Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I have to respond to this thread. I have yet to read all all of the posts. Just an FYI, so don't slam me. ;-)

Ok, this Rick guy is lovely, is he not? Nothing like getting people riled up to hit cyclists on purpose no less! He mentioned something in part of his broadcast about riding in the country...whooohaaahaaa! I've almost been clipped 3 times by side mirrors in wine country (away from the wineries by the way) and I've been run off the road by some asshole x1 time. I was riding solo, not 3 deep or 5 deep, so like give me a break. It is dangerous enough out there for us, let alone getting people on the bandwagon to gun for us now with their 2 ton vehicles (or larger if they are wheeling a Hummer).

Yeah, I agree with slowman about giving the sponsors of his program an earful. That is the way to get this guy to at least retract some of his crap spouting.

N~
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [rnrgrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not all. Toward the end of his show he says that cyclists shouldn't be riding where there aren't bike lanes. What an idiot. The bike lanes are only painted in the city.
He also slips in a pot shot at asian drivers during the show. A real winner of a guy.

Has anyone written a letter to Farmer's Insurance yet? I would think that would be one of the main advertisers to take notice. Especially with lines like,"I want you...I want you as my hood ornament."

John
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates on this situation? Has he made an apology?

Thanks,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [srgraves] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just got this email from the VP of KFMB, oddly she/he didn't even answer my question, and assumed I was asking about the biking incident, very intersting. So Gary, did you write another letter:

Thank you for taking the time to write and express your concerns and opinions about the Rick Roberts Show on March 20, and the topic of cycling.

I heard much of the show to which you refer, and today have listened to the entire broadcast from Monday morning, March 20 and Tuesday morning, March 21.

First of all, Rick’s comments are very clearly directed toward bicyclists who do not follow the laws, just as he is outspoken against bad drivers. Several times in the discussion, Rick expressed that not all bike riders are bad, but a lot of them are.

More importantly, at no time did he encourage anyone to “make cyclists a hood ornament” or cause any damage to anyone. KFMB, and Rick Roberts, would never advocate causing physical damage to anyone. Rick did make a reference to bicyclists “becoming hood ornaments”, in a satirical reference regarding the danger cyclists create when they fail to stay in the bicycle lanes, ride dangerously or ignore traffic laws. In no manner did Rick endorse malicious or dangerous behavior. His comments were satirical, and if you honestly and objectively listen to the full context of the show, it is obvious that he was not encouraging anyone to harm a cyclist. At no time did Rick incite, encourage or even suggest the idea of running into a cyclist.

In fact, on Monday’s show (8am hour), Rick said:

“Nobody wants to see anyone hit, or injured or, God forbid, killed.”

At another point in the show, he said:

“You don’t ever want to hit a bicyclist”

He also clearly made the point that when he encounters a group of bicyclists, he is careful to slow down and actually tries to avoid passing them, in order to avoid making contact with them.

On Tuesday morning’s show, Rick clarified his position and opinion clearly and emphatically. He revisited the topic and addressed the complaints, when he responded to complaints.

One of the loudest and earliest objectors to the show is Gary Tingley, a member of the Board of Directors of the San Diego Cyclo-Vets Cycling Club. Gary sent a mass email to groups that misrepresented was invited to appear on the Rick Roberts Show yesterday but after hearing Rick’s explanation on Tuesday morning, sent the following comments via email:

“Now that Rick has clarified his comments were satire, I have changed my opinion. Originally, there was no mention of satire - I actually thought he advocated running down cyclists and make them hood ornaments for his truck - and that is some scary stuff - too many of us have died or been hit this year.”

Gary was invited to appear on the show, but declined.

KFMB welcomes your comments, thoughts and opinions and we invite you to share your thoughts on Rick’s show. He is on weekday mornings from 5-10am. If you, or someone you know, represents bicycling organizations, we would love to offer the opportunity to be a guest on the show for dialogue on the topic.

If you actually listen to the shows (all of the shows are available in podcast form at our website (www.760kfmb.com), you will realize that the claims of Rick Roberts and KFMB encouraging violence or doing harm to cyclists is simply not true.

You may disagree with Rick’s opinion of cyclists. That’s up to you, but the emails that are being spread and claims made about this show encouraging damage or harm to cyclists are simply not accurate representations of the truth.

Again, thank you for your concern and calling our attention to the topic.

Respectfully,
Tracy Johnson

VP/GM

KFMB

Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 10:50 AM
To: Tracy Johnson; Dave Sniff
Subject: Are program transcripts available?

Hello,

I was wondering if there are transcripts available of your programs. If they are available, what would I need to do to get them?

Thanks,

Bill Creager
Last edited by: bcreager: Mar 22, 06 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman...

Would it be possible to "sticky" this thread until the issue has been resolved?

John
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...I got the exact same letter in response to my e-mail! Now, I clearly remember listening to Rick say he wanted to make that one letter writer his hood ornament. What a bunch of assholes.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I remember hearing the same, I'm looking to see if there is an FCC law that required hard copies, and I'm going to request them again. Then reference them with the audio, that is downloaded in my PC at home.

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys

You heard correctly. As did I. No, Rick never said,"Go out and run over cyclists." He did continuously insult cyclists and rant in an anti-cycling manner that could encourage drivers to take "opportunities" to have accidents w/ cyclists. That's MY beef. You know, any of those radicals that are fed up and just looking for some twisted excuse to believe they are doing no wrong by it. I doubt there are any of those radicals that listen to his show, NOT. You don't need to specifically give someone an order just to plant an idea in his or her head. RR's comments are no help in making things safer for anyone. This man has a show that gives him the power to reach and influence people with his rantings. Someone needs to pull his choker.

As I posted yesterday, I emailed a couple of cycling advocate sites. www.cicle.org being on of them. Take a look over there and see what they have to say.

In case you're looking RR... Bend over I would LOVE to make you my FOOT ornament. OVER and OVER!!!!!!

That was satire you know...

John
Last edited by: inSANe DIEGO: Mar 22, 06 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [inSANe DIEGO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The troublesome part is that the average IQ of a listener to this type of "entertainment" is quite a bit lower than the population as a whole.

Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow...I got the exact same letter in response to my e-mail! Now, I clearly remember listening to Rick say he wanted to make that one letter writer his hood ornament. What a bunch of assholes.

Spot
I think that they're probably thrilled that people are actually listening to this yahoo.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [inSANe DIEGO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hummm... I just noticed that Gary edited his orginal post on advice from his lawyer. I guess that would explain why he hasn't been posting on this topic.

Any more news on a transcript of the offending parts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listened to one of the podcasts and in a discussion with a caller (an 84 year old cyclist) he says:

"All I'm saying is if you don't want to be a hood ornament, keep your butt over there in the bike lane."

How is this NOT a threat? Who talks to 80 year old men this way!?! He ends this discussion with a horn and crashing sound.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.
Last edited by: trailbait: Mar 22, 06 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to listen to some of the podcasts, however have found it fairly difficult because the guy is an ignoramus. From what I've heard it does sound like he can use the excuse of sature, and the way he gets around things is by getting his callers to say the stuff that would get him in trouble.

I find it ironic that in the 4th hour of the March 22nd broadcast he says that he doesn't advocate sueing, and then continues to say that if Gary doesn't retract then he will sue him.

Anyway, I'm interested to see where this goes. Like one caller on the show said, we all know too many people that have been hit by cars. Drivers must realize that it is not ok to pass a cyclist unless it can be done in a safe manner. Yes, this does mean you may have to drive slow for a while, but it is the law. Abide by it or take the bus.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've been trying to listen to some of the podcasts, however have found it fairly difficult because the guy is an ignoramus. From what I've heard it does sound like he can use the excuse of sature, and the way he gets around things is by getting his callers to say the stuff that would get him in trouble.

I find it ironic that in the 4th hour of the March 22nd broadcast he says that he doesn't advocate sueing, and then continues to say that if Gary doesn't retract then he will sue him.

Anyway, I'm interested to see where this goes. Like one caller on the show said, we all know too many people that have been hit by cars. Drivers must realize that it is not ok to pass a cyclist unless it can be done in a safe manner. Yes, this does mean you may have to drive slow for a while, but it is the law. Abide by it or take the bus.
Amen and well said. Same LAW in my state as well. I printed out some copies of the Ohio Revised Code for bicycles/traffic laws and I printed them on self stick Avery peel paper. If I see a car acting erraticly, cutting off a cyclist, clipping me, etc. and I "catch" them (later at a light, parking lot, etc.). I'll stick the law on their window for them to browse. Gets the message home without much irritation to the driver and honestly, most people don't know that a cyclist has the right to be on the road (unless properly marked) and even has the right under most circumstances to be 2 abrest. I have even been clocked by a police officer (and Park Ranger no less) with RADAR and was threatended a ticket a few times for speeding (actually once with Record10 in a park - who else :)

Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I printed out some copies of the Ohio Revised Code for bicycles/traffic laws and I printed them on self stick Avery peel paper. If I see a car acting erraticly, cutting off a cyclist, clipping me, etc. and I "catch" them (later at a light, parking lot, etc.). I'll stick the law on their window for them to browse.[/reply]

That's huge. How long is it? Just a few bullet points or multiple pages?
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Trey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, just some parts pertaining to bicycles (not very long). Just print it, shrink it down, and make sure the chapter, etc. is easily noted on top

Most states bicycle laws can be found online.

Here is a link with LOTS of info for Ohio and links to a few other states (CA as well and PA)

http://www.ohiobike.org/ORC_Proposals.htm

Last edited by: rroof: Mar 22, 06 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahaha, you and record10 got pulled over? i love that! don't tell me, Caesar Creek...
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary, its unfortunate that you folded on this issue. I went back and listen to the broadcast on 3/20 in hour 2....the email that he reads says the same thing that yours does..."that advocates violent towards cyclists". That's the same thing that he has a problem with in our email. So why didn't he threaten to sue the first guy??

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first guy (Bill) called back on 3/21 hourr 4 about 5 minutes from the end of the broadcast and said his comments were tongue-in-cheek or some such nonsense and that he never thought that RR was advocating violence. Crazy stuff. I'd guess RR's lawyer has boilerplate text for getting him out of these types of jams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's not count Gary out yet. He may really be following the advice of his attorney. Many of us don't have the resources to be able to afford to go head to head with a guy that has a station paid attorney in office- and you know they do because of what they do daily. From what I read RR hasn't a leg to stand on in a lawsuit and he is just being the bully trying to scare us. He picked Gary because he sees him as the "captain of this ship" However, I am no lawyer and I don't know for sure what Gary might have sent to RR and others in his mass emails.

What I do know is that even if Gary is out, I'm sure he had his reasons and we shouldn't let that tear us apart. I've done about all I can and notified a few advocacy sites, as mentioned earlier, and I think we need to just be very systematic if we want something done. If RR has ground just from Gary saying that RR advocated violence, then we have a lot more ground for harassment, both in group discrimination/intimidation and even assaults on sexual identity. (b.t.w. I do remember him making an all-encompassing statement containing the words,"all cyclists") We also have plenty of podcast instances of him saying things that are extremely hateful in tone and verbage. He could be construed as an instigator at the least. He said on air that he has no problem with us expressing our opinions so let's hit the advertisers with letters stating our opinions about how he makes us feel- how we think that his words and actions create a major negative association with them. We have quotes we can use. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE QUOTE EXACT AND DON'T STRETCH TO PULL IT OUT OF CONTEXT.

For ideas on how to state your points check out www.cicle.org They put a well written article about RR on their front page. The wheels are turning...don't lose the momentum.

John
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]ahaha, you and record10 got pulled over? i love that! don't tell me, Caesar Creek...[/reply]

Yup - we were leading last years training ride back in through the park and we were screaming down toward the lake at 30mph + The Park Ranger asked us if we were racing. Nope we said. Then he said he clocked us at whatever speed. Record10 was just about ready to bust out laughing and I was trying to be serious ... Until ... he said we could get points on our license (which we can't). He most certainly could give us a speeding ticket - which I would willingly pay AND FRAME. :)

Quote | Reply
So, is there any update on this Story? From what I gathered on yesterday's podcast there was supposed to be some sort of response today. Can someone who listened to this today give a summery?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The whole...."that was satire" lol....gimmie a break...

You can't throw gasoline on a fire and then step back and say..."wait...but I didn't START that fire...it was already here...besides...it was all in good fun"

:rolls eyes:

------------------
The world is full of pricks who can only criticize. Are you one of them?

Your time and energy are limited. Are you wasting them by talking shit on the forums? -Dave Tate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary was invited to appear on the show, but declined.

KFMB welcomes your comments, thoughts and opinions and we invite you to share your thoughts on Rick’s show. He is on weekday mornings from 5-10am. If you, or someone you know, represents bicycling organizations, we would love to offer the opportunity to be a guest on the show for dialogue on the topic.

Here's an idea, why not have a family member that lost a son, daughter, husband or wife, to an irresponsible driver on his show...let him explain his ignorance face to face to someone who lost a family member to a tragic cycling accident...

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [tri_gear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah....why couldn't gary (or anyone else that wrote letters) claim the same thing he did....oops, I forgot to mention that was satire

-bcreager
Quote Reply

Prev Next