Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dumbest thing done on bike EVER- poll [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really surprised this one hasn't already made somebody's list, so I'll go ahead and offer it myself...

There I am, riding along, and I look down to see that one of my bar-end plugs is loose, just barely hanging in there. No problem, I think, just reinsert it--right? So I reach down with the palm of my hand and give it a forceful whack, a really good, solid hit. Guess what a good, solid whack to one side of your drop bars does?

Note to self: Don't ever give a loose bar-end plug a good, solid whack while "just riding along;" You won't be "just riding along" very much longer.

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest thing done on bike EVER- poll [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) After watching an Evil Knevil stunt on TV, I decide to jump off the 6 ft drop off at the end of the street where the desert meets the road on my trusty Royce Union at age 11.

Result: Chipped front tooth and bloody lip

2) A friend of mine was riding on my handlebars when I was about 12. We were with a few other friends and I thought I would be funny to see him riding on the handlebars with no rider. I pick up a bit of speed and bail off the back of the banana seat.

My friend goes down the road solo screaming and out of control on the bars until he starts to wobble and gets planted in the field. He got the wind knocked out of him and suffered a concussion.

Result: One less friend

3) At 13, myself and a few friends of mine rode down a large hill in the desert. At the bottom of the hill was a dirt parking lot and I thought it would be cool to brake late, pitch it sideways and end up right next to the large construction truck parked in the lot. Of course I underestimated my stopping distance with my trusty bendix brakes and slit into the back of the bumber of the truck.

Result: Trip to the hospital for stitches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in 5th grade delivering news papers. just riding down the street on my butterfly handlebar cruiser, I was just getting ready to toss a paper onto a lawn when wham.... I find myself laying on the roof of a parked car looking at the sky. ran right into the dam thing and never saw it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 12 years old, played an interesting variation of chicken. Who could crash into a brick wall the hardest before the fork bends. We were riding our old clunkers.

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some awesome stories here. love the ones involving fixing a mechanical on the bike (and brake calipers!). superb.

it would never dawn on me to fix a mechanical on the bike cus i couldn't fix one while stationery. (yep i'm no bike mechanic).

Ben H - nice story about the bar ends.

all the dumb things i have done are so dumb i'm never really surprised i end up in hospital.

interesting comment that all the stories are from men. birds must be more brainy. scary....
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest thing done on bike EVER- poll [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of these stories are amazingly funny and scary. Here's my top 3:

1: Slamming into a parked car (others have had to have done this). That hurt

2. Riding no hands (hands locked behind my back) on my Nishiki International down a steep road while aiming directly toward the curb, getting as close as possible then turning my hips quickly the other way as to make the handlebars jerk back toward the curb on the opposite side...back and forth, back and forth..till I got too close once and slammed the curb. Spectacular bloody crash witnessed by a jerky neighbor kid named Craig Ackerman who just laughed his ass off (bastard, I hate him still).

3. Riding "off road" with my buddies on my banana-seated chopper bike with no shoes on...tore my big toe nail clean off (very painful and bloody). No shoe at school on that foot for a week.

No helmet of course as they hadn't really been invented yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest thing done on bike EVER- poll [chrismaginn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the dumbest thing yesterday. Not funny, just plain stupid. My friend, riding just past dusk, in a dark jersey on the wrong side of the road, no helmet. He was paramedic friendly as he did have a baseball hat on. I never saw him as I turned the corner and missed him by 4-5 feet as he was getting ready to cross the street running a red light. He's leading the Darwin Awards race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of these stories are a hoot.

Two stories here:

1. As a young man with a new Schwinn Phantom I would race towards an intersection (with sand in the middle) as hard as possible, hit the coaster brake and see how many turns I could do. I discovered that the faster you went the more likely you were to not have to cut the grass for a week. :) I think I still have about 20 scars from that time period. I finally stopped when I broke my left wrist, even though I had developed a "following" among a few of the younger guys. :)

2. During a triathlon in the '80's my seat clamp came undone and I rode the last 10 miles or so sitting on the seat post and standing some. (This is not to be done at home. Professional driver on closed course, doing Lithium.) Ouchee!! :),

God, I love bikes. :)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply

Prev Next