Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can someone make a recommendation, considering medium or large. website says medium but bike fitter said large

height 185cm
inseam 91cm
saddle height 807mm
arm pad stack 668mm
arm pad reach 483mm (bottom bracket to back of arm pad)
arm pad reach 525mm (tip of saddle to back of arm pad)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks allot for your advice. I will go for the M frame size!

Keep up the good work!

Bolboot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:
Hello Ian,
I am from Germany and I am looking for my first TT bike.
I have never sat on such a bike and need once a brief assessment of what frame size would fit me quite well. I am looking for the CF Version, because I dont want to spend too much money on my first TT bike.
I am 180cm tall and have a inseam length of 90cm. So I have long legs.
I'm looking at different sellers for sizes 54 - 56 or M-L.
On my Cervelo S3 I ride a 56 with 0mm offset seatpost and 90mm stem.
I have unfortunately no experience to the specifications of pad stack and reach. Is it okay to copy this into the Cervelo thread?
I would be very happy about an answer.

TTBikeNewbie,
Based on your body I think your Pad Y is approximately 650mm and your Pad X is approximately 460mm. You, like many people, can fit on two sizes; a small and a medium Canyon Speedmax CF. It's nice to have options. The small would be my second choice, it will work with the 70mm stem that comes stock on it and you'd need to push the arm pads forward pretty far to find a good spot. The medium is a better bet I think as you are closer to the center of its adjustability.

Ian

Hi Ian,

It's me again. You have already helped me with the new CF model.

Meanwhile I had a bike fitting with which I am not satisfied in retrospect. I find I sit too squat and high, even though I have long legs and a short torso.

How would the fit be with the old CF or CF SLX? I think also size M, right? With a well adjustable cockpit.

I rather think my armpad reach is about 440-460and armpad stack about 660, like you wrote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian
That's another very helpful and comprehensive reply, thank you so much. I hope you don't mind me throwing a curve ball here. I was wondering how much the size recommendations you have given me would change with the rim brake CF rather than the rim CF SLX.
Many thanks
Dicey
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MikeChrz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian: Thanks for your assistance. I would be looking at a Canyon CF either rim or disc.

My data is as follows:
Height = 190.5 cm
Inseam = 88.9 cm
Seat Height = 845 mm
Pad Y = 735mm
Pad X = 400 mm
My current 2009 Orbea Ora tri bike has 175mm crank arms.
Frame stack off of Ora = 518mm and Frame reach = 397 mm.
Thank you.

MikeChrz,
We have a problem here. That Pad Y of 735 and Pad X of 400....that's very unusual, that's an outlier. There are VERY few bikes that can even make those coordinates. That Pad Y speaks to a very big bike and that Pad X can only be achieved by the smallest of bikes. Just to give you an idea of how rare that is... take a look at THIS article that Dan wrote where he tracked the Pad Y and Pad X of Slowtwitch Forum readers and you are even outside of the folks who are outside of the norms. We may have a misunderstanding or a typo?

If you had just given me your height and inseam I would have predicted your Pad Y to be somewhere around 680ish and your Pad X roughly 500. Those coordinates would be a Large in the disc brake Speedmax CF. And an XL in the rim brake CF.

Get back to me here if I've missed something.

Ian

6'3" 35in inseam.
Pad Y 666 and Pad X 514

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
My measurements are:
Seat hight: 73.5
Y: 94-29 = 65
X: 93-19 = 74
Im planning to buy the speedmax CF SLX
I guess, Im between S and M
What you recommend?
Let me know please?

MTRIB,
Uh oh... somethings a miss! These numbers cannot be right. They don't exists on bicycles on Earth made for humans. Can I ask you simply this.. what is your height and inseam?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BummTschack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dear Ian,

currently drooling over a yellow CF Disc.
From my geometry calculations I'd probably be able to make size M or L work, but your feedback would be appreciated:
Pad X 475 mm (back of the pad)
Pad Y 696 mm
Pad tilt 13%
(Seatheight 833 mm)
(Setback 30 mm)

Would be great to have roughly 20 mm X/Y wiggle-room for future fit improvements in each direction.

Things I couldn't figure out yet:
- Does the minimum pad stack in Canyons geometry table include cutting the steerer tube and removing the default 25mm spacer?
- Some pages ago it was mentioned to have frontbrake cable running internally with a different FSA compression plug. Are there more details on the installation process, iE any dremel-action?
- Do the Profile Design Race injected armrests allow you to go narrower with pads compared to the stock armrests?
Thank you & great to have this kind of experienced online fit assistance.

BummTschack,
Yes, minimum Pad Y is without the 25mm spacer.
You can remove the stock Canyon stem and put on lots of stuff - FSA (I've never done that one so I don't know the deets on that). You can put on a Profile-Design Ariea Ultimate (I've done this on my rim brake Speedmax). I'm quite certain that you can put a Tri Rig Alpha One. There's prolly a few others too. But I can tell you this FOR SURE you're gonna have to modify some stuff and I URGE you to get the stock bike, get the front end fit perfectly and see how clean you can get the front end before you go altering stuff. It just never works as well as the stock. Also, I'm teaching fit school right now at Slowtwitch HQ and have brought up your question to two respectable, knowledgeable fitters around me: the proper compression plug on a bit is not a trivial thing so I'm be very reluctant to swapping out other plugs.
I think the profile arm cups - race, injected, etc. etc. - I think they all yield the same width.

You, like lots of athletes, can fit on two Speedmax CF bikes: a Medium and a Large. And, you're so good on both that.. you'll get all the wiggle room requested. Lemme frame that up..
Medium - you can go 25mm longer and 55mm shorter (so that's your X range). You can also go 15mm higher and 35 lower (so there's your Y range).
Large - you can go ~22mm shorter and ~50mm longer (X range), and you can go 15mm lower, 25mm higher.

Here's why that's great.... availability is tough so take the first available.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [scottcg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
can someone make a recommendation, considering medium or large. website says medium but bike fitter said large

height 185cm
inseam 91cm
saddle height 807mm
arm pad stack 668mm
arm pad reach 483mm (bottom bracket to back of arm pad)
arm pad reach 525mm (tip of saddle to back of arm pad)

scottg,
The someone is me. My name is Ian Murray, I'm a bike fitter and bike fit instructor and I've taken some time to learn as much as I can about the Canyon Speedmax bikes (as it happens I'm also a USAT Elite Coach so some of that seeps into my recommendations when applicable), and I'm here to help you find the best Canyon Speedmax for you.

I'm sorry you're getting confusing/conflicting info about this bike. I hope I can clear things up.

If you got fit by a fitter who is educated and experienced in the triathlon position and used a dynamic fit bike to prescribe your coordinates than I'm ready to act with just your Pad Y 668 and Pad X 483 and seat height of 807.

If you're looking at the Speedmax SLX then you're a Large. You can fit on a Medium but you are 100% maxed out in Pad X and you never wanna be 100% maxed out into any position on a new bike unless you are forced (or paid) to ride that bike. On the Large SLX you'd use the short stem, low spacer, and medium extension.

If you're interested in the Speedmax CF then you should get the Medium. You can fit on the Large CF but you have to slam the front end to the very bottom and then that's it, no lower. So the Medium it is, it comes stock with an 80mm stem that'll work perfectly, pads are a bit forward of center and you'll have the 25mm spacer under the stem so the top of the stem will be flush with the top of the top tube storage box.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [TTbikeNewbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Hello Ian,
I am from Germany and I am looking for my first TT bike.
I have never sat on such a bike and need once a brief assessment of what frame size would fit me quite well. I am looking for the CF Version, because I dont want to spend too much money on my first TT bike.
I am 180cm tall and have a inseam length of 90cm. So I have long legs.
I'm looking at different sellers for sizes 54 - 56 or M-L.
On my Cervelo S3 I ride a 56 with 0mm offset seatpost and 90mm stem.
I have unfortunately no experience to the specifications of pad stack and reach. Is it okay to copy this into the Cervelo thread?
I would be very happy about an answer.

TTBikeNewbie,
Based on your body I think your Pad Y is approximately 650mm and your Pad X is approximately 460mm. You, like many people, can fit on two sizes; a small and a medium Canyon Speedmax CF. It's nice to have options. The small would be my second choice, it will work with the 70mm stem that comes stock on it and you'd need to push the arm pads forward pretty far to find a good spot. The medium is a better bet I think as you are closer to the center of its adjustability.

Ian

Hi Ian,

It's me again. You have already helped me with the new CF model.

Meanwhile I had a bike fitting with which I am not satisfied in retrospect. I find I sit too squat and high, even though I have long legs and a short torso.

How would the fit be with the old CF or CF SLX? I think also size M, right? With a well adjustable cockpit.

I rather think my armpad reach is about 440-460and armpad stack about 660, like you wrote.

TTbikeNewbie,
Okay, staying with Pad Y of 660 and Pad X of 450 and now applying that to the rim brake CF and SLX - which has a different geometry.
For the rim brake CF you'd be a Large and you'd be nicely centered with lots of room to find a perfect spot.
For the rim brake SLX - it won't work. That was is very long and low and you simply won't fit on it.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dicey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Ian
I very much appreciate your offer to help.
My height is 175cm and my inseam (crotch to floor) is 80cm
Many thanks
Dicey,
Okay, this is great. Based on what you've given me here plus some hits at your health/fitness/flexibility suggested by your road coordinates... I'd say your Pad Y is roughly 620 and your Pad X (to back of pad) is very near 460.

If you got the rim brake Speedmax SLX... you'd need a size Medium with 25mm of arm pedestal, with the short stem, and an aftermarket item that Canyon sells called a TSP (Team Switch Plate). This bike (rim brake SLX) was sold in the US with the short stem stock and that's what 99% of the bikes out there have on them. You absolutely need the short stem, you need the TSP mounted between the arm cup and the pedestal in a manner that pulls the pads back, and you need the pads back probably 100% or darn close to it.

For this bike (the SLX) you could also try to make this work on a size Small. Here's the caveat: Pad Y of 620 is the absolute max of pad elevation (requires yet another aftermarket item called "high stack flat spring) if you wanted to go up in pad height beyond 620 you could NOT do it, but if you wanted to ride lower that would be easy. You'd still need the short stem on the small and you might still need a TSP.

Hi Ian
That's another very helpful and comprehensive reply, thank you so much. I hope you don't mind me throwing a curve ball here. I was wondering how much the size recommendations you have given me would change with the rim brake CF rather than the rim CF SLX.
Many thanks
Dicey

Dicey,
Okay so.... Pad Y of 620ish and Pad X of ~460 on a rim brake, Canyon Speedmax CF... In this bike you'd need a size large. This comes with a 90mm stem and that will work with ~13mm of spacer under it and the pads 1 hole back from 100% forward.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian
Thank you for your reply which I must admit is quite a surprise since Im not a large in anything and both my Endurace and my Aeroad are small. I was aware that the SLX is long and low but Im amazed that I can fit on a small SLX with the aforementioned pad elevation limitations yet I fit on a large CF. It is very interesting how different the two models are and without your expertise I would never have worked it out. Out of interest could you please let me know if I would get on okay with a medium CF as well? The other curious question I have is that according to the grid way back on page 16 of the forum (cyclenutnz - May 26, 19 3:22) Im out of the recommendation zone with a large (unless Im looking at it wrong). I'd appreciate your thoughts once more?
Many Thanks
Dicey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Im struggling to get the right size bike at canyon. In particular getting info of the frond end. The armpad with is not found on the site and also the handlebar raise. Will there be a difference in geometry if I select the 85 mm stemlengt over the 65 mm. Hope someone can help me selecting my speedmax CF SLX 7 with the mono riser cockpit.

I did a fit for a new tri bike and the numbers are.

Saddle height: 810
Saddle setback: 31
Drop settle to bars: 159
Reach saddle to bars : 872

Extension/grips: 50 degrees up
Extension length (mm): 305
Pad reach (mm): 471
Pad stack (mm): 636
Pad height (mm): 60
Pad offset (mm): 50
Pad Center to Center (mm): 220
Crank length (mm): 165
X : 521
Y: 576
With this data size L should fit me but the aero cockpit is a big question.
Do I need a 85 or 65 mm stem lengt?Aerocockpit lengt M or L?
Pad with possible of 220 mm center to center?
Can the handlebar raise up to 50 degrees so my wrist are in more neutral position.

Hope that someone can help me :)

Bolboot,
I'm here for you baby! Thanks for getting a fit before you purchased (brilliant!) and for writing in with lots of good data. I'm gonna proceed here in terms of a disc brake Canyon Speedmax SLX (if we're talkin' rim brake let me know as that's a whole different geometry and prescription).

You, like many, can fit on two sizes. In this case it's a Large and Medium but the Large puts you in a corner* and the Medium is far better. On that Medium you will need the longer stem**, medium extension, and mid spacer. It will place you in a nice spot where you have room to tweak and adjust fore/aft/up/down to find perfection.

*If you got the Large you'd use the short stem**, medium extension, and you'd be absolutely slammed; the lowest the pads go on a Large is just 1mm lower than your Pad Y of 636. If you're positive that you are riding at the lowest you'll ever be than okay, the Large will work.

**We keep staying "stem" but just so we're clear it's not a stem. It's a cockpit of molded one piece carbon that is the "stem" plus the base bar. If you're buying in the US you get what comes stock (short cockpit) and then you have to a) purchase the longer cockpit and then b) have that installed (keeping in mind that brake lines and whatnot run through the cockpit and into the frame).

"can the handle bar raise up 50 degrees so my wrists are in a more neutral position" - If you mean can the base bar rotate up so that the bull horns/grip at the brake levers can be tilted up the answer is no, that cockpit is fixed. If you mean can the aerobars be tilted the answer is yes but 50 degrees is an unrealistic number - that's beyond preying mantis and almost no one rides at that tilt. The disc brake SLX can be tilted up 3 degree or 6 degrees - and while I've doubled up on those wedges and built a 9 degree tilt that is verboten by Canyon's recommendations and is said to be unsafe. You might also be speaking about the aerobar extension grip itself and for that I can say there's a VERY cool feature where you can adjust the aerobar grips to be pretty much any angle you want (up to something nutty, near vertical, like 80 degrees).

Now for the last note regarding pad width of 220 center to center. The widest the pads will go on the new, disc brake Speedmax SLX is 175mm. Now, I haven't yet done this but I know it's coming soon to my fit studio; I'm gonna have someone, probably a guy with broad shoulders, a swim background, etc who has to go wider. I'm going to take his bike to my local machine shop and ask them to make me a plate that I can bolt on to the bracket and then put the arm pad on top of that out to a width that satisfies. It'll cost probably $30 and I'm gonna have them make five sets for me.

Get back to me here if you have more questions.

Ian

Hey Ian,

Could you explain why you would suggest the 636 in armpad stack is maxing out on the large when the armpad stack for a large size on the website says bottom out in pad stack is 619. In my mind that would mean still some room of 17 mm to go lower?
The pad reach is measured at 471 mm, website canyon reads 463 on a medium so 8 mm too less reach.Even adding the longer stem it would still set him pretty far forward on mounting the pads on the pad holder and making it pretty twitchy handling?

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Last edited by: TRIPRO: Nov 5, 21 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
I've recently gone down the rabbit hole of Pad X/Pad Y when looking at new bike options so this forum looks like a gold mine. Few stats below.

I'm 183cm tall
Pad X (to back of pads) = 430mm, have run it slightly shorter in the past too.
Pad Y = 620-630mm depending on how aggressive I'm feeling

I'm presently looking at a CF8 disc, based on the above I'm thinking I might need to go for a small rather than a medium?
I presently ride a 2016 Cervelo P2 54cm.

Any help much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian
Thank you for your helpful insight.
I'm a female with equal proportion in torso/leg length, looking at the 2021 speedmax CF 7. I don't have a TT bike or aerobars for measuring, I have been racing on my road bike.
Are you able to offer me advice too? Here are some numbers that I hope would help.
Height 171 cm
Inseam 81 cm
Sternal notch 142 cm
Lower arm 33 cm
Upper arm 58.5 cm
Upper leg 56 cm
Lower leg 51 cm
Torso 63.5 cm
Thank you Ian, I would truly value your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Appreciate some advice on size.

Looking to purchase a CF SLX disc.

Find myself on the seam of a Small/Medium.

Height is 179cm

Pad X is 440 to rear of pad (have had it at 430 previously)
Pad Y is 610 to bottom of pad

Seat height is 760

Grateful for advice on best size. Would prefer not to use a long stem if small is best and want to make sure I can use bottle cage bosses on seatpost for Medium (and still have some wiggle room to lower/raise the saddle 5mm or so if required in the future).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, maybe you can help me with sizing a Canyon CF7 Disc.

I’m currently riding a 2010 Planet X Stealth size M. Here in the UK the CF 7 disc is in stock in size S so I’m hoping it may fit me. I’ve taken the dimensions below from my stealth.

Reach 432-435mm
Stack 617-620mm
Current saddle height 755mm
Current cranks 172.5
Height 177.5
Inseam 80-81cm

Thanks in advance for your wisdom on this.
Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
Wondering if you can help with a fit query - I‘m 189cm, inseam 94.6cm, arm length 64.2cm, and currently riding a Felt B14 since 2015. Seat height 847mm, and roughly measured pad y 720mm and x 410mm (to back of pad). I‘m looking at getting a CF SLX 8.0 Disc if/when it becomes available again. Canyon says I need a size L, would you agree?
The other thing I‘m mostly concerned about is am I making too drastic a transition from a relatively comfortable position on the entry-level Felt (s/r ratio of 1.35) to a more aggressive Speedmax (s/r ratio of 1.15)? Or is this evened out with the adjustability of the Speedmax to still give me a comfortable enough fit? I‘m willing to trade a bit of comfort for more speed, and have become a fair bit more competitive in recent years, albeit perhaps not necessarily more flexible (at 46 years of age). I recently did the bike at a local half ironman in 2:18, albeit on a flat course, if that helps in terms of bigger picture.
Thanks heaps in advance!
Folker
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dicey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

My height is 175cm and my inseam (crotch to floor) is 80cm

Dicey,
Okay, this is great. Based on what you've given me here plus some hits at your health/fitness/flexibility suggested by your road coordinates... I'd say your Pad Y is roughly 620 and your Pad X (to back of pad) is very near 460.

If you got the rim brake Speedmax SLX... you'd need a size Medium with 25mm of arm pedestal, with the short stem, and an aftermarket item that Canyon sells called a TSP (Team Switch Plate). This bike (rim brake SLX) was sold in the US with the short stem stock and that's what 99% of the bikes out there have on them. You absolutely need the short stem, you need the TSP mounted between the arm cup and the pedestal in a manner that pulls the pads back, and you need the pads back probably 100% or darn close to it.

For this bike (the SLX) you could also try to make this work on a size Small. Here's the caveat: Pad Y of 620 is the absolute max of pad elevation (requires yet another aftermarket item called "high stack flat spring) if you wanted to go up in pad height beyond 620 you could NOT do it, but if you wanted to ride lower that would be easy. You'd still need the short stem on the small and you might still need a TSP.

Quote:
Hi Ian
Thank you so much for your reply it is very useful food for thought and opens up my options on the second hand market, although a quick look at Canyons sites suggest the TSP might be a challenge to track down. Ive just got a couple of questions. If I needed a TSP for the small size Speedmax SLX would that also be to to pull the pads back or to go in the opposite direction and push them forward?

Quote:
Dicey,

I think you're gonna need the the TSP for either bike and you'll need it for the same reason: to make the cockpit shorter than it'll go with the short stem. I have one left in stock in my fit studio and if you can get one from Canyon by calling them and ordering it then let me know and I'll sell you this set. Keep in mind if you get the small remember you'll need the High Stack Flat spring too (I might have a set of those too). This might require a call to Canyon to see, I doubt such a thing is still on their site.

There's another item that will make or break your fit and it's the saddle. You must be able to ride forward - with your hips nearly over the BB and this typically means a tri specific saddle (Cobb JOF 55 or ISM or some such). If you're comfy riding there on the saddle that comes on the bike - great. If not you must find one that works for you.

Quote:
Hi Ian

Quote:
Dicey,
Okay so.... Pad Y of 620ish and Pad X of ~460 on a rim brake, Canyon Speedmax CF... In this bike you'd need a size large. This comes with a 90mm stem and that will work with ~13mm of spacer under it and the pads 1 hole back from 100% forward.

Quote:
Hi Ian
Thank you for your reply which I must admit is quite a surprise since Im not a large in anything and both my Endurace and my Aeroad are small. I was aware that the SLX is long and low but Im amazed that I can fit on a small SLX with the aforementioned pad elevation limitations yet I fit on a large CF. It is very interesting how different the two models are and without your expertise I would never have worked it out. Out of interest could you please let me know if I would get on okay with a medium CF as well? The other curious question I have is that according to the grid way back on page 16 of the forum (cyclenutnz - May 26, 19 3:22) Im out of the recommendation zone with a large (unless Im looking at it wrong). I'd appreciate your thoughts once more?
Many Thanks

Dicey,
I'm glad you checked back because I made an error and I'm not sure how it happed (I'm gonna keep investigating). Yes, based on the Pad Y of 620 and Pad X of 460 a Medium disc brake CF is a good bet but you'll have to be slammed to make it work. A small might actually be better but you'll be pushed forward to the near maximum. Remember this answer here is a for a Speedmax disc brake CF. Thanks for checking back with me. I'm sorry I errored in that previous prescription. Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Im struggling to get the right size bike at canyon. In particular getting info of the frond end. The armpad with is not found on the site and also the handlebar raise. Will there be a difference in geometry if I select the 85 mm stemlengt over the 65 mm. Hope someone can help me selecting my speedmax CF SLX 7 with the mono riser cockpit.

I did a fit for a new tri bike and the numbers are.

Saddle height: 810
Saddle setback: 31
Drop settle to bars: 159
Reach saddle to bars : 872

Extension/grips: 50 degrees up
Extension length (mm): 305
Pad reach (mm): 471
Pad stack (mm): 636
Pad height (mm): 60
Pad offset (mm): 50
Pad Center to Center (mm): 220
Crank length (mm): 165
X : 521
Y: 576
With this data size L should fit me but the aero cockpit is a big question.
Do I need a 85 or 65 mm stem lengt?Aerocockpit lengt M or L?
Pad with possible of 220 mm center to center?
Can the handlebar raise up to 50 degrees so my wrist are in more neutral position.

Hope that someone can help me :)

Bolboot,
I'm here for you baby! Thanks for getting a fit before you purchased (brilliant!) and for writing in with lots of good data. I'm gonna proceed here in terms of a disc brake Canyon Speedmax SLX (if we're talkin' rim brake let me know as that's a whole different geometry and prescription).

You, like many, can fit on two sizes. In this case it's a Large and Medium but the Large puts you in a corner* and the Medium is far better. On that Medium you will need the longer stem**, medium extension, and mid spacer. It will place you in a nice spot where you have room to tweak and adjust fore/aft/up/down to find perfection.

*If you got the Large you'd use the short stem**, medium extension, and you'd be absolutely slammed; the lowest the pads go on a Large is just 1mm lower than your Pad Y of 636. If you're positive that you are riding at the lowest you'll ever be than okay, the Large will work.

**We keep staying "stem" but just so we're clear it's not a stem. It's a cockpit of molded one piece carbon that is the "stem" plus the base bar. If you're buying in the US you get what comes stock (short cockpit) and then you have to a) purchase the longer cockpit and then b) have that installed (keeping in mind that brake lines and whatnot run through the cockpit and into the frame).

"can the handle bar raise up 50 degrees so my wrists are in a more neutral position" - If you mean can the base bar rotate up so that the bull horns/grip at the brake levers can be tilted up the answer is no, that cockpit is fixed. If you mean can the aerobars be tilted the answer is yes but 50 degrees is an unrealistic number - that's beyond preying mantis and almost no one rides at that tilt. The disc brake SLX can be tilted up 3 degree or 6 degrees - and while I've doubled up on those wedges and built a 9 degree tilt that is verboten by Canyon's recommendations and is said to be unsafe. You might also be speaking about the aerobar extension grip itself and for that I can say there's a VERY cool feature where you can adjust the aerobar grips to be pretty much any angle you want (up to something nutty, near vertical, like 80 degrees).

Now for the last note regarding pad width of 220 center to center. The widest the pads will go on the new, disc brake Speedmax SLX is 175mm. Now, I haven't yet done this but I know it's coming soon to my fit studio; I'm gonna have someone, probably a guy with broad shoulders, a swim background, etc who has to go wider. I'm going to take his bike to my local machine shop and ask them to make me a plate that I can bolt on to the bracket and then put the arm pad on top of that out to a width that satisfies. It'll cost probably $30 and I'm gonna have them make five sets for me.

Get back to me here if you have more questions.

Ian

Hey Ian,

Could you explain why you would suggest the 636 in armpad stack is maxing out on the large when the armpad stack for a large size on the website says bottom out in pad stack is 619. In my mind that would mean still some room of 17 mm to go lower?
The pad reach is measured at 471 mm, website canyon reads 463 on a medium so 8 mm too less reach.Even adding the longer stem it would still set him pretty far forward on mounting the pads on the pad holder and making it pretty twitchy handling?

Jeroen

Jeroen,
My graph is labeled in increments of 20 and it looked to me like the low piont on the XLS was 627ish (too close to your 636) but after some digging I see you're correct the bottom is 619. Thanks for opening my eyes to this. Regarding the medium and Pad X - yes the medium with a short stem gets the pads out to a maximum of 463... or...8mm short of prescribed 471. If/when you switch to the long cockpit that provides another 20mm; Pad X from 463 to 483 so 471 is located in the back half of that extension (8mm back to 463 but 12mm forward to 483). Also, the concept of "twitchy" comes more from a steering extension (stem/bar) being too short. Think of riding a 58cm road bike with a 60mm stem and 70mm reach bar - that's twitchy. Rather than what we might prefer on a bigger road bike something like a 120mm stem and an 80mm reach bar. When you stretch out the steering the thinking is that the bike gets "sluggish" in its steering which we might discourage in a crit bike but want in a triathlon situation where the courses are relatively long and straight. Also, the fork rake, trail and front center of a bike speaks more to that type of handling that stem/bar/pad placement.
Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [malcolmcleland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi there,
I've recently gone down the rabbit hole of Pad X/Pad Y when looking at new bike options so this forum looks like a gold mine. Few stats below.
I'm 183cm tall
Pad X (to back of pads) = 430mm, have run it slightly shorter in the past too.
Pad Y = 620-630mm depending on how aggressive I'm feeling
I'm presently looking at a CF8 disc, based on the above I'm thinking I might need to go for a small rather than a medium?
I presently ride a 2016 Cervelo P2 54cm.
Any help much appreciated!

malcolmclealand,
If you had come to me with no Pad Y and Pad X but just some body measurements I would have put your Pad Y at 630-640 and all would be right in the world. And then I would have put your Pad X at 490 and my confidence in a free and easy universe would come to a screeching halt. I have to wonder why your pads are back at 430 - is it because your 183cm tall but all legs (~34in inseam)? Is it because your riding on a saddle so wrong, so uncomfortable that you are sitting well behind the bottom bracket rather than a bit more over it? Is it because your cranks are 175mm long and you have to crunch up to clear the hip impingement? I have to wonder why you're an outlier? You don't have to answer any of those questions. I just wanted to toss that out there just to entice you into a double check on that number. Let me just answer with what you've given me - which BTW is kinda moot because in both the options below your 430 could move on out to 465 (max X for small) or 495 (max X for medium).

If you rode a size medium Speedmax CF disc - you'd bring the pads back a bit beyond half way and you'd slam the stem/pedestal to the absolute bottom and you'd have your Pad X of 430 and your Pad Y of 630 (but not one mm lower).

If you ride a size small Speedmax CF disc - you'd put the pads dead center, and you'd position 25mm of spacer under the stem and you have your Pad X of 430 and your Pad Y of 630 and you have room to move in all directions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [meccanism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian
Thank you for your helpful insight.
I'm a female with equal proportion in torso/leg length, looking at the 2021 speedmax CF 7. I don't have a TT bike or aerobars for measuring, I have been racing on my road bike.
Are you able to offer me advice too? Here are some numbers that I hope would help.
Height 171 cm
Inseam 81 cm
Sternal notch 142 cm
Lower arm 33 cm
Upper arm 58.5 cm
Upper leg 56 cm
Lower leg 51 cm
Torso 63.5 cm
Thank you Ian, I would truly value your input.

meccanism
So glad you wrote. Yes, I can help. I think... when you're 171cm tall and have an 81cm inseam... that's a bit leggy. Based on that I would place your Pad Y at roughly 620mm and your Pad X at ~450. For the 2021 Speedmax CF disc brake bike you'd be on a size small. That bike comes stock with a 70mm stem and that will work perfectly. You'll want to push the pads 20mm forward of the center hole (that will still leave you with another 18mm to go farther forward if you need to). You'll be on the low side of this bike ~20mm from the bottom so it'll still give you room to move down lower (or much higher in pad elevation too if you need it). The fit is very good with room to move in all directions.

Also, the small comes with 165mm cranks. They might work well for you or you may have a benefit of riding shorter. The bike also comes stock with a Fizik Mistika saddle and that will be make-or-break element of your fit success. If you can ride the front half of saddle in comfort - you're golden. If not you've got to find a saddle that will let you ride forward in comfort.

Get back to me here if you have questions or if I can help further.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [CB77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Appreciate some advice on size.
Looking to purchase a CF SLX disc.
Find myself on the seam of a Small/Medium.
Height is 179cm
Pad X is 440 to rear of pad (have had it at 430 previously)
Pad Y is 610 to bottom of pad
Seat height is 760
Grateful for advice on best size. Would prefer not to use a long stem if small is best and want to make sure I can use bottle cage bosses on seatpost for Medium (and still have some wiggle room to lower/raise the saddle 5mm or so if required in the future).
Thanks in advance for your help.

CB77,
If you're Pad Y is 610 is has to be a Speedmax CF in size small. The medium won't go there. 70mm stem that stock on the bike will work perfectly and the bottle case bosses on the back of the seat post will be available. Small's the bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Dec 30, 21 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [SteveE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, maybe you can help me with sizing a Canyon CF7 Disc.

I’m currently riding a 2010 Planet X Stealth size M. Here in the UK the CF 7 disc is in stock in size S so I’m hoping it may fit me. I’ve taken the dimensions below from my stealth.
Reach 432-435mm
Stack 617-620mm
Current saddle height 755mm
Current cranks 172.5
Height 177.5
Inseam 80-81cm
Thanks in advance for your wisdom on this.
Steve

Steve,
Yes, the Speedmax CF in size small is the right bike
Yes, you've got lots of room to move fore/aft/up with the pads
Yes, you've got another ~12mm to go even lower than the 617 if you so wished
Yes, you should buy this bike!!!!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian,

I’m looking at the SLX disc to upgrade from an SLX rim brake.

Would the advice be the same on the SLX based on its geometry?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: CB77: Nov 25, 21 0:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian. It’s actually now sold out in CF7 guise but is available as a CF8 in both small and medium.

My only concern with the Small is the top tube dimension is stated as 489mm and my current Planet X is about 530mm, does this matter?
Quote Reply

Prev Next