Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about tubulars
Quote | Reply
I have a new set of tubular hed 3 wheels and have a question. Since the tubulars are glued, how do you get them off in the event of a flat while riding? What about a spare? Do you preglue?

Thanks,

Dennis
Quote Reply
Removing tubulars [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A glued tubular can be tough to take off when you are tired. I got a flat at IM Lake Placid at mile 106. Fortunately I brought one of those tire levers that you normally use on clinchers. It gave me just the leverage I needed to get the tire off with a minor fuss.

After more than seven hours of hard work though, I didn't have enough strength to pull the new tire on. Fortunately the maintenance wagon came by. He had no problem at all.

Yes, preglue the spare, and prestretch it too. I had stretched mine, but not enough apparently for a mile 106 tire change.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about tubulars [dennisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general when the adreneline is pumping the thing will come right off. I leave a VERY small 2 cm. section directly opposite the valve stem without glue to facilitate getting the process started. I don't put glue on my spares and carry only unstretched spares.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Question about tubulars [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you stretch your spares?

I usually just use an older tire for my spare. That way it has some residual glue and is stretched to fit the wheel. This strategy works well unless you've just gotten your first ever tubular wheels... then you have to wait until next season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah carry a lever, leave an 1/2 inch or so unglued opposite of the valve, and like everything practice makes perfect.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tufo makes some sealant that you squirt in the tube in the event of a puncture. Weight only 20 grams per wheel, but really works. Guy at my LBS swears by the stuff. As for the spare, carry an old tire with some glue on it - just be careful on the downhill turns. Lennard Zinn has a good primer on tubulars in his road bike book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a tyre lever to remove the tyre. I used to not glue a small section, but have abandoned this practise.

As far as pre-glued, I glue the tyre in the manner that I have described, and let it dry. I then use waxed paper (cut in thin strips) to protect the glue from road debris.

As far as a spare goes, buy a cheap tubular tyre (no problem if you're running 700c) or buy a couple more tyres. There are four things I keep extras of: bar tape,C)2 cartriges, tubes for clincher tyres, and tubular tyres. I always have atleast two race-usuable tyres that are prestretched and ready to go. This does not count the retired tyres that go onto the bike for training (as I am switching to tubulars for everything, as soon as I build a road rim- I have tubs on my fixed gear).
Quote Reply
sealants [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doug or anyone,

What is your experience, if any, with sealant? It seems like a good idea even if it's only in your training tires.
Quote Reply
Re: sealants [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used the tufo sealant to try and fix a leak - here is what I found. it (the sealant) seems to hold about 80lbs of pressure. it is enough to get you home or to the finish line but not a good as new fix. I pumped up to the usual 110 or so and got some leaking and then the stuff sealed, but it left a little nub sticking out off the tire. after a few hundred yards that nub tore off and the hissing resumed. I kept stopping and trying to refill, only to keep tearing off the latex nub. Eventually I just kept riding to see what would happen. At around 70 or 80 lbs the tire would seal but there was not so much pressure that the sealant would bulge out and keep getting torn off. I think the sealant is a good emergency fix, but I don't use it as preventive measure. -Andy

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: sealants [andyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom and bunnyman-

I have what is probably a stupid question for you. You glue a spare for a race\ride and don't use it. Even with wax paper, won't the glue dry after a while? Is it like rubber cement and easy to remove from the tire before reapplying?

Thanks,

David
Quote Reply
Re: sealants [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to use Slime years ago and it worked so-so. I just go for it these days. I actually had very few flats in the last 2500 miles of training. I just hope I did not jinx myself. Things can happen...be prepared (the Boy Scouts were on to something, eh?).
Quote Reply
Re: sealants [litherland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubular glue becomes a permanent fixture to the cotton belt. It cannot be removed without great difficulty. It is hard to remove from the rim, even. The glue can become active again. I sometimes stick it to itself to reactivate it. If I feel that it will not stick to a pre-glued rim, I just reapply a VERY small amount.

Remember this- half of making sure the tyre sticks is air pressure. You could almost call tubular glue pessure-activated. Also, it really likes itself and sticks pretty well to itself. You would be amazed at how well it can stick. If the glue is crystallised, then it's time to brush off the old glue and reapply it. That's when you know that it has dried out.
Quote Reply