Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle mount bottle holders
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'm going to be in the market for a bottle mount rack that attaches to my saddle rails. Anyone using the minoura seat mount holder? How does it compare to the x-labs? Any other choices?

thanks, Ron
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle mount bottle holders [rond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone using the minoura seat mount holder?

That's what I have. I think it works great. It's light, simple, cheap, and works! There is also room, just barely, for a spare tire, etc, on the horizontal rails; or, a small bag under the saddle.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took mine off the bottles really bugged me on descents [hit my buttocks] and It was a pain to use

I prefer a camelback or inside the triangle bottle mounts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got an XLab system for Xmas and so far it's great. I like the fact that I can attach my extra tubes, CO2 cartridges and adapters really easily.

One downside is that it's on the spendy side compared to the Minoura - but that's what Santa is for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the X-Lab and like it, especially being able to carry the CO2 cartriges on the rear. Only thing to be careful of is while on bumpy roads, you need to reach back every so often and make sure they are seated or it is easy to launch a bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I remember reading that Cobb recommened not doing this for aero reasons but he said if you have to then do not get the one that attaches to the seat but to the seat post because it will be protected from the wind more. Not the one that sits level with the seat(x-lab). I wish his site was up to check on this again.
Quote Reply
I'll remember that [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the next club ride

note to self: watch for projectiles from Mike's bike

LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Minouras are great. Keeps your bottles behind you which is good and makes it easy to rack your bike. My understanding is that it is an aero improvement over the Xlab because it sits behind you and doesn't disrupt the air flow off your back by sticking up so high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Cheetah water bottle holder. It s the coolest and very most exclusive thing I have found. This beats the pants off of the X Lab for weight, and it is very attractive. With the cages it only cost around $70, not bad for a nice bit of beautifully finished carbon fibre with some very stout cages.

I think this would be better on a Softride than some of the other behind-the-saddle solutions out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle mount bottle holders [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunnyman,

thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with these. Do you have a link you could post?

Thanks,

Ron
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This link will get you to the Cheetah website: www.catbikes.ch

Go to the image-mapped picture of the Cheetah, then you can get a good look at the water bottle holder. E-mail Dane and make sure she has some. Go to XE.com to look up the exchange rates from Swiss Francs to dollars.
Last edited by: bunnyman: Jan 29, 03 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle mount bottle holders [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ive used the saddlewing and hated that. Now i got a flatwing which sits lower and thus helps aerodynamically. What Cobb said in that article is that c/back is best but a carrier that sits lower (as opposed to the Cheetah model or the Saddlewing) is next best. Currently, im working on building a carbon version similar to the flatwing, but it'll be different/better, and a lot lighter. I'll post a pic when i got it finished.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle mount bottle holders [Brian from WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to do a double take on this post (Brian in WA vs brad in WA). Plus I got an XLab for Christmas too! I went w/ the flatwing based on the cobb comments mentioned in other posts. I chose the xlab over the minoura based on the x-nut (co2 cartridge attachment) thing. now, I don't use it. I still need a tube, multi-tool, & tire irons. attaching w/ a strap would leave a very dirty mess that still might slip out. so I'm using one of my 4 bottle mounts to hold a small bottle filled w/ my tools. we'll see what I decide when a race actually arrives.

based on dan's comments, I was worried about bottle launch. I use the blackburn stainless cages (they don't mark up the bottles like the alloy ones do) on the triangle bosses, so decided to try them on the flatwing. so far so good. no launches and nothing that makes me think it will happen. though I never say never.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
supposedly bottles on the frame are more aero in off-axis windy conditions.. and just as aero as the behind the saddle deal. At least John Cobb thinks so:

http://www.analyticcycling.com/.../RiderAeroStudy.html

mike
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle mount bottle holders [mpanoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

I should have stated in this post that I'm going to be using this holder on a Softride TT7. The bike has braze on's for 1 water bottle so I'm seaking alternate methods of water transport. I've tried camelbacks and they work great but I don't like the way they feel on my back so I thought I'd try a seat mount bottle holder.

ron
Quote Reply