Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asking an ST newcomer to post a photo is a tall order. many veterans would find your proof production daunting
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. In that case he can send it to me and I'll post it lol
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say Mikal the poster is at the very least Norwegian. He made a small spelling error (“athlet”) which corresponds with Norwegian word “atlet”.

Hence I believe it’s really Kristian Blummenfelt fucking with us.

(Just kidding. It’s Gustav Iden fucking with us).

(Again, jk)

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
I say Mikal the poster is at the very least Norwegian. He made a small spelling error (“athlet”) which corresponds with Norwegian word “atlet”.

(Again, jk)

It’s Talbot Fucking with us lol.
Or maybe Cam. Ya definitely Cam
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Mikal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to ST Mikal.
Here you will get a lot of good advice and constructive feedback.
They sure love Norwegians also.

I am hoping you will keep doing the podcast.
It is nice to get inside knowledge.

Åsane rules
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Does he currently coach Gustav? If so I don't see any upside to him taking on Lionel. Unless Gustav is truly that unconcerned by Lionel...

Gustav is a short course athlet. Lionel long course. No big conflict here. There are a lots of coaches coaching competitors.

Does Gustav have intentions of do Kona or IM World championships? If so I would assume he's in it to win it .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your seat is too high.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:

(Again, jk)

Lionel was right. Nobody on ST knows sh!t. Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Plantlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was "f*ck @ll".............

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Does he currently coach Gustav? If so I don't see any upside to him taking on Lionel. Unless Gustav is truly that unconcerned by Lionel...

Gustav is a short course athlet. Lionel long course. No big conflict here. There are a lots of coaches coaching competitors.

Does Gustav have intentions of do Kona or IM World championships? If so I would assume he's in it to win it .

But at the end of the day why would gustav have a problem with that ,since he trains with the current Olympic champion for many many years now....
Some people are worried to train with the best some are not and clearly gustsv is ok to train with the best. There is nothing good or bad about it depends on the athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
Any idea if there are interviews or podcast episodes with Gustav Iden's brother? (any podcast, unrelated to Lionel) I would love to hear about his coaching philosophy.

If you understand norwegian you can give "skifesonen" a go. Mikal speaks quite freely about anything and everything. I think it will be a great match for Lionel. Imagine Lionel doing 430w and Mikal looking at him unimpressed going "the session has started, Lionel, start pushing".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mikal wrote:
Quinny98 wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Is this from the horse's mouth?

User just registered today and made 2 posts. Both on Iden topics.
Could be, or could be someone being funny

In that case, how do I prove i’m Mikal Iden?

You can tell us what the weather was like at Stavanger Triathlon Oly distance in 2020 :D

Or on the Norseman training camp in 2020 :D
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Kalmarian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kalmarian wrote:
piratetri wrote:
Any idea if there are interviews or podcast episodes with Gustav Iden's brother? (any podcast, unrelated to Lionel) I would love to hear about his coaching philosophy.

If you understand norwegian you can give "skifesonen" a go. Mikal speaks quite freely about anything and everything. I think it will be a great match for Lionel. Imagine Lionel doing 430w and Mikal looking at him unimpressed going "the session has started, Lionel, start pushing".

"skiftesonen"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mikal wrote:
Quinny98 wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Mikal wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Is this from the horse's mouth?

User just registered today and made 2 posts. Both on Iden topics.
Could be, or could be someone being funny

In that case, how do I prove i’m Mikal Iden?

Hello Mikal

Do you plan to train Lionel the same way Arild Tveiten train the norvegian Olympic team (with a lot of success !), i.e. what he described 2 years ago in this forum :

very high volume (35 to 38 hours)
85% below LT1 (he mentionned around 1mmol lactate/L)
15% around sweet-spot / LT2 (he mentionned around 2.5 mmol Lactate/L)
very very little volume at FTP and above

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The following i could be able to say before starting with Lionel: He definitely has a big talent, but what we all could have seen on his YT, the training he has done the last year is not a success for IM.

We only had 3-4weeks of working together before Chattanooga. That is a very short time adjusting to a new system, and let alone prepare for an IM.

For 70.3 i would say the Norwegian team has a good idea on how to prepare/train. Also for ITU racing. For IM we have less experience. Our training is very much dynamic a would say. Intensity and intensity control determined by metabolic testing. Not like traditional periodization. As of now the biggest difference in training will come in the last block towards a competition. For IM Lt1 is more important, ITU Lt2 and Vo2max. The systems effect each other. There is a reason that a normal IM athlet dont do short corse and vice versa. The art is how to effect the qualities you need for the race you´re doing.

Gustav can confirm my identity. Gustav has not been angry since he was 12 years, I´m dyslectic and I´m not the joker he is. The weather on Stavanger tri 2020 was rainy, what we get in Bergen 200days a year :)
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not saying these % are not a good idea but it makes it sounds like the a triathlete is walking and hanging out most of the time.

so 36 hr of actual training in a week.

Z1 - 30.6 hr of a top guy swimming 1:30-1:35 per 100 m. biking 2.7-3.4 watts per kg, running 4:15-4:30 per km.
z2 ish - 4.4 hr swim 1:20-1:30 per 100m , biking 3.4-4+ watts per kg, running 3:40-4:15 per km.
z2+ 40-60 min swim 1:10- 1:20 per 100 m, Bike 4.5-8 watts per kg, run 2:50-3:40 per km.

that would be if we break it into swim 25% time bike 50% and run 25%
swim 30.6 km + 5 km + 500 m= 36.1 km that week.
bike 535.5 km + 176 km+ 25 km = 736.5 km that week
Run 102 km + 17 km + 5 km = 124 km per week.

It's just that easy folks, haha.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Last edited by: Triathletetoth: Oct 5, 21 15:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your answer, Mikal.

I understand "base" training can be quite similar, with more "oriented" last block depending if the athlete target sprint or Olympic distance, or 70.3, or 140.6.

No doubt recent results indicate Arild and you master Olympic and 70.3 distance fine tuning. Do you plan to coach other IM contenders (Gustav ? Casper Stornes ?)

Also, when Lionel previous coach published his lactate values tested at different speed (youtube videos from testing on the Kona course, if I remember well), I was surprised how low they were. Do you consider Lionel had at this time a lower VLaMax / better fat Oxydation than Gustav or Kristian ? (targeted distance was quite different)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sharp distinction between 140.6 and 70.3 training is interesting. Dan Lorang said in a recent interview that 70.3 training with a 140.6-focused block closer to the race was actually a good choice for most long course athletes (I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it).

Unless of course you mean that Lionel actually did a very low-volume sprint block and Olympic block in the Spring of 2021, which I never really believed, because it was contrary to everything I'd read and heard about pro triathlon training.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Oct 6, 21 3:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mikal wrote:
The following i could be able to say before starting with Lionel: He definitely has a big talent, but what we all could have seen on his YT, the training he has done the last year is not a success for IM.

We only had 3-4weeks of working together before Chattanooga. That is a very short time adjusting to a new system, and let alone prepare for an IM.

For 70.3 i would say the Norwegian team has a good idea on how to prepare/train. Also for ITU racing. For IM we have less experience. Our training is very much dynamic a would say. Intensity and intensity control determined by metabolic testing. Not like traditional periodization. As of now the biggest difference in training will come in the last block towards a competition. For IM Lt1 is more important, ITU Lt2 and Vo2max. The systems effect each other. There is a reason that a normal IM athlet dont do short corse and vice versa. The art is how to effect the qualities you need for the race you´re doing.

Gustav can confirm my identity. Gustav has not been angry since he was 12 years, I´m dyslectic and I´m not the joker he is. The weather on Stavanger tri 2020 was rainy, what we get in Bergen 200days a year :)

The weather in Bergen is definitely rainy :D

A mutual swimming "coach" we know was telling us all at a recent race that you are actually the best triathlete in Norway. I wonder if Gustav and Kristian would comment on that.

Was the seemingly more relaxed approach Lionel took in Chattanooga related to working with you? Or was it just a decision he took alone? The tactics definitely seemed something good for him to build on.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
kajet wrote:

(Again, jk)

"Slowtwitch knows f*ck all" and "Coach, go ahead and join Slowtwitch to interact with the posters and talk about me on there" don't really go together well.

I am amazed that people are going along with this.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
Quinny98 wrote:
kajet wrote:

(Again, jk)

"Slowtwitch knows f*ck all" and "Coach, go ahead and join Slowtwitch to interact with the posters and talk about me on there" don't really go together well.

Way would people make a fake account and only write the boring stuff I have done so far? 😅

I’ll been thinking about joint here for a long time. I was sick, Facebook and Instagram was down so I was bored. There was some interesting post about Gustav, not Lionel. So way not try deep my feet in the ST community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mikal wrote:
mkq wrote:
Quinny98 wrote:
kajet wrote:

(Again, jk)

Way would people make a fake account and only write the boring stuff I have done so far? 😅

I’ll been thinking about joint here for a long time. I was sick, Facebook and Instagram was down so I was bored. There was some interesting post about Gustav, not Lionel. So way not try deep my feet in the ST community.

If this is a troll, it is great.

If this is not a troll, it is great.

So.

It is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the topic of your brother. As he transitions to 140.6 what do you see as his weaknesses? Does he have any???
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel’s new coach? [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez - I dunno what to believe! This is great - getting popcorn, wait for me :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think lionel did actually do that. the evidence of the last years show his intelligence really is at that level. he completely mis-understood reverse periodisation and was kidding himself on how the Norwegians, that he was comparing his training to, train. it's been the same story every year with him, crazy new scheme, completely misunderstanding the basics of what he's trying to do.

Gustav certainly has no concerns about being challenged by lionel over half or full distance, even while he's primarily focussed on olympic distance, in terms of allowing someone close to him, to coach lionel. and lionel will serve as good data collection and a good practice run for Mikel, before that group fully focus on long distance in a few years.

as for the comparisons that lionel also likes to do high volume so it will be a good fit - well these guys having been doing their big volumes since they were kids.

i'd be interested to hear if Mikel has actually required lionel to finally submit though, after all past relationships have led to lionel not listening and continuing his same mistakes.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply

Prev Next