Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian, these are my numbers and I'm looking at the Speedmax CF 8.

Seat height = 751mm
Pad Y = 647mm
Pad X = 442mm

gguerini,
You're perfect on a size small with the 80mm stem that comes stock and the 25mm spacer under the stem. You'll have room to move fore/aft/up/down. You'll also fit on a Medium but it's not as perfect as the small.

Ian

Thank you Ian! Does the 25mm spacer for the stem come stock too?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thank you Ian! Does the 25mm spacer for the stem come stock too?

gguerini,
Yes it does and that spacer places the top of the stem flush with the top of the "bento box" that sits right behind the stem giving you a really sleek look across the front end.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian, I leave you the measures I have taken. Actually I have an Felt IA1 Size 51. I like the Speedmax CF 7 Etap Rival, but I also value the option of the SLX if I see that I can't carry the same settings as on my current bike. Do you think CF would be enough?

700mm Saddle height
PAD Y - 860-265= 595mm
PAR X - 930-460 = 470mm

Thanks you
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I am looking for older 2018 canyon speedmax cf slx 9.0 used bike and there is one in size M available. The previous bikefit is attached.

Juha,
The fit coordinates in the attached look great and are very useful for your fit coordinates but don't help me in the prescription. I need the Pad Y and Pad X from your bike.

If you can, please take the directions from this short video and get back to me. If that's not possible... let me know your overall height.

https://www.youtube.com/...pZa8UIIwrYE&t=3s

Seat high 73cm
Pad x 40cm
Pad y 67cm

The pad is 7cm tall. I have changed stem from this bike from 90 to 110. Even then my elbows are at the edge of pad , so not the center of arm isnt on the when I am riding. My hight is 175cm and inseam 82cm.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Juha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juha wrote:
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I am looking for older 2018 canyon speedmax cf slx 9.0 used bike and there is one in size M available. The previous bikefit is attached.

Juha,
The fit coordinates in the attached look great and are very useful for your fit coordinates but don't help me in the prescription. I need the Pad Y and Pad X from your bike.

If you can, please take the directions from this short video and get back to me. If that's not possible... let me know your overall height.

Seat high 73cm
Pad x 40cm
Pad y 67cm

The pad is 7cm tall. I have changed stem from this bike from 90 to 110. Even then my elbows are at the edge of pad , so not the center of arm isnt on the when I am riding. My hight is 175cm and inseam 82cm.

The pad x is 410 and pad y 675. I think the old bike is a bit small one. With 470 reach the position is more aero and maybe easier to hold. Although the hip angle isnt sustainable. Shorter cranks, adding spacers would help?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [PabloTriinf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian, I leave you the measures I have taken. Actually I have an Felt IA1 Size 51. I like the Speedmax CF 7 Etap Rival, but I also value the option of the SLX if I see that I can't carry the same settings as on my current bike. Do you think CF would be enough?

700mm Saddle height
PAD Y - 860-265= 595mm
PAR X - 930-460 = 470mm

Thanks you

PabloTriinf,

Regarding the Speedmax SLX... the medium is the right bike with the long stem and the short riser. You'll be perfect!

Regarding the Speedmax CF... if you get the small you'll have to go to an extreme corner, the longest and lowest the bike will go is 605-460 so you won't be quite as low or quite as long as your current bike. The medium is too tall for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Juha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Juha,

Seat high 73cm
Pad x 40cm
Pad y 67cm

Juha,
There's a lot of good info in here, thank you for including it all.
The size Medium of the 2018 rim brake Canyon Speedmax SLX will not come up high enough to meet your Pad Y. That bike was VERY long and low. The highest the Pad Y gets on that bike in a Medium is 650mm. You'd need a size Large to get to the 670mm Pad Y and you'd need that Large with 40mm of pedestal under the pads to arrive at 670. In terms of the length none of those bikes (small, m, or large will go as short as 400mm in Pad X).

You have long legs for your height and that means that your Pad Y will be a hair higher and Pad X will be a hair shorter than a guy your same height but one who has shorter legs and a longer torso. If you had ONLY told me your height and inseam I would have guessed your Pad Y to be ~630 and your Pad X to be roughly 450 (and, that can fit on a Medium). This makes me suspicious of your position - perhaps there's something about the equipment or position that keeps you from riding longer and lower. That quesitons I'd ask are these...
1) Were these numbers pulled off of a road bike with clip on aerobars?
2) If it is a triathlon bike with triathlon geometry - what saddle are you using and where are you sitting on that seat?
3) If it's a tri bike - how long are the cranks?

Let me know, let's keep investigating this - a Medium, 2018/rim brake Speedmax SLX might still work.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, there seems to be an inconsistency on the website.

With stock stem but no 25mm spacer my top-of-pad stack on a XL CF8 (non-Di2 with subsonic bracket) is 665mm. The website lists a minimum of 693mm.

The Di2 version also lists 693mm as minimum stack despite having a taller cockpit, so the website is off for at least one of these bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

Juha,

Seat high 73cm
Pad x 40cm
Pad y 67cm

Juha,
The size Medium of the 2018 rim brake Canyon Speedmax SLX will not come up high enough to meet your Pad Y. That bike was VERY long and low. The highest the Pad Y gets on that bike in a Medium is 650mm. You'd need a size Large to get to the 670mm Pad Y and you'd need that Large with 40mm of pedestal under the pads to arrive at 670. In terms of the length none of those bikes (small, m, or large will go as short as 400mm in Pad X).

You have long legs for your height and that means that your Pad Y will be a hair higher and Pad X will be a hair shorter than a guy your same height but one who has shorter legs and a longer torso. If you had ONLY told me your height and inseam I would have guessed your Pad Y to be ~630 and your Pad X to be roughly 450 (and, that can fit on a Medium). This makes me suspicious of your position - perhaps there's something about the equipment or position that keeps you from riding longer and lower. That quesitons I'd ask are these...
2) If it is a triathlon bike with triathlon geometry - what saddle are you using and where are you sitting on that seat?

Let me know, let's keep investigating this - a Medium, 2018/rim brake Speedmax SLX might still work.

Ian

1) That is 2015 Felt B16, size 51 (tribike).
2) The saddle is Felt OEM. I have tried other ones but that is the best one. I think I sit more on the back of the seat ( or in the middle). It is hard to stay in the front end.
3) Cranks are 172,5mm now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian. One last question about Speedmax CF 7 in size S.
If i remove the 25mm spacer, and change V21 stem (70mm) by Aeria Ultimate stem (100mm)
The new measures will be
Stack 605-25mm=580
reach 460 + 20mm = 480mm
Rigth?

What do you think about this changes. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

Juha,

Seat high 73cm
Pad x 40cm
Pad y 67cm

Juha,

Ian
1) That is 2015 Felt B16, size 51 (tribike).
2) The saddle is Felt OEM. I have tried other ones but that is the best one. I think I sit more on the back of the seat ( or in the middle). It is hard to stay in the front end.
3) Cranks are 172,5mm now.

Juha,
This explains a lot - that saddle is basically a road saddle and you're sitting towards the back of it for comfort. This puts your hips in a place where you are basically riding a "shallow" seat angle of ~76 degrees. When your hips are back that far then your arm pads have to be up high (Pad Y of 670ish) and back (Pad X of 405ish). When we move into a more comfortable, more powerful, more aerodynamic position... we move the hips forward over the bottom bracket and then the pads move forward and down, forward and down, forward and down - you wind up closer to Pad Y of 630ish and Pad X of 450ish. Comfort is maintained. Power can often increase, AND we get out of the wind a bit more.

That's the natural progression we've been on in the triathlon position for 20 years. That's where we are now. That's how a Canyon Speedmax is designed to work with the human body. HOWEVER that doesn't mean the rim brake Speedmax SLX will work for you, it only suggests that your optimal fit is far closer to 630/450 than it is to 670/405.

The rim brake SLX is (was) a pretty long and low bike and the new disc brake Speedmax bikes are shorter and a bit higher now.

Here are my thoughts based on the info I have now..
1) the best is that we find a great fitter (education, experience, dynamic fit bike) that you can get to so we can really solve/finish this process for you. There will be expense in this process (a day to get to them, maybe $300 for the fit itself, gas, etc) but in the end it's worth it because you'll know EVERYTHING after the fit: the best saddle for you, all your coordinates, and your real Pad Y/Pad X. Then when you buy your next bike you'll know it's right and you'll be comfy and fast on that bike for a decade.
2) you start to play with the position on your current bike by forcing that saddle forward to the max (assuming you'll still sit on the back of it) and progressing the front end out 'n down, out 'n down, out 'n down until you find a spot that feels GREAT. Then we take that new Pad Y and Pad X and see if that rim brake, medium SLX will work.

I can help #1 if you tell me the area in which you live. If I have a fitter there I'll connect you. #2 is a bummer because it takes time to make those changes when you could use that time to actually be riding - but maybe you're game.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not 100% sure but I think this is about a spec move that was made from Sonic to Subersonic. I seem to recall a post on this thread from cyclenutnz that spoke to the exact situation. Let me see if I can find it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [PabloTriinf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:

700mm Saddle height
PAD Y - 860-265= 595mm
PAR X - 930-460 = 470mm

Thanks you
PabloTriinf,

Regarding the Speedmax SLX... the medium is the right bike with the long stem and the short riser. You'll be perfect!

Regarding the Speedmax CF... if you get the small you'll have to go to an extreme corner, the longest and lowest the bike will go is 605-460 so you won't be quite as low or quite as long as your current bike. The medium is too tall for you.

Thanks Ian. One last question about Speedmax CF 7 in size S.
If i remove the 25mm spacer, and change V21 stem (70mm) by Aeria Ultimate stem (100mm)
The new measures will be
Stack 605-25mm=580
reach 460 + 20mm = 480mm
Rigth?

Pablotriinf,
If you buy a Speedmax CF in size Small.... and you remove the 80mm stem that comes stock on that bike you can put on a longer stem to fix the Pad X. You can simply get a same Canyon stem but in a 90mm length and solve the Pad X. You also can, as you mentioned, get a Profile Design Aeria Ultimate stem and solve the Pad X. HERE's an article that includes that alteration on my bike (it's rim brake but the whole stem change thing still applies). Okay, now this does NOT solve the Pad Y issue on the size small. The rock bottom Pad Y is 605ish and that's with stem slammed. So you'll be ~10mm higher. Now, you could reduce that a bit with aerobar tilt - something you probably want in your fit anyway so let's say you'll be 5mm higher than your suggested 595.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian
Im in the market for a second hand rim brake Speedmax. Funds are tight so I can't have a TT specific bike fit at the moment but I have attached last years bike fit for my Road bike. Canyons site suggests a Small but these are much harder to find on the second hand market so Im wondering if I could get away with a medium?
Thank you in advance for your advice
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dicey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Speedmax is a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All TT bikes are allowed in triathlons but not all tri bikes are allowed in TTs. But you probably knew this...
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thnaks for your swift response. Yes Im aware of the fact that the Speedmax is a TT bike. I don't understand why you are pointing this out?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dicey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said:

"Im in the market for a second hand rim brake Speedmax"

and

"Funds are tight so I can't have a TT specific bike fit at the moment"

Those statements seem to be contradictory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hiya
There seems to be some confusion here. Im looking to buy a Rim brake Speedmax bike. However Im not planning to pay for a bike fit at the moment. A bike fit is a session with a professional bike fitter to ensure you have the best position on your bike.
Last year I had a bike fit when I bought a road bike and I assumed that the report would provide you with the information you require to advise on sizing for a Speedmax TT bike, although I appreciate that may not be possible and a specific TT bike fit would be required.
Are you able to help?
Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks for taking the time on the thread. I tend to ride very long and low (on a Canyon SLX from 2017, size L, right now, but with extra adapter to push the reach).

Saddle height: 81 cm
Pad Y: 92-27.5 = 64.5 cm
Pad X: 99-43.5 = 55.5 cm

What are the options on the new disc brake version (SLX)? From Canyon website I'm confused as the L seems to short and the XL too high...

Best
Jc

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [jcbesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah they are short and tall now, unfortunately. I ended up getting the XL CF and putting a 111mm Syntace Flatforce stem to get longer and lower: 652mm top of pad stack, 540mm to back of pad reach. Is that close enough?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That gets close, yes, but I am looking for a fully integrated bike. If the SLX cannot fit me, then I'd look at other brands most likely...

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [jcbesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If 555mm is back of pad reach, good luck. I'm pretty sure only the Plasma 6 will get you there. Since that's $7000 for a frameset, I went to the non integrated CF. Coming from a P5. If the Plasma is in your budget, awesome! Otherwise you'll have to decide whether integration is more important than fit. With a little work (cockpit/stem/compression plug change) you can hide all the cables on a Speedmax CF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A road bike fit doesn't help with getting you to a TT bike fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it's to back of pad (or to be precise, where I want the back of pad to be. My trick solution now is to have long tririg pads, and long extensions, and place my elbow halfway to the front of the pad...)

I would love the Scott plasma, but was hoping to find something a little cheaper ;)

Quote Reply

Prev Next