Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
the electronic build coming with an Aeria Ultimate bracket while the mechanical builds come with the Subsonic bracket.

The choice of subsonic for mechanical builds is to prevent the extensions from being pushed back so far that they hinder the shift cables. Obviously that's not a problem with the electronic cables.
It does mean that Pad Y is a bit lower and less range on Pad X for the mechanical version.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [drmrboss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian,
I am interested in Canyon speedmax 8 CF disc, tribike. My measurements are 168 cm and 81 cm inseam (I am male). According to fit calculator, it suggests Small and geometry looks like stack 519 cm, reach 402 cm for small size.
Current bike is BMC TM02 2013 Tribike small size that fit well for me with geometry, stack - 480 cm, reach -393 cm.
My concern, is Canyon small trike is bigger than BMC geometry and I am thinking about going with XS. (Geometry - stack - 482 cm, reach- 374 cm)
What is your suggestion?.

Nay,

Sorry for the slow reply. We can't size a tri bike by the frame dimensions of Stack and Reach. Those measurements speak to the top of the headtube but the stem (and sometimes I have to say "stem" because now-a-days it's so often a chunk of proprietary thing of odd dimensions), the base bar, the pad clam - all conspire to put those contact points in different locations. So... I'd like to suggest this...

If you like the way your BMC fits - you find it comfortable, you feel powerful, and you think you're pretty slippery through the wind then follow the instructions in this brief video and get back to me here with your Pad Y and Pad X. I'll respond promptly. If, for whatever reason, that's possible let me know and I can make a pretty good guess of your Pad Y and Pad X based on your morphology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I own an earlier model (two pedestal model) and fit well on a medium frame. I am looking at the new Kona Limited edition. Has the sizing changed?
I will look closer at fit coordinates before purchasing, but wondering if you knew off the top of your head.

Karl,
I can answer this but I need a bit more to go on .... Do you own a Speedmax SLX rim brake with the two arm pad pedestals? If so the geometry is different. If you like your position and want to duplicate it. Measure out your Pad Y and Pad X on that current bike (directions in vid link below) and I can tell you what size disc brake SLX Kona Edition - and the exact front end spec' to match it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mccormas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I really appreciate you doing this. Given the challenges with availability, I'm looking at a readily available medium Speedmax CF 8 Disc Di2. I recently had an updated fit session on a size cycle as I change from my primary focus being road racing to triathlon again. I've been out of tri for 10+ years and doing cycling only during that time. I've included both old and new fit numbers. For some reason I can't attach photos or include them in the post. Not sure if they're needed though. I'd appreciate your input on recommended size since the large doesn't seem to go low enough to get me as long as I'd like and the medium would require a 120 stem with pads pushed all the way forward. How would the medium handle in that configuration?
I'm 73" tall with 35" inseam.
New fit:
Saddle Height: 803
Saddle Setback: 56
Back of Pad Reach: 533
Pad Stack: 650
Back of pad to shifter: 400

mccormas,
I'm gonna ignore the UCI legal fit because - thank goodness, we're not restricted to that! There's a game I like to play that tests my formula for predicting Pad Y and Pad X based on morphology. Before I read your coordinates I plugged your body dimensions into my... we'll, I'll call it my "algorithm" because that's a lofty word that gets tossed around a lot today and, as an English major, I don't get to make such a claim often so, now's my chance! My prediction of your Pad Y is only a few mm off. Love it! My prediction of your Pad X is off by roughly the state of Oklahoma - measured the long way! How is a guy who is 6'1" and LEGGY with a 35" inseam riding a Pad X measured to the rear (to back of the pad right?) of 533?!!! I would have expected 480ish... maybe 500 tops.

Okay, no judgement, if you're happy there I'm good with it.

Canyon Speedmax CF (the new one, the disc brake bike) with a Pad Y of 650 and a Pad X of 533. ....
If you get the Medium the Pad Y of 650 is near the center of the bike's range but the Pad X on the medium (with 80mm stem that comes stock) maxes out at ~493. Canyon makes a 90mm stem and that gets you out to 503ish.
If you got a Large in the same bike it maxes out at 527/658 - so too short still (but closer) and too tall by 8mm.
You've clearly already mathed all this out - I'm just expanding on it for clarity.

I'm okay with a 120mm stem on the medium in terms of handling. Triathlon doesn't require us to have the responsiveness of our crit bikes. The things I'm worried about are a) you wont like is the aesthetic of how a off-brand stem doesn't mesh with the lines of the front end and b) that the steer tube clamp bolts of 90% of the normal stems in the world will come in contact with the bento back that sits immediately behind the stem.

If your Pad X to rear is really 533 the best Canyon Speedmax for you was the previous iteration of the SLX - a very long and low bike. If you want me to detail that prescription let me know, I'd be happy to do it.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [sparklehedgehog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi

I’ve just bought a Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 in medium
I’m 180cm tall and my inseam is 86cm
How do you work out pad x and y please?
Am I right in thinking my saddle height should be 93.5cm?
I did 287w today on it for 15 miles in a loop and got 24.4mph in full aero gear so am wondering if my position is horrendous?
Thanks in advance
Total noob
John

John,
You're not a total noob and you proved that with your detailed and advanced explanation of your seat height measurement - taking in to account crank length et all - brilliant!!! In my fit studio I measure seat height from the center of the BB (bottom bracket) and then note crank length separately, but many do it as you do. I can say this... saddle height is probably not the same for both and not because you're running 172.5 cranks on the road ride and 170s on the tri bike. It shouldn't be the same because where you sit on the saddle of your road bike positions your hips well behind the bottom bracket and where you sit on the tri bike puts them much closer to being on top of the bottom bracket so the saddle is typically higher with that tri position. But let's not bogged down in the minutia of saddle height.

In the fit world we need Pad Y and Pad X to prescribe the purchase - There's a few ways to arrive at someone's Pad Y & Pad X (watch this quick vid and I'll speak to them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE). You've got your bike and you're now trying to figure out what your optimal position is - that is exactly what the profession of bike fitting exists!

Here's a bunch of my thoughts in no particular order...
  1. Let me know where you live, if I have a fitter in your area that I know/like/respect - I'll refer.
  2. You're ~5'11" with a 33" inseam - wow, crazy long legs!!! based on your morphology I'd guess that your Pad Y should be ~650mm and your Pad X should be roughly 460ish. If you're anywhere in that ballpark the CF in a Medium is your bike! You could set up your bike there and ride for a while to see how you feel and then tweak from there.
  3. This line here troubles me greatly. "I did 287w today on it for 15 miles in a loop and got 24.4mph in full aero gear so am wondering if my position is horrendous?" Everyone's fit priority should be comfort FIRST! if you're comfy in aero for 20+ min then I like your position. Everyone second priority is the ability to make power. If you're comfy and you feel powerful then I love your position. Everyone's final priority should be low drag. If you're comfy, and powerful, and you just happen to be slipping through the wind - then I think you have a phenomenal position. You can only really know about the drag stuff from the wind tunnel (or some facsimile of that). And if you pony up for that be careful - when an aerodynamicist is driving your position based on drag numbers you could very easily loose priority one and two.
  4. If this is your first tri bike I want to say this - we're talking a lot about where the pads are located. Saddle position comes first and then the pads end up where they end up after you've fond your seat position. And I don't just mean seat height - the saddle set back is CRITICAL. Road saddles are not only set further back behind the BB but you sit farther back away from the nose of those saddles. A tri saddle is farther forward and you very often ride the nose of that saddle.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the help. It's definitely long and as I've been shopping, I've realized it's VERY long fit my stack. I had the fitter at Cyclologic double check since we stretched me out by 8cm. It feels good for me, but it's a new position and I've been riding it mostly on the trainer on my current bike (XXL Transition). I tried it on the road and liked it too. I uploaded a photo to my profile for reference.

I did end up picking up a 58 Cervelo P-series since, with a 100 stem and the Trimax SI 03 bars, it hits that fit dead on just about. I would still be interested to hear on the older SLX because I do like it overall as a package with all the integration and I am considering cancelling the P Series. I was looking at a 2017 size L. I'm guessing team switch plate forward, pads all the way forward gets me pretty close. 85mm stem would get me all the way there. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Some have said it'll be twitchy with me that far forward. Especially compared to the Cervelo. Not sure enough to matter though or enough that it would be tough for me coming from crits, CX, MTB, road racing, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [wispy24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,

Looking to purchase a used 2019 Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 in a Medium size.
My measurements from my FELT B4 road bike with aerobars and a bike fit aiming for a triathlon setup were:
Saddle Height 760mm
Arm pad reach to BB 412mm
Arm pad Stack to BB 718mm
Height is 182cm tall
Inseam 87.25cm

Do you think a medium would fit? I plan to get a proper fit done on it but can't get in for one quick enough before this used bike likely will sell.

wispy24,
I hope this response is timely. Pad Y/Pad X of a road bike with clipons won't speak to a real triathlon position and that's what the Speedmax will give you. Based on your morphology I think your Pad Y is more like 637mm and your Pad X is nearer to 450mm - and that speaks to the longer, lower aspects of a true triathlon position.

So, 2019 Canyon Speedmax CF size Medium is really good for you. The Pad Y of 637 is nicely in the middle with room to move up and down for perfection. I think you'll want to push the pads forward quite a bit and if it's still not long enough keep in mind that that bike came with an 80mm stem and there's a 90 available.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Yes, I have already solved my problem. Just bought the "L" size and stuck with it :D

I have replaced Subsonic bars into Supersonic, there is a small difference in reach (a small improvement for me), bur with 4525 extensions I have now much longer reach till the end of the extensions.

The problem with reach and stack in my case was due to the fact that my fitter tried to be very precise and measured pad and stack till the end of the pad not till the center. That was due to the very misleading diagram on the very Canyon website that shows reach dimension as measured from the center of BB till the rear end of the pads, but the table shows actual dimension till the center of the pads. My fitter was a little bit surprised as the standard is of course measuring BB - pad center, but the Canyon website suggested something different. I confirmed with Canyon (when the bike has already arrived :/) that the diagram is not a technical drawing and I should not rely on it but use the table instead which measure BB - pad center... well... hard to comment on that.

That does not solve the problem with different reach and stack ranges due to different bars for mechanical vs. electronic group sets, that Canyon does not mention on their website.

All in all I changed the bars, changed the cables (I needed longer ones due to longer extensions) and now it looks like being "my size"... and Philippo Ganna's ;) as he is just my height and uses exactly the same distance from the tip of the saddle till the end of extensions (quite a coincidence ;)).

Best regards,
Marcin

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Kojobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,
I'm interested in purchasing a Canyon CF 8 Disc Di2 (or Etap model). I kind of fall between an S and an M in size. The Canyon site recommends size M based on height and inseam measurement (I'm 178cm and inseam is 81cm), but the S measurements also seem to be an option. I currently ride a Felt DA2 size 54 with an armpad reach of 430 (centre of BB to rear edge of armpad) and an armpad stack of 670 (BB to underside of armpad).
I would really appreciate any advice you might be able to offer on this.
Thank you.

Kojobo,
Going with your Pad Y of 670 and Pad X of 430 You can fit on both bikes - which is nice in these times of supply chain issues and delay of availability - it gives you options. I want to also say this.... based on how you're built I would have expected your position to be longer and lower (650/450ish). It makes me wonder stuff like... what saddle are you using, where are you sitting on that saddle and if we brought you forward more would you be more comfortable, more powerful and longer/lower so out of the wind a tough more. Anyway the great news is this... if 650/450ish is a better position for you both the SM and the Medium will meet you there too.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
the electronic build coming with an Aeria Ultimate bracket while the mechanical builds come with the Subsonic bracket.
The choice of subsonic for mechanical builds is to prevent the extensions from being pushed back so far that they hinder the shift cables. Obviously that's not a problem with the electronic cables.
It does mean that Pad Y is a bit lower and less range on Pad X for the mechanical version.

David,
We're lucky to have you on this Forum. Thank you for input alwasy.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mccormas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I appreciate the help. It's definitely long and as I've been shopping, I've realized it's VERY long fit my stack. I had the fitter at Cyclologic double check since we stretched me out by 8cm. It feels good for me, but it's a new position and I've been riding it mostly on the trainer on my current bike (XXL Transition). I tried it on the road and liked it too. I uploaded a photo to my profile for reference.

I did end up picking up a 58 Cervelo P-series since, with a 100 stem and the Trimax SI 03 bars, it hits that fit dead on just about. I would still be interested to hear on the older SLX because I do like it overall as a package with all the integration and I am considering cancelling the P Series. I was looking at a 2017 size L. I'm guessing team switch plate forward, pads all the way forward gets me pretty close. 85mm stem would get me all the way there. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Some have said it'll be twitchy with me that far forward. Especially compared to the Cervelo. Not sure enough to matter though or enough that it would be tough for me coming from crits, CX, MTB, road racing, etc.

mccormas,
Pics help tell the story and position looks good!

If you got a rim brake SLX it would need to be a size Large, with the long stem (85mm), and 20mm of pedestal. That would land you at 650/530 which would probably do it. If you had to nudge out a bit more then the TSP would satisfy but I'd try it with just the long stem first.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [kensei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
All in all I changed the bars, changed the cables (I needed longer ones due to longer extensions) and now it looks like being "my size"... and Philippo Ganna's ;) as he is just my height and uses exactly the same distance from the tip of the saddle till the end of extensions (quite a coincidence ;)).

Marcin,
Love it!! Pippo Ganna is a great reference point. There are two things in this that I've noted here - 1) for everyone else the extensions come too long and it's a huge pain to cut the extensions on a mechanical bike. None of us want to re-cable it so we've invented all these ways around cutting the ends of the shortened extensions so they don't hit the rider's knees - and cutting them without pulling the cable. 2) the whole discussion around measuring Pad X to rear of pad or center of pad has been debated for a while. The Speedmax bikes with rim brakes were measured to the center of the pad and the new disc brake bikes are measured to the rear. There's still confusion over that. The expectation is that the tri & TT bikes will have longer and longer pads - "arm pads" instead of "elbow pads" (we're seeing that already) and to that end the middle of such a long and ever changing length seems silly so the back of the pad should be the standard.

Hope you fly like Gana!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the informed reply Ian. I used to have the front end much lower but a fitter raised it a few years back, probably in consideration of my age (I'm north of 60 now). The saddle on the Felt came as stock (Felt branded) with the DA2 and I sit slightly forward on it when on the aero bars. Good to hear both S and M in the CF 8 Di2 will work.
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian,
Here are the numbers from my current bike fit on my 2 pedestal Canyon Speedmax CF SLX. Rim brake
Pad stack is 680mm
Pad reach is 419
What size frame on new disc brake Kona edition Cf SLX? And I assume the Kona edition is the same as the new CF SLX mono pedestal. It looks like same frame, different color?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input on the old SLX setup and my position (blue kit in case you looked at the other one). I'm curious what the advantage is to the long stem versus the the team switch plate to get that extra reach. The switch plate seemed like the better change to me initially because it allows me to get my more narrow arm pad width and is a much easier change than the new stem, stem cover, and hydration/storage system. Does each one impact the way the bike rides differently? As you can tell, that's my biggest concern with this position and pushing any bike out to its extreme max reach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian.

Saddle height= 720
Pad Y= (880-280)= 600
Pad X= (930-560)= 370

(Correction of my inseam length= 770)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [drmrboss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks Ian.

Saddle height= 720
Pad Y= (880-280)= 600
Pad X= (930-560)= 370

drmrboss,

Let me begin with a direct answer to what I assume is your query...
If you wanted to ride a Canyon Speedmax SLX (or CRF - same geometry) it would be an XS with the short cockpit and pads back ~20mm shy of all the way. You'd have room to move up and down to detail that 600 should it ever change.
If you wanted to ride a Canyon Speedmax CF it would be an XS pads back not 100% but close and you're nearly dead center in the Pad Y range.

When someone posts with a clear definition of their Pad Y and Pad X I - typically - take a deep, satisfying breath of relief because it seems to be like they really KNOW their coordinates from some visit to a bike fit professional or some similar process. I'm curious about your notes (880-280) and (930-560) are those from following my video instructions on how to ID the Pad Y/X on your existing bike?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian, yes those are figures from your video.
Thanks for your size suggestion.
I have plan to order Speedmax 8 CF ultegra 12 speed Di2. ( when available on stock)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Ian.

Saddle height= 720
Pad Y= (880-280)= 600
Pad X= (930-560)= 370

drmrboss,

Let me begin with a direct answer to what I assume is your query...
If you wanted to ride a Canyon Speedmax SLX (or CRF - same geometry) it would be an XS with the short cockpit and pads back ~20mm shy of all the way. You'd have room to move up and down to detail that 600 should it ever change.
If you wanted to ride a Canyon Speedmax CF it would be an XS pads back not 100% but close and you're nearly dead center in the Pad Y range.

When someone posts with a clear definition of their Pad Y and Pad X I - typically - take a deep, satisfying breath of relief because it seems to be like they really KNOW their coordinates from some visit to a bike fit professional or some similar process. I'm curious about your notes (880-280) and (930-560) are those from following my video instructions on how to ID the Pad Y/X on your existing bike?

Ian

Thanks Ian, I am interested in speedmax CF 8.0 Disc,
For clarification, your size suggestion is XS.
What do you mean by "pads back not 100% but close and you're nearly dead center in the Pad Y range".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again Ian. Might I be so bold as to ask if you were pushed to recommend a size in the cf 8 Di2 disc for someone of my height and inseam measurements, would it be the S of the M?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Kojobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,
One more question. What size of stem speedmax CF 8.0 XS size come with? ( I see 65, 80, 85 stems in accessories). I am assuming it comes with 65mm stem and I have option to chage longer stems in case things did not do well.
Last edited by: drmrboss: Sep 22, 21 16:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, not sure if this is straight forward or not, but if I am squarely in the LARGE for the last gen CF SLX (last years rim brake model), is it safe to assume I am good to go with the LARGE in the new CF SLX (disc version)? Appreciate it.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I do not have a fit problem, I have "can't find a bike" problem. A month ago I sold my Speedmax (top model from 2018, rim brakes) in order to buy a new one. Of course I know that all of CFR's are out of stock, but does any of knows when it will available? At least month, period of year....somethin :)

Thanks in advance for any info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, thanks in advance for all the help you've provided on this forum already.

Unfortunately I don't have coordinates from a former tri bike but I hope you can provide some help anyways.
I'm 189cm / 6'2" tall with a 91cm / 35.8" inseam.
My current bike has a reversible seatpost, which would get me closer to the tri fit, were it not that the saddle height is already maxed out so I can move forward but not up.
I was able to test ride a Cervelo P-Series in size 56 in a bike shop nearby and that already felt much better than my road bike with clip on bars.
The Speedmax CF seems like a much more interesting package overall to me though, so I'm wondering if you can help me figure out what sizing could work.

The P-Series I test rode had quite a bit of exposed seatpost, the saddle was set to 80cm (from BB) and could maybe have gone a little bit higher.
The pads felt best in the most middle position in all directions, so middle fore/aft and middle sideways. Unfortunately the cup had an annoying edge that was messing with my arm near my elbows but that's probably just a pad that doesn't agree with my arms very much.

Position wise it actually felt pretty comfortable without finetuning much so that gives me good hope I can actually get a good fit on the 56 P-Series.
If I do some naive comparison based on the size charts, which probably is not the smartest thing to do, I think I'd end up with a Medium Speedmax CF disc? Medium feels a bit weird though as I happily fit my Grizl in Large.
It seems like the disc models of the Speedmax CF range are quite a bit bigger at the same size than the previous rim brake models.

Hope you can help out, if I can provide any more info then please let me know! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian,
Here are the numbers from my current bike fit on my 2 pedestal Canyon Speedmax CF SLX. Rim brake
Pad stack is 680mm
Pad reach is 419
What size frame on new disc brake Kona edition Cf SLX? And I assume the Kona edition is the same as the new CF SLX mono pedestal. It looks like same frame, different color?

Karl,
You're right on the money, the Kona Edition is the same SLX bike just different paint. With 680/419 you're a Medium with the short cockpit that comes stock in the US, a high spacer and pads back ~90%.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next