Mitch (or anyone else),
I'm looking at getting a Gen2 Speed Concept and trying to figure out size, stem and spacers.
I have the size chart from https://www.trekbikes.com/...eed-concept/p/22054/
My pad stack and reach measurements:
Pad stack (BB to top of pad): 630 mm
Pad reach (BB to center of pad): 450 mm
Solutions according to the size chart (avoiding "full range" for reach, but accepting "pad range"):
- Extra Small, high far stem, 45 mm spacer (reach falls into "pad range")
- Small, high far stem, 15+5 mm spacer (reach falls into "mid-pad")
- Medium, medium near stem, 15+5 mm spacer (reach falls into "pad range")
- Medium, low near stem, 45+5 mm spacer (reach falls into "mid-pad") Would have to decrease my stack by 5mm
- Large, low near stem, 25+5 mm spacer (reach falls into "pad range", 1mm outside of "mid-pad")
I've read to try to avoid either of the high stems, so I'm pretty much ruling the Extra Small and Small size out, even though the Small is the only one where the reach fits into the "mid-pad" category. I think it is between the Medium and Large for the best option.
Onto basebar considerations...on my current bike my basebar stack and reach are:
Basebar Stack: 570 mm
Basebar Reach: 640 mm
I'm used to this basebar stack and reach, but I don't think it would be a huge deal to change it (I'll have to somewhat no matter what I choose).
Medium (medium near stem) brings my hands in on the basebar and raises them slightly, Large stretches them out further. Medium (low near stem) lowers my hands significantly and brings them in slightly. Anyone have thoughts on which change would be better or easier to adjust to?
- Medium, medium near stem has a 580 mm basebar stack and 615-625 mm basebar reach
- Medium, low near stem has a 545 mm basebar stack and 625-635 mm basebar reach
- Large, low near stem has a 569 mm basebar stack and 643-653 mm basebar reach
I'm leaning towards the Medium because I currently have a Medium 2011 Speed Concept 7.0 that fits well and I'm used to the feel of that size bike. I also am able to obtain a Medium Gen2 right now whereas I'd have to keep searching for a Large. With the Medium I just need to decide on stem, though I understand I can change this later (but involves re-cabling).
Is it okay to be in the "pad range" for reach? Am I right to avoid the high stems? Anything else to consider?