Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond
Quote | Reply
With Kona be canceled in 2020 and moved again in 2021 to 2022 along with the challenges Ironman has faced staging a world championship event on a small island, would this be the ideal time for WTC to test new options through the pandemic. I think we all agree that Kona is unbeatable in many ways but also very limiting. Seeing what IMO has been a very successful rotation of 70.3 worlds over the past few years would this be a good time to try the same for the full?

Personally I believe this would be a opportunity to try a rotation or new location for 3 years and gauge response.

I think the timing of the event (October) is vital to maintain for consistent and holding a yearly schedule, but that limits the locations a bit during that time of year.

Personally I think having an Ironman in Spain, Australia, other parts of the US (St George), etc would be a welcome change. New course, new challenges, playa in other athletes favors.

Yes Kona would lose a lot and it would be hard to adapt, but I think if any time is right, this is that time.
Last edited by: 907Tri: Sep 16, 21 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next thread on the same topic. But why not repeat what I wrote already: I raced in Kona in 2017 and 2019 and think I would like to do it again. In Hawaii. Like Wimbledon is in Wimbledon.

But why do you want to change? The pandemy can only be an excuse or a vehicle for change, because the pandemy is everywhere, not only in Hawaii. So why don't you like the WC to be helt in Hawaii?
Last edited by: longtrousers: Sep 16, 21 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with Kona is that its hospital is tiny, as is the whole place? Other places have more options in emergency situations (of which there’s always a few when thousands descend on the town).

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This would make it even more likely I will die without getting to race in Kona. 20 plus years of lottery tries and no luck.
Sad for me,
John
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cause I’m open to change and looking elsewhere to see what can happen. The Ironman didn’t start in Kona it was Oahu? The original Kona course has since changed.

So why stay?

Because it’s history?

What if in 60 years we have a new location, new mystique, then Kona is less than half of the history compared to another location.

Olympic change venue, World Cup does, other world championships do. Why not have the world championship of Ironman change?

Wimbledon is a major just like Augusta is, they are not world championship events. Kona is not a major but maybe it can be preserved as that way?

Also it’s not an entirely a balanced world championship event. How many athletes from Europe, Australia, etc versus the US? I feel the US is a bit overrepresented versus Europe for qualifying races/slots/athletes racing.
Last edited by: 907Tri: Sep 16, 21 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Great, can't wait to punch my ticket someday to do the big race in Ohio......(or some other random place, no offense to Ohio....... :) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's nowhere interesting or exciting you can host a February Ironman in North America or Europe for that matter other than the Canary Islands. Anywhere you host it in the next year is going to have covid restrictions and vaccine requirements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Leverage
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

Great, can't wait to punch my ticket someday to do the big race in Ohio......(or some other random place, no offense to Ohio....... :) )

Ohio would be awesome!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

Leverage

And risk mitigation.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would have to be in the US and limited warm weather options in Feb.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

I could see them doing IM Maryland and trying to pitch it as being in the US capital.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think this is just for this February.

I do not want it moved, but if it did, we need to make sure it comes with 3 things.

non- wetsuit swim.
hilly bike course.
hot run.

this is what makes it more then anything a world champ event, not only racing others but also the tougher elements.

Where is that in the US??? Arizona, Vegas, California?

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having a “hot run” is a completely arbitrary requirement - why not get a deal with Norseman’s organizer and do a super cold swim, cold/hot bike and cold uphill run?

Kidding, but yes it’s arbitrary. Lack of great heat/humidity tolerance is a genetic predisposition that eliminates many athletes (PROs included) from having a successful Kona race. This was in fact criticized in the Real Coaching podcast by Joel Filiol and Paulo Sousa a few years back (the “We love Kona, we hate Kona” episode).

Why don’t we focus on those genetic features that just make people faster. Is the St. George course easy?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Sep 16, 21 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what?

I said don't make it easy. The you asked me if St. George is easy. Pick a lane.

Have you raced Kona. If so you understand you prepare more for the course then the other races, which makes is a the location not the fact it is a world championship.

everyone will have a better race course then someone else. humid, hot, cold, hills, flat.

No one shows up in Arizona 2 weeks early to get race ready in the conditions and course.

Only Kona makes you have to do that. Real investment.

I would be in for an all uphill bike, but I wouldn't make it out of a cold swim.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
what?

I said don't make it easy. The you asked me if St. George is easy. Pick a lane.

Have you raced Kona. If so you understand you prepare more for the course then the other races, which makes is a the location not the fact it is a world championship.

everyone will have a better race course then someone else. humid, hot, cold, hills, flat.

No one shows up in Arizona 2 weeks early to get race ready in the conditions and course.

Only Kona makes you have to do that. Real investment.

I would be in for an all uphill bike, but I wouldn't make it out of a cold swim.

I am sorry but if it was a regular Ironman and not the World Championships, people would not show up 2 weeks early to get race ready for the conditions and course. Yes, it is a huge contributing factor that it is the World Championships.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona is Kona. There are intangibles to race week in Kona that you can't reproduce. I'm 6'5" and 210lbs. and always got destroyed by the run in Kona. Terrible, stupid, dangerous place for me to race but I hope the venue never changes. There is simply an energy to the place when everyone gathers for go-time that's unique. Canada had great energy, Wisconsin has great energy but there isn't anything like Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
It would have to be in the US

Why?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aka_finto wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
It would have to be in the US

Why?

Let's be realistic. It WILL be in the US if the have to move it from Hawaii in February. The majority of qualified athletes are America-based and no other country wants the combo of a) adding another huge event to take up resources and thousands of Americans coming to visit at the moment.

When other sports have issues and there are conversations about moving venues, the US is often the only country that could and is willing to realistically do that on short notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in the US is water at least 60 in February? Florida and So Cal? AZ is low 60s in November. St George?

Cozumel feels like the type of venue that would play ball this February
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed if it was a regular IM, losing a bit of time for most wouldn't matter vs time invested going early.

But if worlds was Florida, Tucson, Sacramento. Even though it is a world championship, most could just do a home court simulation. loses all the hype.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - if its a choice between having no WC for another year or doing it in Coz, thats an easy call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
agreed if it was a regular IM, losing a bit of time for most wouldn't matter vs time invested going early.

But if worlds was Florida, Tucson, Sacramento. Even though it is a world championship, most could just do a home court simulation. loses all the hype.

Agreed. I think it may just come down to: "Do you want a World Championship (even a much crappier one for the AGers) or not in 2022?". No venue they pick will make all the athletes who were dying to go to Kona happy.

Long term, I would like to see it stay in Kona but is that truly realistic? I think the pros should be there every year no matter what and then rotate age groups and/or gender on a 2 year basis with the non-Kona group being in another amazing location. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship 2022 Location and beyond [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sasquatch wrote:
Kona is Kona. There are intangibles to race week in Kona that you can't reproduce. I'm 6'5" and 210lbs. and always got destroyed by the run in Kona. Terrible, stupid, dangerous place for me to race but I hope the venue never changes. There is simply an energy to the place when everyone gathers for go-time that's unique. Canada had great energy, Wisconsin has great energy but there isn't anything like Kona.

Agree. If they need to move the IM World Championship one time because of the pandemic I certainly understand. I wouldn't have the same interest in watching, however, because there's so much history on the Kona course for me and seeing the course each year is significant in keeping my interest for 9+ hours. Also, I'd likely not watch the live coverage to avoid giving IM the idea that my viewer interest is the same no matter where the IM World Championship is located.

Of course, I also understand participants and viewers who don't have the same history with Kona or don't have the same affection for Kona and the course having a different opinion regarding rotating the location of the IM World Championship.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 16, 21 19:18
Quote Reply

Prev Next