Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mccormas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for the input on the old SLX setup and my position (blue kit in case you looked at the other one). I'm curious what the advantage is to the long stem versus the the team switch plate to get that extra reach. The switch plate seemed like the better change to me initially because it allows me to get my more narrow arm pad width and is a much easier change than the new stem, stem cover, and hydration/storage system. Does each one impact the way the bike rides differently? As you can tell, that's my biggest concern with this position and pushing any bike out to its extreme max reach.

mccormas,
If you got the Medium then yes you could get to Pad X 533 with the short stem + TSP.... but to get to 650 on the medium you gotta pack it all in there and max it out - 650 means TSP + "High Stack Flatspring" (and what the word "flatspring" is doing in there I have no idea because it's not flat, it's designed to add 10mm to the height of the pads and there's no aspect of spring at all). The bike performance will be the same with either the longer stem or the TSP - if you are confirmed that you'll not need to go higher than 650 then you can set up a Medium that way and be good to go.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [drmrboss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Ian.

Saddle height= 720
Pad Y= (880-280)= 600
Pad X= (930-560)= 370

(Correction of my inseam length= 770)

drmrboss,

Let me begin with a direct answer to what I assume is your query...
If you wanted to ride a Canyon Speedmax SLX (or CRF - same geometry) it would be an XS with the short cockpit and pads back ~20mm shy of all the way. You'd have room to move up and down to detail that 600 should it ever change.
If you wanted to ride a Canyon Speedmax CF it would be an XS pads back not 100% but close and you're nearly dead center in the Pad Y range.

When someone posts with a clear definition of their Pad Y and Pad X I - typically - take a deep, satisfying breath of relief because it seems to be like they really KNOW their coordinates from some visit to a bike fit professional or some similar process. I'm curious about your notes (880-280) and (930-560) are those from following my video instructions on how to ID the Pad Y/X on your existing bike?

Ian
Thanks Ian, I am interested in speedmax CF 8.0 Disc,
For clarification, your size suggestion is XS.
What do you mean by "pads back not 100% but close and you're nearly dead center in the Pad Y range".

drmrboss,
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. For the Speedmax CF... it's a size XS and the stock stem that comes on it will be fine. The arm pads have many holes in them used for mounting and you'll want to mount them back 1 hole forward of....100% back towards you - that will result in your proper cockpit distance. The pad height (Pad Y) is dead center in the range of this bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Kojobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks again Ian. Might I be so bold as to ask if you were pushed to recommend a size in the cf 8 Di2 disc for someone of my height and inseam measurements, would it be the S of the M?

Kojobo,
I went and ran the numbers again and sat staring at your X so perfectly placed in both the Small and the Medium CF. I tried to think of a reason, a way, a justification for why I might lean towards one size or the other. After all the pontification about the front end the spacers, the pad position - I simply couldn't decide based on that. So, screw it, I like the aesthetic of a longer seat post - so I'd pick the small. There you have it!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [drmrboss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian,
One more question. What size of stem speedmax CF 8.0 XS size come with? ( I see 65, 80, 85 stems in accessories). I am assuming it comes with 65mm stem and I have option to chage longer stems in case things did not do well.

drmrboss,
The XS will come with a 70mm stem, it's the shortest stem that Canyon makes for the CF. With reference to your Pad X (370) that stem will allow you to shorten the cockpit 12mm or lengthen the cockpit 68mm. That's a lot of range.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian, not sure if this is straight forward or not, but if I am squarely in the LARGE for the last gen CF SLX (last years rim brake model), is it safe to assume I am good to go with the LARGE in the new CF SLX (disc version)? Appreciate it.

Ray,
Great Question!!!
First... let's look a the range of your rim brake CF size Large the Pad Y (pad height) could span 607-694 and the Pad X (cockpit distance) could span 443-468 (this is the back of the pad so we can compare apples to apples with the new disc brake CF).
Now...let's look at the rage of the new disc brake CF, still size Large: Pad Y range 662-760 and Pad X range 448-528

The cockpit of your rim back CF is covered - the new bike will do everything the old one did and go a hair longer too. The pad height will not go quite as low on the new bike but will go higher.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi,
I do not have a fit problem, I have "can't find a bike" problem. A month ago I sold my Speedmax (top model from 2018, rim brakes) in order to buy a new one. Of course I know that all of CFR's are out of stock, but does any of knows when it will available? At least month, period of year....somethin :)
Thanks in advance for any info

bojan,
I'm so sorry. I don't have an answer to your question. Today, when I looked at the Canyon site for the CFR it gives no ETA on the the small and medium and for the size Large it says "winter" and for the XL it says ETA November 1-12.I wish I had some info on this but alas, since I'm a fitter, I'll just celebrate that you don't have a fit problem. Good on ya!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Johri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian, thanks in advance for all the help you've provided on this forum already.

Unfortunately I don't have coordinates from a former tri bike but I hope you can provide some help anyways.
I'm 189cm / 6'2" tall with a 91cm / 35.8" inseam.
My current bike has a reversible seatpost, which would get me closer to the tri fit, were it not that the saddle height is already maxed out so I can move forward but not up.
I was able to test ride a Cervelo P-Series in size 56 in a bike shop nearby and that already felt much better than my road bike with clip on bars.
The Speedmax CF seems like a much more interesting package overall to me though, so I'm wondering if you can help me figure out what sizing could work.

The P-Series I test rode had quite a bit of exposed seatpost, the saddle was set to 80cm (from BB) and could maybe have gone a little bit higher.
The pads felt best in the most middle position in all directions, so middle fore/aft and middle sideways. Unfortunately the cup had an annoying edge that was messing with my arm near my elbows but that's probably just a pad that doesn't agree with my arms very much.

Position wise it actually felt pretty comfortable without finetuning much so that gives me good hope I can actually get a good fit on the 56 P-Series.
If I do some naive comparison based on the size charts, which probably is not the smartest thing to do, I think I'd end up with a Medium Speedmax CF disc? Medium feels a bit weird though as I happily fit my Grizl in Large.
It seems like the disc models of the Speedmax CF range are quite a bit bigger at the same size than the previous rim brake models.

Hope you can help out, if I can provide any more info then please let me know! :)

Johri,
Let me say this first - the position your ride on your road bike is (even with the reversible post) probably very different from your optimal TT position. Also, forget the old sizing (56, 58, 60, etc) - most bikes are going with T-shirt sizes now away (SM, Med, LG). As an example QR sizes their bikes by frame stack height (brilliant and deceiving) - you'd fit on a 54. However a tri bike "titles" it's size, what matters first and foremost is the Pad Y and Pad X. That's the determiner.

Based on your morphology I'd put your Pad Y near to 675-685mm and your Pad X around 490-500mm. For the Canyon Speedmax CF you have two options and now-a-days two options is GREAT because bikes are hard to come by...
If you got a size Large with the 90mm stem that comes stock you'd fit nicely with lots of room to move fore-n-aft to detail the cockpit. The pad height on the large bottoms out around 660 - I'm thinkin' you're around 680 so there's some room to go lower but not a ton.
If you got a size Medium with the 80mm stem that comes stock - the pad height would be great, right in the middle with room to go up and down for perfect but I'm worried the cockpit would be too short (max is 495) - if that were the case... you could acquire a 90mm stem from Canyon to get the length needed.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Johri,
Let me say this first - the position your ride on your road bike is (even with the reversible post) probably very different from your optimal TT position. Also, forget the old sizing (56, 58, 60, etc) - most bikes are going with T-shirt sizes now away (SM, Med, LG). As an example QR sizes their bikes by frame stack height (brilliant and deceiving) - you'd fit on a 54. However a tri bike "titles" it's size, what matters first and foremost is the Pad Y and Pad X. That's the determiner.

Based on your morphology I'd put your Pad Y near to 675-685mm and your Pad X around 490-500mm. For the Canyon Speedmax CF you have two options and now-a-days two options is GREAT because bikes are hard to come by...
If you got a size Large with the 90mm stem that comes stock you'd fit nicely with lots of room to move fore-n-aft to detail the cockpit. The pad height on the large bottoms out around 660 - I'm thinkin' you're around 680 so there's some room to go lower but not a ton.
If you got a size Medium with the 80mm stem that comes stock - the pad height would be great, right in the middle with room to go up and down for perfect but I'm worried the cockpit would be too short (max is 495) - if that were the case... you could acquire a 90mm stem from Canyon to get the length needed.

Ian

Hey Ian, thanks for your already very detailed reply. I already noticed on the Cervelo I test ride the difference a properly located saddle can make, it already immediately felt much better in the hip angle.

To follow up on your advice, if I can bring these 2 things into the equation:
- on my road bikes so far I would say I more often experience the reach is slightly too long than the stack being too much to handle; my torso was measured at 653mm with arms at 615mm in a past bikefit. I'm not entirely sure if I have a 'weird' inseam/torso/arms ratio but perhaps it could lean into tall and short; does that make the reach of the medium less of a concern? Is the reach adaptable in other ways than the longer stem as well, e.g. different cockpit/pads/bars?
- if I am interested in shorter cranks so that I won't have to bring my knees as far up as on 175mm, would you guess I have ample seat height playing field on a medium if my road saddle height is ~805mm?

Does either of the two points change your advice at all? Really appreciate your time so far and I'll definitely check in with what I end up deciding and if I purchase one, how it ends up fitting! Luckily both sizes are available in the snazzy yellow from what I can see so perhaps I can already get it and myself set up on the trainer for the coming autumn/winter :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Thank you so much for your time. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:) :)
no I don’t. That would be my third Speedmax, and so far all was good. Thanks a lot, I’ll will keep on waiting, luckily season is more less over

Bojan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Johri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

Johri,

Ian
Hey Ian, thanks for your already very detailed reply. I already noticed on the Cervelo I test ride the difference a properly located saddle can make, it already immediately felt much better in the hip angle.

To follow up on your advice, if I can bring these 2 things into the equation:
- on my road bikes so far I would say I more often experience the reach is slightly too long than the stack being too much to handle; my torso was measured at 653mm with arms at 615mm in a past bikefit. I'm not entirely sure if I have a 'weird' inseam/torso/arms ratio but perhaps it could lean into tall and short; does that make the reach of the medium less of a concern? Is the reach adaptable in other ways than the longer stem as well, e.g. different cockpit/pads/bars?
- if I am interested in shorter cranks so that I won't have to bring my knees as far up as on 175mm, would you guess I have ample seat height playing field on a medium if my road saddle height is ~805mm?

Does either of the two points change your advice at all? Really appreciate your time so far and I'll definitely check in with what I end up deciding and if I purchase one, how it ends up fitting! Luckily both sizes are available in the snazzy yellow from what I can see so perhaps I can already get it and myself set up on the trainer for the coming autumn/winter :)

Johri,
If (and remember this is a legit "if" because we've never met, you haven't been in my fit studio or any fit studio for a tri pre-fit) if your Pad X is around 495 then the Medium will make it. If your Pad X is 500 then the medium will be too short unless you switch to a 90mm stem. A tri bike's cockpit length is made up of just a couple of things: 1) frame reach, 2) stem length, and 3) pad push. The medium frame reach is 420, stem length is 80mm, pads get pushed to the max and you get 495. There's no way to increase that without switching to a 90mm stem.

As to crank length - both bikes will meet your existing seat height now if you choose to stay with long cranks (don't do it) or move to shorter cranks (please do it) that will result in a higher seat height.

If both bikes are available the the large. It will fit you well with all the stock bits that come on the front end of the bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at CF SLX 8.0

Stack = 640
Reach = 470

5 7 in height.

Can I make a Small work with some spacers?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [trianddata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Trianddata,
Please watch his video and get
1. Saddle height
2. Pad X
3.Pad Y

Ian will need these measurements before he can assist you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you drmrboss.

Measurements following protocol in video

Seat height = 715mm
Pad Y = 630mm
Pad X = 448mm
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [trianddata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
We want to buy a Speedmax SLX disc for my wife. Its her first tri bike, so I dont have a Pad X and Y.
She is 158 cm with an inseam of 77cm and a forearm length of 30 cm.
Which sizes would fit?
XS? The website has contradictive information on whether it comes with 650B wheels or not. If so, is it 700c compatible, which would be important?
Or would she fit on the S with the seatpost pretty much all the way in? Reach and stack might be a problem then.
I hope you can bring some light into this.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Voodoo90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Voodoo90 wrote:
Hi,
We want to buy a Speedmax SLX disc for my wife. Its her first tri bike, so I dont have a Pad X and Y.
She is 158 cm with an inseam of 77cm and a forearm length of 30 cm.
Which sizes would fit?
XS? The website has contradictive information on whether it comes with 650B wheels or not. If so, is it 700c compatible, which would be important?
Or would she fit on the S with the seatpost pretty much all the way in? Reach and stack might be a problem then.
I hope you can bring some light into this.

XS come with 650B or 27.5" ( you can see on components tab)
Last edited by: drmrboss: Oct 8, 21 2:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you drmrboss.

Measurements following protocol in video

Seat height = 715mm
Pad Y = 630mm
Pad X = 448mm

trianddata,

These numbers are sooo much better. Size small Speedmax SLX disc with long stem and mid spacer. It'll be great!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am looking for older 2018 canyon speedmax cf slx 9.0 used bike and there is one in size M available. The previous bikefit is attached.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian - What about CF SLX 8.0. Would Small also work? I am thinking fit might be different on this model thats in closeout.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, these are my numbers and I'm looking at the Speedmax CF 8.

Seat height = 751mm
Pad Y = 647mm
Pad X = 442mm

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Juha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi, I am looking for older 2018 canyon speedmax cf slx 9.0 used bike and there is one in size M available. The previous bikefit is attached.

Juha,
The fit coordinates in the attached look great and are very useful for your fit coordinates but don't help me in the prescription. I need the Pad Y and Pad X from your bike.

If you can, please take the directions from this short video and get back to me. If that's not possible... let me know your overall height.

https://www.youtube.com/...pZa8UIIwrYE&t=3s

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, these are my numbers and I'm looking at the Speedmax CF 8.

Seat height = 751mm
Pad Y = 647mm
Pad X = 442mm

gguerini,
You're perfect on a size small with the 80mm stem that comes stock and the 25mm spacer under the stem. You'll have room to move fore/aft/up/down. You'll also fit on a Medium but it's not as perfect as the small.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian - What about CF SLX 8.0. Would Small also work? I am thinking fit might be different on this model thats in closeout.

trianddata,
This can be confusing and I'm sorry for the vagaries. In my mind we can, at this time, talk about 4 versions of the Canyon Speedmax:
1) Rim Brake CF - this is a "moral bike" (real stem) it was offered 2019 and earlier. It's the less expensive tri/tt bike.
2) Rim Brake SLX - this is the "super bike" (OEM stem) it too was offered 2019 and earlier. It's the sexier tri/tt bike.
3) Disc Brake CF - this was new in 2020 has sort of a real stem on it - less expensive version of the tri bike.
4) Disc Brake SLX - this is the sharpest of the cutting-edge of the Speedmax (CFR falls into this same category).

When you inquire about an SLX in closeout... that makes me think it's a rim brake bike, yes?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian - Yes - the rim brake option. It appears to be no longer in stock now, though.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/outlet-bikes/road-bikes/speedmax-cf-slx-8.0-sl/50009218.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian - Yes - the rim brake option. It appears to be no longer in stock now, though.

trianddata,
That bike (rim brake SLX) was long and low... you'd have to have a size Medium with 35mm of arm pad pedestal. You'd need the short stem that came stock on the bike and then you'd need a Canyon aftermarket item called a TSP (Team Switch Plate) to pull the pads back to 448 (which, just so happens to be the shortest that bike will go).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next