Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a question:

Does anyone have a link to the city of SD Tourism board/department?

I'd like to write them and tell them that this is very bad publicity for SD tourism, since quite a few people visiting the area would probably be on a bike (and be it only on the boardwalk).

I'd like to tell them that I got some questions from people who are concerned visiting SD because of the fact that there is a local radiostation that actively contributes to an hostile/negative athmosphere towards cyclists by constantly targeting/ridiculing them (it really doesn't matter if it is satyrical or not in this context).

I.M.O. this sheds a negative light on the general friendliness of San Diego citizens / businesses towards active people that would consider visiting SD.

Please feel free to use this line of thought to get some more people involved to help get that guy off the air.

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Last edited by: adrialin: Mar 23, 06 13:51
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of email addresses here:
http://www.sandiego.org/nav/Visitors/Resources/AboutSDCVB

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Re: Local [San Diego] Shock Jock Wants To Make Cyclist a Hood Ornament [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent my e-mail to Rick directly and cc the station mgr. Volume is key here.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [tridptri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after listening to one of the segments - ditto
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's a really good idea. Normann Stadler posts here, doesn't he? And doesn't he also train in San Diego all the time? We should ask Normann as a IM winner to send a letter to the city of San Diego Tourism department saying that he feels unsafe and that he considers taking his training elsewhere, just for effect(nobody has to know that it's not true;);))! Certainly would be impressive when such a big name does it, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Local [San Diego] Shock Jock Wants To Make Cyclist a Hood Ornament [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My latest letter to Tracy Johnson at KFMB: Dear sir... Thank you for your prompt response. I must, however, respectfully disagree with your assessment of Mr. Robert's comments. While he might not have encouraged anyone else to make a cyclist their hood ornament, Mr. Roberts very clearly states (in response to a letter he is reading on air), "I want you....I want you as my hood ornament." While it may be that Rick meant this as satirical, that is difficult to believe when for the much of the show Mr. Roberts puts down and insults cyclists, not only for riding 2 abreast, but also for being "Lance wannabes" and for the clothes they wear. This is another one of his comments:
"That little lane over there, that “scootchy one” that’s yours, the other one’s mine and I’m going to use every bit of it Jack, so stay in yours and I’ll stay in mine. Y’know you never want to run into a bicyclist, number one it’ll dent your car, crack your windshield, you never know. You may get home and find one of these little bumblebees is hanging onto your bumper then you gotta take them all the way back to their bicycle. Y’know I hate it when that happens."
It doesn't seem to me with that comment that Mr. Roberts is just railing against cyclists that don't follow the rules of the road, but anyone who dares to be riding in a road without a bike lane. This type of attitude is rampant, and comments like Ricks do nothing to help. The rest of the diatribe is obviously meant to belittle cyclists and what happens when you run into them...that the damage to one's car is far more worrisome than what happens to the cyclist. Again, you probably think of this is as satire...I think its just plain sick. Sincerely, George Raihala My next e-mail is going to be to Ford, letting them know that while they are spending a lot of $ sponsoring IMNA events, one of their dealerships is pissing off a lot cyclists and triathletes by advertising with these ass clowns. Spot

Quote | Reply
you know what's really sad about all of this? Yeah, this guy is a shock jock Howard Stern type on the conservative nutso side, buuuut the big deal is that some drivers will take this to heart and actually head for the cyclist whether in a bike lane or not, or maybe they will just not pay attention to us at all (which is worse IMO) and turn into us, cut us off, etc.

I do like to ride, but lately I've been taking it to the trails on my mt bike and not the roads just because of my close calls and of course reading some of the hits here either fatalities or near fatalities. Sorry, but I don't want to end up in the local hospital or the the morgue for that matter.

After reading the responses from the station director yada-yada. I still think the best bet is to inform the SD transportation and tourism depts. and to flood the sponsers as much as possible with how we all feel about this dude's radio broadcast and that their support for this crap is intolerable.

N~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I have a question:

Does anyone have a link to the city of SD Tourism board/department?

I'd like to write them and tell them that this is very bad publicity for SD tourism, since quite a few people visiting the area would probably be on a bike (and be it only on the boardwalk).

I'd like to tell them that I got some questions from people who are concerned visiting SD because of the fact that there is a local radiostation that actively contributes to an hostile/negative athmosphere towards cyclists by constantly targeting/ridiculing them (it really doesn't matter if it is satyrical or not in this context).

I.M.O. this sheds a negative light on the general friendliness of San Diego citizens / businesses towards active people that would consider visiting SD.

Please feel free to use this line of thought to get some more people involved to help get that guy off the air.[/reply]

I was thinking the exact same thing. Last time I visited San Diego, cycling and running were one of first things on my mind to enjoy about the area - no now. I'll give second thoughts to visiting San Diego again if I have another choice (which is a shame because I really liked it!)

Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [inSANe DIEGO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I just listened to the 4th hour of today's (march 23) show. Gary sent a letter stating (more or less) that he misunderstood that Rick Roberts was using satire. RR wants specific quotes that Gary mis-intrepreted or a full retraction in 24 hours or "we will be in touch".

What a freak'in idiot. I'm not a believer in Karma, but this is an instance where I'd like to be convinced otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BULLY I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!! He's a BULLY!!!!!!

Here's an idea. There has got to be quite a few cyclists in San Diego that own guns or have at least a minor interest in them. Well... In the beginning of April is the Guns of the West Gun Show at Del Mar. Wouldn't it be nice if the place had bunches of cyclists in their "bumble bee" outfits at the gun show? If they drew enough attention to themselves and got media attention, RR and all the drivers that agree with him would hear about it. Questions may run through their heads...
Did they buy guns?
Did they already own guns?
Can they fit a gun in their bumble..er jersey pockets?????????????

Again... Satire and I don't advocate carrying guns when cycling. Unless you're a cop and I ride with at least three.

John
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [inSANe DIEGO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't want to hijack, but this thread may interest you - rather long as I recall

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please take note.
I am NOT trying to start one of those threads again. RR is captain conservative. While I am also semi-conservative, I only mention what I think would get to the mother f**ker and his radical listeners, making them think twice. Thats all. If anyone wants to scheme on some psy-ops, I'm all for it.

Back to the topic. Let's fry Ricky boy.

I noticed Gary made a post as to how he's doing. Let me be the first to say,"We're behind you 100%."

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has nothing to do with political orientation. Dangerous demagogists (turned dictators, turned terrorists) come from either end of the political spectrum. They should not be given a public forum. Luckily he doesn't have the balls to go the whole nine yards. That's why he is stuck at that insignificant station. Doesn't have what it takes for the big leagues....

Who is the worse criminal? The retard who runs down a cyclist or the guy that planted into his mind that he should/could take care of cylists this way?

On the other side I kind of feel sorry for that overweight guy. Seems like a good candidate for heart failure and/or stroke. He wouldn't be the first....

Anyway,

I did write an e-mail to the board of tourism, stating that I have received e-mails from some cycling friends out east who planned to come visit SD and who are now concerend about the public climate in SD (given the incinerating radio broadcasts featured in cycling e-zines). I also mentioned that some of them may be seriously reconsidering their vacation plans.

Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [ethics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTT

John
Quote Reply

Prev Next