a 2010 Planet X Stealth size M. Here in the UK the CF 7 disc is in stock in size S so Iā€™m hoping it may fit me. Iā€™ve taken the dimensions below from my stealth.
Reach 432-435mm
Stack 617-620mm
Current saddle height 755mm
Current cranks 172.5
Height 177.5
Inseam 80-81cm
Thanks in advance for your wisdom on this.
Steve
Steve,
Yes, the Speedmax CF in size small is the right bike
Yes, you've got lots of room to move fore/aft/up with the pads
Yes, you've got another ~12mm to go even lower than the 617 if you so wished
Yes, you should buy this bike!!!!

Ian

Quote:
Thanks Ian. Itā€™s actually now sold out in CF7 guise but is available as a CF8 in both small and medium.
My only concern with the Small is the top tube dimension is stated as 489mm and my current Planet X is about 530mm, does this matter?

SteveE,
I'm assuming that when you typed "Reach 432-435mm" and "Stack 617-620mm" that you intended to say Pad Reach 432-435 and Pad Stack 617-620. When with that intention what you really meant was Pad X 432-435 and Pad Y of 617-620. If all that is true then the top tube length difference between your current ride and the Speedmax doesn't matter; there's so much more to the "cockpit" than just top tube length. That list includes the length of the "stem", the angle the basebar moves as it exist the stem clamp, how/where the aerobars are attached to said basebar, how much fore-aft movement the pads offer, etc.
Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dicey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi ian
Thanks for getting back to me but we are still at crossed wires here. My last post was questioning your recommendation for a large RIM brake CF. You have replied giving me sizing for the Disc brake CF. Im still looking for clarification about the RIM brake CF sizing that would be good for me
Many thanks

Neil,
I'm mortified. You've been so patient. I've gone back and re-read our exchanges - I've been like blackhole for you here and I'm ready to right it finally... For the rim brake CF.. and I get that you're looking for possible used market here so I'm gonna give you some options...
The best would be a medium. The 620 Pad Y falls nicely in the middle of that bike's range. That bike (Rim Brake CF) came stock with an 80mm stem and that maxes out the Pad X of 447 so by going to a 90mm stem you'd be only 3mm off your 460. Keep in mind, I'm making some assumptions about your Pad Y and Pad X but I'm sure I'm very close. Now, you can also make a size Large work on a Rim Brake CF (and I know we've been down the "what! A Large" road before) but here it is... 620 is 15mm up from the bottom of the Pad Y ability of the Large and 460 is well within rage with the 90mm stem that came stock on this bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I think the pad x is reasonably accurate - I found my old measurements from the bikefit, which have my middle of seat back 167mm from bottom bracket, and a distance of 616mm from middle of seat to middle of the pad. Which would make it a pad x of 449 to middle of pad. Not sure of the length of Profile Design pads (F19), but this may make it slightly more than 410 to back of pad x. I have, however, noticed in recent weeks on the trainer that I probably could easily go a couple of centimeters longer on the pads and actually still feel comfortable, so maybe itā€™s just a matter of getting more used to it? And maybe my position has just not been as aero-optimised as it could have been all these years?
Thanks again for all your help with this!
Folker
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Gravelroader29!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Any chance you'd be able to give a guide on canyon sizing but for grail (hover bar), grizl and endurace? I have had bike fit frame selection but my bike fitter is recommending size small on grizl and endurace.

Here's the report from retul frame:
Saddle height: 692mm
saddle setback: -42mm
saddle angle: - 4 degrees
effective seat tube: 75 degrees
grip angle: 19 degrees

frame stack: 567
frame reach: 378

handlebar reach: 511
handlebar drop: -8mm
handlebar stack: 646
handlebar reach: 469

Im 164cm, inseam of 76cm and I ride size small parlee with:
752 standover
frame stack 557
frame reach 364
165mm shorter cranks
with recommended sizing of small, the standover height is 789. would the sizing be too big? whats the reason by going this big?
I was also recommended size 49 or 52 on roubaix and comparing the size xs grizl and roubaix at 49, it looks similar but the stack is lower on canyon grizl.
Is there any chance i could make canyon work for me or just look at other brands instead?
medical history:
hip scope on L side and cam pincer on right hip.
I do strength regularly and I have done a few 70.3 and grand fondo events.
whats the pros and cons with people dealing with hip issues using 170mm crank? Do they need to opt for shorter cranks?
Any advice or guide would be much appreciated.

G,
I have some opinions that I can share and perhaps there's a nugget or two in here that will help you...
If you're happy in your current position (Parlee size small) - and by "happy" I mean you're comfortable, you feel powerful, it's good - well then I'd like to know what the front end is on that bike. Is the stem a 90mm -17deg pitch, 20mm of spacer under that stem and with a 70mm reach bar? or is it set up with a 70mm stem in the +6 position with 35mm of spacer under the stem and a bar reach of 90mm? Here's why I ask... I can take some info (your current bike's Stack & Reach + your happiness on it + the front end configuration) and pop out the other side with a prescription like: you need a size small Grizl with an 80mm stem, in a -6degree position,15mm of spacer under that stem and an 80mm reach bar and Voila, you'll be nearly exact to the current position. Or if you say my current bike has this Stack & Reach, a 90mm stem, -17, 15mm spacer, 80 reach bar - if feels too long and a hair low. I can take those numbers and come away with something like... you're an Endurance size Medium with an 80mm stem, -16, slammed, 70 reach bar and you're golden.

Here's the part that bugs me in all this... you paid for a bike fit. That bike fitter should be the one prescribing your bike. You should be able to say to mr. bike fitter man "hey, what size and front end config works for me on a Grizl?" or "hey, what size and front end config works for me on an Endurance?" or "hey, am I one of the luck few who can fit on a Grail and if so what size?" (almost zero front options there so it either works for ya or it doesn't). PS. I'm a bike fitter and prescribing bikes is how I conclude the fits I do here - and not just: "you're a small" or "you're a 52" but "you're a Canyon Endurace, size Small, with an 80mm stem, -6 degree pitch, 30mm of spacer under that and the 70mm reach bar that comes stock will work".

Go back to that fitter and make her/him/they earn their money and reputation by prescribing the bikes you're interested in. Then come back to me and let's discuss.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [SteveE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveE,

The inseam doesn't change my suggestions or questions. The Pad Y and Pad X are the drivers for this prescription.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mlbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Thanks.

mlbTri,
This is a tough fit. I'm going ask this just because I get a numbers from lots of folks on here and... well, you seem confident in your current numbers and there's some correlation in your drop to your Pad X and your cockpit to the Pad Y. But... could that Pad X of 530 be to the middle of the pad? Let me know

I can tell you this.. if 530 is to the rear of the pad... the rim brake Speedmax SLX in a size large with the short stem that came stock and 20mm of pedestal is so perfect for you. That bike was super long and low.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

Back again here and just finished up a bike fit and came back with the following coordinates:
Saddle Height 767

AKCrafty,
Is this Pad X of 500 to the center of the pad or the rear of the pad?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mobilehank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Thanks Ian. I have been told I am between S and M for the Speedmax CF SLX DISC KONA HAWAII. Any recommendations of S vs. M?

height: 5 10

saddle height: 750mm
Arm pad reach (canyon measurement 'N'): 400mm (this is back of the pad measurement, not mid-pad)
Armpad stack (canyon measurement 'M')/ BB vertical to top of arm pad: 634mm

also:
BB to front end of grip / grip reach: 776mm
handlebar reach: tip of saddle horizontal to bar top: 451mm
Handle bar drop / center of saddle profile to bar top grip: --155mm
165 crank arm length

mobilehank
I suspect that your Pad Y could be 634 - that number makes sense to me. But Pad X at 400 to rear of pad... I'm suspicious. Let's say for a sec that it's spot on 634/400. Then you're a Small in the SLX, short stem, mid spacer, pads back a skosh from center. Super easy and room to move if you need to - which is good because I think 400 is a little short and I can't help but wonder stuff like... what type of saddlw and where is that saddle set in relation to the BB and where are you sitting on that saddle. I would think you'd be more like 430-470... and then if you do move forward a bit (and 165 cranks yes!) then could you perhaps be just as comfy down at 620ish???

Anyway.. size small works at 634/400 and room to move.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
AKCrafty,

Ian

Rear of pad. I was crunching some numbers and wondered if I could go with a small frame, reduce the stem spacer to 10mm (or less) and then get a Profile Aria 100 stem. Possible?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mlbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Per my fit sheet, that's 530mm for "Pad X / Pad Reach" for "Horizontal distance from BB center to middle of elbow rest". Thanks.

tricalculator.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ian,

Saddle Height 767
AKCrafty,
Quote:
Rear of pad. I was crunching some numbers and wondered if I could go with a small frame, reduce the stem spacer to 10mm (or less) and then get a Profile Aria 100 stem. Possible?
Ian

AKCrafty,
The longest the Pad X goes on a small Speedmax is 466ish. For you to get all the way out to 500 you'll need another stem for sure and a stem of 100mm would get you to 496 (and.. 4mm in reach is fungible). But let's be super clear.. the Profile Aeria stem has clamp bolts that will conflict with the top tube storage on the Speedmax CF so you'll need try and make the Aeria Ultimate stem work. As to the Pad Y.. the lowest the small goes is ~600 so 585 will be higher than preferable but the 635 is doable.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Quote:
Per my fit sheet, that's 530mm for "Pad X / Pad Reach" for "Horizontal distance from BB center to middle of elbow rest". Thanks.

mlbTri,
Okay, some bikes still measure Pad X to the mid pad but rear of pad is the norm we're all pushing towards so let's call your coordinates: Pad Y 650, Pad X 485 (to rear)

Canyon Speedmax CF (this is the mortal bike with disc brakes) this would be a Medium, the 80mm stem will work perfectly, you'll need 20mm of spacer under that stem, and pads will be pushed forward one hole shy of maximum.

Canyon Speedmax CFR or SLX (this is the super bike with disc brakes) this would be a size Large with the low spacer and... okay wait for it 'cuz this is important..... in the US this bike ships stock with the "short stem" and (if you're in the USA) then start with that, push the pads 100% forward and that will land you at a Pad X of ~482 - you might love it. If you need more then you can purchase the "long stem" and get out to or well beyond your Pad X.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super helpful, thank you!

tricalculator.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian
Thats perfect timing, I found a used size small at a great price that I was just about to buy so your sizing advice is just in time. Ive never dipped into the used market for a bike before but with TT bikes there appears to be a lot out there with very little use. I already own two Canyons from new so Im not putting them out of business! Anyway, Ive now got all the info I need to get the right bike. Thanks for all your advice.
Best Wishes
Neil
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dicey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am quite torn between the new Cervelo P5 and the canyon speedmax cfr (or cf slx) for my first TT/Tri bike. My TT bike fit is on 19 Jan 2022 but Iā€™m already looking at options for frame/gmfull bike build.

I currently ride a size 53 pinarello dogma f12 disc road bike. This below is the bike geometry:
Frame Reach 383.3
Frame Stack 542.6

My body measurements:
Height: 175.5cm
Inseam: 83cm

Iā€™m new to TT so I will need to ensure thereā€™s enough adjustability with the cockpit and various parts of the bike to ā€œplay aroundā€ with the fit and get lower/longer with time. Hence Iā€™d like a frame that allows me to do that.

Seems like I would be a size medium for Cervelo P5, so would the equivalent for Canyon speedmax be the Medium? Looks like small might be a bit too tight but Iā€™m not sure as Iā€™ve never had tt bike beforeā€¦

Any help? Thanks so much and happy new year!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Luca1991] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi,

I am quite torn between the new Cervelo P5 and the canyon speedmax cfr (or cf slx) for my first TT/Tri bike. My TT bike fit is on 19 Jan 2022 but Iā€™m already looking at options for frame/gmfull bike build.

I currently ride a size 53 pinarello dogma f12 disc road bike. This below is the bike geometry:
Frame Reach 383.3
Frame Stack 542.6

My body measurements:
Height: 175.5cm
Inseam: 83cm

Iā€™m new to TT so I will need to ensure thereā€™s enough adjustability with the cockpit and various parts of the bike to ā€œplay aroundā€ with the fit and get lower/longer with time. Hence Iā€™d like a frame that allows me to do that.

Seems like I would be a size medium for Cervelo P5, so would the equivalent for Canyon speedmax be the Medium? Looks like small might be a bit too tight but Iā€™m not sure as Iā€™ve never had tt bike beforeā€¦

Any help? Thanks so much and happy new year!

Luca1991,
I'm excited for you... your first tri bike and you're starting with a prescriptive fit and aiming to purchase the best bikes made. You're headed in the right direction.

I'd like to guide down into a successful place by saying this; take your time with the fit process. Allow several minutes riding in each position and with each adjustment. When you think you're close - then ride strong/hard for at least 15min. Show up there ready to sweat. Within that 15+ minute feel for the little whispers of discomfort -the stuff that might become a scream after 2 hours. Discuss those places with your fitter and give her/him a chance to tweak the position to solve. Be especially aware of saddle comfort and ask to switch saddles if the one your one is uncomfortable. Be especially aware of the shoulder area (front, side, rear) and ask the fitter to tweak the position to solve.

When you leave there you need to take with you three things:
1) Pad Y and Pad X (to the rear of the pad) - these are the numbers that will help you shop for the right bike
2) A prescription for the Speedmax CFR (SLX uses same geometry) - by that I mean size of bike, stem length, pedestal, etc. See him guess below.
3) All of your fit coordinates: seat height, set back, saddle tilt, cockpit distance (saddle to back of pad, back of pad to end of aero extension, etc), pad width, aerobar tilt, pad height (AKA drop), and more. Make sure that the crank length is noted on this sheet (and let's hope the cranks are on the short side), make sure the saddle used is noted, make sure the aerobar extension shape is noted.

Based on the little you've given me I think your Pad Y should be in the neighborhood of 625mm and your Pad X will be around 476mm. Based on that the proper Speedmax CFR (or SLX) would be a Medium with the long stem, mid pedestal, and pads mounted dead center. Please come back to me here with a picture of your final position and the Pad Y/Pad X that you left with - it gives me a chance to test my formula against a real world fit.

In terms of allowing the bike to move a bit over time - I think that's a must and I do NOT like prescribing a position that paints someone in a corner. To that end... if I'm right about 625/476 you're have 35mm down & nearly 50mm up as well as 10mm longer or 35mm shorter from this spot.

All the best, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next